Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

1stGear posted:

Alan Wake was heavily influenced by King, Twin Peaks, and Twilight Zone and trying to figure out the exact ratios is a bit of fool's errand.

30% Stephen King, 20% Twin Peaks, 50% Twilight Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
and 80% nutsack

(20% taint)

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

And 100 % reason to remember the name (Alan)

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
It needed more Garth Marenghi in my opinion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Pseudohog posted:

It needed more Garth Marenghi in my opinion.

Garth Marenghi is one of those things that works in prose and as a character but the show itself is just too blatantly and deliberately badly made to be entertaining. I KNOW the joke is that it's bad, but we've all seen bad TV shows and understand that something made in the 70s or 80s wouldn't make it to air anywhere in the world if it had wobbly dolly shots and hands visibly flinging a cat into shot.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man, imaging being so wrong about something and just choosing to share it with the world unprompted

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I WANTED to like it

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Fil5000 posted:

Garth Marenghi is one of those things that works in prose and as a character but the show itself is just too blatantly and deliberately badly made to be entertaining. I KNOW the joke is that it's bad, but we've all seen bad TV shows and understand that something made in the 70s or 80s wouldn't make it to air anywhere in the world if it had wobbly dolly shots and hands visibly flinging a cat into shot.

It didn't make it to air, they shot six episodes that never aired in the world of the show.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I'll have to rewatch it, but the last couple of episodes of Darkplace didn't really land for me. I didn't care for the Scottish outbreak episode, and I can't even remember what the other was about.

Overall I loved it though, and I regularly think of random Garth Marenghi quotes that still make me laugh.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I'll have to rewatch it, but the last couple of episodes of Darkplace didn't really land for me. I didn't care for the Scottish outbreak episode, and I can't even remember what the other was about.

Overall I loved it though, and I regularly think of random Garth Marenghi quotes that still make me laugh.

the scottish outbreak episode is one that i assume i simply didn't have the cultural context for, much like monty python's science fiction sketch

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

last episode has One Track Lover in it, one of the most important scenes

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Vermain posted:

the scottish outbreak episode is one that i assume i simply didn't have the cultural context for, much like monty python's science fiction sketch

No one had the cultural context for that, it's just a joke that goes on too long

Edit: I mean the Python sketch, christ it goes on so long

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

studio mujahideen posted:

last episode has One Track Lover in it, one of the most important scenes

Matt Berry is a loving talented singer/songwriter. I checked out some of his stuff and I was blown away by how good it was, like usually when a comedian/actor/celebrity does music as a side gig it's not great.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

No one had the cultural context for that, it's just a joke that goes on too long

Edit: I mean the Python sketch, christ it goes on so long

one of those rare python sketches where they don't so much lose the plot as they haplessly watch it stage open rebellion

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Wasn't a huge fan of Outlast 1, and I didn't play Outlast 2 (looked bad), so I didn't have much in the way of expectations for Outlast Trials.

Shockingly, it's ended up being REALLY fun--been working through the recent early access release with a friend and having a blast! The core gameplay loop is very solid, the game runs well, and it's significantly less edgy and over the top than the single player games were, so it hasn't been as hard to get friends into as expected. Highly recommend checking it out, especially if you have a friend or two to play with (although solo is fine).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh poo poo, System Shock is coming out tomorrow? I'm an enormous fan of SS2, but never played the first, I am so down for this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Oh poo poo, System Shock is coming out tomorrow? I'm an enormous fan of SS2, but never played the first, I am so down for this.

Oh wow, I didn't even remember a remake was coming out. I've never played the original either, I'll at least wishlist this for a sale (on account of having paid full price for too many big new releases these last six months or so).

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Were the spiders in system shock 1 or 2?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Were the spiders in system shock 1 or 2?

They were in 2 and Jesus Christ did I hate them.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My review on the SS remake's going up at some point in the next day or so.

It's pretty good, and very tense, although Nightdive self-consciously kept in a lot of '90s PC-gaming stuff like non-standardized controls, or how the critical path still involves a lot of backtracking and unlabeled points. I was half-expecting the final version of the game to have Rebecca Lansing constantly in your ear like Atlas in BioShock, just in case you were at all confused about what to do, but instead she's barely in it.

I don't think "remake's" even the right word for this, though. The comparison I wanted to make was to particularly thorough Shakespeare modernizations, like Baz Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet or 10 Things I Hate About You. It's the same story with a few adjustments.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wanderer posted:

It's pretty good, and very tense, although Nightdive self-consciously kept in a lot of '90s PC-gaming stuff like non-standardized controls, or how the critical path still involves a lot of backtracking and unlabeled points. I was half-expecting the final version of the game to have Rebecca Lansing constantly in your ear like Atlas in BioShock, just in case you were at all confused about what to do, but instead she's barely in it.

I don't think "remake's" even the right word for this, though. The comparison I wanted to make was to particularly thorough Shakespeare modernizations, like Baz Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet or 10 Things I Hate About You. It's the same story with a few adjustments.

And a more divergent adaption would be like Clueless? Good to see they kept the soul as intact as they did, seemingly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wanderer posted:

non-standardized controls

This kind of scares me, along with noticing the mention of "partial controller support" on steam without any note of what that means. I have trouble using keyboard controls in action-type games any more, how exactly all that plays out will have a big impact on whether I do end up giving SS a try.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

This kind of scares me, along with noticing the mention of "partial controller support" on steam without any note of what that means. I have trouble using keyboard controls in action-type games any more, how exactly all that plays out will have a big impact on whether I do end up giving SS a try.

Primarily, what I mean is that it does its own thing. You pick stuff up, push buttons, and throw switches by right-clicking on them; there's no iron sights at all; your hotkeys are sharply restricted (4 for weapons, 3 for grenades, 3 for drugs, that's yer lot); and you end up playing a lot of inventory Tetris by the halfway point because you're carrying around six guns, each of which has multiple ammo types.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OK, good to know. Sounds like more reason to hold off for now and wait for more trip reports/see if updates come out.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Night10194 posted:

They were in 2 and Jesus Christ did I hate them.

Ah see I never played them at the time, needed to know if I should avoid this one. Thank you!

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Sorry, double post, but we have a Silent Hill Ascension trailer!

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1663531057898205184?t=_r72M4_OX3OHaIbMGY5hIA&s=19

It looks cool, for an interactive CG movie thing.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 30, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

That seems like a whole lot of effort for something that could be a Supermassive-style CYOA game. They're streaming it and you have to actively participate in it while it's running, and then after it's done it presumably just is over?

I am not familiar with the dev so I assume the other games that are referenced in that thread went down well but what a strange format.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Sorry, double post, but we have a Silent Hill Ascension trailer!

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1663531057898205184?t=_r72M4_OX3OHaIbMGY5hIA&s=19

It looks cool, for an interactive CG movie thing.

Did this person write a blog post over a series of 25 tweets?

This is the dumbest timeline

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Yeah Dusk can get long winded when he has something to say. He's a "former" leaker, so you know he likes to talk lol

E: Another thread, but it gives a good explanation on what exactly Ascension is. One thing I like already is after the "canon" run they'll show alternate paths in a New Game +. So you don't feel crappy when your path didn't win the first time at least.

https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1/status/1663562628290215939?t=edSgQfkjlmz49nHpmv5Q6w&s=19

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 30, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
It's going to suck

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wanderer posted:

https://www.gameskinny.com/reviews/system-shock-2023-review-welcome-back-to-citadel-insect/

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Looks like Amnesia The Bunker is going to be on Gamepass still, it was announced as such but when the multiple weirdly short delays happened they stopped saying that and hadn't mentioned if it would still be. Good to get confirmation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

CuddleCryptid posted:

That seems like a whole lot of effort for something that could be a Supermassive-style CYOA game. They're streaming it and you have to actively participate in it while it's running, and then after it's done it presumably just is over?

I am not familiar with the dev so I assume the other games that are referenced in that thread went down well but what a strange format.
I already treat choice-driven RPGs as being no more or less than my first experience of it, so communalizing that is a pretty novel idea. One that could hilariously backfire, but I’ll take it over an open world or whatever the gently caress games are supposed to look like these days.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Len posted:

Did this person write a blog post over a series of 25 tweets?

This is the dumbest timeline

first thing I saw was (1/25) and just thought "lmao nah I'm good"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah that's how people write things now. Why make a blog post when you have a twitter that infinitely more people are going to see?

Try being less old.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Try being less old.

lmao nah I'm good

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Getting old just gives you more time to confirm you're correct about your opinions

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hows whos lila

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Who's Lila is loving crazy and rules

Adbot