Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

First of all, it's a magazine and not a clip and furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

:nice: i stopped following it after a month

goons ftw

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
well i just marathonned this thread, fantastic everything.

doubters can vacate, i have worked with ex-cons a fair bit over the years doing coding classes and following up with a couple of the more earnest ones. managed to even get one guy's record expunged because he kept his nose clean for so long. harvey's posting even picks up the vocal cadence of the guys who found peace inside, i wish it was more common but some guys basically come to the point where they really know themselves and are at peace with themselves and they get this very placid and unhurried way of speaking that just oozes tranquility. i pretty much hear it through the screen on harvey's posts.

harvey, all peace and warmth, dude. i am glad you are out. obviously it's gonna be a long road to adjust but if i could offer you one little bit of friendly advice, it would be don't sell yourself short. i've been in business for myself for over a decade by now and two of the most common reasons entrepreneurs fail is they are too panicky when things go wrong and they don't think of the long term when trying to figure out what to do next. it's clear to me you found your peace, and while you were inside obviously the only thing you had was the long term. i hope you get that job at the salvage yard because a cat with the soft skills you picked up on the inside could end up running a place just like it faster than you think. all you're missing is the connections to feed in business (which that calmness will help you get because it makes you seem really confident, even if you don't feel it) and the spark to start it up (which the long term planning stuff will help you recognize ways to build up to).

obviously nobody's saying you gotta do all that. but if you ever get a wild hair about trying to do something big, don't think you can't.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hey zoo zoos,

I note the title of the thread asks "teach me your ways".

What sorta poo poo do you wanna know about?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
mans been in on the inside for 30 years, that's like the equivalent of leaving university as an associate professor

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Moot made 4chan, but I don't think he actually ever got perma'd from sa, pretty sure he just left and never came back. Unless they spite-perma'd him at some other point down the road.

It's probably been answered in the thread, but what sort of news source did you have in the prison, since you said you got news? Was it a prison newspaper specifically, tv channels of the prison's choosing, or limited internet access to news websites?

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
here OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7tOAGY59uQ

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

This is a nice thread and I’m glad you’re here, Harvey.

I’m from New Zealand and my favourite movie zoo zoos are Jaffas (dark chocolate balls with bright red orange flavoured candy coating), pineapple lumps (chewy pineapple kinda like laffy taffy texture, chocolate coating), and a chocolate dipped ice cream. Not all of them for the same movie though, that would be way too much sugar. I also like popcorn but I prefer the sweet-and-salty kind you get at the supermarket or my homemade stuff with coconut oil and nutritional yeast. It’s a nice savoury flavour.

Edit: here’s a picture of my lil dingus friend.

He is six months old and a holy terror who climbs curtains and wants to sleep on my face, but I knew what I was getting into when I adopted him. I foster kittens a few times a year, and I’d had him and his buddies for a month already.
I also have a 13 year old very dignified round girl to keep him in line, and he’s learning.

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 30, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I never heard of adding yeast to popcorn. It sounds insane but I’m intrigued

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Snowy posted:

I never heard of adding yeast to popcorn. It sounds insane but I’m intrigued

Nutritional yeast is little dry flakes of savoury deliciousness. It’s high in B vitamins and kind of cheesy/umami tasting. I don’t know how common it is where you are but I got it from the regular supermarket bulk bins when I lived in Canada (and also at the supermarket here, but it’s with the gluten-free/vegan/organic hippy foods here)

Sometimes I put it on vegemite toast for the TRIPLE YEAST BEAST

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cool thanks, maybe I’ll give it a shot. I have to cut back on sodium so anything that adds flavor to popcorn is helpful.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i miss pineapple lumps so loving bad dude i used to have a friend who'd send some my way across the oceans and id stick those fuckers in the freezer for a day before diving in. the best zoo zoos... simply the best

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

This thread is like when a new kid transfers to our school.

I'm like 6 pages behind but another "famous" goon was Vilerat who died in Benghazi.

Google search tip: put words in quotes if they are very important to your search. Searching Zoo zoos recipe chocolate chips peanuts might bring you a bunch of irrelevant zoo zoos that have chocolate chips, but Zoo zoos recipe chocolate chips "peanuts" will only return things that have peanuts.

Who were some other people you had in your corner to support you? I have a brother-in-law in jail, and his dad is always concerned about being his connection to the outside world in order to keep him from being institutionalized; anything stick out that was a particularly helpful lifeline for you?

Quotes don't really work anymore on their own, for Google you need to search in "verbatim mode" for that to still work.

That's under tools, then under the "all results" drop-down.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

did anyone tel; the op we're all gay yet?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
OP get AMC A List if you like watching movies. You'll need an AMC near you though

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
All zoo zoos should be available everywhere. It’s dumb stuff is regional

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

harveys zoo zoos posted:

yes that's one of the first things i want to do to feel better about myself, physically. i'll get them covered up with something ursula k leguin related or maybe something buddhist or taoist

it will take time to finance and get done though

Hey, if you ever start a gofundme (online way to raise $) I'll pitch in some cash for this.

If you're in Colorado I know some good tattoo artists who could help also.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I think you said you liked sinead o'connor

She ripped up a picture of the pope on Saturday night live and got a lot of backlash from that.

Turns out a lot of priests were molesters and pedophiles after all and the church was hiding a lot of it.

A band called the Dixie chicks talked smack about the U.S invading Afghanistan and Iraq and were also kinda blackballed.

There have been quite a few "leakers" that have exposed what the U.S and others are up to with their military/civilian access or hacking and it embarrassed the hell out of the government and maybe put some lives at risk, but the truth wants to be free I guess.

That Google tip above is good to know, one thing that separates from your generation and older from mine (millennials) is that I can research things and make an effort to Google things I want to know; to fix things or make informed decisions or purchases, somethingawful and sometimes reddit can help

Some older folks can do it or learn, others just go by what cousin Bob or Bill at the store said once against all evidence and in opposition to changing science, research and reality.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

A band called the Dixie chicks talked smack about the U.S invading Afghanistan and Iraq and were also kinda blackballed.

They also decided to get rid of the Confederate imagery in their name and are just called The Chicks now

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

That Google tip above is good to know, one thing that separates from your generation and older from mine (millennials) is that I can research things and make an effort to Google things I want to know; to fix things or make informed decisions or purchases, somethingawful and sometimes reddit can help

This brings up another good point, reddit may suck as far as a community goes, but it can be great for getting real answers to things instead of garbage ad-filled websites that game the system; if you are looking for advice or info and not finding what you need, sometimes it helps to google cat ate lily plant poisonous site:reddit.com or robotic cat litter box reviews site:reddit.com which will try to only return results from reddit.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

cumpantry posted:

i miss pineapple lumps so loving bad dude i used to have a friend who'd send some my way across the oceans and id stick those fuckers in the freezer for a day before diving in. the best zoo zoos... simply the best

i'll go one further - pinapple lumps are great, but hell I even covet peanut slab even though there are 500 similar chocolate and peanut products. peanut slab is the best.

also supermarket afghans and marshmallow fish. I miss NZoozoos

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Hello Harvey, I hope you and your mum and cousin Todd are all doing well.

After I left the military I had some (significantly easier) adjusting to do. It takes time, but you'll adjust and I hope you keep your great attitude and enthusiasm for the rest of your life.

I've only read a few LeGuin books, but she's one of my favourites as well :)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I didn't know who UKLG was but I bought The Unreal and the Real from a bookstore in New Hope because I really liked the cover and title. Also, I think there was another collection of short stories that was paired with it and that also had a cool cover and title but I settled for getting the one cuz they were huge. I really like her story about the town that moves around the map.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

harveys zoo zoos posted:

the stuff i enjoyed most overall though was maritime fiction. all the heavy hitters like moby dick, shogun, the hornblower series

those wide open oceans, man.

ooh, if you liked Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin books you'll be happy to hear they made a very decent movie from a chunk of that series called Master And Commander: Far Side of the World, and if you haven't read them then you should check them out, I bet you'd love them and there's like twenty of them

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Hornblower miniseries are decent, but the last one, you can really tell how much of a budget they had to work with

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Shithouse Dave posted:

Sometimes I put it on vegemite toast for the TRIPLE YEAST BEAST

poo poo that sounds great i'm doing this next time i make toast

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pink Mist posted:

The facebook/twitter style of website became more popular. The likes/followers/short posts/etc. are designed specifically to keep people clicking. And there’s also no paywall so posting is easier

Yeh, this is why we already had the weird content mill tweets, where people just post images of SA posts with spicy meta-commentary like 'lol I'm dying' and 'goons :rolleyes:'

People seeking their dopamine hits from stripmining forums content for their handful of Twitter followers is...well, welcome to the internet in 2023, OP.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 31, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
well how am I supposed to get validated without heartclicks if my posts laughing at goons get ignored at the water source

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The trick is, you don't. We are all equally valid, which is to say not valid.

Unless you mean parking.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hell yeah. I'm the goon who asked about music. And I'm glad to hear you like Sabbath. I hosted a stoner rock radio show for a while and this poo poo is right up my alley.

You might also enjoy:

Kadavar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHqF22EQc3A

Triggerfinger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKqxPx05AhA

Clutch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sj76eCy6ag

Mastodon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9qWYUH5x3k

Edit :q: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC1FxMPmn2s

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 31, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

RandomPauI posted:

The Hornblower miniseries are decent, but the last one, you can really tell how much of a budget they had to work with

hell yea they are,

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

hey yall i got the job at the junkyard. i start saturday. i'll be splitting time between there and the recycling center. they take stuff that's hard to recycle like batteries and electronics, paint, oil, stuff like that

i might also get a part time job at a storage facility, cleaning out storage spaces that have been closed for non payment

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

congrats harvey

get some good thick work gloves if you can
get a good industrial respirator/mask if you can (they might provide one, they might not)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
good for you harvey

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Congrats!

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

i wanted to ask y'all

what is up with all the star wars stuff hahaha. i loved all the movies as a kid

i watched phantom menace last night and wow i uh don't know. i mean it looked good to me but there was so much dumb stuff. jar jar. what is that mess come on

cousin todd watches that boba fett show whatever it is, i don't know. but there's so much star wars now.

did people go nuts for the new trilogy when it came out

are any of the new movies really good

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hey yall i got the job at the junkyard. i start saturday. i'll be splitting time between there and the recycling center. they take stuff that's hard to recycle like batteries and electronics, paint, oil, stuff like that

i might also get a part time job at a storage facility, cleaning out storage spaces that have been closed for non payment

Let us know if work sucks or if we're all spoiled babies who don't know how good we have it, okay?

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

oh also we're going to the animal shelter tomorrow for sure

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

harveys zoo zoos posted:

In a good way or a bad way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i wanted to ask y'all

what is up with all the star wars stuff hahaha. i loved all the movies as a kid

i watched phantom menace last night and wow i uh don't know. i mean it looked good to me but there was so much dumb stuff. jar jar. what is that mess come on

cousin todd watches that boba fett show whatever it is, i don't know. but there's so much star wars now.

are any of the new movies really good

the prequels are george lucas sticking his head so deep in his rear end he can eat twice. episode 3 is okay

disney bought the entire franchise in 2012 and anything released since then is soulless corporate cash grab garbage

none of it is good