Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pandy fackler posted:

Thank you for the recommendation! Here is the knife:

The handle is unfinished wood, I'm thinking it would make sense to lightly sand and treat with mineral oil? The shop's name is Shigeharu and dates back to the Kamakura period, they don't sell or advertise online. Needless to say this is now the most prized item in my kitchen.

That type of knife is actually sharpened differently to Western or German knives, with a very steep angle on one side and essentially no cutting edge on the other. Worth looking up and doing some research, it will be a little more challenging to sharpen yourself. Looks great though! I'm sure you can use some food-safe oil on it, I'm actually not sure what's normally used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Are wire rack shelves of different brands compatible with each other? I have extra 4 foot wide shelves, and was wondering if I could save money by buying a 3 foot wide shelf and just using the posts with my 4 foot wide shelves

Even better: does anyone just sell posts

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Steve Yun posted:

Are wire rack shelves of different brands compatible with each other? I have extra 4 foot wide shelves, and was wondering if I could save money by buying a 3 foot wide shelf and just using the posts with my 4 foot wide shelves

Even better: does anyone just sell posts

There are some oddballs (I know one company makes square posts for some reason), but if you've got the round one that take the two-part sleeve collars to adjust the posts, then yes, they're pretty much all interchangeable.

This was a quick link to a company that sells just the posts. There are more. I can't vouch for this one specifically.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

That type of knife is actually sharpened differently to Western or German knives, with a very steep angle on one side and essentially no cutting edge on the other. Worth looking up and doing some research, it will be a little more challenging to sharpen yourself. Looks great though! I'm sure you can use some food-safe oil on it, I'm actually not sure what's normally used.

Hmm, I thought sujihikis were usually double bevel, as opposed to yanagiba.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thoht posted:

Hmm, I thought sujihikis were usually double bevel, as opposed to yanagiba.

I'm just looking at the bevel in the photos on the website that was linked. Could be wrong!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are single bevels but also a very uneven edge on a double. I didn't peep the photos but it should be pretty obvious

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wanted to check here before posting in SA-Mart:

I'm looking to offload my (barely used) KitchenAid KSM7586PCA 7-Quart Pro

If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM. I'll be posting it in SA-Mart later.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Internet Explorer posted:

If you put the bag on an angle on your counter it will generally suck the air out without the liquid, but it's not perfect and it takes a bit of practice.

When I'm freezing liquid, I put it in a container and freeze it, then take it out of the container and vacuum seal it. My mom got me these Souper Cubes thingies that are good for it, but I also just use deli containers and that works just fine.

I love having a vacuum sealer. It's great.

Ok I'm a believer.

We have super cubes too so I made a big batch of split pea soup with ham hock and kept it super thick so that it can be diluted after defrosting and thus save more freezer space. Then as you advised I froze them in souper cubes and then vacuum sealed. Pretty great, makes me wish I had a bigger freezer.

Also did a couple sous vide steaks, I don't have a circulation machine but I used a thermometer and they turned out great (didn't take pictures).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ6oJ8SuYBA

Chris Young reviews the Hexclad

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Costco has the Vitamix E520 on sale for $299, which seems like a lot for a blender, but a good price on a Vitamix considering the prices I'm seeing on the manufacturer's website.

I already own a Cuisinart food processor I'm happy with, so I don't need the Vitamix to be able to do courser mixes. I'm looking for smooth sauces, including stuff that has nuts in it, and smoothies, including relatively fibrous stuff like kale. Is there some reason y'all can think of that the E520 (link to Vitamix page) won't meet my needs?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks the same as mine but with a low profile jug - should be excellent except for very small quantities of dry chunks / thick liquids, where it'll fling around instead of creating a vortex. If you're doing <1 cup of peanuts / frozen fruit it might not work, 2 cups just fine. The tamper is your friend.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hi friends, what brands you recommend for gyuto knife?

The OP is almost a decade old and recommends Tojiro.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i still love the Tojiro DP

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Hi friends, what brands you recommend for gyuto knife?

The OP is almost a decade old and recommends Tojiro.

My Tojiro is about a decade old and one the best kitchen purchases I've ever made. Anyone who grabs it and uses it usually says "holy poo poo".

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

emdash posted:

:same:

a recent development is that they now make a bolsterless version that is cheap enough to be competitive with victorinox for an entry-level knife

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojirodpa1.html

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

emdash posted:

i think i bought mine after seeing it suggested in a thread like, nearly 20 years ago now lol

also shoutout to the tojiro dp petty, having like a half-scale version is really nice sometimes

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Any exceptional single electric wall oven or single + microwave? Budget $2-3,000 before install for single, up to $4k for combo. Looks like consumer reports rates highly Café and KitchenAid. Costco sells both of those + GE Profile which appears to be just a step down from Café. Doesn't need to be Costco but doesn't hurt.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

On a related note: did you know, if your oven is cheap Whirlpool garbage, you can't crack the oven to cool it faster after baking at 550°F? The hot air fries the control panel :haw:

In my wife's defense, we're both awfully sleep deprived.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

BrianBoitano posted:

Any exceptional single electric wall oven or single + microwave? Budget $2-3,000 before install for single, up to $4k for combo. Looks like consumer reports rates highly Café and KitchenAid. Costco sells both of those + GE Profile which appears to be just a step down from Café. Doesn't need to be Costco but doesn't hurt.

A buddy of mine had a new house built during COVID (started just before it started, I think completed in 2021?) - IIRC, GE was the king of ovens at the time. I believe Café is built/owned by GE, so unless things have changed in those two years, that or the Profile would be my pick. I can confirm if you'd like, he's the type to do a ton of research before buying anything.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah GE and Café have the advantage of really common repair service...

New contender - LG LWC3063ST has steam cooking, which would simplify our frequent bread baking, and is somehow one of the cheapest. Consumer Reports shows it as decent rating, but at the same time it shows our current piece of poo poo oven as about the same so...

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I’ve had nothing but trouble with LG products, although I’ve never used any of their kitchen appliances

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It’s hit or miss for me. Their OLED TVs are magnificent. On the other hand I also have one of their clothes dryers and it’s not very good at the whole, yknow, drying thing.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Our LG fridge has been fine so far for 3 or 4 years. I had two Samsungs that both poo poo the bed in 4 years or less.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

bird with big dick posted:

Our LG fridge has been fine so far for 3 or 4 years. I had two Samsungs that both poo poo the bed in 4 years or less.

My dad's neighbor is a refrigerator repairman. The way he tells it, there are two main problems with modern refrigerators, and it doesn't matter who makes them, because they're all using the same compressor and doing the same thing.

The first is that they are cheaping out on the refrigerant. Like they have calculated down to the last gram with zero headroom of how much refrigerant they can put in and get away with it for the majority of owners.
The second is that the compressor is a 240V unit rewired to work with 120V, and they don't like that very much.

I recently had him come by to fix up my refrigerator (about four years old at this point?), and after juicing the refrigerant up with no other fixes, it's been fine.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Checked it out at home depot:
LG looks the best, even against the Café in my opinion
Salesperson said all repair folks are annoying to find across the board, and GE changed ownership so it could get harder in the future

Going to look at reliability for LG ovens. We love our fridge from them, though that's only a year old.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

How much would I hate myself if I was to buy a portable outdoor wok burner (e.g., Big Kahuna burner) and then put a griddle pan on top as a cheap propane travel grill for car camping and giving veggies some grill marks?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Brother Tadger posted:

How much would I hate myself if I was to buy a portable outdoor wok burner (e.g., Big Kahuna burner) and then put a griddle pan on top as a cheap propane travel grill for car camping and giving veggies some grill marks?

Why not just a normal Coleman stove or a Weber Q series for an actual BBQ? If you don't need the BTU those wok burners put out I don't know if it's worthwhile.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

Why not just a normal Coleman stove or a Weber Q series for an actual BBQ? If you don't need the BTU those wok burners put out I don't know if it's worthwhile.

My use case is a little weird and I'm trying to cost-effectively address a few needs. Basically, I used to grill a good deal, but I stopped eating meat other than on rare occasions a few years ago, so my main need for a grill now is generally searing veggies. At the same time, I regularly go on dirtbag car camping trips with friends (e.g., go surfing/skiing for the weekend and sleep in or around our cars, arrive the night before at trailhead for a backpacking trip, etc.), where it would be nice to have a grill/griddle for hotdogs, veggies, etc. Also, propane is nice from a travel/time perspective, personally, and thought it might be nice to have the outdoor wok burner for stir-fries or other high-smoke activities when at home, so could kill two birds with one stone.

A buddy of mine who I camp with regularly has a coleman double-eye propane camp stove, which is nice in the wind, but it's quite cramped when trying to actually use and the heat does leave something to be desired for searing veggies.

I looked at the Q series, but it's ~$250, and then I have to worry about cleaning it out before putting it back in the car (which I might be sleeping in if the weather turns poor); cleaning/storing the cast iron would be much quicker/easier imo.

I looked at the Weber Go Anywhere Propane, but reviews are middling and, again, seems like it would be some work to clean out before being able to throw in the back of the car and head to next spot.

Haven't committed to anything; just trying to see if my cheapskate idea would be viable

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

I'm on the second replacement ice maker on ours. The ice tray cracks after some amount of time and you can't get that piece separately, definitely not considering LG whenever we end up replacing it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Recently I’ve noticed that my instant read thermometer (some cheap one I got off Amazon years ago) is giving me wildly different readings only minutes apart from each other. I think it’s time for a new one.

I looked on Amazon for a new one, but it seems to all be the same rebranded Chinese no name models that are probably going to have the same issue.

After a bit of research, the Thermapen sounds like the one to get. It’s 80 bucks which is a lot for a thermometer, but if it’s both A) as accurate and B) as long lasting as it claims to be, I don’t have a problem spending that.

My only hesitation is that I’d love to get one that has its own built-in probe AND a wired probe that can stay in the meat in the oven/smoker/BBQ.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

OldSenileGuy posted:

Recently I’ve noticed that my instant read thermometer (some cheap one I got off Amazon years ago) is giving me wildly different readings only minutes apart from each other. I think it’s time for a new one.

I looked on Amazon for a new one, but it seems to all be the same rebranded Chinese no name models that are probably going to have the same issue.

After a bit of research, the Thermapen sounds like the one to get. It’s 80 bucks which is a lot for a thermometer, but if it’s both A) as accurate and B) as long lasting as it claims to be, I don’t have a problem spending that.

My only hesitation is that I’d love to get one that has its own built-in probe AND a wired probe that can stay in the meat in the oven/smoker/BBQ.

If you don't need the flip style or the incredible speed, I highly recommend the Thermopop. There is a Thermopop 2 but I haven't tried it and I can only assume the quality is similarly good.

https://www.thermoworks.com/thermopop/

It is slower and is slightly less accurate than the pen, but it will likely be as fast and accurate as the knockoffs from Amazon.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is plastic wrap supposed to be a tremendous pain in the rear end with it folding in on itself, or is it because my roommate only buys Kroger brand garbage?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Buy the expensive stuff and it'll work much better, is my experience.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The Costco plastic wrap is not only good, its cutting mechanism is so great that I can't imagine ever going back to the standard "blade on the flap".

One of those "how did I ever get along without this" revelations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Cheesus posted:

The Costco plastic wrap is not only good, its cutting mechanism is so great that I can't imagine ever going back to the standard "blade on the flap".

One of those "how did I ever get along without this" revelations.

Plus it's tall enough that you can put what you are going to cover next to the box, pull out the wrap over it, then cut and seal. Any decent pro kitchen uses this set up for this reason.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

OldSenileGuy posted:

If you got the money people seem to be liking the new Chris Young thermometer for all applications where you can leave it in the meat (and you can just leave it in your steak in a pan as well).

https://combustion.inc/products/predictive-thermometer-and-display

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

That Old Ganon posted:

Is plastic wrap supposed to be a tremendous pain in the rear end with it folding in on itself, or is it because my roommate only buys Kroger brand garbage?

I just bought some Kroger brand to replace some Great Value that lasted me many years (I don't use much plastic wrap) and holy poo poo it's so, so bad. To the point where I'm seriously considering tossing the nearly full roll and buying something else because gently caress potentially dealing with this thing for the next 5 years or so.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember excitedly getting a big Costco roll of plastic wrap, then putting it on a wire shelf above my toaster oven. Never thinking, as I'm prone to do, "hey heat rises" and "hey this will gently caress up the roll post-haste"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The best plastic wrap is a cheap one, stretch-tite

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

The best plastic wrap is a cheap one, stretch-tite

This is also my personal favorite. The glad press-n-seal is also good for certain situations, but stretch-tite is my workhorse