Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Must be Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

wow, real "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" vibes coming off this post.

HolHorsejob posted:

The pitfalls I'd be concerned about are screwing into a knot or split in the joist/stud, landing the fastener close to the edge of the stud, or the screw randomly pulling out. For the size fastener you need and the load it will create, I personally wouldn't be comfortable screwing that into a 2 inch wide stud.

But I'm a nervous nelly so ymmv. If it were me and this was my chosen solution, I'd make sure I was screwing into the center of a 4 x 4, and I'd drill a small pilot hole with a guide block to make sure it was square to the face. I'd also want some way of knowing that the wood is in sound condition.

I can appreciate this post and all of the others. I had considered mounting a stronger board with more screws along the existing ceiling and then mounting my screw eye to that... wasn't sure if it mattered, and :effort:

It's up and she's used it and there doesn't seem to be too much flex or strain that we can see. We're also aware of the risks, so if it falls we've minimized harm and will never take for granted that it's going to hold.

She loves it a ton :)

Thanks again for all of the replies!

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

the house I sell in "House Flipper" when I'm too drunk to keep playing

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I was doing the fun uncle super-swing with my niece and nephew on my lap and the porch swing ripped out when my legs were fully pulled up under it. I caught the weight of everything on the back of my calf; it was a giant purple knot for over a month but amazingly didn't break anything.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Man that lives in glass house can only poo poo in the dark. Man who lives in windowless house can poo poo where ever he wants.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Approved by the Vampire HOA

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Toasted posted:

Is this one of those fake substation houses?

even those at least have fake windows lol

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Harry_Potato posted:

Man that lives in glass house can only poo poo in the dark. Man who lives in windowless house can poo poo where ever he wants.

Lol this is someone who wants to throw stones whenever they want damnit!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My favorite thing is that there is a window on the door

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It's a funeral home. https://www.calvertmemorial.com/area-homes/calvert-belangee-bruce-farmer-city

I don't feel like that explains anything.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Cheaper to board over and cover windows than replace them, I guess?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bad Munki posted:

Malice and forethought.

The mark of a supervillain with style.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Toasted posted:

Is this one of those fake substation houses?

I really wanna see the follow up to the King of the Hill episode where they build a house facade over a substation and meet with the power service on neighbourhood decor.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
is this good

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

is this good

You've unlocked a bonus inch or so of space! Too bad the wall doesn't stretch to smoothly fill it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
the roof wants to fly far, far, away

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I've seen worse.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have worse, in my own house. Which has a perfectly fine foundation, but that foundation is sitting on fine clay that absorbs water in the winter and releases it all summer, resulting in just enough ground movement to crack between the sheetrock here and there. Not much to be done about it, patching even with the elasticy stuff doesn't really work that well. Just hang a picture in front of it.

Well, after you inspect your foundation, crawlspace if you have one, and attic space if you have one, to rule out foundation damage and/or water intrusion.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Or don't live in Texas

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

PainterofCrap posted:

Or don't live in Texas

As someone who was born in and still has a deep affection for Texas despite the dystopian hellscape it has become on numerous fronts, this is correct. Foundation repair companies are always booked in those areas.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lazyhound posted:

is this good

Very good trompe l'oeil (not going to bother looking up the correct spelling), looks just like the wall is about to crumble!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Leperflesh posted:

Well, after you inspect your foundation, crawlspace if you have one, and attic space if you have one, to rule out foundation damage and/or water intrusion.

It’s a high-rise building.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lazyhound posted:

:pressf:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lazyhound posted:

oh, it's your landlord's problem then

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Lazyhound posted:

is this good

I know what to get you for Christmas if you live that long.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

oh, it's your landlord's problem then

Why the assumption they're renting? It might be a strata problem. OP if you own, you should have via your strata a depreciation report done every five or ten years or something. You can look through that to see what they've said about the foundation. How old is the building?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Danggg

https://twitter.com/ZacharyOS/status/1664255752423211013?t=eK6yfsKpXKI9MWG8yGG7Ew&s=19

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Some guys I used to know who shared a house set up a spare room as a home theater (long ago when that was an unusual thing) went one better - they built tiered risers, like theater seats. It was surprisingly solid.

Now I *want* to know where it goes/why it's verboten.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Even Lego Engineers know that there's no such thing as a load bearing window

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Everything is technically load bearing, it's just that load is very very small

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

christ

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

When a renovation collapsed onto a Salvation Army thrift store next to it and people were killed, the ongoing grift of the Philadelphia Licenses & Inspections Division (L&I), particularly with fly-by-night 'general contractors' was exposed, and the L&I official who signed off on the building before work started committed suicide.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

PainterofCrap posted:

When a renovation collapsed onto a Salvation Army thrift store next to it and people were killed, the ongoing grift of the Philadelphia Licenses & Inspections Division (L&I), particularly with fly-by-night 'general contractors' was exposed, and the L&I official who signed off on the building before work started committed suicide.

Was that the guy who did himself in front of a bunch of reporters?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mycomancy posted:

Was that the guy who did himself in front of a bunch of reporters?

If you mean Budd Dwyer, no. He accepted a completely different bribe.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This was in 2013: https://www.phillymag.com/tag/salvation-army-building-collapse/

Budd Dwyer probably wasn't guilty of anything, but the smear campaign and innuendo destroyed his reputation for integrity, and the conviction finished him off.

I watched his press conference live; I had come home from work for lunch (office was 6-minutes from my apartment) & turned on the noon news. Believe it was early 1987.

Budd Dwyer was going to defend himself in a press conference that he called, although it was assumed he was going to resign.

It happened so fast, no one really had time to react, and Action News didn't have a 'dead air' button between the feed and the broadcast, so we all got to see him in living color as he left the planet. They eventually cut the feed & went back to the studio. If memory serves, they went almost straight to a commercial break.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 3, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dwyer was the anti‐Lowtax, shooting himself to guarantee financial support for his wife.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Dwyer was the anti‐Lowtax, shooting himself to guarantee financial support for his wife.

Jesus Christ

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

It happened so fast, no one really had time to react, and Action News didn't have a 'dead air' button between the feed and the broadcast, so we all got to see him in living color as he left the planet. They eventually cut the feed & went back to the studio. If memory serves, they went almost straight to a commercial break.

They also zoomed right in on his blood-gushing face before cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS