Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mortons stork posted:

I can confirm, ink window on the safari owns. I can tell if I'm gonna run out today, sometimes if I flip it I can estimate how many days I got left.

The Sailor writes absolutely wonderfully but having to unscrew the body to see how much juice I got left is a pain.

Definitely want to get myself an Eco soon! :stoked:

The Ecos are my daily drivers, the capacity is amazing and they perform really well for me, and the price is low enough that if I gently caress up the feed with a sludgy ink, it's not the end of the world. Definitely a recommend from me.

effika posted:

That's a plus for me, OP.

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SixteenShells posted:

ooooo that looks pretty!

side tangent I go back and forth on demonstrator pens - I find a closed pen barrel just looks nicer somehow to my eye, the demonstrators remind me of see-through plastic kids electronics from the 90s/00s. But the utility you get from seeing how much ink you have left, and the opportunity to really showcase a beautiful ink before it even hits the page? you just can't get that otherwise.

Translucent pens are a nice compromise

Oh yeah, got a new pen.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If you simply buy all the pens, there is no need for compromise.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

angerbeet posted:

If you simply buy all the pens, there is no need for compromise.

:hmmyes:

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

howe_sam posted:

Translucent pens are a nice compromise

Oh yeah, got a new pen.

Thats a gorgeous Opera Master! I've always wanted to try one but when I was ready to test one out Anderson Pens left Chicago. Oh well. The Opera Gold pens that Visconti's introduced recently have been calling my name, though, so maybe I'll have to take a trip up to Appleton...

Translucent pens really are the best of both worlds. My Pilot 823 in Smoke looks like a black pen from afar but you can see the ink level if you get closer.

Bezoar
May 2, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

ooooo that looks pretty!

side tangent I go back and forth on demonstrator pens - I find a closed pen barrel just looks nicer somehow to my eye, the demonstrators remind me of see-through plastic kids electronics from the 90s/00s. But the utility you get from seeing how much ink you have left, and the opportunity to really showcase a beautiful ink before it even hits the page? you just can't get that otherwise. And the slowly building anticipation from seeing the reservoir slowly deplete over time, gauging how long you can push it before you should clean and refill - it's very engaging.

I’ve found these Opus 88 pens a nice take on demonstrators without looking chintzy

[https://wonderpens.ca/collections/pens-fountain-pens/products/opus-88-jazz-fountain-pen-clear]

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chip McFuck posted:

Thats a gorgeous Opera Master! I've always wanted to try one but when I was ready to test one out Anderson Pens left Chicago. Oh well. The Opera Gold pens that Visconti's introduced recently have been calling my name, though, so maybe I'll have to take a trip up to Appleton...

Thanks, it's a Goulet exclusive made out of Jonathan Brooks Combustion, and mine at least has this real subdued gold glitter throughout the material. Also writes well, the cap works, and the vacuum piston is free moving. All in all a miracle of a Visconti.

Speaking as someone who owns probably too many Opera Masters, they're chonky pens, but not outrageously so. My only real complaint, outside of general Visconti QA :argh:, is that they've got metal sections, which aren't my most favorite thing in the world because of how they attract fingerprints.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Muir posted:

I'm betting they go with the Pilot × Pokémon Charizard

Life has been insane and I forgot to check the pen thread. Now that I'm back, I'm losing my mind at the fact this exists as a thing.

Genuinely, thank you all for your wonderful suggestions and answering questions. The silver pen is a thing I'm working up to as a goal- it may seem really cringe, but I'm learning to use my left hand because I was forced into using my right as a child, despite being naturally ambidextrous. Taking that back is a part of taking my life back, so all of the discussion regarding make, handling and price ranges actually really matters to me. Thank you so much.

I fairly recently grabbed a lil Kakuno to try a better pen, and after I trusted myself with the delicate nibs, I bought a TWSBI Iris because it was just too pretty.

Then, the chonker arrived and I realized I only had art inks that would kill it and cartridges for my other pens... so I grabbed some Kaweco and Diamine to try out new inks. Now my fingers are purple, but I'm really pleased overall.

One of the inks is shimmer, should I wash it out in the same day as use, or is it ok to use like a normal ink, and just make sure to clean it really good in between? How often should I lubricate the piston, too?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

DicktheCat posted:

Life has been insane and I forgot to check the pen thread. Now that I'm back, I'm losing my mind at the fact this exists as a thing.

The Pikachu one is sold out, but there's also now a Rayquaza one.

DicktheCat posted:

One of the inks is shimmer, should I wash it out in the same day as use, or is it ok to use like a normal ink, and just make sure to clean it really good in between? How often should I lubricate the piston, too?

It's fine to use as a normal ink. You will probably still find the occasional bit of shimmer particle in your next fill of ink no matter how well you clean it. But it's fountain pen ink, it won't damage the pen just sitting in there, the way India ink would. As for lubrication, just whenever you take it all the way apart for cleaning, since you'll inevitably end up cleaning off the lubrication then too. For cleaning between fillings, just filling and emptying with water until it runs clear enough should suffice, I wouldn't disassemble it every time.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DicktheCat posted:

Now my fingers are purple

:toot: one of us!

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Those Pokémon pens… I expected a maybe fifty dollar cheapish pen like a kakuno but branded…
Dear god almighty.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

howe_sam posted:

Thanks, it's a Goulet exclusive made out of Jonathan Brooks Combustion, and mine at least has this real subdued gold glitter throughout the material. Also writes well, the cap works, and the vacuum piston is free moving. All in all a miracle of a Visconti.

Speaking as someone who owns probably too many Opera Masters, they're chonky pens, but not outrageously so. My only real complaint, outside of general Visconti QA :argh:, is that they've got metal sections, which aren't my most favorite thing in the world because of how they attract fingerprints.

Yet you keep buying them

I know I've got about a zillion Deltas, but of the ones I bought new only one was bad (because the rear end in a top hat seller dropped it and didn't tell me).

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

DicktheCat posted:

The shimmer particles are heavier than the water solution that they're suspended in so over time the particles will settle if not moved enough and collect/harden in the converter or feed, so try to use it at least once or twice a week to keep the ink flowing. Otherwise you can treat it just like any normal ink. As far as cleaning, a good rinse out with clean water until the water is clear will be good enough, but if you haven't used the pen in a while then you might have to disassemble for a more thorough cleaning to remove any potential clogs.

As far as greasing, just use your best judgement. If the piston doesn't feel as smooth as it used to when you're operating it or you take the piston out for cleaning then go ahead and use some grease, otherwise you're pretty much set for a long time.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

madmatt112 posted:

Those Pokémon pens… I expected a maybe fifty dollar cheapish pen like a kakuno but branded…
Dear god almighty.

There's a whole bunch of Pokemon Lamy Safaris if you want a cheaper Pokemon pen. Not sure about worldwide availability though.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

madmatt112 posted:

Dear god almighty.

I have the Kakuno Eevee and Pikachu set, you can order it on Amazon Japan shipped to the US. Came to about $50 for the two pens and shipping I think.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Just loaded up a converter-ful of diamine red dragon. Basically arterial blood red, although a bit understated compared to what I was expecting (I wanted, like, real bright red). Feels like a color for poetry, or for some real spicy letters too, maybe in another time where letters were still in use. Processing a bunch of emotional stuff in my journals, it somehow feels like the right choice.

It's very nice, and I'm happy with it as my choice for my first 'non-standard', not-for-official-use ink. I'm going to load it up on my stub pen next and do some italics on that. See if the more generous flow brings out more depth from the color.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

It really is a great red. When my sample bottle runs out and I feel like more red I'll probably be getting more of it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

mortons stork posted:

Just loaded up a converter-ful of diamine red dragon. Basically arterial blood red, although a bit understated compared to what I was expecting (I wanted, like, real bright red). Feels like a color for poetry, or for some real spicy letters too, maybe in another time where letters were still in use. Processing a bunch of emotional stuff in my journals, it somehow feels like the right choice.

It's very nice, and I'm happy with it as my choice for my first 'non-standard', not-for-official-use ink. I'm going to load it up on my stub pen next and do some italics on that. See if the more generous flow brings out more depth from the color.

Check out Diamine Poppy Red or Strawberry if you want a very bright red

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

iroshizuku momiji

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

That's a good one too, you can never go wrong with an Iroshizuku ink.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Oh yeah absolutely, those are gorgeous. But my absolute first ever ink is the iroshizuku tsuki-yo I now write every day with, and I wanted to branch out a bit.

The shopowner showed me a bunch of swatches when I was last there for inks and I was absolutely enamored with their purple/burgundy-ish yama budo and especially their bright orange yu-yake, but I know it would take me decades to get through a bottle. Evil of them to even show me, frankly. Putting the thoughts in my head.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

mortons stork posted:

Oh yeah absolutely, those are gorgeous. But my absolute first ever ink is the iroshizuku tsuki-yo I now write every day with, and I wanted to branch out a bit.

The shopowner showed me a bunch of swatches when I was last there for inks and I was absolutely enamored with their purple/burgundy-ish yama budo and especially their bright orange yu-yake, but I know it would take me decades to get through a bottle. Evil of them to even show me, frankly. Putting the thoughts in my head.

I'll make things worse for you and mention tsutsuji, which is a red-pink ink with a gold sheen. It writes very wet and sheen very lightly but it is very nice in use. Yama budo I bought a big bottle for after emptying the small one, very comfortable daily ink. Yu-yake is a light ink and writes surprisingly well for that color, many other yellowish inks I have tried tend to write dry.

And if you liked tsuki-yo, you'll also love syo-ro which is it's green sibling.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

A while back I had a Safari in special edition petrol colour. I also got a bunch of petrol cartridges with it, but then my bag (with the Safari) got stolen before the cartridges arrived.

I've finally, finally remembered I had them... and yeah, I did just blow some money on an Al-Star in the same petrol. It's dumb, but it feels so nice.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I saw that petrol colour Lamy at the pen store and I’m still considering getting it, a really pretty pen. I had just enough self control to not impulse buy it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Keetron posted:

I'll make things worse for you and mention tsutsuji, which is a red-pink ink with a gold sheen. It writes very wet and sheen very lightly but it is very nice in use. Yama budo I bought a big bottle for after emptying the small one, very comfortable daily ink. Yu-yake is a light ink and writes surprisingly well for that color, many other yellowish inks I have tried tend to write dry.

And if you liked tsuki-yo, you'll also love syo-ro which is it's green sibling.

Thanks for the suggestions, tsutsuji looks amazing; although, if I had to choose another blue Iroshizuku, I'd go for asa gao.

However for my next I'm gonna look at bright green or a teal (to go with my petrol lamy). Guitar's brilliant mint looks pretty nice.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Man, I know I can just ink both of my pens so I can have one for any boring "must use blue or black ink" paperwork I might encounter, but I don't write enough to keep two pens inked, so I think that when I get home, I'm gonna say to hell with it and clean the last blue out of one Safari, and ink my other with Murasaki-Shikibu. I mostly use my pen these days for writing notes and journaling in my notebook, I can use a ballpoint if I really need to fill something out that won't accept purple.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Me, a fool: Now that I know FWP's pens suck, I never have to worry about them making a cool-looking pen! No matter how cool it looks, I will be able to resist. 😌

Ferris Wheel Press:

:argh:

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Damnit, FWP

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

The tiny text seems to indicate that's a Nu-Esterbrook rather than a pen. Isn't Nu-Esterbrook okay? I've honestly not kept up on a lot of the smaller brands.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
I fixed my ~100 year old Waterman 52... again. The original ink sac inside had turned to dust when I bought this so I bought a new one and some cement for it and went through the steps to replace it. It worked great. Then, one day, I went to refill it and the ink sac had turned to a pile of melted snot inside of the barrel. No clue. The only thing I can think of is that I had a brain fart and accidentally put Noodler's "Baystate Blue" ink in it. Anyway, I tore it down, flushed it all out, cleaned everything, scraped the old cement off, fitted a new ink sac on, polished that lovely ol' 14k nib for a sec again, and tada it's working again. It has lasted one century and I'm going to try to get it to last another.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

taiyoko posted:

Man, I know I can just ink both of my pens so I can have one for any boring "must use blue or black ink" paperwork I might encounter, but I don't write enough to keep two pens inked, so I think that when I get home, I'm gonna say to hell with it and clean the last blue out of one Safari, and ink my other with Murasaki-Shikibu. I mostly use my pen these days for writing notes and journaling in my notebook, I can use a ballpoint if I really need to fill something out that won't accept purple.

You can also start a journal and write a bunch in it to use up more ink?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've never done any maintenance on my twsbi eco since I bought it but I decided to grease the piston today and it's not as difficult as I expected it to be. I figured out that I didn't want to take it apart because I didn't quite know how it worked, but doing just that maintenance has helped me understand a great deal of how it works.

Also, I had assumed that the proprietary wrench was indispensable when I received it, but now I 100% understand why you cannot fix the pen without it. I'd better put it somewhere I can find it next time :sweatdrop:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I guess you can hit up a friend with a 3d printer to print another wrench if it gets misplaced

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1915934

(or you can just buy another twsbi eco)

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

You can also email TWSBI directly and they will sell you one. I think the metal wrenches are about $5.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

*taps thread title*

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

but to be serious, that $5 could just go towards another twsbi eco which is a reasonable and sound investment

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

A while back I had a Safari in special edition petrol colour. I also got a bunch of petrol cartridges with it, but then my bag (with the Safari) got stolen before the cartridges arrived.

I've finally, finally remembered I had them... and yeah, I did just blow some money on an Al-Star in the same petrol. It's dumb, but it feels so nice.

angerbeet posted:

I saw that petrol colour Lamy at the pen store and I’m still considering getting it, a really pretty pen. I had just enough self control to not impulse buy it.

This made me go check it out which naturally meant I had to order one immediately despite being 0/2 in previous positive Lamy experiences. Here's hoping I hit the nib QC lottery this time! :shepspends:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

sb hermit posted:

I guess you can hit up a friend with a 3d printer to print another wrench if it gets misplaced

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1915934

(or you can just buy another twsbi eco)

You can ask here if any goon has one to spare because they bought more than two TWSBI pens.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Sankis posted:

The tiny text seems to indicate that's a Nu-Esterbrook rather than a pen. Isn't Nu-Esterbrook okay? I've honestly not kept up on a lot of the smaller brands.

afaik those pens are fine--as long as the barrels don't crack the instant you try to take the cap off, they're miles better than the FWP in-house pens.

They found the only way they could get me to consider buying a pen from them again: they didn't make the pen this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

sb hermit posted:

but to be serious, that $5 could just go towards another twsbi eco which is a reasonable and sound investment

You could just buy another TWSBI Eco and it will come with a wrench!

Edit: oh wait that's what you were saying. Yes well.