Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah, though it's very different from the 1830 line of games, where another decent entry point, 1889, lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It's a very popular game, but the 18xx snobs don't like it. What a lot of those guys like is the stock aspect, which gives raise to a bunch of perverse incentives. A classic weird stock move is tanking your company because you can make your rival the president just before it explodes in their face. '46 doesn't have that, it goes to great lengths to make your incentives regular. You're actually expected to run your companies well. It's all about finagling the best route on a fairly tight board, and having enough trains to run that route. It's made complicated again by private company and map bonuses being unusually important, and by money trickling down every time you build anything.
The game has brought a lot of people into the train hobby, but I suspect it has also been the beginning and the end of many people's collections just because they're happy with the route building and don't want a hundred different games with weird stock shenanigans.
It is really popular, I'm sure if you go onto 18xx dot games your can play a game specifically for newbies to test out if you dig it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It can be right to dump a company in 46, but it's not too common a situation. I would say the bigger problem with 46 compared to other 18xx titles though is that you're often only running one company the entire game which loses a large amount of what makes them unique compared to typical boardgames.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Had a game day at a mates yesterday.

Taught Ra to 2 new people who instantly fell in love with it.
Looking like this will be a mainstay on game days for the time being.
Deluxe Editions massive bag of tiles is just the best

Illiterati also a lovely stress inducer.
Need to find a good wooden sand timer for it though, cause the included one is cheap plastic trash that gets stuck constantly.
Only thing that lets down an otherwise amazing production of modern co-op Scrabble

-------------------------------------

Mate had a copy of Marvel United he picked up on the cheap.

Played 2 rounds of it. Once against the Red Skull, and the 2nd against Taskmaster.
We lost both rounds with a group of experienced board gamers that weren't really making any obvious 'bad' decisions to beat scenarios; and were at least collectively working towards goals.

I don't like that completing an objective means the villain goes every 2 actions, down from 3, as that just speeds up the amount of bullshit that comes your way.
Being actively punished for doing well doesn't feel great, and even when we timed it correctly the 2nd round we weren't in any position to beat the villain.

I don't know why a cute little co-op battler has such a high co-op skill level.
Presentation is otherwise nice, even if the card-stock is pretty cheap (Check the bowing of the location cards)

Like I'd play it again, but I'd rather play Pandemic instead you know?

------------------------------------

Also played Mysterium for the first time.

Really don't have any notes on this other than it's a great game, and I'd likely always be down to play it if someone asked.
Wanted to have a crack as the ghost, but it was getting late.
Managed to guess all my clues correctly on the 1st try, but beefed up the final phase.
Noone guessed the correct answer either so :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Right, to be clear, I love 1846 and think it's a great game and easy to learn, but it's also definitely in its own niche of the space and diverges a lot from the 30 line which I also love.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

Illiterati also a lovely stress inducer.
Need to find a good wooden sand timer for it though, cause the included one is cheap plastic trash that gets stuck constantly.
Only thing that lets down an otherwise amazing production of modern co-op Scrabble

Same, it’s as stressful as the fuzzies and the timer is a piece of poo poo which adds to it

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Right, to be clear, I love 1846 and think it's a great game and easy to learn, but it's also definitely in its own niche of the space and diverges a lot from the 30 line which I also love.

I didn't mean to stir up any strong feelings, more just wondering if this would be a good game for me and my friends to decide if we want more train games.

The other option which I'm not sure if it's in the same sphere is age of steam

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Spiteski posted:

I didn't mean to stir up any strong feelings, more just wondering if this would be a good game for me and my friends to decide if we want more train games.

The other option which I'm not sure if it's in the same sphere is age of steam

No strong feelings stirred! 46 is great for intro.

AoS is wholly different, in my experience. Not at all like 18xx.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

That's good to know. I was intrigued by the kickstarter that just launched and saw that my local has the base game for sale and thought "tracks, shares, trains? It's probably the same!"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah at a high level

1830 kind of 18xx games have strong financial things you can do in the market (dump trainless companies on people, manipulate running order to buy the right train, etc) with the track laying and stations on the board
1846 is much more about having the best portfolio of shares, running your own company well, tactics on the map
Age of Steam focuses on the track laying, money management (taking loans at the right amount to get where you have to go but don't go overboard), map management (those cubes that you get revenue and points for delivering from x to y)

I would play all three (and obviously, there's a bunch more kinds of games in this wide genre: cube rails, 1817, 1822, and all the above have their own lines e.g. AoS -> steam/railways of the world...)

It's all good, really.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

silvergoose posted:

It's all good, really.

I am glad that you said this. Makes me somewhat more willing to dive into different directions and try things out!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The new Star Wars 2p deckbuilding game is better than I expected. It's clever and fast and not exactly Star Realms.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

homullus posted:

The new Star Wars 2p deckbuilding game is better than I expected. It's clever and fast and not exactly Star Realms.
Being able to shoot at things in the market row, blow them up, and claim a reward is a fun mechanic, as is paying things in the market row to go away.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FMguru posted:

Being able to shoot at things in the market row, blow them up, and claim a reward is a fun mechanic, as is paying things in the market row to go away.

Putting the "die" back into "dynamic market row".

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FMguru posted:

That sounds pretty fun.
Is it an LCG, or is it just a 1 box sorta deal?

Might be a fun side pickup down the line

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

T-Square posted:

I saw a dungeon crawler deck builder thing called One Card Dungeon, anyone have thoughts on that? I’m looking for small footprint 2P deck builders we can take to the beer garden in the park to play together with summer around the corner, and I have no experience with those yet.

Are you sure your thinking of the right game? One Card Dungeon is a solo game and is just 1 card (with 8 levels, you flip & rotate the card depending on the enemies) and wasn't much fun after a few plays.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

syzpid posted:

Are you sure your thinking of the right game? One Card Dungeon is a solo game and is just 1 card (with 8 levels, you flip & rotate the card depending on the enemies) and wasn't much fun after a few plays.

He might be thinking of One Deck Dungeon. Which as I recall is also solo only and not much fun, but still.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
One Deck Dungeon is 1-2p. I didn't care much for it when I played it digitally but I could see it being a fun little game if played with another person.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

One Deck Dungeon is OK. I didn't care for the digital version but mostly because I'm not super into the game and at that point I'd rather play most other games. But, the physical copy has a small footprint and is very portable, I've even played it in airports when waiting for connecting flights. Small footprint + coop definitely fills a good niche.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Infinitum posted:

That sounds pretty fun.
Is it an LCG, or is it just a 1 box sorta deal?

Might be a fun side pickup down the line
It's basically a modified version of Star Realms (with Star Wars IP), so it's complete out of the box.

I assume there will be expansions (just like with Star Realms) but they'll be optional.

The biggest problem with it is that there are only two factions (plus neutrals) so it can only be played 1v1 or 2v2.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bought Spots to play with my family and now I'm forced to play it everyday. It is great fun though, and there is actually some strategy to picking the right tricks to use or block another player. And it never stops being funny when someone uses up all their treats and still doesn't get the last number they need to win the game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I genuinely disliked spots, but the only two games with push your luck as a big mechanism that I like are can't stop and Ra, and every other one I've disliked, so I'm pretty sure it's a taste thing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I take one deck dungeon camping because it has a small footprint. Additionally, if something happened to it wouldn’t be to upset.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Alright, so 6 player Oath is just too long if people want to chat as well, but we ended up having a pretty good game of it.

I was Chancellor, holding the Banner of the People's Favour as the Oathkeeper. Successor win condition is to hold The Darkest Secret.
First round, player 2 was already a citizen and player 3 accepted my offer to become a citizen. I gave him the relic from the reliquary spot that allowed me to pull extra cards when searching, but only as long as supply cost was 2.
My initial plan wasn't much more than to just ratfuck the economy, collecting as much favor and secrets as possible and abusing the PF to remove suits that the non-citizens had as advisors.

Players 2 and 3 were busy fighting each other for the Darkest Secret, which I was more than happy to encourage initially, especially as they were holding on to a Vision each "just in case".
Player 4 was trying to AP his way to some sort of wild victory but none of the visions ended up helping him out towards that end. 5 and 6 had their own thing going on but similarly found it tough to get any kind of economy going. P6 became a citizen as well around turn 4.

At this point though, the amassed secrets between 2 and 3 started becoming an issue. With my use of the PF and Player 4 and 5 burning cards off of sites in order to find something useful, we ended up with a multitude of denizens that had ways to cheaply obtain secrets or steal them. Rounds 5 and 6 saw the Darkest Secret ping-ponging back and forth between 2, 3 and 6. It was at this point I realised I may have a problem, as the upkeep on the PF was starting to really hurt and the combined strain of having so many armies out on the board saw the Empire's supply tank real hard.

Then In Round 7, the cursed card Tinker's Fair came out as a Denizen, and the horse trading for the win began, as everyone started throwing their secrets at either 2 or 6.
I didn't have enough cash on hand to exile all three, so my route to victory was appealing to player 4 to take the banner himself as an exile. I handed him all my secrets, he took the banner and then I threw a 1, ensuring the game headed to an eighth round.
It was 1am this point and had I been slightly more awake, I could have (potentially) won myself by using the PF to discard the Tinker's Fair, but I only saw the play after I'd finished my turn.
Ultimately, Player 2 had an unassaiable lead on secrets and no one else could challenge him for the banner.

So the night did end up being memorable, but a couple of the players felt like they had no chance from early on and had checked out a bit. The last few rounds were just blatant Kingmaking and the ending went to show that potentially anyone could have won, but it felt weird to swoop in out of nowhere for a victory through pure negotiation. I doubt it'll hit the table again for a while but we managed to finally enjoy a game of it.

I'm pushing Sidereal Confluence on them for next time :v:

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

PRADA SLUT posted:

Same, it’s as stressful as the fuzzies and the timer is a piece of poo poo which adds to it

Any game that requires all players to be working under the same time constraint at the same time should include an electronic timer that beeps.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played the Stardew Valley game and it was pretty chilled out but way too reliant on luck in most of the mini-games present. Also some of the stuff that you need to win the game might never pop up. And the way that you alleviate the randomness is by upgrading your tools but at least for some of the tools, you need to get lucky and get the items you need to upgrade your stuff. It was certainly more of a game where I enjoyed the company I had and the chilled out vibe of the game more than actually the game itself.

I also played March of the Ants for the first time since I kickstarted it and I enjoyed it. Bit of randomness for the cards and exploration tiles but overall it was fun to develop things and sending out your ants. Wanna give it a try with the expansions and see how much they shake up the game. Pretty positive impression so far though. Felt a bit like Underwater Cities/Terraforming Mars due to the random deck of cards but also with a lot more competition/more limited actions. I also like the action/reaction thing that it has going on.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

alkanphel posted:

Bought Spots to play with my family and now I'm forced to play it everyday. It is great fun though, and there is actually some strategy to picking the right tricks to use or block another player. And it never stops being funny when someone uses up all their treats and still doesn't get the last number they need to win the game.

I've been playing it on BGA a bunch. I think it can compete with Can't Stop, which I consider high praise.

It's different to Can't Stop a few primary main ways. First off, it features rerolls as a resource, as opposed to Can't Stop where there is actually little luck mitigation. Due to the dice buried in your yard increasing or decreasing your risk and actions being available or unavailable, the 'state' of sensible actions varies, including some zero risk actions such as rolling one die with 0-1 in your yard. Also, you can lose your interturn progress by your own action whereas in Can't Stop you can only lose interturn progress by your opponents closing a column before you. Each turn can be different: the action drafting is interesting, with the added wrinkle of improving unchosen actions with treats. Since scoring your completed dogs skips the action draft, it can be used to get a favorable choice next round. Of course, leaving it unscored for that opportunity could cost you, and the additional layer of getting to score your dogs without taking an action when all are full is another way to encourage risk taking.

It is completely free on BGA and I think it's worth trying.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Hello, TG Board Games thread. I don't think I've posted here before but I've gotten really into Tabletop Gaming over the past couple of years! Last Friday I played Clank!: Catacombs which I enjoyed a lot - I'm a sucker for deckbuilders in general but I really like the addition of the tiles/map discovery mechanic. It makes trying to strategize your escape from the underground much more difficult and seems like it'll add a lot to the replay factor.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/legacy/

Ticket to Ride Legacy, not a surprise when you put Moon and Leacock/Daviau together.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deathlove posted:

Ticket to Ride Legacy, not a surprise when you put Moon and Leacock/Daviau together.

Save money, buy a regular copy of TTR and rip it up.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Sorta interested in how this plays as a Legacy title?

quote:

At the end of the 12 games of this Legacy campaign, you will have transformed your game into a unique copy that you can continue playing for a lifetime.

Play 12 games and you've got a unique TTR board? Might be fun.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That game's going to sell like hotcakes. I'm low key kinda pumped for it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm no fan of Ticket to Ride, but my son is and when they teased this last week I knew I was in. Legacy games are great with kids.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Deathlove posted:

I uhhh... I will probably get this assuming it isn't a Seafall-tier boondoggle.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I've never been truly hyped for a board game since Seafall.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Hello, TG Board Games thread. I don't think I've posted here before but I've gotten really into Tabletop Gaming over the past couple of years! Last Friday I played Clank!: Catacombs which I enjoyed a lot - I'm a sucker for deckbuilders in general but I really like the addition of the tiles/map discovery mechanic. It makes trying to strategize your escape from the underground much more difficult and seems like it'll add a lot to the replay factor.

Welcome to the thread!

I really like Clank but have yet to play Catacombs: I have heard only good things amongst those who like Clank.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

I've never been truly hyped for a board game since Seafall.

The concept of Seafall still gets me every time. It still sounds amazing on paper, and every time I see it on my shelf I get excited all over again.

It sucks that the actual game is bad.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

One of the legacy features better be a ghost train,and/suplexing said train.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Deathlove posted:

Can you buy and sell stocks in the various train companies while upgrading the trains and routes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I hope this game keeps the theme that you are people riding around on trains, rather than investors building train lines.