Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, you can even mod it if you want. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m asking for modship in this forum just so I can ban op

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Sorry it's right in the rulebook

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

not on EGS apparently

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I don’t think I’ve ever played any free games that I’ve gotten from Epic.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

obi_ant posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever played any free games that I’ve gotten from Epic.

I don’t even own a gaming PC. But I do have dozens of games on the Epic game store to not play if I get one.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there's a running joke in some online lgbt communities that trans women all really love fallout new vegas, e.g.:

seems like poster Large Testicles was riffing on that
Every once-in-a-while, somebody will tweet "how did you become trans? Wrong answers only" and I'll respond "I have over 900 hours in Fallout: New Vegas."

Every single time, somebody responds, "it's supposed to be wrong answers."

We loving love that game. We joke about how there's no good reason for it, but in addition to being pretty fuckin' queer for a game of that era, it's also entirely about letting the past die to forge a new future, as well as honoring said past while still letting it go.

It's the one of the most trans games to not even so much as mention that we exist.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
To be clear, New Vegas is trans culture the way wearing a Zelda shirt and cargo shorts is trans culture. It isn't, really, every disaffected nerd boy at the time experienced it. It's just that a decent percentage of them are now disaffected nerd women and are making memes for each other.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

fez_machine posted:

not on EGS apparently
There's a tool for that but it's not updated yet.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
The Tale of Two Wastelands was a long install.
I think it copies files to a separate folder and extracts audio or something.
Took like 1h 45m. Plus extra mods.
But it was nice to be able to call Butchs mother a lousy drunk again.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

LividLiquid posted:

Every once-in-a-while, somebody will tweet "how did you become trans? Wrong answers only" and I'll respond "I have over 900 hours in Fallout: New Vegas."

Every single time, somebody responds, "it's supposed to be wrong answers."

We loving love that game. We joke about how there's no good reason for it, but in addition to being pretty fuckin' queer for a game of that era, it's also entirely about letting the past die to forge a new future, as well as honoring said past while still letting it go.

It's the one of the most trans games to not even so much as mention that we exist.
I think another factor here is that F:NV has high reactivity to the player character's gender that goes beyond the usual pronoun/form of address swap.
A lot of characters, including plot-critical ones, treat male and female PCs notably differently, and while that has its downsides, it can also be very affirming.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BGrifter posted:

I don’t even own a gaming PC. But I do have dozens of games on the Epic game store to not play if I get one.

This is the true way. Don’t even own a device that can play the feee games

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I think another factor here is that F:NV has high reactivity to the player character's gender that goes beyond the usual pronoun/form of address swap.
A lot of characters, including plot-critical ones, treat male and female PCs notably differently, and while that has its downsides, it can also be very affirming.

There was also the time a goon picked the Confirmed Bachelor perk without understanding that it was more than just 10% more damage to other males!

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Beve Stuscemi posted:

This is the true way. Don’t even own a device that can play the feee games

I collect free Epic games with the idea that some day I will figure out how to get them working on my Steamdeck. I need to play all my Steam games first though.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Mierenneuker posted:

There was also the time a goon picked the Confirmed Bachelor perk without understanding that it was more than just 10% more damage to other males!

https://twitter.com/SA__moment/status/1597782321888784384?t=-8eK8_j_SYWNBUa-bfoQKA&s=19

Every time I see one of his posts it's all I can think of.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Didn't they also argue with literal developer of the game ropekid about it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mierenneuker posted:

That was so funny.

"I just thought it meant you were a dude's dude."
"Well, it kinda does."

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Didn't they also argue with literal developer of the game ropekid about it?

Yes,

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, because clearly stabbing a guy in the back who thinks he's in love with you is totally gay. Please, that's basically the definition of being a jock; a gay guy falls in love with your manliness and then you beat him up for being weird.

And again, "unique dialogue with members of the same sex"? Yeah, clearly gay. You can't have interesting dialogue with another guy unless it's about some sort of penis-butt interaction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guy Mann really needs to just log off and stop trying to make SA like him

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Started up NV without any modding and actually impressed how decent it looks and plays. I remember installing it a few years with all the recommended mod lists and being annoyed at almost anything, somehow certain mod packers seem to concider a lot of things essential that I really don't care about.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's definitely a game you can have a good time with unmodded (minus the stability/bugfix stuff for an easy ride, and the mod made by the game's director) I played it through 4 or more times on Xbox

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Son of Rodney posted:

Started up NV without any modding and actually impressed how decent it looks and plays. I remember installing it a few years with all the recommended mod lists and being annoyed at almost anything, somehow certain mod packers seem to concider a lot of things essential that I really don't care about.

Yeah, like the Viva New Vegas mod list is mostly cosmetic mods that I don't care about. Like "oh cool, slightly better looking glass bottles." I appreciate the effort, but the game is never gonna look like a triple A title released in last couple of years, it's silly to try.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I liked the mod that made the legion and NCR fight each other more in the wasteland, and added a city they were fighting over. Fallout 4 was kind of fun for that because you would often wander into random factions fighting

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm the person who didn't like FO:NV. There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oldstench posted:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Oldstench posted:

I booted it up and the game stutters like its running at 30 fps, gave me a headache so I stopped playing after I left the house or whatever

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sweeper posted:

I booted it up and the game stutters like its running at 30 fps, gave me a headache so I stopped playing after I left the house or whatever

Give it another chance on PC, if you’re at all into that kind of game.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

I am on PC, its running at 90 fps according to monitor (on a 5900+3090 combo) it just looks stuttery

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
As someone who played through it for the first time last year, I absolutely cannot recommend the Viva New Vegas mod pack enough.

The reason being: It's extremely close to vanilla but while adding some nice QoL features as well as rebalancing in the way that Josh Sawyer (ropekid) was wanting to do but couldn't due to <reasons>.

https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/intro.html

Their page will guide you step-by-step through the entire process, it's very painless, and it makes the game better entirely. You will, however, need all the DLC for a couple of the mod's aspects but I believe they have a page that will explain how to do it without any of the DLC.

A couple things break (having more than the vanilla amount of companions will completely break their quests/behavior but it's perfectly fine.

Also, having played all of the DLC on my first run I honestly don't recommend it. They kill the game's progress/momentum and are completely self-contained. They're cool, but I will likely never play them again if I replay the game. I would treat them as replay material.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sweeper posted:

I am on PC, its running at 90 fps according to monitor (on a 5900+3090 combo) it just looks stuttery

Oh sorry misunderstood your post. Assuming you haven’t already, there’s a few steps people usually take to get it running well on modern systems (like the 4GB patcher, or DXVK for even more fps).

E: it’s covered in Viva ^^

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I ran DXVK for my last playthrough and it was smooth as butter imo

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Every time I hear about New Vegas I also hear about a new mod/way to play it. I'll have to give Viva New Vegas a go.

Also I bought it for like 5 bucks on Steam so I'm free to play it!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I assumed that if it stutters, they were on PC.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, having played all of the DLC on my first run I honestly don't recommend it. They kill the game's progress/momentum and are completely self-contained. They're cool, but I will likely never play them again if I replay the game. I would treat them as replay material.

Counterpoint: decimate everyone in the Mojave (pronounced Mo Jave) with a proton axe or whatever the gently caress it's called.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I fuckin loved release New Vegas and did a full replay with all the DLC last year because I had never played anything but the base game. My general takeaway was that it's not as good as I remember it being because the gameplay is extremely rough. I kind of hated all of the DLCs, too; the Joshua Graham one was great when Joshua Graham was on screen but incredibly boring otherwise, Old World Blues is basically an endless barrage of mostly unfunny jokes and ~whacky~ sci-fi stuff mixed in with TERRIBLE enemy design and goes on way too long, the survival horror one was incredibly janky, renders your character build mostly irrelevant, and several triggers completely broke for me, and Lonesome Road is like five hours of Chris Avellone pontificating at you.

I didn't hate the vanilla game after replaying it, it just went from like a 9.5/10 to a 7.5/10 for me. The DLC was all pretty bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Counterpoint: decimate everyone in the Mojave (pronounced Mo Jave) with a proton axe or whatever the gently caress it's called.

Plus Old World Blues gives you poison immunity, so cazadors become a mild annoyance rather than the loving worst thing ever.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
yeah the DLCs are pretty poor in general but Old World Blues for me is an enjoyable piece of anti-nostalgia for lovely Adult Swim programming and my wasted 20s. the buffs and loot make it 100% totally worth it, thats the only funny part!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

Plus Old World Blues gives you poison immunity, so cazadors become a mild annoyance rather than the loving worst thing ever.

Explains why they werent worried about them escaping

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Kanos posted:

I kind of hated all of the DLCs, too; the Joshua Graham one was great when Joshua Graham was on screen but incredibly boring otherwise

I haven’t played the game/ DLCs since it first came out on PS3 (bought the original, then goty edition) and my memory is that the lone survivor’s story - who kindly left tapes everywhere was amazing. I’m not saying you’re wrong but I did love hunting around for the next chapter of that poor guys story 10+ years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't done Lonesome Road but I enjoyed the others, also haven't replayed any of them except OWB and that one was again, mostly for the mechanical perks.