Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Like if it was another Bray Wyatt Spooky Lights match where he lumbered around for 15 minutes then Uncle Howdy came out and threw some fireworks at the other guy then people would poo poo all over it for sure but if it was part of an Actually Good Match then that’s a different story entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crapple! posted:

Ok so if this happened in a WWE show we'd all be just as cool with it right?

Edit:just saying it seems like the kind of thing that would be poo poo on

Pyro spots are cool when they are done right

The kane shooting chyna with a fireball spot was cool

The hogan failing to flashpaper the warrior in wcw was not cool

The superkicksplosion was cool

The exploding ring was not cool

Hope this helps

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

rotinaj posted:

Pyro spots are cool when they are done right

The kane shooting chyna with a fireball spot was cool

The hogan failing to flashpaper the warrior in wcw was not cool

The superkicksplosion was cool

The exploding ring was not cool

Hope this helps

I don't understand at all. I just want to know why Matt had an explosive boot

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crapple! posted:

Because Claudio left him in the pickup truck

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Crapple! posted:

So he could blow up someone's face by kicking them with it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crapple! posted:

They have special gear made for the PPVs. Brandon's wife makes it.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Crapple! posted:

Matt does crazy shoe stuff in crazy matches

It was a crazy match and Matt was there

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Contextually if it happened as part of a sick match with build it'd be cool as hell no matter the company yeah. Anarchy In The Arena matches are basically multiman falls count anywhere matches where every member is trying to one up the other to cause as much damage to the opposing faction as possible. Therefore, if you find some pyro in the supply truck, by god you're gonna strap that bad boy to your foot and kick someone.

I still think about John Cena getting chokeslammed through a spotlight and exploding and that match wasn't even that good. I just love poo poo like that :allears:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crapple! posted:

What part of “he had a full meter” is difficult

Like y’all don’t even know about super moves

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crapple! posted:

Didn't watch the show but he had an explosive boot so it could explode in someone's face as superkicked them. It's like the the tag cage match with Lucha Bros, except instead of having a sneaker with tacks in the sole thrown into the ring for him to change into, he did it while he was backstage.

It sounds goofy to me but the intent seems really easy to understand.

Would it have been laughed at if it was Seth Freaking Rollins doing it? Yeah, probably

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Crapple! posted:

because it looks cool, op

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Didn't watch the show but he had an explosive boot so it could explode in someone's face as superkicked them. It's like the the tag cage match with Lucha Bros, except instead of having a sneaker with tacks in the sole thrown into the ring for him to change into, he did it while he was backstage.

It sounds goofy to me but the intent seems really easy to understand.

Would it have been laughed at if it was Seth Freaking Rollins doing it? Yeah, probably

Really Forkboy? Please watch the match and you'll see the difference

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Crapple! posted:

thumbtack shoe, very cool

explosive shoe, very cool

watched the match, very cool

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why does the other guy always bounce off the ropes and run straight back to get clobbered surely he could just stop running??!?!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Crapple! posted:

Jericho is a wizard and Jade lent Matt Buck her storm powers

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Explosive shoe was amazing for multiple reasons. It looked great and I'm still wondering just how they pulled it off. It fits the character of the Bucks. They loving love shoes and they love superkicks, what better way to deliver an explosion to someone's head? And it makes sense for a match like this. You know it's going to be violent. You know somebody like Mox can shrug off a ton of punishment (even in the match itself, he was shrugging off blows and saying 'gently caress off' as he was getting attacked) and you need a big weapon in case that happens.

Plus, as noted, it's a more powerful version of the thumbtack shoe. So shoe escalation being what it is, the next violent blood match with the Bucks will involve a shoe with power beyond comprehension.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

will involve a shoe with power beyond comprehension.

Shoe nuke

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Crapple! posted:

Sure, once I've gotten through the 40 shows on my backlog, & the stuff I haven't even got on the backlog but would kind of like to check out & the stuff that hasn't happened but will at some point before the backlog is cleared out, I'll get right on that.

I just don't get what you're struggling with. You asked why he had an explosive shoe & the answer seems obvious, both in kayfabe & in reality. He wanted to kick someone in the face with an exploding boot. And because explosions look cool. That's it! There's no need to overthink it. You don't have to like the spot, you can think it was silly & detracted from the match! But the intent, whether it landed or not? That's easy to understand without watching it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Crapple! posted:

Ok so if this happened in a WWE show we'd all be just as cool with it right?

Hard to say. They wouldn't have years of existing good storytelling to pull from, and they'd probably just do something dumb as poo poo in the Mountain Dew Day-Glo-Green Match, which we'd poo poo on. But if they did put on a really cool and fun match where someone did something cool? I think a lot of people would say it's cool.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

A Fancy Hat posted:

Explosive shoe was amazing for multiple reasons. It looked great and I'm still wondering just how they pulled it off. It fits the character of the Bucks. They loving love shoes and they love superkicks, what better way to deliver an explosion to someone's head? And it makes sense for a match like this. You know it's going to be violent. You know somebody like Mox can shrug off a ton of punishment (even in the match itself, he was shrugging off blows and saying 'gently caress off' as he was getting attacked) and you need a big weapon in case that happens.

Plus, as noted, it's a more powerful version of the thumbtack shoe. So shoe escalation being what it is, the next violent blood match with the Bucks will involve a shoe with power beyond comprehension.

Ok great! Then just tee it up a bit. Why did it happen? I'm not asking for much. Even if it's comedic I'm good. Just set it up a bit.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It also fit with the story of the match in a broader sense which was that the Elite have an upper hand in *wrestling* but they can't match the sheer brutality of the BCC in a straight up fight due to their inexperience, and Matt doing things like that, while it did pay off, was ultimately only good for one attack and useless after that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crapple! posted:

Ok great! Then just tee it up a bit. Why did it happen? I'm not asking for much. Even if it's comedic I'm good. Just set it up a bit.

seriously. It happened because Claudio left him in the back of the pickup truck.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Why doesn't Claudio, the biggest wrestler, simply eat the other seven?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Saucer Crab posted:

Why doesn't Claudio, the biggest wrestler, simply eat the other seven?

Reminder that Matt eats cheese puffs by mouthfuls and Claudio may want to stay lean so...

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Well, when it comes right down to it, they just didn't set it up enough for Crapple. That's okay. My, look at that sunrise. That's beautiful.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

I'm like "Why was there an explosion" and everyone is acting like this is a crazy thing to ask.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Crapple! posted:

I'm like "Why was there an explosion" and everyone is acting like this is a crazy thing to ask.

I think it's that people have given you several explanations but none of them seem good enough for you to just accept.

I'm more perplexed as to why there was barbed wire on the back of the poker chip. Some poor staff member had to set that up, they didn't think to alert someone about this??

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

People have given you a bunch of reasons and you’re ignoring them all so

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

his shoe just malfunctioned. its very rare, only happens in 1 out of a 10000000 super kicks

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Crapple! posted:

Twitter discourse has ruined our ability to discuss things, hell I know I'm guilty of it. You could say "I enjoy Kenny Omega" and you just know some dude is gonna come in with "Oh, so you hate Jon Moxley then? Typical."

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Why did we not get a series of four video packages where we saw Matthew Buck creating a shoe weapon, and then a promo where he says he's going to create an exploding shoe?

This is why people saw AEW doesn't have storylines. No build!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

yup

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Why are people settling grievances through combat? That's not grown up behaviour. Be the better person. Get a real job. You want to bleed? You should see a therapist.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

his shoe just malfunctioned. its very rare, only happens in 1 out of a 10000000 super kicks

Matt Jackson's Exploding Shoe is why we all have to take our shoes off at the airport

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Sometimes people see something and think "whoa, cool." Sometimes people want a little more. It takes all kinds to make a world.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think it's that people have given you several explanations but none of them seem good enough for you to just accept.

I'm more perplexed as to why there was barbed wire on the back of the poker chip. Some poor staff member had to set that up, they didn't think to alert someone about this??

Would you alert anyone and piss off the BCC? Just bd careful and keep your mouth shut

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Why did the shoe explode? He put a firework in it and it went boom when he kicked someone. Seems obvious

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Crapple! posted:

Because it is a crazy thing to ask. Why was there an explosion? Because it looked cool. That's it. That's the thought process. You don't have to agree, you don't have to think it worked. But that's it.

Matt gets left in the back, at some point he wakes up, changes his shoe for the gimmicked shoe that goes boom because "poo poo is getting serious now" & then walks out. You don't need to see the shoe change to know it happened. You just logically intuit it. Again, the execution of that may well have been rubbish, IDK. But the why? is straight forward, both from the kayfabe view & the IRL decision to do it. There's an element of call back to the previous tack shoe, but if you didn't see that match it's not a huge thing, you can still enjoy "lol shoe go boom".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crapple! posted:

Friend you are going to have to read the Anarchist's Cookbook to know the true answer.