Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mr. Fix It posted:

okay, caveat: churchill would have absolutely nuked germany

Not in any way related to the conversation.

But I would like to join the population f Bengal in saying a hearty gently caress you to Winston Churchill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Coolguye posted:

if there really was some kind of special racism for asian people in US planning it would have been quite a lot simpler to just set up a blockade and let the population of japan start literally eating itself. the plan was discarded because such a tactic would make reconstruction impossible. american leaders were determined not to repeat the mistakes of WW1 and were dead set on there being a real reconstruction period. starving out millions of civilians would have scuttled that effort before it started.

...probably also because Russia and China were right over there, and a US-determined reconstruction would be a much better investment for the US then letting either of those countries do it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Atopian posted:

...probably also because Russia and China were right over there, and a US-determined reconstruction would be a much better investment for the US then letting either of those countries do it.

I don't think anyone thought China was in any position to reconstruct anyone or anything in 1945. The Soviet Union's "reconstruction" of their part of Eastern and Central Europe consisted mostly of forcible transfer of resources, industry and capital from the conquered/liberated countries back to the Soviet Union.

Sidenote, people often trace Cold War relations and logic a bit further back into WWII than there really is historical basis for.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah china required its own reconstruction, and even in the case where they did have resources and political clout to have a say in that particular conversation i think it unlikely that china would have reconstructed poo poo considering that the chinese population was the target of an utterly staggering number of brutal war crimes under japanese occupation circa ww2.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think most people realize that it is not until the Czech putsch that relations between the US and USSR go from uneasey cooperation to outright undeclared cold war.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I wish I was around back then so I could pick up the vibe and feel out how things relate to current things.

My great grandpa was and he does that (sorta, you hear him talk and it's real confusing like he kept calling ISIS Issac for a while like it was just one guy loving things up everywhere he went and I think that might have been what he actually though) but, he's almost 100 and I don't wanna be that old either.

Life is just a series of compromises I guess.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

thank you.

I have no idea how you think this is some sort of 'gotcha'. There was no targets in Germany to nuke that wouldn't be nuking the US or the USSR too at that time. Hitler killed himself on April 30th because Berlin was days away from being taken. The US had no belief that Germany was going to still be fighting by the time the atom bomb was complete. The fact that Germany fell on May 8th was not something that would have shocked the military planners on April 28th, as Berlin had already been invaded for the past two weeks.So there was literally no reason to put any German city on the list.

Yes, the US is racist as hell, but us hitting only Japan with the atom bombs wasn't due to racism, it was due to there literally being no one else to use them on.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 30, 2023

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

:dafuq: is there a gas leak in this thread?

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
they're all just getting it out before june, we all know nothing happens in june

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
this is like those weird chinese youtube vids my dad watches, all about ww2 and other random military poo poo but with some thinly veiled beijing talking point

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Me and my big mouth.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the "is Asia going to be a glorified atomic testing range forever" talking point is an old one:

quote:

The people of Asia shall never forget that the first atomic bomb exploded on Asian soil and that the first man to die from the experimental explosion of the hydrogen bomb was an Asian.

(Zhou Enlai speaking at the Bandung conference in 1955 - the latter refers to the 1954 Castle Bravo tests at Bikini atoll that killed a Japanese fisherman. After the Sino-Soviet split however, the Soviets cut off secret nuclear weapons support to China and China then abandoned its support for atomic disarmament.)

This was well before the East Asian economic miracles would be self-evident - when a casual assessment of the facts on the ground suggested that postcolonial subsaharan Africa was bound for riches, inheriting the orderly structures of government and vast natural wealth with the boot of colonial extraction lifted, whilst East and Southeast Asia, shattered by war and overpopulation, was bound for disaster

By 1964 China would have its own bomb and the "nuclear imperialism" talk moves to Africa, where France is busy setting off its own tests in post-independence Algeria. By the 1970s Indo-Pak join the club and the frame shifts firmly toward non-proliferation. To raise nuclear justice again is to instead imply more proliferation rather than less.

This was not a popular Soviet talking point throughout, and it is not until the 1990s when it enjoys something of a renaissance in the West, I think. To illustrate its emergence into popular culture, The English Patient (1992 Booker prize/1996 romcom) casually brings it up without fuss. But it is easy to indulge in explorations of guilt from a position of confident global supremacy

ronya fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 30, 2023

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Ghostlight, more like gaslight, am I right

Dick Fontaine posted:

:dafuq: is there a gas leak in this thread?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When I saw the thread had over a hundred posts in it overnight I thought either Haier had returned, Xi had died or some apologist had crawled out of the bad thread.

Relitigating the US bombing of Japan wasn't even in the top 100 things I thought it might be.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Protesters clash with police in China over partial demolition of mosque

Unrest breaks out in Muslim town of Nagu in Yunnan as people object to removal of dome and minarets

the Gruaniad, so take it as you will posted:

Hundreds of police have clashed with protesters in a Muslim town in south-west China amid anger at plans to partially dismantle a 14th-century mosque.

The unrest broke out on Saturday, seemingly in response to attempts by the authorities to dismantle parts of Najiaying mosque in Nagu, a town in Yunnan province.

In 2020, a court ruled that recent additions to the mosque, including a domed roof and minarets, were illegal and should be removed. But when the deconstruction work started over the weekend, local people in Nagu, which is populated by the Hui ethnic group, a predominantly Muslim minority, objected, temporarily halting the works.

Videos posted on western social media showed police with riot shields and protective gear clashing with hundreds of protesters outside the mosque. Some of the protesters were throwing chairs and stones. Several people were reportedly arrested.

Another video posted on Twitter showed a man in handcuffs with bruising on his chest, while a woman could be heard complaining about his treatment.

On Sunday, local police issued a statement acknowledging the unrest and giving protesters until 6 June to turn themselves in.

Discussion of the incident on Chinese social media was swiftly censored. Searches on Weibo, a Twitter-like service, for “Najiaying mosque” returned few results, with only pro-government comments left online. Using the hashtag #Najiaying, one Weibo user wrote: “I don’t want to say too much, I just want to say: I strongly support the national policy, and I hope that the state will not spare any wolfish extremists who intend to impact the law.”

The Hui people are China’s third biggest ethnic minority. Unlike China’s other main Muslim ethnic group, the Uyghurs, Hui people speak Mandarin and are seen as being more assimilated with the Han majority.

But Hui communities have still been targeted by the Chinese government. In 2015, Xi Jinping, China’s president, said the growing number of religious believers in the country should be treated with caution.

China’s constitution guarantees religious freedom but in recent years the government has tightened its grip on religious expression, particularly among Muslims. In 2018, hundreds of Hui Muslims in Ningxia, a Hui region in central China, staged a sit-in at a mosque to prevent its demolition. The mosque survived but authorities still removed many of the domed minarets.

Additional reporting by Chi Hui Lin

I guess the Hui may be the next lot to get jobs picking cotton.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
last time my hui buddy and her husband stayed in mainland, a bit after 2016, the guoanbu paid her a visit at 3am (and did nothing else and let her go by 8 - but still) so they knew it was coming

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 30, 2023

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1663455378334703627?t=NmGM-QzygS6Y5nG8szAhVw&s=19

this is dumb tankie poo poo right. I don't know anything about Chinese television, but this feels like some really blatant 'see were not genociding the Uyghurs' garbage

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's Carl Zha so yes. He's an enormous piece of poo poo.

Also having the minorities dance and sing for you is the most stereotypical thing China does to show hey look, we accept these people. As long as they stay in their little box with weird costumes and perform for our amusement.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'm not sure that a song sung mostly in Mandarin is really the best way to demonstrate the flourishing of Mongolian culture.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

for a minute there i confused carl with serpentza and i was wondering what the hell happened to turn everyone's weirdest south african into a tankie

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
https://twitter.com/LiYuan6/status/1663688757235548162?t=TneDYgyM1CWOvRN7gWheGg&s=19

Xi trying to speed run the Cultural Revolution.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They should consider directing some of that bitterness upwards.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
At least they're eating something, last folks in the perpetual revolution weren't that lucky.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I know that Xi actually did have a rough childhood due to his dad falling out of favor with the party, but the idea of the mass of idiot princelings in the CCP who were groomed from birth to take plush positions in the party talking down to struggling younger generations is just stupid.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Coolguye posted:

could you state what your goal was then because i've reread your posts a couple times now and i'm just increasingly confused as to what you're hoping to accomplish
to distract myself while i waited for work to finish.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
wow maybe this year's june fourth is going to be memorable this once

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Why? I can't think of anything that happened on June 4th.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Deki posted:

I know that Xi actually did have a rough childhood due to his dad falling out of favor with the party, but the idea of the mass of idiot princelings in the CCP who were groomed from birth to take plush positions in the party talking down to struggling younger generations is just stupid.

Honestly, this is all reminiscent of 2008. College graduates told that they should have learned a trade or sneering that they think they're too good to work fast food. I know a few folks in China who went abroad and did dancing English monkey poo poo during the last recession.

Again, its another case where the US and China are mirror images of each other. Only this time, China doesn't seem to have the reverence to farm life and the trades that the US does

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the obsession of the Xi admin with fiscal austerity (and the conviction that the 2008-2010 fiscal stimulus had been a mistake) is an underserved story, I think

yes it's part of the use of debt discipline to centralise and rationalize power but it also has the effects of austerity that Western discourse is presumably familiar with

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

It's Carl Zha so yes. He's an enormous piece of poo poo.

Also having the minorities dance and sing for you is the most stereotypical thing China does to show hey look, we accept these people. As long as they stay in their little box with weird costumes and perform for our amusement.

They're literally doing the "under communism, all minorities dance" bit lol

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

"Eat bitternes"

Yes, this will end well. Pooh Bear's going for the modern "let them eat cake" speedrun.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Broke: A succulent Chinese meal, followed by penis-touching
Woke: Bitterness, followed by starvation

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you know i was the one saying poo poo was going to get real goddamn bad in china but even i was looking skeptically at that article, figuring it was still too soon for xi to be really repeating the worst of the planned economy mistakes.

fuckin' nope, apparently he literally quotes how he got sent to the farms during mao's run of this and uses the 'eat bitterness' expression five times in his most recent address. the youth unemployment problem is also worse than it was last time i was paying attention. it was about 12% when i was looking about two years ago, now according to this it's up to 20%, and xi's response is to literally tell local officials to start orchestrating moves of young, college educated men out to the farms.

this isn't just a speedrun, it's showing off new speedtech. gdq would be proud.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xi apparently wants to be Literally Mao, including doing covers of all his greatest hits

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He's just trying to recreate the conditions that produced him so he can finally have a worthy successor.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sparrows better watch out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pangzai is a farmer :colbert:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pangzai is a farmer :colbert:

I saw a headline a week ago about some Chinese streamer dying from alcohol poisoning and was so scared for a second. Thankfully it wasn't the king.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

I saw a headline a week ago about some Chinese streamer dying from alcohol poisoning and was so scared for a second. Thankfully it wasn't the king.

Yeah I posted that up thread for exactly the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lmao if you think pangzai could get alcohol poisoning

the king probably doesn't even get a hangover, no matter how many formaldehyde-laced bottles of snow he chugs