Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I liked the original series ending :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The timeline is hilarious, because there is a shorter gap between the original series and the start of the "Rebuild" movie series then there is between Rebuild 1 and Rebuild 4.0

The creator had to literally take time off of making it to destress and do enjoyable things, like directing one of the best Godzilla movies ever made and then be the mocap guy for a different kaiju fighting movie.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
shin godzilla owns

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

Episodes 25 and 26 are win but so is EoE.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pentyne posted:

The timeline is hilarious, because there is a shorter gap between the original series and the start of the "Rebuild" movie series then there is between Rebuild 1 and Rebuild 4.0

The creator had to literally take time off of making it to destress and do enjoyable things, like directing one of the best Godzilla movies ever made and then be the mocap guy for a different kaiju fighting movie.

The original series was made while on a wild bender of crippling depression so that's probably a good thing, at least for the creators.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Story goes that Hideki Anno was given the go-ahead on Eva because it was going to be a planned failure and used for some tax scheme, so no one from the studio bothered to check what he was doing. Anno, with complete creative freedom then went so deep into his own mind and mental issues that he made what is now referred to as one of the greatest anime series ever and spawned a billion dollar franchise that no one saw coming.

He was also kind of insane in his process, taking years to do things and more or less forced to make End of Eva so it was kind of a "lol gently caress you" to the audience and studio, resulting in strong opinions about it in every way.

It all resulted in him fulfilling many childhood dreams to later get to direct classic tokukatsu stuff and that's where as director of Shin Ultraman he insisted he be allowed to mocap the fighting moves of his favorite childhood character. Said movies were also insanely good as a testament to his abilities and proof to let the man cook and do what he wants.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

shin godzilla owns

Had a dude vehemently argue with me once that Shin Godzilla is in no way a satire of anything and is in fact a straightforward monster movie

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

this, OP.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The first and only episode of Evangelion on broadcast television I watched, as a kid, was the Instrumentality episode.

Needless to say it was loving baffling.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Heath posted:

Had a dude vehemently argue with me once that Shin Godzilla is in no way a satire of anything and is in fact a straightforward monster movie

thats right

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

pentyne posted:

Eva stuff
That mostly sounds like some purestrain anime forum bullshit but I can't blame you for remembering all the posts ever made on every forum

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

He was also kind of insane in his process, taking years to do things and more or less forced to make End of Eva so it was kind of a "lol gently caress you" to the audience and studio

this is an urban legend. end of eva wasn't spiteful towards anyone

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Autisanal Cheese posted:

The first and only episode of Evangelion on broadcast television I watched, as a kid, was the Instrumentality episode.

Needless to say it was loving baffling.

lol the first time i noticed evangelion was during the congratulations scene when it was airing on toonami

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
did that penguin just say congratulations whats going on

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
I only watched Evangelion because a friend showed me that kickass Bohemian Rhapsody AMV. I didn't like EoE but I did like the string quartet parts of D&R.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

putting evangelion on toonami sure was a choice

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The wiki article for EoE is crazy, the thing that stands out the most is Anno got so much hate from the series ending he tried to kill himself, didn't succeed, and ended up chatting with Miyazaki who advised him to take some time off and rest.

The movie then came together later as a weird sort of collaboration with the series people he trusted giving him various story ideas, including one where there's some kind of werewolf take over of society.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
capping the last movie off with literally giving shinji a spine to fix his problems

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Martman posted:

That mostly sounds like some purestrain anime forum bullshit but I can't blame you for remembering all the posts ever made on every forum

ADTRW is ftw, OP

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
adtrw is a mostly nice forum full of people who genuinely like anime and enjoy talking about it. its a pretty good forum overall

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

In one of the rebuild films the blue haired depressed girl gets to plant rice

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

everyone watch zeta gundam please its good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Was Dr. Gitmo the "looks like that w-word got n-worded" poster?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Village Rei is some of the best parts of all evangelion :hai:

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Famethrowa posted:

Edit:

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I think the rebuilds are my favorite Eva stuff, minus the first one that watches like a clip show.

The ending of rebuild 2 is maybe the most cathartic and depressing thing I’ve ever seen and 3 and 4 both introduce a sort of optimism that isn’t really in the series.

That said Gunbuster is better than Eva.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 30, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Was Dr. Gitmo the "looks like that w-word got n-worded" poster?

the very same

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Eva FTW but I got so tired of waiting for the new Rebuild movies I ended up losing interest and still haven't got around to watching the most recent ones

pog boyfriend posted:

everyone watch zeta gundam please its good

This too Gundam ftw

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

lotta good anime that involves giant robots out there

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

you can always watch something in its release order because if you think about, what could something that came after possibly do to what came before that makes the after more worthwhile? you have to assume the before was able to stand on its own and was good at doing so. there were tons of people who only got to experience it in that exact way because when they watched evangelion or anything else, it was just the one thing. and getting to do that too is a lil cool and special. this is why people who make convoluted watch orders for shows are stupid and you should attack them physically and hurt them.

only watch things in the order they were broadcast imo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

VostokProgram posted:

only watch things in the order they were broadcast imo

Haruhi proved this

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Remembering the absolutely deranged JoJos order some big anime youtuber (FAIL) disseminated onto the normie population and I've seen the effects still to this day....

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Remembering the absolutely deranged JoJos order some big anime youtuber (FAIL) disseminated onto the normie population and I've seen the effects still to this day....

im going to kick this guys rear end

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

its straight up the most deranged poo poo ive ever seen

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

i blame the star wars machete order that got popular 15 years ago for this poo poo

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you must read return of the king first, then fellowship of the ring, the hobbit then the entire Silmarillion and finally two towers to get the most enjoyment out of lord of the rings

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you guys want an Viewing Order Holy War might I suggest The Prisoner? Only seventeen episodes long and even the official DVD release didn't get the order right.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

lol Mother's Basement is the worst poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Only enjoy media in release order, except for Yakuza where you start with 0 and probably skip 3 4 and 5.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)