Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

By the time you're fighting bats is the leather of any use to anyone ever? I know for me it's just more poo poo that gets in my way if I forget to have auto pickup turned off near them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Mischievous Mink posted:

By the time you're fighting bats is the leather of any use to anyone ever? I know for me it's just more poo poo that gets in my way if I forget to have auto pickup turned off near them.

Banners. So many banners.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Philonius posted:

I don't know why I slept on this game for so long - it's pretty addicting.

The feeling of progression is very satisfying. The black forest was pretty scary in the beginning, but now I'm king of the jungle. I hope that sense persists in the next biomes.

I always hated the 'floating platform' style of building that a lot of games let you get away with, so I really like having to build proper support frames for my structures. I get a bit carried away by making my forward bases look good and be properly fortified, so I've only just defeated the second boss, after 50 hours in the game. Once I unlock stone and find a suitably scenic location I'm definitely going to be building an enormous Himeji castle style complex.

Game is good.

About the only time I've lost interest in it is when my progression is hampered by world generation. The amount of time I wasted trying to locate my first viable swamp biome in order to tech up vs the amount of time I spent doing ANYTHING ELSE in the game was absurd.

Everything else just settles into a nice flow state. One play session will be dedicated to just gathering and processing resources -- another will be dedicated to building infrastructure or transporting materials back to my main base. The combat is kind of pants, but it winds up occupying the least amount of my game time. I appreciate all the 'okay, here is an improvement that gets rid of that thing you hated' upgrades that they sneak in from tech tier to tech tier. I just hope that more of the QoL improvements that modders have implemented make their way into the base game -- because some of those are just basic common sense changes.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The iron grind really is the worst not least because you need it forever and ever for various things, instead of largely moving on like you do with copper and tin

If there were some alternate, later source of iron that was more reliable it'd be much better

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The world generator really does need to have the minimum swamp size and crypt count bumped, or they should consider reduced iron bars needed for gear. As much as I love sailing, having to suicidally inch toward land until the trees hit render distance to ID a biome, and then also scout for swamp scale and crypts, is far more tedious than adventurous in subsequent replays.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

fast cars loose anus posted:

The iron grind really is the worst not least because you need it forever and ever for various things, instead of largely moving on like you do with copper and tin

If there were some alternate, later source of iron that was more reliable it'd be much better

I mean there's fuckloads of iron (also copper) to be sourced in the Mistlands which was a nice surprise.

e: needing a mistlight means you can barely carry any of it :v:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 1, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Mistlands didn't exist last time I played so that's nice to know

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Have any of y'all realized yet that this game completely colors how you feel about ancient history?

I was listening to a podcast about bronze age history. They had a story from the perspective of somebody leading a donkey train carrying a mess of tin and my reaction was "Man I've been there..."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm just getting into this and naturally I'm looking at guides and tips and tricks vids. Most of them seem to date back to about two years ago, which can be a long time in EA. Have there been any major mechanics or other changes that might obviate some of these two year old videos?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I played 120 hours when it came out and have put another 120 hours in with friends over the last few months and the basic gameplay loops and mechanics are the same as far as I can tell. There are new enemies, armors, foods, and weapons but the process has been largely what I remember from the first time. Honestly probably the biggest change for me was the existence of the cartograpger's table so you can share map discoveries with your friends.

We aren't in mistlands yet so I can't comment on that but that is the only totally new part to me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

I'm just getting into this and naturally I'm looking at guides and tips and tricks vids. Most of them seem to date back to about two years ago, which can be a long time in EA. Have there been any major mechanics or other changes that might obviate some of these two year old videos?

Nah it's pretty much all the same still. The food system saw big changes in Hearth and Home compared to release, but I can't think of any other major changes that would break guides/tips, etc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Awesome, thanks fellas

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Japanese castles have been done before, but I decided to go all in and do a full scale castle complex. Preparing the groundworks took me about 20 hours. I reckon I need at least 3000 tar for the roofs once I start putting the buildings up (the shogun heard you like roofs dawg, so he put some roofs on his roofs). Luckily there's a large plains biome right next door :shepicide:

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Philonius posted:

Japanese castles have been done before, but I decided to go all in and do a full scale castle complex. Preparing the groundworks took me about 20 hours. I reckon I need at least 3000 tar for the roofs once I start putting the buildings up (the shogun heard you like roofs dawg, so he put some roofs on his roofs). Luckily there's a large plains biome right next door :shepicide:

:chanpop:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Philonius posted:

Godspeed and RIP your framerate

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Godspeed and RIP your framerate

I heard people complain about terrain modifications murdering framerate, but I think this has been fixed? I still get 90+ fps there for now at least.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
When the game first came out the terrain modificaton system was terrible, but they put out a fix fairly early on that reduced the number of network instances by about half. You can still do too much but it's a lot harder.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Philonius posted:

I heard people complain about terrain modifications murdering framerate, but I think this has been fixed? I still get 90+ fps there for now at least.

Hit F2 to bring up a menu that shows the instance count.

Every terrain modification and build piece within rendering distance adds to the count, and eventually will start impacting frame rate.

They've done some nice optimizations since the first release but that just lets you build/modify more before the slideshow starts.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Hit F2 to bring up a menu that shows the instance count.

Every terrain modification and build piece within rendering distance adds to the count, and eventually will start impacting frame rate.

They've done some nice optimizations since the first release but that just lets you build/modify more before the slideshow starts.

It's at 5700 right now with one tower constructed. I'll see how far I can get before performance dies.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Here's the base I'm working on with friends rn:

You can see I'm down to ~45 FPS (I have an RTX 2070 Super) but it never feels laggy and we've got 9000 instances and made quite a few terrain mods and all those buildings. You can do a lot before it ever becomes a serious issue, more if your card is better obviously.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
official statement from irongate on paid mods https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3705945096234321242

quote:

Hello vikings!

Lately we have been getting a lot of questions regarding mods, and what we as a company approve of – as well as what we don’t approve of. Therefore we thought we’d try and clear things up a little bit.

First of all, while we don’t have any official mod support, we are definitely happy to see that people are engaging with our game and creating their own mods for it. It’s definitely flattering that you want to be creative and add your own ideas! Iron Gate not having any official mod support essentially means that any creating and using of mods is done at your own risk, and that we can’t guarantee that mods will be compatible with newer versions of the game.

The thing that we’ve been getting the most questions about, however, is the phenomenon where mods cost money. We definitely understand that you spend a lot of your time on creating a mod, and that you might want financial compensation for that, but Iron Gate does not condone locking modded content behind a paywall.

We feel that charging money for a mod is against the creative and open spirit of modding itself, and therefore we urge all mod authors to make their mods freely available to all who want to play them. This should include the whole mod, and not just have part of the mod available for free while another part of it costs money. If you want to show your appreciation for a mod author you can of course still support them with a voluntary donation, but we do not want payment to be a requirement to access a mod.

Additionally, we would also greatly appreciate it if mods made it clear that they are unofficial mods, both in game and on any website where the mod is available. Sometimes joining a modded dedicated server will automatically trigger a download of a mod, and we simply want to avoid confusion for players so that they can know whether or not they are playing a modded game. Valheim already has a feature for this, where you can simply have your mod trigger a popup in game, which will inform the player that their game is running with a mod.

Thank you all for taking our wishes into consideration!

Best regards,
The Iron Gate team

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cool & good. I like they're explicit that you can't have part of the mod paid either.

Gonna be curious to see how people making those mods are going to take it. Wonder if some will just try to be hush-hush about it since it the statement doesn't really come with any threats.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Gonna be curious to see how people making those mods are going to take it. Wonder if some will just try to be hush-hush about it since it the statement doesn't really come with any threats.

Huh, I hadn't heard about this. The only mod I'd even slightly consider paying a tiny amount for is Valheim Plus, and it's really just a convenient modpack.

What is the copyright situation with mods? Actual content creation, like models and whatnot seem like they could be one thing, but taking someone else's (closed source) code, changing some values, and charging for it seems like another. In fact, repackaging code and selling it is almost universally prohibited in even open-source licenses.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Oxyclean posted:

You'd think that, since it would be the sensible thing to do -- but since when have you ever seen the modding community for anything take that route. I expect a lot of shrieking, wailing, and other histrionics.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BrianRx posted:

Huh, I hadn't heard about this. The only mod I'd even slightly consider paying a tiny amount for is Valheim Plus, and it's really just a convenient modpack.

What is the copyright situation with mods? Actual content creation, like models and whatnot seem like they could be one thing, but taking someone else's (closed source) code, changing some values, and charging for it seems like another. In fact, repackaging code and selling it is almost universally prohibited in even open-source licenses.

Someone previously in the thread recommended one of the mod packs you need to pay a monthly subscription for to get and keep access to that started a discussion on it.

That modpack is probably one of the reasons Irongate had to actually take a stance on modding tbh.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BrianRx posted:

I think there was chatter a few pages back about people running into some big overhaul mod that you needed to go on a discord or patreon and pay for or something.

Paid-mods feels like a really weird thing legally and philosophically. I don't really disagree that there's some mods out there that take a ton of hard work, and people are maybe entitled to profit from their work. But it also just seems weird making money off of someone else's work if you don't have permission, and doubly so in a way that it's absolutely dependent on the original work.

On the other hand, modding communities have gotten comically toxic and petty even without money involved with stuff like people stealing work or purposefully breaking compatibility with other mods over design opinion differences that money becoming involved won't create a bigger mess or just lead to like 1000 paid mods of big tiddy anime lady model rips.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

BrianRx posted:

If the modders were selling modded copies of Valheim there would be a problem, but users still need to buy Valheim, they're just paying the modders for the mod code, so I don't think there's any copyright issue.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

On the other hand, modding communities have gotten comically toxic and petty even without money involved with stuff like people stealing work or purposefully breaking compatibility with other mods over design opinion differences that money becoming involved won't create a bigger mess or just lead to like 1000 paid mods of big tiddy anime lady model rips.

God, you’re reminding of the kerbal space program modder that literally put spyware in one of his mods that you had to dig around in the menus to go opt out of, and even among that pool of crazy dude managed to get driven out.

It wasn’t even his own mod, he had just taken over the main fork when the original dev abandoned it for a while iirc.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
i still find it funny that the mods are subscription based. just seems insane to me still especially considering the length of the game and that mods are unsupported so they can/will break randomly and you are at the whims of the modders to fix the thing you are actively paying for

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Voxx posted:

i still find it funny that the mods are subscription based. just seems insane to me still especially considering the length of the game and that mods are unsupported so they can/will break randomly and you are at the whims of the modders to fix the thing you are actively paying for

I bet the percentage of modders who got their start by fixing an abandoned broken mod so it would work with the new patch is non-trivial

But no I can't imagine paying for a mod unless its something like a complete game overhaul and even then I'd be thinking hard about it (think something like Enderal)

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
yeah definitely that's how many cut their teeth (on fixing other people's poo poo) but if it's behind a paywall DRM thing then if it gets abandoned, it's abandoned

incoming mod piracy

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Don't forget the deranged FFXIV modder who started putting malware into his mod as a copy protection measure.

Never found out if that individual just got thrown out of every community everywhere, including github, or if they also wound up facing legal repercussions. I'd like to think making some very public examples would crack down on the escalating egos of modders who, at the end of the day, are building off of someone else's work. Charging for a mod is bad enough, and I can't imagine any way that it's remotely legal, but it leads to even uglier places still.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 30, 2023

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

thekeeshman posted:

If the modders were selling modded copies of Valheim there would be a problem, but users still need to buy Valheim, they're just paying the modders for the mod code, so I don't think there's any copyright issue.

Maybe not copyright, but it can be a ULA problem. I think Valheim is starting with the soft hand approach before getting legal involved.

Personally i would never pay monthly for an add on. Might donate if its awesome, but a subscription? Nope.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Look at what happened when they tried to officially add paid mods to Skyrim, it was a bunch of bargain bin buggy/low effort changes or skins and the backlash was so huge they had to end it almost as soon as it started.

Mods should always be a open community project with everyone freely iterating on their projects or making mods of other peoples mods or taking over abandoned projects or starting from scratch to do what the abandoned project did (giving credit where any credit is due) with the option always there to send a few bucks to someone you particularly like the work of.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I do not mind if authors ask for money for their creations, whether that's a paywall or just donations. On the other hand I want all mods to be open-source with a very permissive license, since I do not trust mod authors for many good reasons, so I want the option to check what's in the mod - if the mod itself is distributed as raw code that's even better. If a mod author starts to be a douchebag then anyone else can just fork their code and unfuck it, and yeah it means even a paywall can be trivially bypassed. Game devs should make sure that use of their mod API requires accepting the terms of the license which then requires open-source and easy forking, and it gives them a legal basis to go after people who try to subvert that either by closing parts of their source or by hacking in non-official modding.

On the topic of Valheim and mods in specific I've been playing multiplayer with my wife the last few months and we've got 16 or so mods going now, starting with Valheim Plus and a bunch of other QoL stuff, and it's been great. A year or so back we had a run that didn't go far - we didn't even fight Bonemass that time, whereas in this run we recently beat Yagluth and we are now exploring the Mistlands. I am guessing we will run out of steam within a month or so both due to running out of content but also just generally having enough of Valheim, but then for sure in another year when Ashlands and whatever else comes along we'll give it another go. Really great game and I wish there were more games that hit this combination of buttons - for me the building is a huge draw, for my wife the combat and exploration is best. I think the closest game we've tried that ticks the same boxes is Don't Starve Together, but I'm a baby and that game is too hard for me so I usually end up ragequitting. Any other similar-ish games lately? [edit:] Apparently Enshrouded seems to hit the spot, just saw it in the Survival games thread.

Koobze fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 31, 2023

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I look at valheim mods like I do Minecraft mods and graphic packs, and am cool with it.
I am bothered more by cOnTeNt cReAtOrS what spam discord with their video links of builds they made with dev commands and/or building mods. gently caress those fuckers. Zero clicks given.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think it's weird to view creativity as a competitive sport.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hello, is there a way to copy an existing structure or piece, like the eyedropper tool in factorio, or a mod that does that? Not for free, just to switch what pieces you are building with?

Also the keybindings say "prev build piece' and 'next build piece' and assign those to Q & E but I can't get them to do anything. The building interface in this game is not good, but so is the documentation so I might just be missing how to do these basic functions.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

zoux posted:

Hello, is there a way to copy an existing structure or piece, like the eyedropper tool in factorio, or a mod that does that? Not for free, just to switch what pieces you are building with?

Also the keybindings say "prev build piece' and 'next build piece' and assign those to Q & E but I can't get them to do anything. The building interface in this game is not good, but so is the documentation so I might just be missing how to do these basic functions.

Planbuild is a mod that lets you copy and paste structures. It doesn't give free mats by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Oxyclean posted:

Cool & good. I like they're explicit that you can't have part of the mod paid either.

I think legal action has been threatened since all the modders making subscription content have immediately made (or are in the process of making) their mods free to access. A few of them seem to be "taking a break from modding" as well which suggests they have had some fairly significant news.

I don't mind donating to mod makers using the principle of "would I buy this person a drink if I met them IRL" logic, but the mod subscription stuff is a bit shady, particularly since I doubt the modders were paying any royalties to Iron Gate. I'm also uneasy about being forced to use KeyManager to access these mods but that's another conversation in itself.

I've seen people defending premium modders by saying they've put out more content than Iron Gate has done since the early access release. I don't think this is a fair comparison because of all the operational stuff needed to develop a game in the first place.

I'm wondering if some of the larger mods (e.g. Krumpac) might take the Vintage Story approach and start developing a standalone game instead. Presumably some of the code can be reused in another Unity game.