Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Game would be so much better if they could simply get AI to loving build. I gotta look into mods for this.

also wtf is my capitalists doing

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Asproigerosis posted:

also wtf is my capitalists doing

Art

Apparently conspicuously funding artists is your country's form of rich guy dickwaving

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hellfire, they're still doing that poo poo huh

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I swear capitalists look at how overpriced art is all the time (because gently caress, I'm not going to build arts academies) and sponsor artists everywhere constantly. But they don't check infrastructure or qualifications when they do, so you end up with thirty arts academies in rural communities that can't produce any art or affect the going price for art because there're no artists and they can't put paintings on a buggy to get to market. And then the next capitalist says "oh look, art is too expensive and I can get a throughput bonus by building in Idaho..."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vicky 2 had actual clippers but all the poor capitalists in Vicky 3 get is merely paintings of them, and they don't even always receive any. :(

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Any interesting small or weird nations to play? I’m thinking Belgium (but that’s obvious), Greece (but not a lot of expansion options there…), Transvaal or one of the central American countries (keep the dream of the USCA alive). But I also saw there is a weird little island colony in Tasmania and I’m wondering if there is anything noteworthy you can do with them?

Idea would be to try and be a small, import and export based economy.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Lanfang is the big pick for small nations, it's a tiny democracy in Brunei that's in China's sphere. Brunei has a lot of potential to become a big player while still having lots of resources. They're a lot of fun. Otherwise...Peru-Bolivia is pretty self contained resource wise, but might be a bit too big. Joseon, Dai Nam, Siam, an Ethiopian nation. If you include releasables, there's New Africa or Bulgaria/Serbia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've had fun playing as Greece and using Austria and Russia as bludgeons to help me take land back from the Ottomans. Have not tried it on the most recent patch, though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Deltasquid posted:

Any interesting small or weird nations to play? I’m thinking Belgium (but that’s obvious), Greece (but not a lot of expansion options there…), Transvaal or one of the central American countries (keep the dream of the USCA alive). But I also saw there is a weird little island colony in Tasmania and I’m wondering if there is anything noteworthy you can do with them?

Idea would be to try and be a small, import and export based economy.

Wallachia is pretty fun, you're a single state jammed between 3 major powers but you do have some minor expansion opportunities (Moldavia / Serbia and beating up the Ottomans) and your one state is fairly decent. I played them a bunch in 1.2 but I'm holding out for 1.4 hopefully making wars more fun because you do have to go pretty hard on the Ottomans since Russia and Austria are too strong to fight

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Is the performance patch out yet, btw?

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm enjoying the changes to the private construction queue in 1.3. The art academies every now and again are annoying, but the ai is reasonable about building infrastructure and it appears to be managing some of the market stuff I would ordinarily ignore like making wheat farms when grain is high or tea plantations or furniture so I can instead focus on building the stuff that does the heavy economic lifting like tools, coal, and steel. I was expecting the ai to be a lot worse at this so that's a pleasant surprise.

However, I am not enjoying having mass popular movements that causes my radicalism to spiral out of control because I won't disband the armed forces or some other dumb poo poo. On other other hand, this is probably realistic.

edit: also late game unemployment is really bad right now. Maybe we need slower population growth or something. In the mid-game I was hunting for pops and my economy almost stalled due to a lack of labor and then I passed the bare minimum health care and twenty years later I can't create jobs fast enough for endless growth.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
New minor patch.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-patch-1-3-2-is-now-live-checksum-4a4c-not-for-problem-reports.1587760/

The people in the thread are all waiting for performance fixes so it's probably still not the best time to get into 1.3.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah I rolled my game back and I am not gonna buy this expansion unless they fix performance big time.
I know 2016 was a long time ago but I don‘t understand how these map games run so poo poo on that hardware. Not like Intel had big improvements in the last 10 years.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Not like Intel had big improvements in the last 10 years.

What? In 2021 Intel launched Alder Lake, which is the biggest seismic shift in their CPU architectures since the launch of their first dual-core CPUs in 2006.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ithle01 posted:

I'm enjoying the changes to the private construction queue in 1.3. The art academies every now and again are annoying, but the ai is reasonable about building infrastructure and it appears to be managing some of the market stuff I would ordinarily ignore like making wheat farms when grain is high or tea plantations or furniture so I can instead focus on building the stuff that does the heavy economic lifting like tools, coal, and steel. I was expecting the ai to be a lot worse at this so that's a pleasant surprise.
I still cant stand it. I started a game as France and despite queueing up some Tools factories, the AI investors decided to start on three new ones, each in three separate regions, so I said "gently caress that, never again".

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
On one hand investors are basically just "free" upgrades, on the other they build dumb poo poo that has little to do with actual market supply and demand.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I still cant stand it. I started a game as France and despite queueing up some Tools factories, the AI investors decided to start on three new ones, each in three separate regions, so I said "gently caress that, never again".

If the AI is building tooling factories in the early game that's basically the best thing you can hope for so I have no idea why you're upset about that. I wish they consolidated the tooling factories in one region, but that's a separate issue with throughput bonuses.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

On one hand investors are basically just "free" upgrades, on the other they build dumb poo poo that has little to do with actual market supply and demand.
That has not been my experience. I've never really seen them build an unprofitable building. At least not more than one. They don't optimize things, but they don't just disregard the market.

Your screenshot with a billion art academies is the worst I've ever seen. Something went unusually wrong there.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

I find you sometimes get the art academy spam right after romanticism is discovered and there becomes a demand for art. If you have a sizeable population, a few art academies aren't going to really touch the demand that much. Sometimes the AI used to get caught up on it, like when they built 35 art academies in one of my lesser populated Russian states that didn't have the qualifications to staff it. It feels like they've got this happening a lot less often than it used to at least.

Where you can sometimes be hurt is on goods where there's not tons of demand for it just yet. Like when sulfur starts to come online, one additional mine might crash the prices because you can't support a second yet, but the AI sees the price is +49% and goes forward because it technically is profitable.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ithle01 posted:

If the AI is building tooling factories in the early game that's basically the best thing you can hope for so I have no idea why you're upset about that. I wish they consolidated the tooling factories in one region, but that's a separate issue with throughput bonuses.
Thats my point though. I'd rather just queue them up myself and not have to worry about updating production methods in a dozen places or the AI putting a building in a place where there are not people/qualifications to work it or whatever.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Thats my point though. I'd rather just queue them up myself and not have to worry about updating production methods in a dozen places or the AI putting a building in a place where there are not people/qualifications to work it or whatever.

I guess? Setting production methods in the building tab solves that issue, but I can understand the complaint about the AI not respecting needing pops for staffing. I haven't really noticed that being an issue at the moment though, the AI didn't really build stuff in places without people for me so far and looks like it favors areas with more people. Fortunately, it looks the issues with having understaffed buildings have been fixed since launch so I haven't really noticed it impacting my country.

Now, if you want to talk about a pain in the rear end AI, in my current Lanfang run which I'm imminently abandoning Qing has spent 20 years in game with iron at +75% price because it has completely refused to build a single loving iron mine and I can't jumpstart my economy with the 0 coal either.

edit: literally 0 iron or coal mines in 20 years. It's absolutely dumb as hell.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mean fair, but the entire point of the mechanic is to 'nerf' the player in some ways.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I actually really really appreciate it when playing as a rather cash-strapped minor. Something. Anything to increase my industry and raise my pops! I can't afford building so many factories on my own! :negative:

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Unpopular opinion, but I actually like the automatic construction for the sole reason that I'm not spending literally a third of the play time building railroads and ports. There's a cap on throughput bonuses anyways, so I don't mind having 7-10 provinces with 35-50 Tooling workshops as opposed to one with 300 (obviously this doesn't apply to Electricity, where one of NY or Croatia is turned into a giant, Matrix-esque battery)

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

It's so hard to not day1 for NY as UK because of that battery lust. This also retroactively explains why Napoleon felt it necessary to direct annex croatia

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I almost always go for Laissez Faire because I'm lazy and I like to watch my country develop itself. It's not optimal but you don't need to be optimal most of the time. I rarely have major disagreements with the capitalist AI, and I don't mind the minor ones because they feel immersive. If the AI just put more priority on economies of scale and state bonuses it would be pretty much perfect imo

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Magissima posted:

I almost always go for Laissez Faire because I'm lazy and I like to watch my country develop itself. It's not optimal but you don't need to be optimal most of the time. I rarely have major disagreements with the capitalist AI, and I don't mind the minor ones because they feel immersive. If the AI just put more priority on economies of scale and state bonuses it would be pretty much perfect imo

Using LF is the best way to extract value from your capitalists before you get graduated taxation, so it is optimal really. Having a perfectly constructed, smaller economy is worse than a less optimally built larger one.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Asproigerosis posted:

Purge the heretical landlord filth, got it.
I'm trying to un-serf Serbia and I swear to loving God we need a 'guillotine all' button

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm trying to un-serf Serbia and I swear to loving God we need a 'guillotine all' button

We just had the France DLC even!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Technically that form of execution was to slow so really you need a sink them in boats option

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Playing as Transvaal, is there any reason to join the Dutch customs union instead of the British? I guess easier immigration until you pass laws to stop discriminating the Anglos?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I’m enjoying the current version but these crashes every 18 months are just too much. Only thing I have is Anbeeld’s.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Deltasquid posted:

Playing as Transvaal, is there any reason to join the Dutch customs union instead of the British? I guess easier immigration until you pass laws to stop discriminating the Anglos?

the vibes

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Does the market content effect the attractiveness of getting people to join your customs union? As in, do they care if you have big beautiful bounties of surplus and low market prices? Or is it mostly just diplomacy/gdp?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FPyat posted:

I’m enjoying the current version but these crashes every 18 months are just too much. Only thing I have is Anbeeld’s.
I've only played two games on the current version and had zero crashes so its either the mod or your system

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
In my current Finland game I've been screwing around a bit, just trying to eke out a place in Russia's market - after they got Qing in their custom's union it's been hard to industrialize because coal is perpetually in shortage, but I have had one fun surprise. I was thinking of inviting an agitator to start State Atheism when - inexplicably - the Tsar of all people decided to make Russia full atheist instead. I might follow, but I can't really see much upside to it at this stage. Has anyone exploring with state atheism had anything good happen with it? I don't want to screw my migration inputs by discriminating against everyone else, but now that Russia has gone atheist I might switch anyway because I can absorb their atheist pops.

Ithle01 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 5, 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

State atheism gives you authority equal to state religion law without the downside of the religious interest group threatening civil war over going communist or doing things like giving other people and women rights.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I feel like by the time I've got total separation and a decent industrial base built up the clergy have been so neutered that they're irrelevant. I like the authority gain, but I'd probably end up just dumping it into promoting national values so my population isn't discriminated against because at the end of the day I'm not really trading up.

Oh well, guess I'll just let people worship whatever dumb sky daddy they want rather than kill God. Feels like a missed opportunity though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The devout are probably the second-easiest IG to sideline after the petit bourgeois, I think they both have a thing where their jobs don't really scale up well like the landowners, industrialists, and trade unions do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Going off state religion lets you remove priests from universities and city centers, once you do that the devout never recover.