Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Also Putin is a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
These Moscow drone strikes strike me as really weird. How certain is it that Ukraine was behind this? What was the range on the drones?

What were the targets, or is that not completely known either? Probably a lot of military targets in that area (just like there's everything else in that area, Moscow is big), but not sure what exact things were hit

Russian media isn't super trustworthy, to put it mildly, and apparently Ukraine is just completely quiet about all this which is understandable, so, ehh

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Chalk it up to something you'll probably never know until years after this war finishes

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1663309204625432576

lmao, love how tankies scream and shout that Ukraine banned the Russian language (they didn't, it's a load of bullshit) but it's cool and fine for Russia to openly say it

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1663478847126241280
The incident in Moscow has sent shockwaves through the Russian infosphere. Regardless of who did it, Girkin thinks that this can only go downhill from here, and the fact that Moscow was attacked at all is a blow to the thought of a 'distant war.'

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Tai posted:

Chalk it up to something you'll probably never know until years after this war finishes

Is it me or has there been a LOT of these lately?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

:laffo: I can't, why do they keep posting these fan fictions.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
jealous himars girlfriend

russian military boyfriend

patriot girl walking by

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Shoigu: "So the Russian army destroyed tens of thousands of pieces of material, and eventually Ukraine was conquered by, oh, let's say...Moe."

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Breaking: Putin on pace to break Kim Jong-Il’s historic golf score of -38 under par

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

gay picnic defence posted:

Until they accidentally fly one into an orphanage or something and turn an otherwise apathetic Russian population hard against them. Last thing they want to do is overstep and make the continuation of the war a popular cause in Russia.

They'd need different drones to do serious damage to a building.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1663531978052849664?s=20

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1663462345878691840
:qqsay: How dare they retaliate against us for trying to bomb them non stop, we must bomb them harder non stop
Also Soylovyov lad, if HATO actually decided to fight you for real, you'd know it first hand. Ukraine, with some help, is already handily beating your asses.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Shoigu also announced that Russia destroyed a NATO warlock training tower, two Deathstars, a secret invisible US carrier group, and that Putin does not wear a diaper and absolutely does not fill it with hot diarrhea on the regular.

Russia's trash propaganda is laughable even if it's only aimed at the locals. It's a waste of resources for them just to write them down.

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
NATO warlock training tower is a good account name if it would fit

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it is very fortunate for russia that they are not fighting US/NATO drones and instead are up against Ukrainian homebrew drone tech that is 6 months old

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

beer_war posted:

They'd need different drones to do serious damage to a building.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1663531978052849664?s=20

:hmmyes: top-tier NATO drones right there

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1663535272473030656
Why did POCCNR put him on a wanted list when he was supposed to be dead or in a coma last month? :lmao:

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

when do we get back into Russian wildfire season?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

jaete posted:

These Moscow drone strikes strike me as really weird. How certain is it that Ukraine was behind this? What was the range on the drones?

What were the targets, or is that not completely known either? Probably a lot of military targets in that area (just like there's everything else in that area, Moscow is big), but not sure what exact things were hit

Russian media isn't super trustworthy, to put it mildly, and apparently Ukraine is just completely quiet about all this which is understandable, so, ehh

The Guardian suggested that the drones have a decent range and about 6hr flight time, BUT are controllable at about 100km. However, they could theoretically have longer ranges if pre-programmed.

And Ukraine have made some response, in the "wasn't us, but we're not exactly unhappy about it" usual vein.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Molothecat posted:

when do we get back into Russian wildfire season?

I don't know how the weather system works in Russia but typically peak summer when the fuels have had time to grow then dry out, or whenever they have somewhat frequent lightening storms.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1663462345878691840
:qqsay: How dare they retaliate against us for trying to bomb them non stop, we must bomb them harder non stop
Also Soylovyov lad, if HATO actually decided to fight you for real, you'd know it first hand. Ukraine, with some help, is already handily beating your asses.

"We're struggling to beat a single small country next door, what we REALLY need is to get into a brawl with NATO!"

Genius.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

"We're struggling to beat a single small country next door, what we REALLY need is to get into a brawl with NATO!"

Genius.

We’ve lost over 2k of our modern tanks and are digging out museum pieces to press into service, let’s try and take on a military that hasn’t ground itself to dust over the last year!!!

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Russian government having a blast today. Some choice quotes off BBC

Russia's foreign ministry has said it reserves the right to take the "harshest possible measures" in response to a drone attack on its capital Moscow.

Putin said it was not Russia who started the war

Lavrov accused Western leaders of "directly supporting genocide" by backing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's peace plan, the Reuters news agency reported

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Tai posted:

lmao, love how tankies scream and shout that Ukraine banned the Russian language (they didn't, it's a load of bullshit) but it's cool and fine for Russia to openly say it
"These loving libs have misused the word 'genocide' so much that the word has lost all meaning. As if Russia's clearly-stated, noble mission of guiding these fake, Nazi-sympathizing 'Ukrainians' back to their true Russian identity is somehow a bad thing. The Ukrainian war against our puppet breakaway republics, on the other hand? And all the obviously spurious propaganda we've churned out about their war in Russian identity? That's inexcusable genocide that Russia should punish with its full might!"

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Tai posted:

Russian government having a blast today. Some choice quotes off BBC

Russia's foreign ministry has said it reserves the right to take the "harshest possible measures" in response to a drone attack on its capital Moscow.

Putin said it was not Russia who started the war

Lavrov accused Western leaders of "directly supporting genocide" by backing Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky's peace plan, the Reuters news agency reported

There is more than a passing resemblance between my ex wife and Russia's government...

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1663558902431248385?s=20

Talks about dirty bombs again, haven't heard that one in a while.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Tankies: “no war but class war!”

https://twitter.com/tendar/status/1663538213284356096?s=46&t=lbKxPpxJyMeDN0i-nFAg4A

Tankies: “war bad”

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1663489437249032194?s=20

What the hell is an Ukropolis? Also, nukes.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
tankies 'no war but some class war'

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A play on necropolis? I dunno, Ukropolis sounds pretty cool, a Ukrainian Metropolis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe he means Ukropia but in EU markets due to trademark issues

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't WW2 torpedoes have an annoying habit of doing this too?

Yes, the American Mark 14 torpedoes did. They were developed during the poor inter war period and barely tested. They had numerous issues, including, but not limited to...

- running deeper than they had been set to (ie. just sailing harmlessly under Japanese ships)
- exploding prematurely
- failing to explode at all on contact, leading to submariners listening to clonk sounds as the torpedoes they risked life and limb to fire hit their targets perfectly to absolutely no effect
- ran in a circular pattern, ie. just did a big old loop and then came back to strike the ship that fired it

These problems were discovered by American seamen very quickly, but the Navy intentionally suppressed the reports for ages because they didn't want to spend a ton of money replacing their torpedo arsenal, and didn't want to hurt morale by letting American sailors learn that their weapons were comically ineffective. Of course the sailors fully knew this, and had to resort to trying to rig up their own solutions to fix the torpedo's multiple problems, and it wasn't until 1943 that the problem was even acknowledged by the Navy.

Comparatively the Japanese Type 93 torpedo ("Long Lance") was incredibly good.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

lmao

About 10 minutes after you posted this a tankie in one of my discord servers was talking about how he admires putin for his views on equality and how he strives for it. Someone else pointed out that he is a billionaire and has a 100ish metre yacht all funded by the average person in russia. His response? That's just what happens when you run a country.

Buuuuuddddyyyy, mmmaaaate. I don't think you get what 'equality' is or 'left'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yes, the American Mark 14 torpedoes did. They were developed during the poor inter war period and barely tested. They had numerous issues, including, but not limited to...

- running deeper than they had been set to (ie. just sailing harmlessly under Japanese ships)
- exploding prematurely
- failing to explode at all on contact, leading to submariners listening to clonk sounds as the torpedoes they risked life and limb to fire hit their targets perfectly to absolutely no effect
- ran in a circular pattern, ie. just did a big old loop and then came back to strike the ship that fired it

These problems were discovered by American seamen very quickly, but the Navy intentionally suppressed the reports for ages because they didn't want to spend a ton of money replacing their torpedo arsenal, and didn't want to hurt morale by letting American sailors learn that their weapons were comically ineffective. Of course the sailors fully knew this, and had to resort to trying to rig up their own solutions to fix the torpedo's multiple problems, and it wasn't until 1943 that the problem was even acknowledged by the Navy.

Comparatively the Japanese Type 93 torpedo ("Long Lance") was incredibly good.

Yeah worth remembering Sub captains got so mad about it, a sub captain setup his own test to prove they were faulty. And the Navy Bureau of Ordinance commander didn't want to believe it because he was the one actively involved in developing the Mk 14.

After Admiral Lockwood did his own testing regimen and proved the problems and lit a fire under the Bureau of Ordinance, the Mk 14 got fixed and was reliable for the rest of the war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5Ru7Zu_1I

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 30, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tai posted:

lmao

About 10 minutes after you posted this a tankie in one of my discord servers was talking about how he admires putin for his views on equality and how he strives for it. Someone else pointed out that he is a billionaire and has a 100ish metre yacht all funded by the average person in russia. His response? That's just what happens when you run a country.

Buuuuuddddyyyy, mmmaaaate. I don't think you get what 'equality' is or 'left'

People with this belief system are just fascists with a different coat of paint. The authoritarianism is what attracts them to thugs like Pukin. They don't care and have never cared about the hypocrisy involved, and never will even after the defeat of Russia.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
Willo567's balls need a thread pinned like the famed pigballs thread

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

zone posted:

People with this belief system are just fascists with a different coat of paint. The authoritarianism is what attracts them to thugs like Pukin. They don't care and have never cared about the hypocrisy involved, and never will even after the defeat of Russia.

I do think a lot of people like this may have initially reasonably good intentions but drank too deeply from the well of propaganda to the point where they're defending the same old poo poo that they were originally rightfully mad at the West/US at.

But yes, a lot are just straight up fash who root for a different Jersey.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

A lot of people in the western leftist circles have a self-punishment / self-hate fetish in 2023. The George Galloway types. I think it's great that they're so willing to expose themselves online about Ukraine for everyone to see because it's clearly repulsive to people with a normal moral compass. I forget who said it but it was something like it's a way for white western men to co-opt a distorted version of civil rights movements and marginalize themselves mentally. i.e. "No, you can't be the one to blame, WE'RE the one to blame. Your country's crimes pale in comparison to ours", etc.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1663558902431248385?s=20

Talks about dirty bombs again, haven't heard that one in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1663478847126241280
The incident in Moscow has sent shockwaves through the Russian infosphere. Regardless of who did it, Girkin thinks that this can only go downhill from here, and the fact that Moscow was attacked at all is a blow to the thought of a 'distant war.'

from what I understand mk48s are terrifying. sometimes I listen to active sonar, I think I remember hearing that either what's now in use or being researched emits wide-band noise and a ton of DSP to interpret the result instead of these very discrete and identifiable chirps from an an-sqs/53: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcGD8tq-d-0
conceptually that sounds a bit dodgy (if you emit 3000Hz again, how can you make use of the echo), but :shrug:
I don't think I've ever found audio of soviet kit, but I'd love to hear it if it's out there.