Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm trying to explain to a friend about how the IPCC are super hosed up. Created by Ronald Reagan, lead by people whose qualifications are in Economics or Engineering etc, and whose previous work experience is in working for Exxon-Mobil.

Does anyone have sources or information that can help me in this? Beyond the obvious stuff that's on the IPCC Wikipedia article. More about how they've been captured by Capital at every stage since.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MightyBigMinus posted:

the ipcc is good and you are a dumbass making poo poo up

Which part of my post was made up? Who is the current chair of the IPCC, and was Ronald Reagan instrumental in its creation because he cared so much about the environment? Like I literally took my information for that post from Wikipedia, which isn't rigorous research, but it's not something I just invented out of thin air.

Trabisnikof posted:

The politicization comes in from how questions are framed and which sections get elevated to the Summary for Policymakers and thus get reported to the media at all.

Thanks, this makes sense.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

cat botherer posted:

Just spitballing here, but is there a way to make planes run on coal? That could really help things out.
If they're electric that's easy.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

You're thinking too small, we have to make the plants run on coal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
IT'S HAPPENING

quote:

Mars bars have been given a new look with recyclable paper wrappers instead of plastic.

It is part of a pilot, trialling more environmentally friendly materials for Mars Food's chocolate bars.

The new packaging will be rolled out at 500 Tesco stores in the UK from Monday.

INCREMENTAL CHANGE IS HAPPENING

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Lol old spice rolled out deoderant in paper compostable tubes and already discontinued them.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

Lol old spice rolled out deoderant in paper compostable tubes and already discontinued them.

Spray or roll?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Spray or roll?

The uh white paste style?

This is back when they announced it
https://us.pg.com/blogs/major-brands-introduce-all-paper-packaging/

I buy stuff from a niche small company in the same containers and they work well but people are big babies mostly so i figured a big brand wouldnt last long doing it and i was right.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 07:53 on May 29, 2023

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Spray or roll?

Imagine putting pressurised deodorant in a paper tube

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I think you need to slice this carefully.

The IPCC climate science is amazing, it truly is one of the greatest scientific endeavors ever attempted. The underlying science is strong and as much as this thread loves to pretend otherwise, the actual scientific claims are matching our reality.

The politicization comes in from how questions are framed and which sections get elevated to the Summary for Policymakers and thus get reported to the media at all.

Like deep in the reports they say many of the things this thread believes but those conclusions don’t make it to the SFP. Like they say our current societies cannot continue to exist and we must transform faster than human history if we want their successors to survive. They say that market solutions can’t solve climate change. They even say one of the best case scenarios is that mass heat death in enough wealthy countries is one of our best options for actually kicking off meaningful change. None of that makes it into the headlines about the IPCC.

The COPs are the political process where they fight on which parts of the science to bury and which they want to cherry-pick and promote.

As far as drilling into the ways the political process obscures the science, there’s a good twitter thread someone posted a while back about the very specific demands each country’s political delegation demanded during the last round of negotiations. In particular the rich countries stalled the debate long enough that the delegates from the poor countries couldn’t afford to stay so they left and wow what do you know the rich countries got their agenda approved lol.

the imf works on the same model. every year the research wing with no political power comes out with papers saying austerity is bad, forgiving loans makes sense, etc., and the policy wing with all the political power buries it and goes "more money for capital, gently caress you."

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
"Believe science" means "shut the gently caress up and quit asking questions peasant." How are north americans going to understand scientific info when half of them can't read? Something to think about the next time a liberal tries to tell you what your opinions should be.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
we're saved

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1663163477228154880

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Which part of my post was made up? Who is the current chair of the IPCC, and was Ronald Reagan instrumental in its creation because he cared so much about the environment? Like I literally took my information for that post from Wikipedia, which isn't rigorous research, but it's not something I just invented out of thin air.
doing a surface skim of a page or two on wikipedia and then dismissing the entire org based on two lines is *exactly* what makes you a dumbass. that is the signature pattern of a stupid person looking for the most threadbare justification they can find for their contrarian spit take. this isnt even an ipcc thing, this is a you being a poo poo thinker/poster thing.

#1 - the chair of the ipcc graduted with his phd in 1975 and worked for three years as an economist at exxon mobile. IN THE SEVENTIES. in 1992 he joined the ipcc and has worked there now for twenty+ years. for you to dismiss him as an "exxonmobile economist" is a genuinely stupid take. a perfect example of using vague keyword association because you lack any actual understanding of a subject.

#2 - raygun gave zero shits and had zero involvement in the ipcc. just because something happens during a presidential administration doesn't mean the president did it. another very typical stupid opinion pattern.

this really isn't about the ipcc, its about you trying to pretend you're smarter than and can therefore be dismissive of the single most authoritative organization on a given topic because you skimmed wikipedia.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MightyBigMinus posted:

doing a surface skim of a page or two on wikipedia and then dismissing the entire org based on two lines is *exactly* what makes you a dumbass. that is the signature pattern of a stupid person looking for the most threadbare justification they can find for their contrarian spit take. this isnt even an ipcc thing, this is a you being a poo poo thinker/poster thing.

#1 - the chair of the ipcc graduted with his phd in 1975 and worked for three years as an economist at exxon mobile. IN THE SEVENTIES. in 1992 he joined the ipcc and has worked there now for twenty+ years. for you to dismiss him as an "exxonmobile economist" is a genuinely stupid take. a perfect example of using vague keyword association because you lack any actual understanding of a subject.

#2 - raygun gave zero shits and had zero involvement in the ipcc. just because something happens during a presidential administration doesn't mean the president did it. another very typical stupid opinion pattern.

this really isn't about the ipcc, its about you trying to pretend you're smarter than and can therefore be dismissive of the single most authoritative organization on a given topic because you skimmed wikipedia.

I didn't think I'm smarter than them, I thought their goals have been subverted. Trabisnikof already posted a great explanation to me about how the political process can obscure the science.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm trying to explain to a friend about how the IPCC are super hosed up. Created by Ronald Reagan, lead by people whose qualifications are in Economics or Engineering etc, and whose previous work experience is in working for Exxon-Mobil.

Does anyone have sources or information that can help me in this? Beyond the obvious stuff that's on the IPCC Wikipedia article. More about how they've been captured by Capital at every stage since.
The IPCC is comically corrupt, I would say hopelessly so after 2002 when the Bush Administration arranged to have the Robert Watson who chaired the body removed in response to a very public request from ExxonMobil. The chilling effect was catastrophic and this was the last time the IPCC was lead by an atmospheric scientist. The current Chair is an economist who started his career at ExxonMobil

The issue people have with criticizing the IPCC is there is no alternative, the only way anyone can imagine of tackling the climate crisis with any effect is a big international agreement, and all the actual do gooder boffins are investing everything they have into the IPCC process.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

DynamicSloth posted:

The IPCC is comically corrupt, I would say hopelessly so after 2002 when the Bush Administration arranged to have the Robert Watson who chaired the body removed in response to a very public request from ExxonMobil. The chilling effect was catastrophic and this was the last time the IPCC was lead by an atmospheric scientist. The current Chair is an economist who started his career at ExxonMobil

The issue people have with criticizing the IPCC is there is no alternative, the only way anyone can imagine of tackling the climate crisis with any effect is a big international agreement, and all the actual do gooder boffins are investing everything they have into the IPCC process.

you are phenomenally stupid

having worked at exxon for 3 years 50 loving years ago doesn't mean poo poo, hth

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

having worked at exxon for 3 years 50 loving years ago doesn't mean poo poo, hth

what if it was working at exxon for 50 years 3 years ago????

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

So you think Dick Cheney wasn't funneling business to Halliburton since he wasn't working there when he was VP? :thunk:

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Ok, has he done anything in the intervening 50 years to suggest he wasn't exactly the kind of person Exxon wanted in the job when they had Watson replaced?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

turn on ur monitor

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Not only that, in the 70s Exxon had already recognized the existence of climate change and was pursuing research into alternative energy. They didn't really commit to denial as a strategy until the mid-80s, way after this guy had moved on

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So when this totally objective economist person with no then-current ties to Exxon got appointed, did Exxon or another oil company send more unhappy letters or say something along the lines of being glad that thoughtful scientific balance as opposed to radical left wing politics was now in charge?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dashcam-video-shows-out-of-control-nova-scotia-wildfire-1.6417621

halifax and nova scotia are now also on fire

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

No doubt there's lots of political pressure to highlight optimistic future scenarios in the IPCC summaries and bury any critique of the growth-obsessed system that got us into this mess but even if they were brutally honest about that in the summaries, I doubt it would move the needle at all. We haven't done poo poo and won't do poo poo.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

Not only that, in the 70s Exxon had already recognized the existence of climate change and was pursuing research into alternative energy. They didn't really commit to denial as a strategy until the mid-80s, way after this guy had moved on
Again he's an economist not a scientist or for that matter PR flack, he didn't leave Exxon and start evangelizing about the existence of climate change or pursuing alternative energy. He got his credentials from Exxon then waived them around to get other highly placed gigs in industry adjacent research, up to and including when he was appointed as IPCC Chair. You may not care where he started his career, but Exxon sure does, not least because the object lesson keeps everyone else in line.

antipattern posted:

No doubt there's lots of political pressure to highlight optimistic future scenarios in the IPCC summaries and bury any critique of the growth-obsessed system that got us into this mess but even if they were brutally honest about that in the summaries, I doubt it would move the needle at all. We haven't done poo poo and won't do poo poo.

What was lost when Exxon publicly had Watson replaced was any ability of the IPCC to exert independent pressure. Hoesung Lee is non-entity by design. If it was lead by a famous and credible scientist IPCC reports might actually matter, though that is probably hard to imagine after two decades under the cowed IPCC.

DynamicSloth has issued a correction as of 19:18 on May 29, 2023

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

The uh white paste style?

This is back when they announced it
https://us.pg.com/blogs/major-brands-introduce-all-paper-packaging/

I buy stuff from a niche small company in the same containers and they work well but people are big babies mostly so i figured a big brand wouldnt last long doing it and i was right.

Americans flip out at the idea of replacing plastic anything with not plastic. Should have heard how butt rustled my family in Florida was over the thought they might get a paper straw, somewhere, somehow, and it would be the worst thing.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

seems bad

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Important question: has the fires destroyed Oak Island yet? :thunk: Want the Laginas/History Channel to loose their cash cow...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Americans flip out at the idea of replacing plastic anything with not plastic. Should have heard how butt rustled my family in Florida was over the thought they might get a paper straw, somewhere, somehow, and it would be the worst thing.

If it makes them feel any better the plastic straws are still basically plastic treated

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The plastic straws thing confused the poo poo out of me because like i never fuckin use straws. If they give them to me I always ignored them anyway.

Then there's the weird petroleum/plastic funded weirdos who tried to make it into "you are stealing straws from disabled people!!!" part of that culture war that was like uhhhhHHH there's still straws. lots of straw options.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You can grow straws for free they're called reeds

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

i think they're called straw

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
You need a straw? Are you a toddler? Little baby can't hold a glass?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Puppy Burner posted:

You need a straw? Are you a toddler? Little baby can't hold a glass?

Disabled people can need straws.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

RadiRoot posted:

seems bad

There's only one way to stop these fires. Cut down every tree and sell them for profit.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
f a s t e r t h a n e x p e c t e d

quote:

Antarctic alarm bells: Observations reveal deep ocean currents are slowing earlier than predicted

Antarctica sets the stage for the world's greatest waterfall. The action takes place beneath the surface of the ocean. Here, trillions of tons of cold, dense, oxygen-rich water cascade off the continental shelf and sink to great depths. This Antarctic "bottom water" then spreads north along the sea floor in deep ocean currents, before slowly rising, thousands of kilometers away.

In this way, Antarctica drives a global network of ocean currents called the "overturning circulation" that redistributes heat, carbon and nutrients around the globe. The overturning is crucial to keeping Earth's climate stable. It's also the main way oxygen reaches the deep ocean.

But there are signs this circulation is slowing down and it's happening decades earlier than predicted. This slowdown has the potential to disrupt the connection between the Antarctic coasts and the deep ocean, with profound consequences for Earth's climate, sea level and marine life.

Our new research, published today in the journal Nature Climate Change, uses real-world observations to decipher how and why the deep ocean around Antarctica has changed over the past three decades. Our measurements show the overturning circulation has slowed by almost a third (30%) and deep ocean oxygen levels are declining. This is happening even earlier than climate models predicted.

We found melting of Antarctic ice is disrupting the formation of Antarctic bottom water. The meltwater makes Antarctic surface waters fresher, less dense, and therefore less likely to sink. This puts the brakes on the overturning circulation.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Brendan Rodgers posted:

There's only one way to stop these fires. Cut down every tree and sell them for profit.

build MORE houses you say? :thunk:

celadon
Jan 2, 2023

so if everything is happening faster than expected, is it the sort of deal where 10 things being 10% faster makes the whole system go 10% faster, like they all are in parallel, or like 10 things being 10% faster is 1.1^10 = 2.6x faster. cause if all the catastrophes are synergizing it will get stupid really fast

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

celadon posted:

so if everything is happening faster than expected, is it the sort of deal where 10 things being 10% faster makes the whole system go 10% faster, like they all are in parallel, or like 10 things being 10% faster is 1.1^10 = 2.6x faster. cause if all the catastrophes are synergizing it will get stupid really fast

Even when you know it's going to happen faster than you expected, and you try to factor that into a new expectation. It will still happen faster than expected.

Brendan Rodgers has issued a correction as of 22:53 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

celadon posted:

Depends on your expectations