Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kesper North posted:

Anyone got tips for getting Nightfall weapons to actually drop? I have been having Difficulties with my Lifestyle

Not that I particularly care about the Buzzard, but I definitely want a Loaded Question

Doing them on Grandmaster, to be honest. Master is sort of a dead mode since it's ~the same difficulty/fireteam requirements as a GM for a lower chance and a non-adept gun.

Double Nightfall Week will give you higher odds of getting the gun on Legend difficulty but there's no controlling what gun is on the rotation when that week is up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Doing them on Grandmaster, to be honest. Master is sort of a dead mode since it's ~the same difficulty/fireteam requirements as a GM for a lower chance and a non-adept gun.

Double Nightfall Week will give you higher odds of getting the gun on Legend difficulty but there's no controlling what gun is on the rotation when that week is up!

Good to know!

My big issue is the absolute desert of Nightfall groups in the Destiny 2 LFG app right now, but I gather that's because everyone is cheesing the new dungeon. Which I should probably also try to do.

Overall I gotta say I'm super impressed with this and even last season, between the QoL improvements to buildcraft and the new weapons and content, I feel better prepared to take on high end content than ever and am even finding some amount of success!

Edit: I've heard that your drop chances improve if you do multiple Nightfalls in a row. Is that true? I usually want to do just 1-2 nightfalls then do something else, especially when it's a pain in the rear end like Sedia or this week's.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

got the anvil hat from the lost sector, all is right in the world and I want to say that I've never been mad ever

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I really wish my home internet wasn't dying to the point that I can't expect to be able to complete any activity before being kicked offline.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Good to know!

My big issue is the absolute desert of Nightfall groups in the Destiny 2 LFG app right now, but I gather that's because everyone is cheesing the new dungeon. Which I should probably also try to do.

Overall I gotta say I'm super impressed with this and even last season, between the QoL improvements to buildcraft and the new weapons and content, I feel better prepared to take on high end content than ever and am even finding some amount of success!

Edit: I've heard that your drop chances improve if you do multiple Nightfalls in a row. Is that true? I usually want to do just 1-2 nightfalls then do something else, especially when it's a pain in the rear end like Sedia or this week's.

I don't know about running a few in a row. IIRC you get 1 roll of the weapon for the clear. You can run a ghost mod to get a chance of a bonus drop that maybe is the gun maybe not. You should give Overchill a shot if you haven't yet. People will usually be pretty down for whatever and can often explicitly ask for help or a sherpa and someone will show up and dumpster whatever you're currently stuck on. It's also a great opportunity to get feedback on your build or ask some questions if you ask.

Also, for anyone who doesn't have it, Xur has Arbalest, one of the bestest guns in all of destiny

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

There are absolute animals on the Discord who will perform some of the most amazing feats in this game for you if you simply log on and ask politely. It may as well be legal cheating.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=molvpb7lnvE

interesting!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

what if i don't want to watch a video with a clickbait title and thumbnail and instead simply want to be told what the gently caress you're talking about instead of a meaningless "interesting!" devoid of context

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

what if i don't want to watch a video with a clickbait title and thumbnail and instead simply want to be told what the gently caress you're talking about instead of a meaningless "interesting!" devoid of context

Doing the new dungeon exotic's catalyst secret increases the chance for the exotic to drop for everyone present on that run.

Video goes over how to do the catalyst secret as well.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does it also get me the catalyst early or will I have to do it again for the cat?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You need someone with the exotic to do / get the catalyst which in turn gives Eveyrone else the boosted drop rate. You can’t do the boss then backtrack to finish the catalyst and you can’t have 3 people without the exotic earn the catalyst.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I can confirm, Malfeasance with the catalyst totally rocks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oxyclean posted:

Doing the new dungeon exotic's catalyst secret increases the chance for the exotic to drop for everyone present on that run.

Video goes over how to do the catalyst secret as well.

neat. thank you

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Am I missing something or are snipers still just not that great in PvE? I thought one would make a good compliment to Osteo Striga or Malfeasance and ease of use has defenitly improved but the damage doesn't seem to be there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s some bosses with nice easy crit spots where snipers can do the work but for the most part you could be using something fun instead.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s some bosses with nice easy crit spots where snipers can do the work but for the most part you could be using Calus Mini Tool instead

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Arc Warlock in pvp is good fun

Chaos Reach with Lightning Surge and Arc Soul aspects, fragments are Haste, Focus, Instinct and Recharge. Getaway Artists for the Exotic armor and Flashbang grenade bc it has the shortest cooldown to eat your grenade for Amplify and to get your big arc buddy back.

I've been using it with Centrifuse and a shotgun. With the Centrifuse catalyst the gun builds charge whenever you are amplified, and with the seasonal artifact perk Electric Armor amplify lasts for 20 seconds, and another artifact perk Amped Up gives you 10% damage reduction while amplified. I don't have it unlocked yet but there is also a column 5 perk to use for this build: Shock and Awe: Arc final blows while you are amplified summon a burst of lightning that damages and jolts targets.

Centrifuse rocks and 450 auto rifles are definitely Real in pvp right now

https://i.imgur.com/vpYhnGC.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/MnShWdk.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/sCrfFWB.mp4

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sunday at work posted:

Am I missing something or are snipers still just not that great in PvE? I thought one would make a good compliment to Osteo Striga or Malfeasance and ease of use has defenitly improved but the damage doesn't seem to be there.

They're good overall if you're good at aiming but that's really it

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

sunday at work posted:

I find a reconstruction succession in a fair number of loadouts/defaults but it’s more for utility tbh. Anti-sniper or taking care of orange bars at range. Occasionally will dump a magazine into a boss head while something else auto loads but I don’t think I’d bring it specifically for good damage output.
If I don’t know where to start with a loadout, disorienting auto loading pardon our dust, Witherhoard, heritage, riptide, and succession are good kinetic specials to start with to sort of cover my ranges but I’m also not super up to date so there are likely better choices. I feel like Izanagi has been good too but is only really worth it where honed edgex4 makes a difference. Which is not usually needed for the aforementioned applications. Otherwise succession does more damage per shot and always has 8 in the mag when I swap to it so v0v. Maybe it’s a personal feel thing but it seems like succession does amazing damage, has effectively auto loading holster as long as I don’t lean on it too hard, and for whatever reason I feel like I’m always drowning in green bricks without running a finder (the last one likely isn’t succession’s fault, again I haven’t really played enough with other legendary snipers to maybe see the same thing).

I guess this is a love letter to one particular sniper, rather than any indication that snipers are any good.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

sunday at work posted:

Yeah, the damage just isn't there. Bungie has said repeatedly that they don't want to buff snipers too much because they are generally a "safe" damage source. You stand waaaay back and just plink at the enemy. I can understand not wanting make it both the safest and highest damage option.

That being said, Snipers are still incredibly strong in pve content. Aggressive snipers (like Succession) generally one shot DPS check mechanics, like Golgoroth's back or Nezerac's shoulders. They also do extremely decent damage to most other bosses for special ammo and you have a div bubble.

They aren't primary DPS, but they are very useful and halfway decent secondary DPS when you are out of heavy ammo.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It's gonna be weird to hit the upgrade module cap for the first time in my life

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Succession is a highly desirable utility pick up Recon/Vorpal is the desired roll for utility as you may or may not always have a fireteam near you. Recon acts as an auto-reloading holster and gives you more chances at whatever you're trying to hit.

I also feel like in the current sandbox you kinda want your primary ammo weapon to be in the second slot so you can take advantage of cool things like voltshot and such.

I've been kicking around creating a short, condensed new player introduction as a RL friend of mine has started playing and I can tell how confusing the new player experience is. My buddy tried to solo the new dungeon because well...its a pinnacle...and the game suggest it to him and I was like noooooo

I do agree with Uwaeve's points they're all very good. I also concur that

Arbalest
Riptide (ALH/LFG + Chill Clip)
Succession
Heritage
Witherhorde

are all excellent chase weapons if you don't have them that still have places all throughout the difficulty scale, from Vanguard Ops through Master Raids. I think I dropped my Day One with literally ever single one of those + izzy on my body in case the API went down.

A note on Izzy,

In literally just my opinion, Izzy you will never need unless you find yourself pushing Master Raids or Day One's doing ALH Rocket + Izzy swapping, which you should practice and get used to the timing. Practice alot, because if you haven't done it, it can be a little awkward to hit all your shots and all your rockets while looping through the key presses. Also you need the catalyst to make it worthwhile. Just use arbalest mostly for the same use cases tbh. Izzy swapping would be the different between a 1vs 2 or 2 vs 3 phases outside of Day Ones but requires consistency from all players in the fireteam, especially bc Starfire is ded in the DPS space.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

heated game moment posted:

Centrifuse rocks and 450 auto rifles are definitely Real in pvp right now

Tons of people using it in Trials/competitive mode this weekend but I don't remember dying to it once. Could have just been the skill level of opponents I get matched against though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RocketRaygun posted:

Yeah, the damage just isn't there. Bungie has said repeatedly that they don't want to buff snipers too much because they are generally a "safe" damage source. You stand waaaay back and just plink at the enemy. I can understand not wanting make it both the safest and highest damage option.

Then give it even less damage and white ammo so I don't have to switch off of it, for gently caress's sake.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I see Bungie was afraid we forgot Saint-14 is the best character.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Poop :(

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oh man I can’t play this week’s poo poo until tomorrow night, I wanna see what’s got Battuta poopin

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Oh man I can’t play this week’s poo poo until tomorrow night, I wanna see what’s got Battuta poopin

sounds like it's poop, OP

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What if they literally reveal that the psychic coral or whatever the gently caress we're collecting is just leviathan poop?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What if they literally reveal that the psychic coral or whatever the gently caress we're collecting is just leviathan poop?

"Pooper Scooper" will be the first title I ever get

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Ya ever thought about how rich in taste worm poo poo is? I have, and brotha lemme tell you it's divine. Plus, nobody fights ya for it. Transmat firing!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

guys I found where all the Salvage mobs where, they were in the Uorgotha fight!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Played some PvP yesterday for the first time. NTTE > Graviton but GL feels a LOT better than it used to.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Listerine posted:

Tons of people using it in Trials/competitive mode this weekend but I don't remember dying to it once. Could have just been the skill level of opponents I get matched against though.

I started this weekend using YAS hunter with Ammit, got 5 flawlesses with that build, then swapped to Arc warlock Saturday and Sunday. My KD got trashed but that was more a function of matchmaking I think. To be fair YAS is extremely strong on this map especially with zones

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
BATEMAN: You like Seth Dickinson's writing?

TASSI: Um, they're okay.

BATEMAN: Their early work was a little too cerebral for my taste. But when the Books of Sorrow came out in 2014, I think they really came into their own, both among gamers and loving weirdos. The whole lorebook has a fragmented, playful narrative voice, and a new sheen of humor that really helps the kids make memes. They've been compared to Michael Kirkbride, but I think Seth has a far more alcoholic, depressive philosophy.

I think their undisputed masterpiece is Unveiling. A lorebook so wack, most people probably don't pay attention to the themes. But they should, because it's not just about the creation of the universe and the nature of evolution. It's also a personal statement about the process of writing for video games. Hey, Paul!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

glaives are actually fun as gently caress in pvp, drat

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

heated game moment posted:

Arc Warlock in pvp is good fun

Chaos Reach with Lightning Surge and Arc Soul aspects, fragments are Haste, Focus, Instinct and Recharge. Getaway Artists for the Exotic armor and Flashbang grenade bc it has the shortest cooldown to eat your grenade for Amplify and to get your big arc buddy back.

I gave this build a shot and got a Field General in my first Iron banner match, it's pretty good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

BATEMAN: Their early work was a little too cerebral for my taste. But when the Books of Sorrow came out in 2014, I think they really came into their own, both among gamers and loving weirdos. The whole lorebook has a fragmented, playful narrative voice, and a new sheen of humor that really helps the kids make memes. They've been compared to Michael Kirkbride, but I think Seth has a far more alcoholic, depressive philosophy.

I think their undisputed masterpiece is Unveiling. A lorebook so wack, most people probably don't pay attention to the themes. But they should, because it's not just about the creation of the universe and the nature of evolution. It's also a personal statement about the process of writing for video games. Hey, Paul!

Are you wearing a raid jacket?

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Try waiting in a queue for servers to stabilize now you loving stupid bastard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

I actually did go "oh god this totally a metaphor for games development and games writing, isn't it. i am an absolute fool" on Unveiling when I reread it about a year back.