Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lua posted:

Can’t wait until books have the same incentive and every lovely airport novel becomes 5000 pages long.

book stuffing
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/mar/28/plagiarism-book-stuffing-clickfarms-the-rotten-side-of-self-publishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It really has come full circle.

It's almost hilarious that at best all Musk has is "Shut up you idiot". Smoothbrained Musk times when accountability comes home to roost.

It's basically just "If I'm so stupid, how come I'm rich and launch moon rockets?" A lot of people think that you can't possibly be dumb if you're rich, especially rich people, but you'd think we'd know better by now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The new "Max" captchas are insane, and they're forcing millions of people through them all at once because of the big dumb rebrand:

https://twitter.com/wondermeg_/status/1662454909353033730?t=6ImenpIKn7BvA7Oba6rS5g

We're rushing towards a future where only computers will have enough time to waste on getting through captchas.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
unfeeling computers blaring insane and confusing sounds as part of an inscrutable test of humanity actually finally manages to be part of what dystopian literature promised us

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh i think we posted about crazy captchas for roblox and minecraft.

why yes me an adult/parent would like to have to solve middle school math for my small child.

(also I think one of the best jokes was the animal ball test with having to orient a tortoise right side up which is just has to be on purpose)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PhazonLink posted:

(also I think one of the best jokes was the animal ball test with having to orient a tortoise right side up which is just has to be on purpose)

That's a deep cut if it was deliberate.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

My Max subscription is weird because I don’t get the messed up dice thingy, I get this instead:

I must say tasting the pleasures of the Cenobites sure does beat having to watch the Discovery content.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Twerk from Home posted:

The new "Max" captchas are insane, and they're forcing millions of people through them all at once because of the big dumb rebrand:

https://twitter.com/wondermeg_/status/1662454909353033730?t=6ImenpIKn7BvA7Oba6rS5g

We're rushing towards a future where only computers will have enough time to waste on getting through captchas.

The broken dice problem was funny, but once the cyber bagpipes start I just couldn't stop laughing.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Twerk from Home posted:

Are regular captchas a solved problem now? Or are these just unnecessarily complicated?

Maybe they're using the time this takes to pad their user-website engagement metrics

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So wait is this Max example like real or is it a tik tok joke because I still can't tell, which is also part of the problem.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

There Bias Two posted:

Are regular captchas a solved problem now? Or are these just unnecessarily complicated?

Maybe they're using the time this takes to pad their user-website engagement metrics

I got a captcha recently where I had to listen to a 30 second audio clip and then it would ask me to identify the sum of specific item totals they said.

It was 30 seconds of someone saying, "I went to the store. I got 11 bananas, 14 apples, 7 peaches, 3 pears, 2 grapes, 4 boxes of cereal, 5 pork chops, 1 box of flour, 17 oranges, and 12 bottles of water."

And the prompt was: "How many bottles of water, pears, and grapes did the speaker get?"

It was mindboggling and infuriating that it took almost 45 seconds.

I've also run into another one that just shows 12 pictures of 3 similar shapes in different sizes, angles, colors, and backgrounds and asked you to "pick the shapes that are similar" to another example. But, they are specifically asking for the shapes that are the same shape and size, but not color, angle, or background. Two things being the same color is a similarity!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Twerk from Home posted:

How many times has HBO Max/Go whatever done a rebrand in the last few years? Every time the app is becoming somewhat usable, they burn it all down to make the purple slightly different or whatever. MBA brain is amazing.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

cat botherer posted:

Every time the app is becoming somewhat usable, they burn it all down to make the purple slightly different or whatever. MBA brain is amazing.
No but see this time it is different because

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Dave posted:

So wait is this Max example like real or is it a tik tok joke because I still can't tell, which is also part of the problem.

They're real. They're Arkose MatchKey captchas: https://www.arkoselabs.com/arkose-matchkey/

Max hosed up by modifying the UI so that the buttons cover part of the puzzle, probably to make it fit into smaller area on screen, and also by choosing the "Max Threat" hardest version of the captchas. There's variable difficulty and Max just chose the most difficult for mysterious reasons.

The audio challenges sure are something, they have someone making a fake bee buzzing noise with their mouth:

Max Threat Mode is the hell bagpipies as seen in that video.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Absolutely wild to see someone like Zaslav take what was by far the best, most well-curated streaming service available and put it somewhere below tubi or crunchy roll. Completely running the service into the ground and destroying HBO's reputation of quality in the process.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Absolutely wild to see someone like Zaslav take what was by far the best, most well-curated streaming service available and put it somewhere below tubi or crunchy roll. Completely running the service into the ground and destroying HBO's reputation of quality in the process.
Max is fine. We watched the Succession finale on it without issue. It’s still the best streaming service.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
wasnt he also going all in on reality tv show trash?

surely he produced some new trash.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been having a sensible chuckle at the trashy reality tv stuff creeping in amongst the high-end HBO offerings.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Professor Beetus posted:

The Crunchyroll app, structure, and overall user experience on the PS5 is so loving bad. Why is every language its own season for some shows? Why are movies and mid-season(?) OVAs and specials posted as poo poo like "season 20" instead of their own classification or a #.whatever season so they sit in the right chronological spot? You watch something like Demon Slayer and after the most recent episode it queues up a movie because of the layout.

Put language for subs/dubs in a dropdown when selecting a show, default to JP with EN subs (or put a default selector in the user profile), or any of the other things available in other streaming services. Even Funimation had some QoL stuff that Crunchyroll lacks and they're both owned by the same company now.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vegetable posted:

Max is fine. We watched the Succession finale on it without issue. It’s still the best streaming service.

And in four years you won't be able to watch succession if Discovery decides it's not worth keeping around anymore. They've already pulled HBO content off their premium HBO streaming service.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Obviously Max would use Max Threat Mode, the Threat Mode for Max

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Professor Beetus posted:

And in four years you won't be able to watch succession if Discovery decides it's not worth keeping around anymore. They've already pulled HBO content off their premium HBO streaming service.

thank goodness most usenet servers have 3000 days archives

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Crunchyroll app, structure, and overall user experience on the PS5 is so loving bad. Why is every language its own season for some shows? Why are movies and mid-season(?) OVAs and specials posted as poo poo like "season 20" instead of their own classification or a #.whatever season so they sit in the right chronological spot? You watch something like Demon Slayer and after the most recent episode it queues up a movie because of the layout.

Put language for subs/dubs in a dropdown when selecting a show, default to JP with EN subs (or put a default selector in the user profile), or any of the other things available in other streaming services. Even Funimation had some QoL stuff that Crunchyroll lacks and they're both owned by the same company now.

It's almost as if both companies hired the cheapest interns on Fiver they could find for their app dev teams... 🤔

My experience with CR and Funi:

CR
- The PS4 app would desynch the audio if you went to the dashboard and came back, even if you closed the app first. You had to RESTART YOUR CONSOLE to fix it :downsbravo:
- Chromecast would time out during the episode
- Switch only plays at 720p even when docked
- updates may cause your default language choice to switch back to English (post-Sony acquisition
- xbox 360 version only one to ever have the option to skip the intro, and it was patched out

Funi
- Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, remembers your language choice. Ever.
- used to randomly display 4:3 content in 16:9 format

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 30, 2023

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

cat botherer posted:

How many times has HBO Max/Go whatever done a rebrand in the last few years? Every time the app is becoming somewhat usable, they burn it all down to make the purple slightly different or whatever. MBA brain is amazing.

Just twice, when ATT bought them and wanted to rebrand their streaming service to trick people into thinking it was all HBO quality content. And now, after Discovery bought them and wanted to rebrand their streaming service to trick people into thinking it was all HBO quality content.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't know if the PS5 app is behind on updates but that's more or less fixed now on the latest version of the FireTV app at least. They sorted out the issues on their backend and episodes are listed how a sane person would do it.

duz fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 31, 2023

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

duz posted:

And now, after Discovery bought them and wanted to rebrand their streaming service to trick people into thinking it was all HBO quality content.

But then.... why remove the HBO from the name? :psyduck:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Because the quality is gone :rimshot:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Studies found that the HBO brand was unappealing to women.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If they can consolidate it all to one brand agnostic app then they can also lay off a shitload of people they inherited from the acquisition.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Studies found that the HBO brand was unappealing to women.

So they switched to a brand that was unappealing to everyone?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
drat Max , you ruined the name Max. lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

OddObserver posted:

So they switched to a brand that was unappealing to everyone?

Isn't Discovery the channel that has all those "Hitler's nazi gold!" and "aliens built the pyramids?" :airquote: "documentaries"?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mister Facetious posted:

Isn't Discovery the channel that has all those "Hitler's nazi gold!" and "aliens built the pyramids?" :airquote: "documentaries"?

Yes, and the History channel too now. Cable is garbage.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Impressive to get that Fat Joe endorsement of Discovery+.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Wow, what a coincidence!

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There was at least one report that HBO wanted the name removed so that they wouldn't be associated with 90 Day Fiance.

I'm ambivalent to the change. The name is stupid but there's still a ridiculous amount of content, particularly the HBO catalog and the TCM catalog, and now I can marathon house hunters and how it's made. The content loss is bad but so far it seems pretty limited with the only really notable loss being Westworld. Sure it could go bad later but that's when I'll cancel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don;t get why HBO keeps loving with this poo poo because of the 3 streaming platforms I have it's definitely my favorite. The gently caress was wrong with it in the first place?

MAX still remembers me (to a point) but is making me jump through hoops to re-enter my poo poo and download a new app and none of it makes any sense.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i dont know what a genredom is, but i can sort context clue it because im a metroidvania fan, but it seems like an invented word by PR because they saw/laerned of "fandom."

but nerds just say BLANK COMMUNITY

also dont know what the hell they mean by lean in, lean back. or appointment vs comfort?

does HBO have live content or a weekly release as oppose to season bombs? thats the only way "appointment" means anything

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 31, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

BiggerBoat posted:

I don;t get why HBO keeps loving with this poo poo because of the 3 streaming platforms I have it's definitely my favorite. The gently caress was wrong with it in the first place?

MAX still remembers me (to a point) but is making me jump through hoops to re-enter my poo poo and download a new app and none of it makes any sense.
Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re just a loving moron who’s uneducated and doesn’t understand Business and Marketing. These executives are operating on a level you could never comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re just a loving moron who’s uneducated and doesn’t understand Business and Marketing. These executives are operating on a level you could never comprehend.

"You may not like it, but this is what late stage capitalism looks like."