Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm telling you, a Skoova and Turgle spinoff where they go around the galaxy looking for fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Fuzz posted:

I'm telling you, a Skoova and Turgle spinoff where they go around the galaxy looking for fish.

Turgle spent a brief period touring with Ashe, or as he calls it, "frog gigging"

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Soonmot posted:

i got in the habit of spamming push as the fight starts up after a cut scene, it seems to prevent the immediate pull in and, if I'm quick enough, let me toss off a heal. I called it a night after about half an hour. Hopefully sleep will work its magic

for that fight i found the key was non-stop aggression, as long as you're in his face he only does his normal attacks and you don't have to worry about dodging the long distance stuff

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
There's an auto lock-on option in the menu that I turned on for that one fight where it's hard to relock. I also turned off the button mashing while I was at it because my thumb got sore.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finished the main story. I go to get my thoughts in order, but it's definitely up there as one of my favorite games of the year. I think I'll do some post game exploring and then come back for NG+ down the line.

Ending stuff: Since there's setup for a third game, it makes sense that Survivor follows Star Wars tradition of having a downer middle, but I was genuinely shocked about how grim this was. The final fight ending with Cal uncerimoniously double-tapping Bode was not what I was expecting. It felt like something out of a Michael Mann movie ending. The post game does bring back some positivity and hope when talking to the crew, but finding the echo of Bode and Kata singing the lullaby was brutal. I also went back to Koboh and it's sad seeing Pyloon's becoming emptier and hearing that your friends are starting to leave. There's an air of melancholy (along with the Star Destroyer) to everything.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 30, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

Ending stuff: Going to assume that we're going to get a third game, so it makes sense that Survivor follows Star Wars tradition of having a downer middle, but I was genuinely shocked about how grim this was. The final fight ending with Cal uncerimoniously double-tapping Bode was not what I was expecting. It felt like something out of a Michael Mann movie ending. The post game does bring back some positivity and hope when talking to the crew, but finding the echo of Bode and Kata singing the lullaby was brutal. I also went back to Koboh and it's sad seeing Pyloon's becoming emptier and hearing that your friends are starting to leave. There's an air of melancholy (along with the Star Destroyer) to everything.

Game was definitely going for a Western vibe, with the grim tone and tiny outskirts town struggling to survive. I think they pulled it off, and yeah, having Cal kill Bobe a gun (the same one Bode gave him!) was a lot bleaker than the usual Jedi deaths we get in Star Wars stories.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Also, shoutouts to all the great NPCs in the game. Lots of people talk about Turgle and Skoova Stev, but I really liked everyone else in Pyloon's as well. Mosey rules.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
It's funny to me that people have issues with lock on being disabled after cutscenes, because I have the opposite problem.

I never use lock on in soulsbornes or other games like this, but I've had numerous deaths immediately after using the slow super, because the input is L3 + R3 which initiates lock on, which messes up my movement inputs so I can't dodge away properly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

There's an auto lock-on option in the menu that I turned on for that one fight where it's hard to relock. I also turned off the button mashing while I was at it because my thumb got sore.

Had the button mash turned off at the start of the game, I forgot about auto lock on, I'll turn that on for the fight, thanks.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

for that fight i found the key was non-stop aggression, as long as you're in his face he only does his normal attacks and you don't have to worry about dodging the long distance stuff

Oh hell yeah, I learned that quick, but a bunch of those cut scenes end with you pushed back.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
NPCs I could have done without:

Fortune teller lady. Useless
Grifter couple. Made me feel bad
Coruscanti alien lady who lost her data pad in the swamp. Cry more
Skoova. in awe of how much dialog they recorded for this twerp
Holo tactics announcer. I will never play this minigame thanks to him. Stfu
Caij. Looked awesome until she opened her mouth more than a crack. But that voice…my god. I think I understand how some people feel about Jar Jar now. Unholy crossbreed of perky nerd and bogan. so of course you have to talk to her like 20 times to do the longest side quest in the game, which is also broken.

NPCs I would have liked more of:

Zee. Seems like a droid who lived through all the High Republic bullshit would be much more useful source of info than she ends up being! Yeah, all the really important info got wiped from her memory, and the team already has a droid, but still.
Kind of an extension of that, but Dagan/Santari/Rayvis/various old people from echoes as a whole. The game piqued my interest on this stuff but I never felt quite like it came together
Mosey
Depressed basement droid whose entire family is dead
The town paranoid psychotic
Monk
Music producer who stands around the bar all day vibing

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

skasion posted:

Caij. Looked awesome until she opened her mouth more than a crack. But that voice…my god. I think I understand how some people feel about Jar Jar now. Unholy crossbreed of perky nerd and bogan. so of course you have to talk to her like 20 times to do the longest side quest in the game, which is also broken.

Zee. Seems like a droid who lived through all the High Republic bullshit would be much more useful source of info than she ends up being! Yeah, all the really important info got wiped from her memory, and the team already has a droid, but still.
Kind of an extension of that, but Dagan/Santari/Rayvis/various old people from echoes as a whole. The game piqued my interest on this stuff but I never felt quite like it came together
Mosey
Monk

Holo Tactics Announcer is Yuri Lowenthal doing minimal effort - he can do good work, but when he half-asses it he *really* half-asses it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I liked Gido and Gulu, the interspecies couple who give zero fucks. Two awful people who're perfect for each other.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

it just occurred to me that the openly gay couple including a Claude slug could be read as commentary on the cowardace of the 1 second background character lesbian kiss on TROS cutting away immediately for the Claude reaction.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They for sure made him an alien with non-humanoid morphology to side-step Star War's long-standing fear of the gay.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Owlbear Camus posted:

it just occurred to me that the openly gay couple including a Claude slug could be read as commentary on the cowardace of the 1 second background character lesbian kiss on TROS cutting away immediately for the Claude reaction.

I wondered at that when I first saw them, too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Late game gameplay spoiler question - Do the skills related to Slow become useless once you get the dark side skill? Or can you switch back somehow (though I don't think I'd really want to since the dark side one is very good).

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
That Star Destroyer scared away my space lesbians. I shall pull it from the sky.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

skasion posted:

Mosey
Monk

Yes, but what about Turgle...

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

For me, I liked that the High Republic stuff/characters was mostly lost history, with the info you glean focusing more on the parallels to Cal's journey. If I wanted more HR stuff, I would play a game about that setting (just, you know, not made by David Cage.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Yes, but what about Turgle...

He’s fine. Correct amount of Turgle imo

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

skasion posted:

He’s fine. Correct amount of Turgle imo

I dunno, I feel like in true Star Wars fashion it would have made sense to actually have Turgle try to, say, go negotiate Zee back from the Lucrehulk or something like that, only to get caught himself and need rescuing to illustrate his abject cowardice and incompetence, but then at the last minute he's somehow useful in another way, maybe in escaping, just to sorta have that minor bit of redemption and bring him into the story like most of the other people in the cantina. Turgle really only is relevant in the initial meeting with Rayvis and then is just set dressing and comic relief as a fool for the rest of the game.

Same thing could be said for doing a joint hunt with Mosey or something, since she also is a character they tell you about a lot but never actually show you. Clearly was cut content, but it would have been cool to be able to have her as an ally for those specific legendary hunts, or have an extra couple missions with actual hunts where the two of you track down something and then take it out.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Could they have done more with Turgle? Yeah maybe

Do I want them to? No

He got one belly laugh out of me (the echo where he’s reflecting on the moral taint that has come over him and how he is now a frog of blood). While trying to make sure that I didn’t just imagine this, I found a funny article from the lead writer about him, where he says basically there there was a conscious choice not to develop Turgle too much or make him more than tangentially interested in the plot.

https://dannyhoman.substack.com/p/dissecting-turgle-the-irrepressible?r=bgt4a&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

It’s not easy being greenish.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

There's also a neat article about BD-1. I didn't realize he was played by Gideon Emry! https://dannyhoman.substack.com/p/hope-is-a-droid-bd-1-in-star-wars

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

they can't name rick the door technician that and then just make him die!!!!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Deformed Church posted:

You don't have to kill him.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How did I miss the basement droid? I don't think I ever talked to them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Rascyc posted:

How did I miss the basement droid? I don't think I ever talked to them.

It's how you get into the Funky Caverns.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Skippy McPants posted:

there should be an achievement for gently lifting and dropping him on the far side of the chasm and leaving him to fix doors

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Skippy McPants posted:

too late :negative:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fuzz posted:

It's how you get into the Funky Caverns.
Oh that droid, I never did find where he ended up after recruitment. Thought he just left or something, oops

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Deformed Church posted:

OK, apologies if I'm dumb and missed the explanation, but that's obviously a reference to something, but I have no idea what. Is it related to that Saturday Night Live Kylo Ren Undercover Boss skit or something else?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rascyc posted:

Oh that droid, I never did find where he ended up after recruitment. Thought he just left or something, oops

He's outside of a house in the bustling downtown district, across from the place the Jawas hang out at. IIRC you talk to him there after you recruit him, and he'll give you some gift or another from his home.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

OK, apologies if I'm dumb and missed the explanation, but that's obviously a reference to something, but I have no idea what. Is it related to that Saturday Night Live Kylo Ren Undercover Boss skit or something else?

Kylo was Matt, a radar tech.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Don’t forget he was also Randy, the Intern

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Had the button mash turned off at the start of the game, I forgot about auto lock on, I'll turn that on for the fight, thanks.

Oh hell yeah, I learned that quick, but a bunch of those cut scenes end with you pushed back.

welp another 30 minutes of just getting wrecked after the half way point. Auto lockon did help, usually got to that point without having to heal or only needing 1. Maybe tomorrow.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I beat the rancor on master on a relatively inexperienced new game Cal and it felt pretty good! Had to retry a few times due to dying on one hit basically (unless at full health).

Soonmot posted:

welp another 30 minutes of just getting wrecked after the half way point. Auto lockon did help, usually got to that point without having to heal or only needing 1. Maybe tomorrow.

My suggestion is just get right up in their grill. Always be moving or attacking. You can catch a breather with a guard break. The fight relies a lot on being aggressive and good fundamentals (parrying especially). Don’t gently caress around with force powers.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Needed to be a Turgle boss fight imo. They missed an opportunity by not having him team up with the two Oggdos

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

I beat the rancor on master on a relatively inexperienced new game Cal and it felt pretty good! Had to retry a few times due to dying on one hit basically (unless at full health).

My suggestion is just get right up in their grill. Always be moving or attacking. You can catch a breather with a guard break. The fight relies a lot on being aggressive and good fundamentals (parrying especially). Don’t gently caress around with force powers.

that's not really my problem. It's when he does that ground pound that pushes me back far enough that he force pushes me further and hits me with a fire ball before I can recover, all of that will kill me from like 3/4 a full health bar.

The saber sequence where he does two unblockables in a row and then like six normal strikes isn't great either, but that's something I'll adapt too if I get enough time in that phase of the fight, but the ground>push>fireball usually takes me out first. I've been getting to that part of the fight with 3 or 4 of the 4 stims you get for that battle, it's just gently caress up once and now I have to do the whole thing over which is frustrating as poo poo. If I dont beat it tomorrow I'm dropping difficulty to story mode. I despised elden ring and am too old for this poo poo.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Are you parrying the push? I assume you can dodge the ground pound, but can’t remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

...! posted:

Needed to be a Turgle boss fight imo. They missed an opportunity by not having him team up with the two Oggdos

In part three he’s going to teach Cal how to tame and ride the Oggdos.