Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/sethpartnow/status/1663229282078933016?s=46&t=aXw7W5TiwDaOVtqp-9FOLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

bump_fn posted:

the last writers strike gave us president trump so im excited to see what this one gives us

obviously another president trump

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bump_fn posted:

the last writers strike gave us president trump

can you elaborate on this

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

literally why the writers are striking

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

The Fool posted:

I cant keep track of it all any more

it was charles babbage OP

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i hate jason calacanis

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
chatgpt, please write a script for tony soprano finishing his meal and leaving the diner

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have gotten around to watching strange new worlds

1. did they seriously make a character who is a descendant of khan noonien singh whose name is "laan noonien singh"

2. did they seriously make the Number One character's first name "una"

who writes this poo poo

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/joerussotweets/status/1663369562983919617

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the stories from this production are wild. they shot it in the middle of the Mexican jungle and everything was practical. here, straight from Wikipedia

quote:

According to Schwarzenegger, filming was physically demanding. The actor—and former bodybuilder—shipped gym equipment to Mexico and trained intensively every day before shooting began, usually with his co-stars.[11] Screenwriter Jim Thomas was impressed with the training regimen and said: "I think that phrase 'manly men' was coined [during the production of Predator]".[11] Among other tasks, Schwarzenegger had to swim in very cold water and spent three weeks covered in mud for the climactic battle with the alien.[12] In addition, cast and crew endured very cold temperatures in the Mexican jungle that required heat lamps to be on all of the time. Cast and crew filmed on rough terrain that, according to the actor, was never flat, "always on a hill. We stood all day long on a hill, one leg down, one leg up. It was terrible."[12] Schwarzenegger also faced the challenge of working with Kevin Peter Hall, who could not see in the Predator suit. The actor recalled that "when he's supposed to slap me around and stay far from my face, all of a sudden, whap! There is this hand with claws on it!"[12] Hall stated in an interview that his experience on the film "wasn't a movie, it was a survival story for all of us."[13] For example, in the scene where the Predator chases Dutch, the water was foul, stagnant and full of leeches.[13] Hall could not see out of the mask and had to rehearse his scenes with it off and memorize where everything was. The outfit was difficult to wear because it was heavy and affected his balance.[13]

the first half of the film and the credits definitely are leaning into Arnold’s immediately previous film - Commando.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Sagebrush posted:

i have gotten around to watching strange new worlds

1. did they seriously make a character who is a descendant of khan noonien singh whose name is "laan noonien singh"

2. did they seriously make the Number One character's first name "una"

who writes this poo poo

1. "la'an", yes
2. that has been her name for like 50 years, blame gene roddenberry

i don't like the discovery-esque "this person is related to someone you already know from star trek!" bullshit either, but at least they don't really do anything with it beyond the occasional derogatory comment. you can just assume khan had a ton of kids like ghengis. i think that's what they were going for, at least

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“number one” not literally being her name would’ve been fine but on the other hand dumb stuff Roddenberry insisted on is a core part of Star Trek.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
always worth pointing out gene was nuts

https://twitter.com/Farts_Johnson/status/1145654870080401409

(tracy tormé wrote a couple early TNG episodes)

e: also kinda weird to see the SA quote style :tinfoil: here's the full thing

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 30, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

that's my definition of pleasure as well tbh

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm just glad i can finally watch Succession. Is it any good?

It's good.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

indigi posted:

that's my definition of pleasure as well tbh
good. took him 18 hours to come up with that

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw yiss
https://twitter.com/shoutfactory/status/1663586694392578054

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

took him 18 hours to come

yeah that's how you get wave after wave

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

The Fool posted:

I thought sa closing the hentai forum is what made trump president

The Fool posted:

or was it the wow warlock balance patch

sa closing the hentai forum gave us president trump

the wow warlock balance patch gave us ape slurping nfts

and international wire fees when some dude bought model trains gave us cryptocurrencies

edit: and seven of nine gave us president obama

ymgve fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 31, 2023

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

hobbesmaster posted:

the stories from this production are wild. they shot it in the middle of the Mexican jungle and everything was practical. here, straight from Wikipedia

the directors commentary goes into this as well, the first jungle shooting location they had planned for turned out to be deciduous so they had to bring in all the green leaves and dress up the jungle to look like jungle.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

new I Think You Should Leave dropped and i spotted Fatal Farm in the credits, which I haven't thought about since Our Robocop Remake. decent first two, that loving egg bit…

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Beeftweeter posted:

1. "la'an", yes
2. that has been her name for like 50 years, blame gene roddenberry

i don't like the discovery-esque "this person is related to someone you already know from star trek!" bullshit either, but at least they don't really do anything with it beyond the occasional derogatory comment. you can just assume khan had a ton of kids like ghengis. i think that's what they were going for, at least

i... don't ever recall her name being specified as "una" by roddenberry, i think i'd want to see a source on that

pretty sure that's on the discovery writers, since pike and... una showed up there prior to SNW being a thing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i only got around to watching The Good Place this year and just finished the show

it was... good. man it could be a nail-biter at times though. had to take a break like halfway into the second season.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i... don't ever recall her name being specified as "una" by roddenberry, i think i'd want to see a source on that

pretty sure that's on the discovery writers, since pike and... una showed up there prior to SNW being a thing.

you're right, i could have sworn i read that it was her name in the script (or some other treatment) for "the cage", but that's not the case. sorry, i'm not sure who i was actually thinking of now but maybe it'll come to me?

anyway while looking into that i found that it actually was used in some novels beforehand and it seems that's where discovery got it from (although it was also in a discovery novel, first). from memory alpha

quote:

The novel Vulcan's Glory, by Star Trek: The Original Series writer D.C. Fontana, suggested this character's moniker was not simply a nickname or title – she was an Illyrian who was called "Number One," as the best intellect among her generation. The novels The Children of Kings and Child of Two Worlds explain that Number One does have a given name, but it's difficult to pronounce for non-Illyrians; the former suggests that she liked to be called by this name rather than her own as it enabled her to maintain a professional relationship with her captain. The novel The Enterprise War describes her as having been raised in Illyrian colonies and thus, while not actually being Illyrian herself, having adapted much of that species' emotional self-control. Her actually being Illyrian and raised in an Illyrian colony was confirmed canon in SNW: "Ghosts of Illyria".

In the novel Captain to Captain she is referred to as "Una". The novel explained that she had adopted the name Una as far back as her Academy days, due to her real name being all but impossible to pronounce. The name "Una" was also used in the Star Trek: Discovery novel Desperate Hours and was subsequently used in DIS: "Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2" and ST: "Q&A".

so basically all of her characterization on SNW so far comes from the novels too, which i didn't know before either

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

ymgve posted:

and international wire fees when some dude bought model trains gave us cryptocurrencies

insane that this hosed-up post contains so much accuracy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

i only got around to watching The Good Place this year and just finished the show

it was... good. man it could be a nail-biter at times though. had to take a break like halfway into the second season.

the good place is one of the best comedies ever imo, it gets weak near the end but recovers once brent fucks off forever I’ve never seen a serialized show so willing to blow up its own premise every few episodes. the season 1 finale, jeremy bearimy and the trolley problem are all timers

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

schur had to have cashed in all his favors from the office and p+r to get away with the good place on network television

glad he did though

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i never got tired of the good place swear filters

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the trolley problem was a lol

also a bunch of old memes make way more sense to me now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ymgve posted:

dont forget that lovely printer drivers from IBM gave us GNU/Linux

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

the trolley problem was a lol

chidi is one of the best characters in modern fiction

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i bounced off of the good place the first time i watched it. then y'all talked it up enough that i gave it a second shot and boy howdy was i glad i did.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T2N7tjvsCw

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/csmfht/status/1663492671061770240

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

new justified series set in Detroit is coming :toot:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/headexposure/status/1664030448039673858

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
https://twitter.com/VoicesByZane/status/1663996434234978304

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there was a comic book that functioned as a direct sequel to the thing. in it childs eventually became a thing but at the point I stopped reading it wasn't clear (to me at least) whether he had been a thing at the end of the movie or if he got thinged during the comic story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I need to catch up on barry

lol