Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is the ideal cut of ‘Alien’:

https://youtu.be/VuFK9i3H30M

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Wrong. This is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hla94Y_MaQo

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Xenomrph posted:

This is amazing.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

Loved the stapler tongue.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Distinct lack of underwear for the final showdown tho

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

A co-worker sold this to me for $25; did I get a good deal? It's not been opened, as far as I can tell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s great figure yeah. And also the current going rate for Neca predators is 40 so yes

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Wait til you see the going price for the sigma predator figurine

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A year and a half later, my order from Nostromo Crew has shipped.

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
E: sorry, I’m an rear end in a top hat

Von Pluring fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 23, 2023

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ATRightMovies/status/1661664770808766466?t=IIrBE74NecCAy5efJoyryA&s=19

I got a kick out of this after reading the discussions in here about the "cargo hold cavern", thought you guys would too.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
New deep dive. I’m in. https://youtu.be/_Cd9BPFdmyM

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

First of the packages came in, Brett's Hat and the ashtray seen on the ship:

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
https://twitter.com/TheSpaceshipper/status/1661730337955934209?t=wULnib_0dBp6Uo07Iii59A&s=19

Will this be any good?

Edit

Sorry They had it first. Should have clicked through.

ScottyJSno fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 26, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've never played a Tactics game but this looks pretty solid, it's not run and gunny and it looks like you actually have to take your time and plan poo poo. I like that, I feel like that's the core of Aliens, things don't get actiony until poo poo hits the fan in the movie but the rest of the time they're problem solving. Definitely going to check this one out.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I will enjoy dressing up my marine at least. The hood and cloak look kinda cool.

Some parts look amateurish - like the acid splashes are all the same and pretty over the top, and it seems weird how the marines all squeeze themselves together behind cover in one big lump.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

sigher posted:

First of the packages came in, Brett's Hat and the ashtray seen on the ship:

No ring.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Took me a second.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Ooooh please share details of that keyboard!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sigher posted:

I've never played a Tactics game but this looks pretty solid, it's not run and gunny and it looks like you actually have to take your time and plan poo poo. I like that, I feel like that's the core of Aliens, things don't get actiony until poo poo hits the fan in the movie but the rest of the time they're problem solving. Definitely going to check this one out.

I was insanely into this type of game back in the day both turn based and this real time w/slow down/pausing kind of thing. I'm so hype now to see one of these attached to a license like Aliens. I honestly wasn't paying attention to the game at all until seeing you're post here because I figured it was like a follow up to the Aliens Fireteam game which didn't really grab me (though that game rules for what it is).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SHISHKABOB posted:

I got a kick out of this after reading the discussions in here about the "cargo hold cavern", thought you guys would too.

That brings up an interesting question: what’s up with the “Space Jockey”? What’s his deal?

One of the more consistently overlooked details in Alien is that the crab thing doesn’t directly leap onto John Hurt’s face. The crab first goes through a lengthy process of somehow tunnelling through the helmet’s visor and then squishing itself in through a small hole.

So, Jokey’s found next to a hole apparently melted through the floor. As we’ve gone over earlier, Cameron’s (mis)interpretation of this scene is that a very large alien popped out of Jokey and then dug a tunnel into the basement, where it proceeded to lay a bunch of eggs everywhere. However, from what we see from Kane, the actual implication is that one or more crabs clawed their way up into the ship, in basically the same way that the other one burrowed into Kane’s suit.

From this, one interesting conclusion is that the entire derelict spacecraft constitutes Jokey’s ‘suit’. Like, the actual character is the entire ship.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

his divine shadow

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Live pilot reaction

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SUNKOS posted:

Ooooh please share details of that keyboard!

I detailed the build in the Keyboard Megathread but I actually killed it a couple days ago by spilling water in it and they don't sell the PCB anymore...

:negative:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My instinct is that this is going to fall into the budget game trap of trying to extend a game's lifespan by building in replayability at the expense of thinning out the core experience ('the hive has launched a hunt'), but the core mechanics just aren't going to be interesting enough to sustain more than one playthrough. Horde survival games like L4D work because the interaction between your teammates and the semi-random enemy waves generates a narrative, but without a group of other people around games like this tend to have combat encounters that just blur together.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

one interesting conclusion

is that interesting though?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The whole Dallas outfit and Brett's hat:

It's pretty drat comfy, too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is that interesting though?

Yes. Obviously.

What the fan wikis miss is that Jokey’s presence in the film is contextualized by the scene at the beginning of the film where Mother has a ‘conversation’ with an anthropomorphized chair. This scene takes place pretty much immediately after Mother has successfully decoded the message from Jokey, where he literally tells Mother “don’t come down here, or what happened to me will happen to you”, and Mother’s effective response is “God, I wish that were me. I want that to happen to me.”

So, understanding what happened to Jokey is fairly important to understanding the whole second half of the film, after Ash breaks the quarantine.

Probably the key point is that Jokey fuckin’ died, man. Crabs swarmed up from below and took him out, without difficulty. (As with a lot of scenes in the film, that directionality is important.) So, Mother’s clearly not interested in obtaining what Jokey had; the gigantic horseshoe-body built up around a central ‘brain’ was a bad design. Imperfect organism, right? She’s found something better.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What the gently caress

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yes. Obviously.

What the fan wikis miss is that Jokey’s presence in the film is contextualized by the scene at the beginning of the film where Mother has a ‘conversation’ with an anthropomorphized chair. This scene takes place pretty much immediately after Mother has successfully decoded the message from Jokey, where he literally tells Mother “don’t come down here, or what happened to me will happen to you”, and Mother’s effective response is “God, I wish that were me. I want that to happen to me.”

So, understanding what happened to Jokey is fairly important to understanding the whole second half of the film, after Ash breaks the quarantine.

Probably the key point is that Jokey fuckin’ died, man. Crabs swarmed up from below and took him out, without difficulty. (As with a lot of scenes in the film, that directionality is important.) So, Mother’s clearly not interested in obtaining what Jokey had; the gigantic horseshoe-body built up around a central ‘brain’ was a bad design. Imperfect organism, right? She’s found something better.

thats right

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
mother takes a trip to ann summers

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Poor mother, thought of filling her holes and died

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

sigher posted:

The whole Dallas outfit and Brett's hat:

It's pretty drat comfy, too.

i'm just parsing the useless vestigial G-suit capstan lacing--like a future space version of a tank commander wearing spurs?

is it stitched right through the pen pocket on the left arm tho?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's all just aesthetic, and yeah, it's stitched over the original RAF pen pocket on the shoulder like the original prop. Actually, those front laced sections have velcro on the top and you can use them as weird pockets, or open them with the side zippers for access. Underneath them is another zipper, but those are the original jacket pockets as well.

There's a pocket on the back under the collar so you can carry stuff on your upper back...?

The guy who makes these sources period RAF jackets to make the replicas.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

you got me searching haha, looks like it would have come with a hood:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I discovered this game via this thread and have been enjoying the updates. It might actually be decent? They seem to be putting a lot of effort into story and while it does look like the most predictable one that could be chosen for an Alien game, they're toying with some fun new things judging by the trailer and I think it's cool to see the creepy Isolation droids again. Noticed a mechanic for your squad members getting taken back to the hive as well in a brief gameplay shot. Does unfortunately have some stuff that doesn't look so great however, like the crazy hulking armored xenomorph, but the good seems to outweigh the bad and I'm hoping it turns out solid. Releases next week apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUBkNEDprao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUNKOS posted:

I discovered this game via this thread and have been enjoying the updates. It might actually be decent? They seem to be putting a lot of effort into story and while it does look like the most predictable one that could be chosen for an Alien game, they're toying with some fun new things judging by the trailer and I think it's cool to see the creepy Isolation droids again. Noticed a mechanic for your squad members getting taken back to the hive as well in a brief gameplay shot. Does unfortunately have some stuff that doesn't look so great however, like the crazy hulking armored xenomorph, but the good seems to outweigh the bad and I'm hoping it turns out solid. Releases next week apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUBkNEDprao

I'm looking forward to this too.

Have there been other Alien games where you can get captured/rescued again? The only other one I can think of is Aliens: Thanatos Encounter. In that one instead of having lives you have a squad of marines you can switch between/equip in whatever order you want, and if one gets caught if you're fast enough you can descend into one of the hive areas before a timer runs out to bust them out and you can play as them again. Cool game in general, like Alien Syndrome but an official game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm looking forward to this too.

Have there been other Alien games where you can get captured/rescued again? The only other one I can think of is Aliens: Thanatos Encounter. In that one instead of having lives you have a squad of marines you can switch between/equip in whatever order you want, and if one gets caught if you're fast enough you can descend into one of the hive areas before a timer runs out to bust them out and you can play as them again. Cool game in general, like Alien Syndrome but an official game.

You can get marines captured and then rescue them in Aliens: Infestation for the Nintendo DS as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The great big blaring klaxon is that we are 4 days from release and nobody has done a preview, much less indicated they have review code.