Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

jacked off in a tissue?

whatever happened there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i cant imagine prison radiators are very hot so that sandwich was probably out for hours in proximity to a toilet too

We've come a long way, baby.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

prison sounds fail

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Guys these days don't have room in their lives for the penal experience.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

she sat on one rear end cheek the whole way over!

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
My cousin Josephine did that. Her rear end in a top hat rotted out.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
One thing I’ve never been sure about is in The Test Dream, who is in the G-wagen before Artie pulls him into the alley? I always thought it was Little Carmine but I’d like to know what others think.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I figured it was a fear of the unknown and/or representative of the “unidentified black males” that kept coming up in the series.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I figured it was a fear of the unknown and/or representative of the “unidentified black males” that kept coming up in the series.

My exception with that would be it’s known the entire time, by Tony especially, that every iteration of the unidentified black male is just cover for stuff the mob guys are doing to each other (the night Tony B went away, Jackie Jr.’s assassin, the beat down on Little Paulie). Unless it’s Massive Genius in the car but I don’t think it is- I don’t have the blu ray but I’m pretty sure it’s a white guy sitting in there, and if I squint I see Little Carmine in profile. I could be imagining things, though :shrug:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But there were real instances of unidentified black males on the show. The two guys hired to kill Tony in season one, the two guys hired for the aborted Carmine Sr. hit, the two guys hired to steal the Mercedes for the car smuggling operation, etc.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Again though, they’re all identified! They wouldn’t be acting unless at the behest of the mobsters. The guys who steal the Mercedes, even though they’re the only ones we personally don’t know, we get the impression Tony does and is directly involved from the next scene.

The music emanating from the vehicle and the choice of car itself would maybe symbolize Tony’s fear of the unknown as represented by that archetype but I don’t think the guy actually sitting in their is black tbqh :shrug: It’s gotta be credited somewhere.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Okay I just watched TMSoN on a plane and I can say I was sincerely unimpressed. If anything I’m surprised at how mediocre almost every single aspect of it was. And the pinky swear at the end??? Come the gently caress on!!!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The pinky swear is like, all time incredible hack poo poo. I kind of love it for being so bad.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I literally couldn’t believe it. And the rest by contrast is not so aggressively bad per se, there just... really isn’t much there. Most of the fan service there was was pretty sloppy, it could have been done more tastefully and cleverly. I don’t think Corey Stoll was the weak point but I didn’t buy either the tension between Junior and Dickie nor the weight of the relationship between Tony and Dickie. Just... not good!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Honestly if that was the kind of thing they were gonna do I wish it had just been full on ridiculous. Have young Tony getting his learner's permit and driving through Jersey with the show theme playing and poo poo.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Also from the series I got the impression Tony and Sil were age contemporaries, but Sil is obviously much older in TMSoN

Surprised they didn’t show Tony and co. holding up Feech La Manna’s card game. That would have been a better representation of Tony’s turn to embracing the gangster life than the pinky swear imo

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Futanari Damacy posted:

Also from the series I got the impression Tony and Sil were age contemporaries, but Sil is obviously much older in TMSoN

Surprised they didn’t show Tony and co. holding up Feech La Manna’s card game. That would have been a better representation of Tony’s turn to embracing the gangster life than the pinky swear imo

According to the official show lore (tm), Silvio is two years older than Tony.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
The age gaps between Dickie/Tony/Chris don’t seem to line up with the show at all. So stupid.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The ghost of Christopher narrating was certainly a choice.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Aside from the pilot the show never had a narration. And I’m not sure the narration added anything other than a “Hey, that’s Christopher” moment. In fact, there were several scenes where the score (something else the show never had) just drowns out Imperioli.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Aside from the pilot the show never had a narration. And I’m not sure the narration added anything other than a “Hey, that’s Christopher” moment. In fact, there were several scenes where the score (something else the show never had) just drowns out Imperioli.

Being bush league at seemingly simple things like sound mixing is baffling.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

The idea is "Saw" meets "The Godfather II"

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

royle tenanbaum

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

Being bush league at seemingly simple things like sound mixing is baffling.

It definitely changes the complexion of the shows lack of diegetic music- makes you think they simply weren’t able to do it!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

TheKingslayer posted:

I mean, I watched the movie a couple of days after it came out and avoided reviews/spoilers, but I knew it was gonna be bad from that first shot / narration.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The only way it could have been better is if they had the cat Paulie thought was Christopher narrate scenes with a little CGI mouth.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And then at the end have the fish from “Funhouse” sing the theme song in the same manner.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Yeah, it was so weird.

I gave TMSoN two tries and failed to finish it both times. It's almost hard to believe that it was made by the same creative team it was so loving bad. Mayyybbeee...a 6 or 12 part miniseries might have worked since a lot of the plot seemed to need more exploration, depth, time to sink in, clear motivation and, more than anything, just some overall weight that connected everything in ways that made us care about any of this poo poo.

But that's still not going to fix some of the bad acting, cartoonish characterization and some shockingly pedestrian cinematography and sets. I had my hopes up for it after what Vince Gilligan managed to do with El Camino and Better Call Saul, which made me believe that mining a well done cinematic universe was very possible, but this movie was shockingly bad.

I wasn't looking for fan service so much as something as rich, funny, well written/shot as the show I loved so much but I've pretty much memory holed it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

El Camino is not very good, cinematically or otherwise.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

BiggerBoat posted:

cartoonish characterization

I'M ALWAYSH BEIN' ACCUSHED

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gaius Marius posted:

El Camino is not very good, cinematically or otherwise.

I think it's the best possible version of a story that didn't really need to exist in the first place. It would have been a cute treat if it was the only BB thing in production, but we were what, four seasons deep into BCS at that point?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it was maybe two

El Camino was fine but it's not really necessary

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the big issues I had with El Camino is that it put production of Better Call Saul on pause, then COVID hit which delayed new BCS even further, then Bob Odenkirk almost died which (understandably!) delayed it even further. Then they split the final season in two so Rhea Seehorn could get her goddamn Emmy at last only for Sarah Snook and Sarah Goldberg to enter into a dark pact to try and prevent her by quite unfairly also being astonishingly good actors :mad:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

El Camino more than anything convinced me that Aaron Paul lucked out with BrBa giving him the easier material; by that I mean the bigger stuff or playing a dumbass. He just doesn't have the chops to pull the subtle emotions the way Cranston or Odenkirk did.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well, I liked El Camino a lot and if many folks didn't, I feel comfortable opining that it's leagues better than TMSoN.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

BiggerBoat posted:

Well, I liked El Camino a lot and if many folks didn't, I feel comfortable opining that it's leagues better than TMSoN.

I also enjoyed it, it wasn't really necessary but it was a nice coda to the story, competently made with some good moments.

I didn't even watch TMSoN because I didn't want to leave the Sopranos story with a bad taste in my mouth.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I envy you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I thought El Camino was good. I thought Jesse's story after BB was worth telling, and brevity served it well vs. a drawn out mini-series (my primary complaint about Better Call Saul is it took so long for him to actually become Saul)

I don't know that TMSoN would work better as a serial because if it's just going to be more of what it was, well...