Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
... double dragon!

https://i.imgur.com/KG95Zgv.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/iKLbJUr.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/fpWe1F4.mp4

Like the IG comments said: the man got angry twice within a single sentence:

https://i.imgur.com/Hg9rwml.mp4

edit: two more:

https://i.imgur.com/yK5f75T.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QodKTyb.mp4

Trabant has a new favorite as of 22:27 on May 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/AlanTudyk/status/1663171550156029954?s=20

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

I wish more movies had a commentary track with the actors just roasting it

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I wish more movies had a commentary track, at all. Special Features are the biggest thing I miss about physical media.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

best commentary tracks i've listened to:
McTiernan's commentary on Predator
John Carpenter and Kurt Russell on Big Trouble in Little China

second one isn't actually good, per se, it's mostly just Carpenter and Russell catching up, swapping stories/gossip about mutual friends. they obviously barely watch the movie.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mr. Fix It posted:

second one isn't actually good, per se, it's mostly just Carpenter and Russell catching up, swapping stories/gossip about mutual friends. they obviously barely watch the movie.

100% agree on both comments. BTLC is a favorite movie, av/post combination etc. But the commentary was a disappointment because it was like "oh hey how's your kid, oh good he's playing hockey etc" and all I wanted was to hear more about the making of the film.

John McTiernan commentaries are like film school classes. If you liked Predator, I highly recommend listening to his Die Hard commentary. He talks a lot about things like tone and geography, really interesting stuff.

For laughs, my favorite is the Conan The Barbarian commentary track. John Milius just keeps getting drunker and drunker as the film goes on, while Arnold spouts ground breaking insights like "Ja, this is the part where we are running!" (talking about the short montage after freeing Subotai)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've heard Robert Pattinsons commentary on the Twilight movies is great. It's just his naked contempt for the trilogy for hours.

For real though, all of the LOTR ones are good. Especially the four Hobbits talking through the first one. It's obvious they are all buddies.

I'm pretty bummed the advent of streaming has killed the Special Edition DVD with that kind of stuff.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mr. Fix It posted:

There's quite a few good commentary tracks where the people in them are obviously just enjoying catching up and the movie itself is pretty much ignored.

It's weird that streaming seems to of killed the commentary tracks thing, when like their so desperate for content you'd think, oh lets pay a few of the people in the thing were making for a few hours of their time, and like one or two other people to record and upload it would be a no brainier.

Like compared to how much content normally costs to make it's pretty much free. But yeah, stupid decisions streaming companies make is a pretty long list.

Oh and my favorite commentary track would probably be for El Mariachi. It's basically just Rodriguez giving a class on how to make a super cheap action film. Just a whole bunch of very straight forward, well explained practical advice.

Funniest is when they record a bunch of people obviously in the same room who are just joking around and having a bit of fun and barely talking about the movie, than they badly splice in another person who was obviously recorded separately and is taking it super seriously.
"hahah so I remember when you phoned me up from that random gas station and were like do you know where gently caress I'm driving to? and I'm like you were getting us pizza man that was three hours ago, where the gently caress are you? and you were just like I think I saw some tumble weed blow past so um maybe Texas??"
[noticeable pause]
"so I spent three hours a day with a language coach. As my character was from a boarder town we discussed how much of an accent I should have from western region of the country and how much it should be influenced by..."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
e: nm maybe it's a huffpost thing

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dillbag posted:

For laughs, my favorite is the Conan The Barbarian commentary track. John Milius just keeps getting drunker and drunker as the film goes on, while Arnold spouts ground breaking insights like "Ja, this is the part where we are running!" (talking about the short montage after freeing Subotai)

The Conan one is also great for Milius explaining things for the audience's benefit like "we filmed this in a small village just outside Madrid" and Arnold indignantly saying "I know!". Happens a lot.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Another fun "movie commentary" fact is that on the Deep Blue Sea commentary, Samuel L Jackson is there at the start, but as soon as his character dies he goes "OK, that was fun. I'm leaving now." and just fucks off home and is never heard from again.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Glottis posted:

I wish more movies had a commentary track with the actors just roasting it

Star Trek: Insurrection's commentary with Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis is pretty good for this.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think First Contact also has a bunch of Frakes roasting stuff.

Insurrection commentary is great though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Dillbag posted:

John McTiernan commentaries are like film school classes. If you liked Predator, I highly recommend listening to his Die Hard commentary. He talks a lot about things like tone and geography, really interesting stuff.

The Die Hard DVDs had a cool featurette about Widescreen vs. Pan and Scan, and also an editing thing where you could edit a scene from a handful of clips.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
My favourite was the Brass Eye director's commentary, which was done entirely by a group of homeless people who'd never seen the show or had anything about it explained to them.

https://youtu.be/K6eCk8Kmr7U

Whybird has a new favorite as of 08:09 on May 30, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BrigadierSensible posted:

Another fun "movie commentary" fact is that on the Deep Blue Sea commentary, Samuel L Jackson is there at the start, but as soon as his character dies he goes "OK, that was fun. I'm leaving now." and just fucks off home and is never heard from again.

Lol that owns

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Audio

https://i.imgur.com/iZU7czG.mp4

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rydiafan posted:

I wish more movies had a commentary track, at all. Special Features are the biggest thing I miss about physical media.

Same. I still enjoy physical media a lot for a variety of reasons.

My favorite commentary track though has got to be This is Spinal Tap because the band do it in character and act like they're reviewing the film. [spolier]They didn't like it because they thought it made the band look stupid[/spoiler]

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mr. Fix It posted:

Kurt Russell is very funny in every commentary I've listened to him do - admittedly, that's only two - BTiLC, and The Thing, so he's been chatting with John Carpenter both times, and it's clear they are very old friends. He's especially funny every time The Hat comes onscreen in The Thing.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Seconding Star Trek: Insurrection as a classic commentary track. Without it, the movie is unwatchable. With it, it's up there with Wrath of Khan and Galaxy Quest as an all-time great Trek movie.

If you're looking for a S-tier hate watch: one time I got stuck on the commentary track to Love, Actually. My wife had fallen asleep on me (literally) halfway through the film, and the remote was out of reach. She was really tired so I decided to just let it run for a bit. The director was in the middle of making fun of Colin Firth for trying to act when I finally got up to shut it off 20 minutes in. The writer/director sounded like a profoundly mean-spirited, shallow idiot. Everything he said smacked of cynicism and bullying, someone who fundamentally does not understand or care about love in any sense. I already hated the movie before that but oh boy did that commentary track unlock a new level of contempt in me for that movie.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
The commentary to the movie version of A Series of Unfortunate Events has the conceit of the author (Lemony Snicket / Daniel Handler) being held captive and recording the track against his will. At some point he breaks out the accordion and sings a song about how dreadful the scene he's watching right now is.

Then there's Galaxy Quest, which has an entire track in the alien language - just screeching, but perfectly synched up to people opening and closing their mouths.

For educational value, you can't beat the early Robert Rodriguez DVDs, especially El Mariachi. It's a veritable film school.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dave Syndrome posted:

Then there's Galaxy Quest, which has an entire track in the alien language - just screeching, but perfectly synched up to people opening and closing their mouths.

And the "Omega 13" menu option, which scrolls back the menu animation by 13 seconds.

When I saw that the rest of us just sat there dumbfounded and after a second all I could do was go "a-la-la-la-la-la" with that sideways clap.

All time great DVD design

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

"Why do we need a machine-gun mounted on the space drill-tank?"
"Shut up!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've never even seen a flying squirrel in real life and this one decides it wants to come play inside? Some people have all the luck :sigh:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Spinal Tap has an in-character commentary track and it's basically a second version of the movie.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I like commentaries because I can pretend I have friends

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Sentient Data posted:

I like commentaries because I can pretend I have friends

This is why podcasts exist.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Did is working very hard to figure out what he did to make her scream

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ll throw out a recommendation for the commentary track on The Cave (2005), they have the writers on but apparently the script changed radically between their writing of it and what was actually made, and they loving hate the final product

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anchorman has an entire second movie on the disc they put together with footage left out of the main movie.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dave Syndrome posted:

Holy poo poo lol

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anchorman has an entire second movie on the disc they put together with footage left out of the main movie.

Sort of related but the soundtrack has Ron Burgundy, sitting in his 700sq ft bathroom, introduce every song with little side stories. So many fond memories of discovering that accidentally :3:

Haptical Sales Slut has a new favorite as of 17:50 on May 30, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

Spinal Tap has an in-character commentary track and it's basically a second version of the movie.

BiggerBoat posted:

My favorite commentary track though has got to be This is Spinal Tap because the band do it in character and act like they're reviewing the film. They didn't like it because they thought it made the band look stupid

Reno 911: Miami has four commentary tracks. Half the cast, the other half of the cast, that first half again in-character, and the second half in-character. All four tracks own bones, as does the movie itself.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Tropic Thunder has a hilarious commentary track, as well.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cannibal: the Musical is a fun commentary track because it starts out with Trey Parker and his friends actually talking about the movie and why some choices were made but everyone is getting more and more drunk as the movie progresses.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Cannibal: the Musical is a fun commentary track because it starts out with Trey Parker and his friends actually talking about the movie and why some choices were made but everyone is getting more and more drunk as the movie progresses.

For the Orgazmo commentary they're completely gone by the time they're doing the stuff for the outtakes. Just laughing their assess off asking why any of it was cut.

UHF has Weird Al stand up from the bottom of the screen and start yelling at Stanley about the window in the office before the goons smash through it.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Workin' on our night poops
Tryin' to lose those awkward teenage dooks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf: