Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I was using crossbow dwarves only in combination with a penned in narrow strip with a fortification window and a drawbridge shutter beyond that. I'd build the whole setup at the top layer of a cavern, one block away from open space, and then channel the thin wall out from above. Of course you then want to close in the path to the channel.

Just watch that when your dwarves see an enemy the suicidal combat pathing lets them climb horizontally for a surprising distance, and jump to clear small gaps, and the cavern dwellers often can do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rincewinds posted:

Are they bunched up in the open? You could drop the roof on them.

they are not
theyre scattered throughout this cave and whenever i send a couple guys out to pick off the ones that get too close 12 more spawn in and disembowel everyone in a 15 tile radius

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Just turn off cave invaders. They're poorly balanced and only useful for metal if you can't rely on goblins

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

cant you only do that at worldgen? if i can turn it off mid game i might tbh

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I believe you go into the pause menu and select custom difficulty.

You can futz with the numbers to get it so you get very small waves, occasionally. But they are such a pain I don't generally.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is wrong with archery? :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

theres issues with dwarves getting and refilling quivers properly afair.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is wrong with archery? :ohdear:

i have a big scrooge mcduck vault of crossbow bolts but my dwarves insist on using the crossbows as melee weapons

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

hbag posted:

i have a big scrooge mcduck vault of crossbow bolts but my dwarves insist on using the crossbows as melee weapons

what is wrong with archery

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Theres a few overlapping issues, iirc the three biggest ones are

a) dwarfs are weird about what ammo they'll pick up, they seem to just ignore a lot of available ammunition especially if it's older
b) marksdwarfs won't try to stay out of melee range, instead they'll keep moving forward as they shoot
c) in previous versions it was possible to designate some ammunition only for use while training, but the steam release doesn't have this feature

Toady mentioned back in January that the first big patch for the steam version would have a lot of ranged combat fixes, Im assuming thats still the plan

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Thanks for the information btw everyone, it's helped tremendously.

Here's a story I wrote about 12 fortresses ago (so last week):
---
My 200 pop fortress was brought down to 10 due to a wereiguana apocalypse. On the one hand I'm glad to have some fps again, but on the other all 8x of my brand new migrant dwarves are extremely pissed and not doing anything I'd like them to do, such as burying the mountain of corpses strewn throughout the levels.

I also made sure to evict the last two dwarves who survived the prior fortress attack as they were probably corrupted from the encounter. Naturally one of them fell into my pond while they were Bruce Bannering their rear end out of my lands. After a few minutes he promptly transformed, was restored to 100% health, and then he discovered he was stuck.

I ended up abandoning the fortress later on for a few reasons, but I like to think that specific dwarf is still stuck in that pit, forever doomed to ride to the cusp of death until they inevitably transform again and heal all wounds.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I didn't realize that you had to smooth the stone at the edge of the map and install arrow slits in order for water to drain off the map, I thought you just had to dig to the edge. Anyway my massive aquaduct system began to backflow at such a rapid pace that I had to abandon the region.

I'm super curious if the ruin will still be flooded when I return at a later date.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

speaking of fps im wondering if i should do something about the piles of dead goblins thatve been littering the ground outside my fort. it probably isnt making my dwarves feel great that they walk past hundreds of rotting corpses every day

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You’d think they’d enjoy seeing dead gobs.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

yeah loving "ablublublu i dont like seeing this goblin's corpse" i mean its either this or he kidnaps your son

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This may surprise you but most people don't enjoy seeing rotting corpses regardless of criminal status

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You can build a wall around your corpse pile so people only see them when dropping off another corpse. Or if you don't have the resources for that put the corpse pile in a distant corner of the map where people have no reason to go except to drop off more corpses.

When emotions were more debilitating I used to build a series of outdoor 5*5 rooms so people would only see a few other corpses while dropping one off.

For a while invaders could also be emotionally devastated by seeing corpses so I put my corpse pile along the edge of the map where goblins tended to spawn. Invaders would stop in shock and horror at all the corpses, weeping and soliloquising, giving my dwarfs a few more precious minutes to get back inside the walls.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Just dump that poo poo into the magma chute, why do yall have piles of corpses lying around.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Just leave the corpses where they fall and speedrun your population to "doesn't really care about anything anymore".

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Facebook Aunt posted:

Just leave the corpses where they fall and speedrun your population to "doesn't really care about anything anymore".

this is what ive been doing and im assuming its at least partially related to my dwarves all being depressed

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

A Dwarf who feels emotions is no good for the Fort. Purge them of weakness.

Although admittedly, I normally turn of corpse hauling for children because they become dangerous criminals who are immune to punishment. So many innocent craftsmen dead from a tantruming Dwarf lad.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/RobinCoyote/status/1606754322792022019?t=H88QX63svaUYloEFBHfqzQ&s=19

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Now, let's talk about mermaid farming...

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I really don't get the Gobbos. I've razed every tower, and every pit within a 4 day walk , I have about 15 dead clowns piled up out the front of the fortess, along with countless forgotten beasts, as part of a boneyard that stretches to the edge of the map, moats on either side of the walls and an entrance guarded by about 60 fully trained war bears as well as a permanent rotation of legendary bowmen in steel armor guarding those wall. And they want to send in a squad of snatchers into *that*. (And yes, this is partly a gloat post. I'm honestly trying to figure out what to do next with this fortress other than declaring war on the entire map. Also is something supposed to happen when you get the queen enough trinkets, cos I got her the trinkets and..... she's more interested in banning exporting cups.

At least send in something whos armor I can melt....

StarkRavingMad posted:

Now, let's talk about mermaid farming...

Do we need to be reminded about that cursed concept.....

duck monster fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 3, 2023

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
There were many such concepts. I also recall a dwarven super soldier project that involved tossing children into rooms overcrowded with dogs so they'd constantly be hurt and lose all emotions. I think I also vaguely recall some stuff speculating about getting them injured and having them swathed in adamantine cloth bandages to do a 6 million dollar dwarf-mummy kind of thing.

I do recall a thread on the dwarf fortress forums where they legitimately tried to find something in the game, anything, that could not be used to kill someone. I do not believe they were ever able to find something not-deadly. This included handfuls of alcohol (Not in a container, sometimes you could obtain it as a single unit of just alcohol) being used to beat to death some poor animal.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What is going on in my tavern? Last time I played I grumbled about elves and goblins hanging around drinking my booze. Now things are completely out of control.

Little blue guy in the lower left is some kind of frogman criminal. Gobbo in the middle is naked. No excuse either, several people have discarded their pants nearby, he could put something on.

Purple lady in the upper right is a "dwarf bard necromancer". There's also a human bard doomed corpse. Dwarf bard dark hunter. Human poet doomed corpse. Dwarf poet risen butcher. What the heck? I don't even think they are together. I guess if the local necromancer takes up a singing career you go along with it, because it's better than their previous hobby?

At least the necromancer seems to be having a good time. This sad sack is wasting their unholy mockery of life.

Never feels anything. Their poetry must be dire.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

that reminds me of the dwarven necromancer doctor that i kept on 24/7 library duty, because i wanted a book with the secrets of life and death. but instead they were just darkly obsessed with hernias, spending all day ruminating and writing about them even though it made them miserable

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

So I saw there's a way to create poo poo tons of energy via water wheels, but uh, what do you spend that energy on?

Also I want a necromancer to join my fortress that sounds rad.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tungsten posted:

that reminds me of the dwarven necromancer doctor that i kept on 24/7 library duty, because i wanted a book with the secrets of life and death. but instead they were just darkly obsessed with hernias, spending all day ruminating and writing about them even though it made them miserable

He was right though, hernias are the worst. Even for the undead, apparently.

The Demilich posted:

So I saw there's a way to create poo poo tons of energy via water wheels, but uh, what do you spend that energy on?

Screw pumps. DIY volcano.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 4, 2023

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I love that the 'petty brooding necromancer author' thing is still true. Oh, this guy loves writing, surely he'll create a book with the secrets of life and death to spread around. Ah, no, he spent nine years writing a series of bitter missives about someone from the mountainhomes he had a feud with as a child and then two books about optic lensing, a topic about which he knows nothing.

Re: Infinite power: Mostly just doing Horrible Horrible things with either water or magma, depending on which is more available to you. Or both, if you're the sort of masochist who wants to try to rig up an aerial obsidian cave-in defense mechanism, assuming that works in the Steam version. It does feel a little weird that there's this cool mechanical power system that's been there for ages and only an extremely limited number of toys it interacts with, but such is the nature of DF's growth.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The power system is a bit of a monkey's paw situation. There are lots of things that probably should take power. Like a lever raising a bridge ten levels down. A single dwarf child does not have the arm strength to raise a bridge like that using only 2 mechanisms.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Tungsten posted:

I read this outloud to my partner and he remarked "just like Darwin and his barnacles". Life imitates art, and all that.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
they used a lever op it's fine

anyway there's always dwarven rollercoasters and/or railguns

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I love that the 'petty brooding necromancer author' thing is still true. Oh, this guy loves writing, surely he'll create a book with the secrets of life and death to spread around. Ah, no, he spent nine years writing a series of bitter missives about someone from the mountainhomes he had a feud with as a child and then two books about optic lensing, a topic about which he knows nothing.

Re: Infinite power: Mostly just doing Horrible Horrible things with either water or magma, depending on which is more available to you. Or both, if you're the sort of masochist who wants to try to rig up an aerial obsidian cave-in defense mechanism, assuming that works in the Steam version. It does feel a little weird that there's this cool mechanical power system that's been there for ages and only an extremely limited number of toys it interacts with, but such is the nature of DF's growth.
If you really want such a book, send a squad to raid a necromancers tower. Repeat enough times and eventually you'll get a book from them. It's actually something you have to watch out for to ensure you destroy any books with those secrets if you don't want necromancers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Are necromancers traumatized by the sight of corpses or are they just like "Oh rad" *makes a magical gesture!*

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

What is going on in my tavern? Last time I played I grumbled about elves and goblins hanging around drinking my booze. Now things are completely out of control.

Little blue guy in the lower left is some kind of frogman criminal. Gobbo in the middle is naked. No excuse either, several people have discarded their pants nearby, he could put something on.

Purple lady in the upper right is a "dwarf bard necromancer". There's also a human bard doomed corpse. Dwarf bard dark hunter. Human poet doomed corpse. Dwarf poet risen butcher. What the heck? I don't even think they are together. I guess if the local necromancer takes up a singing career you go along with it, because it's better than their previous hobby?

At least the necromancer seems to be having a good time. This sad sack is wasting their unholy mockery of life.

Never feels anything. Their poetry must be dire.

That pub is going to go haywire if someone dies in a punchup. Beware. Necromancers bring fun!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

He was right though, hernias are the worst. Even for the undead, apparently.

gently caress hernias. I had a midline one (Underneath the bellybutton, not to be confused with the nasty groin ones) , not big, just a weird lump and I got it removed, and the surgeon basically dirty-scalpeled me and I ended spending 2 1/2 months in hospital on a permanent antibiotics drip and lost my bellybutton cos they had to amputate the whole loving thing out. This about 10 years after a surgeon hosed up a throat operation leaving me bedridden in unbelievable pain for a month. I have no luck with surgeons :(

On more dorfy matters, I've got this dude in my fortress, and hes...... friendly? Popped out of a wall I was hacking adamantine out of and just sorta said "Sup!" and moved on, even though I got a popup telling me it was the Apocalypse! Mostly hangs out in upper caverns murdering trogladytes and elk birds, but he hung out in the tavern for a bit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

from the name alone I'm guessing its a type of angel. which is weird because those are also kinda hostile.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

from the name alone I'm guessing its a type of angel. which is weird because those are also kinda hostile.

Looking around the net, I *think* if you have a temple to the type of god governing that angel its friendly, I *think*.

He ended up flying to the surface, fighting with one of those necromancer experiment warrior bards (Shame, I liked that weird little guy), ganking it, then flew off. Or Died. But at the same time something hosed up the human caravan, now I have an exploded caravan and a bunch of bored merchants in the pub. Which will probably kill my trade with the humans unless I install DFHack and unjank it :(

duck monster fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Jyrraeth posted:

I read this outloud to my partner and he remarked "just like Darwin and his barnacles". Life imitates art, and all that.

nice, i like the in-universe justification that the dwarf actually has to explain necromancy through interminable meditations on hernias, but it's just slow going