Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Turin Turambar posted:

As I highlighted enough the flaws of the game, I will say that they did a great job with the controls and movement, and it has one of the best weapon arsenals in a shooter that I have tried in... at least five years. Really solid.

Did you get much use out of the Vengeance grenade launcher? I keep trying to find a purpose for it but it feels like it's outclassed by the other weapons in most ways. For a while I was treating it as a way to dispatch large groups of fodder enemies, but then I realized it was easier to just wipe them out with the Boltgun or Heavy Bolter.

It's the only weapon that's felt like a bit of a dud, besides the grav cannon (which I haven't gotten yet).

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Did you get much use out of the Vengeance grenade launcher? I keep trying to find a purpose for it but it feels like it's outclassed by the other weapons in most ways. For a while I was treating it as a way to dispatch large groups of fodder enemies, but then I realized it was easier to just wipe them out with the Boltgun or Heavy Bolter.

I used it from time to time, yeah, against Chaos Marines/Terminators/heavy incinerators/ any other tanky slow enemy, and groups of nurlings.

While I think the weapons are great (although the shotgun damage could be 10% higher, boltgun could be 10% lower so there are more reasons to use advanced weapons), they don't get to shine as they should because the resource allocation.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
System Shock is out tomorrow :f5:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Convex posted:

:allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Woolie Wool posted:

No, there's a purple (I think?) light that plays around the Sorcerer when he's charging his LoS beam attack, if you run away when you see it, you're basically good as his other attacks are fairly easy to dodge.

Oh, that guy? I'll be honest, that guy left so little impression I completely forgot he was in the game.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's the only weapon that's felt like a bit of a dud, besides the grav cannon (which I haven't gotten yet).

I don't like it much, but weirdly it ended up being the most effective thing I had against the Great Unclean One. So many nurglings

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

I'll wait for reviews and performance tests but I'm super hyped to get it soon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I'll wait for reviews and performance tests but I'm super hyped to get it soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HkaK-fhceg

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That was quick haha

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Woolie Wool posted:

Pretty much nothing the servo skull says is useful anyway so you're not missing much.

On the other hand, many of its quips are pretty funny.

“These storage containers are arranged in a non-sanctified manner.”

“Observing prometheum from afar demonstrates the glory of the Omnissiah. Observing prometheum up close can cause grievous bodily harm.”

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Oh, that guy? I'll be honest, that guy left so little impression I completely forgot he was in the game.

He came back to punish me for my hubris :cry:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Welp I’m playing Boltgun on the Series X and the game consistently locks up in one particular hallway/staircase in what I think is the last level of the game. I’ve tried rebooting the gsme and rebooting my Xbox multiple times, but it consistently freezes at one particular point. I guess I don’t get to finish the game.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
the correct 40k game is battlefield 1, but siege of vraks

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
content- everything everyone has said so far is valid, boltgun is a perfectly fine B- licensed version of doom 16 with less polish and no glory kills, letting us know exactly what that game would have been like without that critical system

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

and without interesting level design

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Hoping the System Shock remake runs well enough on Steam Deck...

E: Nice, looks like it does https://steamdeckhq.com/game-reviews/system-shock/

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 29, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

and without interesting level design

That's already implied in the

Tim Thomas posted:

licensed version of doom 16

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Niiiiice

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The little glimmers of something more--the way the Aspiring Champions can occasionally resurrect into much worse Champions on death, the way Pink Horrors split into Blue Horrors (and the way thoroughly gibbing the bodies of champs and horrors can stop this), how Ambulls just instantly aggro on anything and everything around them, etc.--it's all interesting stuff, and I wish there was more of that in the enemy design, because the hill I'll die on is the one that says "Doom II is undying due to its diverse bestiary."

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Gotta admit I had already preordered this, but it's good to see something like this.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I was surprised at how easy the Great Unclean One is if you save your vortex grenade. Just throw it at his feet and then unload your Vengeance Launcher into him. He's dead in about 10 seconds and you don't even have to dodge his attacks because he'll go down long before you do.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

I was surprised at how easy the Great Unclean One is if you save your vortex grenade. Just throw it at his feet and then unload your Vengeance Launcher into him. He's dead in about 10 seconds and you don't even have to dodge his attacks because he'll go down long before you do.

I literally just discovered that. This a much harder fight without one, at least on Exterminatus difficulty. Those little nurgling fuckers lead you with their shots (not that it matters much when there are thirty of them firing on you simultaneously).

After attempting a "fair" fight 5 or 6 times, I chucked my vortex grenade at him and called it a day.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Shoot, I still need to finish System Shock Classic. I think I might have to backtrack to get the code number in Medical, because I lost where I wrote them down.

-

I finished Halo CE. I got through the rest of Library without too much trouble, but then Two Betrayals was a pain to work through. All throughout, I was wondering how you would tackle the levels on LASO, and the start of Two Betrayals feels like it would be a huge pain to get going on, because the only human weapon you get is the shotgun (one of the skulls disables you from using Covenant weapons, and this was the one level where I found I had to fall back on Covenant weaponry to progress), and you've got a ton of enemies attacking you at range.

There were a couple of spots where I got caught up, such as one of the pulse relay rooms, the last canyon area you pass through, and what seemed to be the most frustrating, the second bridge crossing with all the Flood. In some cases, it seems like you're supposed to let the faction fight it out and sneak past, but in others, if you try to get in and out fast, you'll get overwhelmed and die. What made the bridge infuriating was that backpedaling can run you right into a Flood that spawns in from the door behind you who shoots at you, but heading forward too fast, you'll get into the sights of a rocket Flood who will one-shot you. You've also got a Banshee flying overhead to contend with as well. It seems like the game expects you to take along a rocket launcher to deal with the Banshees and take some heat off yourself, so if you didn't, it'll be tougher time moving forward. It's one of the points where I wished the game didn't limit you to two weapons, because it seems like it banks on you thinking to take a certain weapon along at a certain time.

Keyes wasn't too difficult, save for getting out of the room after you've found Keyes, since it gets swarmed with enemies. For the final level, the Maw, the big headache was destroying the vents. Part of it was maybe my fault because I'd get to the top, and start destroying them, but then I'd die and get sent back to the chapter start because I didn't find the checkpoint area. Maybe you're supposed to activate them all, run downstairs, and toss grenades in, but I tried doing them one-by-one, while you get hounded by endless Flood and Sentinels. It felt like a bullet hell, trying to deal with everything coming at you while trying to toss the grenades into the vents while they were open. Then you do the final Warthog drive, and the game's over.

I guess it's on to Halo 2 now, unless I decide to run through some of the level again to get the skulls/terminals I missed. I'm interested to see if it makes any big changes.

-

the thread posted:

40K Boltgun

I was anticipating Boltgun, and by the sounds of it, it's good, though it has some issues. Not sure if I'll pick it up right now, but if I do, is there anything I should know about it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don't think there's any big rush to get it, the story is basically non-existent. I might put it aside for a while, in the hopes it gets a patch for better Steam Deck performance.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Max Wilco posted:

I finished Halo CE.

Yeah, I personally thought Halo kinda fell off quite a bit once the Flood are introduced and had a lot of the same thoughts. The pulse relay rooms loving sucked (those are the light pillars you had to jump into and destroy your shields to progress, right? The first time I played Halo, that's where I gave it up). But the first half is great, and it has a fantastic shotgun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
LASO Halo 1 wasn’t a thing until MCC, they didn’t start putting skulls in the games until Halo 2. So I’m not surprised some of the encounter conditions aren’t exactly fair

(I don’t remember if Halo Anniversary had skulls)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I will also say MCC is a fascinating example of extra added content making a game worse. The terminals they added to Halo 1 are a great big lore circlejerk that actively ruins and spoils the actual plot if you do the unthinkable and grab them on a first playthrough.

The majority of them, including the very first one on the Pillar of Autumn, go into excruciating detail about Guilty Spark and what his deal is, well before he even shows up in the game itself.

The only one that doesn't massively detract from things is the one showing Keyes' final moments and thoughts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I get what you’re saying and it’s true but complaining about self important lore dumps in a Bungie game is like being mad at the ocean for getting your shirt wet.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
One side game I played while beating MCC was keeping track of how much story info a hypothetical innocent player can obtain from the collection itself without trawling wikis or lore videos.

I think in the end, if the player could manage to watch every new H1 terminal, and read every Halo 3 terminal, they would have enough info to formulate a basically correct assumption about the context of Halo 4's story (even though there's a lot of extra complications that the terminals never delved into), and wouldn't feel as befuddled as the majority of actual Halo 4 players did.

Of course, this player may in turn be befuddled by Halo Reach's hidden side story, where Bungie went on a completely wild tangent about AIs secretly guiding humanity for centuries. I suspect that last-minute backstory with massive implications incompatible with prior Expanded Universe fiction was thrown in deliberately to mess with Microsoft, and 343 Industries reacted the only way they could - by pretending it doesn't exist.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bungie are the worst storytellers in games bar none. absolute dogshit

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RyokoTK posted:

I get what you’re saying and it’s true but complaining about self important lore dumps in a Bungie game is like being mad at the ocean for getting your shirt wet.

Oh, believe me, I know. (lol Destiny) It's just a rarity to see something like that bolted on to an existing game after the fact.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I like how the Wikipedia entry for Marathon Infinity didn’t even have a “plot synopsis” section for an extremely long time, and now the one it has is largely incomprehensible nonsense.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Eh...if you look at Marathon, yeah, it's very much "ok now put down your gun and read five pages of text: the game", but it's also very good at making the contents of each terminal make sense in the context you encounter them, story-wise, and giving the player lots of fragments and nuggets of information to piece together rather than just sitting you down and infodumping at you. M2 would be a different and significantly worse game if all the stuff about Thoth, the S'pht'Kr, and Durandal's master plan got laid out in the terminals in "Waterloo Waterpark" rather than gradually unfolding over the course of the back half of the game. And when someone does sit you down and infodump at you, like Tycho in "For Carnage, Apply Within", they (a) have an agenda and (b) are often wrong, lying, or intentionally misleading.

cuc posted:

Of course, this player may in turn be befuddled by Halo Reach's hidden side story, where Bungie went on a completely wild tangent about AIs secretly guiding humanity for centuries.

Aah, so that's what Durandal's been up to in Manus Celer Dei.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

People on these very forums will tell you, in no uncertain terms, that Destiny's triangle v. circle war is landmark science fiction. Depraved.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

catlord posted:

Yeah, I personally thought Halo kinda fell off quite a bit once the Flood are introduced and had a lot of the same thoughts. The pulse relay rooms loving sucked (those are the light pillars you had to jump into and destroy your shields to progress, right? The first time I played Halo, that's where I gave it up). But the first half is great, and it has a fantastic shotgun.

Yeah, the light pillars are the pulse relays.

I don't think there are any enemies for the first one (or if there are, not that many), but the second one has a bunch of Flood guarding the room, and destroying the relay summons Sentinels, so if you try and blaze through, you'll end up getting swamped. You have to slow down and methodically take out all the Flood first, then dispatch the Sentinels before you try to escape.

The thing is, the Flood aren't all that difficult to fight. Because the shotgun is so powerful, and because it can hold like ten or so shells at a time, you can have a conga line of Combat Forms, and they'll die in one or two hits. Better yet, if there's a Carrier Form nearby, a shotgun blast from mid-range will cause an explosion that will take them out. However, I think it's dependent on where you're fighting them. If you're out in the open, the Combat Forms will spam gunfire at you, but there's a corner you can lure them around, you can systematically take them out.

Covenant are harder to deal with, since they're almost all carrying ranged weaponry. With Grunts and Jackals, it's not so bad, and Hunters are easy once you know their weakness, but Elites soak up so much damage through their shields before you can take them down, especially the higher ranked ones. I think the lowest ranked Elite requires nearly a full clip of assault rifle ammo before they drop (at least on Normal).

I dunno if it's me or the game, but it just seems like you do better fighting enemies in closed spaces rather than in wide-open areas. In smaller areas, you're generally closer to enemies and can take them out faster, then take cover and regen your shields before engaging again. However, in open areas, you're open to fire from multiple angles, and it's harder to take out enemies at a range. Granted, it's dependent on your loadout, and the mistake I probably made was relying on the assault rifle/shotgun combo. However, it seems like the pistol and sniper rifle are a lot more scarce in the second half of the game, so you don't want to rely on them. I guess that's where the Covenant weapons come in handy.

Also, I was wrong about the Library; it did not have backtracking. However, what I was thinking of was that Two Betrayals is just a reversed versions of Assault on the Control Room. Add to that revisiting the Covenant ship in Keyes, and the Pillar of Autumn in The Maw (albeit you explore more areas of the ship in The Maw), it feels like they padded out the game by having you retread through areas. It also doesn't help that a lot of the maps have sections that feel like they were copied-pasted.

haveblue posted:

LASO Halo 1 wasn’t a thing until MCC, they didn’t start putting skulls in the games until Halo 2. So I’m not surprised some of the encounter conditions aren’t exactly fair

(I don’t remember if Halo Anniversary had skulls)

I did a quick search, and there's a review from 2011 mentioning the skulls, so it sounds like they were added to the Anniversary release.

John Murdoch posted:

I will also say MCC is a fascinating example of extra added content making a game worse. The terminals they added to Halo 1 are a great big lore circlejerk that actively ruins and spoils the actual plot if you do the unthinkable and grab them on a first playthrough.

The majority of them, including the very first one on the Pillar of Autumn, go into excruciating detail about Guilty Spark and what his deal is, well before he even shows up in the game itself.

The only one that doesn't massively detract from things is the one showing Keyes' final moments and thoughts.

I didn't think to start looking for terminals and skulls until I got to Assault on the Control Room, and I was referring to an online guide to find them.

I may have found a couple of the terminals early on, but I was playing with the classic graphics, and neither the skulls or terminals show up on the classic graphics mode; only with the remastered visuals (which is as simple as hitting the TAB key to switch).

I don't really mind them as spoilers, per se, since I feel like the story in Halo 1 is kind of anemic, and there isn't a lot to spoil. I don't know if it reveals anything from the future games apart from a few name drops. Mostly, it just seems to be Spark mulling over the state of Halo and getting depressed. However, they don't really mesh with the presentation of the original game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah, the light pillars are the pulse relays.

I don't think there are any enemies for the first one (or if there are, not that many), but the second one has a bunch of Flood guarding the room, and destroying the relay summons Sentinels, so if you try and blaze through, you'll end up getting swamped. You have to slow down and methodically take out all the Flood first, then dispatch the Sentinels before you try to escape.

The thing is, the Flood aren't all that difficult to fight. Because the shotgun is so powerful, and because it can hold like ten or so shells at a time, you can have a conga line of Combat Forms, and they'll die in one or two hits. Better yet, if there's a Carrier Form nearby, a shotgun blast from mid-range will cause an explosion that will take them out. However, I think it's dependent on where you're fighting them. If you're out in the open, the Combat Forms will spam gunfire at you, but there's a corner you can lure them around, you can systematically take them out.

I remember suddenly getting torn apart while blind from enemies that definitely weren't there just a moment before because I did clear the room first (after getting torn apart while blind for not doing that a few times). It was the blinding effect very specifically that pissed me off about that bit, beyond me being a bit tired of the Flood by that point.

Yeah, I don't find the Flood difficult, I just mostly found them kinda boring. Their tactics are certainly apropos for their name, but I thought fighting them was never as fun as fighting Covenant.

God, that shotty though. It doesn't look impressive, but it just feels great.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The assault rifle just isn’t very good in Halo 1 unfortunately. Sounds nice and cleans up trash ok, but it’s unreliable at distance and just weak, especially against shields. The other human weapons are all way better, i say chuck it for the first plasma gun you find and don’t look back.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"
I also just finished playing through Halo CE, i'd really forgotten how rough it is after finishing 343 Guilty Spark, the Flood are so terribly dull to fight that I wound using running past as many encounters as possible in the last few levels. Watching the Covenant and the Flood duke it out is a novelty but it doesn't make up for how boring and repetitive the last few missions are. The ending Warthog sequence was my only memory of anything post-Library for a good reasons, i guess. The first 50-60% of the campaign is still top-shelf though (except the Assault Rifle, it's always sucked)

Not to mention the anniversary graphics look terribly out of place, I felt like they were way too visually busy. In Halo 2 (which i just started) the remade assets seem to mesh much better with the old designs, but I could really do without the pre-rendered cutscenes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

I like how the Wikipedia entry for Marathon Infinity didn’t even have a “plot synopsis” section for an extremely long time, and now the one it has is largely incomprehensible nonsense.

Is the incomprehensible nonsense not what people like Marathon for, though? That was always the impression I got.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Come now, have you played a Bethesda game?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ok, after Boltgun, I'm officially on team 'do not loving put in multiple grenade types without dedicated buttons, and absolutely do not put them in the same slot with completely different functions and auto switching'

super lovely feeling

I didn't like the multi grenades in Doom Eternal either come to think of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

victrix posted:

ok, after Boltgun, I'm officially on team 'do not loving put in multiple grenade types without dedicated buttons, and absolutely do not put them in the same slot with completely different functions and auto switching'

super lovely feeling

I didn't like the multi grenades in Doom Eternal either come to think of it

AKA "hope you liked wasting your one precious vortex grenade on this group of nurglings thinking you had a Krak grenade, dipshit"