Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Can someone tell me which are the violet dots and which are the purple dots? I'm guessing the magenta ones are violet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

Can someone tell me which are the violet dots and which are the purple dots? I'm guessing the magenta ones are violet?

Bigger dots: hit a house
Smaller dots: crashed

I feel your pain as someone slightly colourblind

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

a primate posted:

Bigger dots: hit a house
Smaller dots: crashed

I feel your pain as someone slightly colourblind

Thanks! I see colour just fine, but my problem is that to me, "violet" is just and old-timey way of saying "purple" so I have no loving idea which is which.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Thanks! I see colour just fine, but my problem is that to me, "violet" is just and old-timey way of saying "purple" so I have no loving idea which is which.

Yeah same. I'm also not a native english speaker and to me purple and violet mean the same thing. Except violet might be a slightly paler shade of purple

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

KingColliwog posted:

Yeah same. I'm also not a native english speaker and to me purple and violet mean the same thing. Except violet might be a slightly paler shade of purple

They have different Pantone codes, so they are technically different colors if you're really into it. For casual use, they are interchangeable.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Why wouldn't they just use like red and yellow or something.

Periwinkle are confirmed strikes, misses are in lilac

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If you are not breaking out the munsell book you are not trying.

Or getting your moneys worth.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I really have to question what value there is for Ukraine to drone strike civilian areas in Moscow. If anything it's probably just going to galvanize domestic support for Putin. If drone strikes on Kyiv aren't going to break the resolve of Ukrainian civilians I don't see how it would on civilians in Moscow.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

I really have to question what value there is for Ukraine to drone strike civilian areas in Moscow. If anything it's probably just going to galvanize domestic support for Putin. If drone strikes on Kyiv aren't going to break the resolve of Ukrainian civilians I don't see how it would on civilians in Moscow.

Some speculation is that the drones were downed by EW before they were able to get to their actual targets.

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1663531965469933568?cxt=HHwWgIC-pcjghpYuAAAA

quote:

This Ukrainian drone, of an unknown designation, is believed to have an operational range of 600-1000km and to carry a KZ-6 shaped charge (1.8KG of explosives), possibly with additional preformed fragments- sufficient for targeting objects such as easily flammable oil refineries.

But this small payload is very unlikely to deal any serious damage to solid civilian buildings, indicating that the strikes we have seen are likely the result of drones attempting to fly as low as possible running into the heavy electronic warfare counter-measures in the area.

I don't really know if attacking Moscow will do anything positive either and I'm skeptical about this line of reasoning.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I don't condone them because I think striking civilian is always wrong and think they might be conterproductive but

If they are rare it might help by just making the war real for russians which may increase unrest

Russia is in a war of aggression and not a war for survival so they might not have the same resolve as Ukrainians

They might just be doing their best to force russia to use as much of their AA as possible away from the battlefield

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I hope the drones weren't deliberately targeted on apartment buildings. Yeah, Russia has been doing that to Ukraine, but I want Ukraine to be better.

My guess is they probably weren't deliberately targeting them, for no other reason than a 1.8kg warhead seems way too small for indiscriminate terror bombing.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Striking civilian infrastructure is terrible. Perhaps the goal is to use it is as leverage to make Russia stop bombing apartment blocks in Ukraine but it's wrong nonetheless.

They should be hitting airfields, oil storage and supply depots.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Reportedly the GPS signal around Moscow stopped working at the time of attack, as part of anti-drone countermeasures. There are videos from Yandex drivers flipping out, unable to navigate.

It's possible that GPS guided drones are losing altitude or bearing in the wrong direction, thus hitting civilian buildings.

Those buildings were clearly not the original target.

Pantsir missiles are bigger than Ukrainian drones and have way higher payload. I shudder to think what would happen if one of those things hit a high rise building.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

KingColliwog posted:

I don't condone them because I think striking civilian is always wrong and think they might be conterproductive but

If they are rare it might help by just making the war real for russians which may increase unrest

Russia is in a war of aggression and not a war for survival so they might not have the same resolve as Ukrainians

They might just be doing their best to force russia to use as much of their AA as possible away from the battlefield

It's definitely not a move I'd suggest, but after over a year of their civilians being bombed/murdered/raped/plundered it's no surprise that Ukraine strikes back in kind, either officially or unofficially. It's part of what sucks in war, it might be immoral to use a certain tool/weapon, but if the enemy is using it, you're at disadvantage not using it yourself.

As I've said about previous attacks like the one on the Kremlin, it could be to alleviate fears Ukraine's supporters have about how Russia might escalate. So far escalation by Russia in response to just about anything has been more missile/drone strikes, which doesn't indicate any real progress on the escalation ladder everyone's concerned about.

But it could also be to force those in Russia who think the war won't touch them to face facts. It's a coin flip if that galvanizes support or erodes it. But unlike the Pearl Harbor attack which galvanized US resolve and turned on the taps of the war industry, Russia is already nearly maxed out on the war economy and mobilization. So if it does increase the resolve of the common Russian towards the war, it won't make much difference practically for Ukraine. But if it does erode Putin's power base that could end the war sooner.

It's a very messy and risky gamble, but Ukraine is still in a tight spot.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Bremen posted:

I hope the drones weren't deliberately targeted on apartment buildings. Yeah, Russia has been doing that to Ukraine, but I want Ukraine to be better.

My guess is they probably weren't deliberately targeting them, for no other reason than a 1.8kg warhead seems way too small for indiscriminate terror bombing.

These attacks have a very interesting profile. Done in daylight, massively increasing the intercept chance, small payloads with unclear targets. It's not clear that even the ones that hit targets were actually aiming for those targets.

Looking forward to seeing more analysis on this. Seems like the primary objective of these attacks was visibility rather than the drone strikes themselves. Embarrassing the Kremlin? Tying up AD systems and stressing the command structure prior to the counter offensive? There's also talk of a potential false flag to provide cover for a full mobilisation in the coming weeks, so I guess we'll see if that pans out.

Feels like Ukraine can (and probably will) perform much more effective and strategic strikes in future.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I think it’s also broadcasting the fact that targets within Moscow itself are within range and capability to be attacked. Sure, they sent some lovely small drones today. What happens when a juicy target presents itself outside of the city and the Ukrainians have something a little better at their disposal?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
maybe the intent is in part to shape the media narrative in some way? though the coy response about ukraine not being involved mostly just leaves a vacuum of speculation, so at best shifting the topic from breathless coverage of the ever impending counter offensive

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think it’s also broadcasting the fact that targets within Moscow itself are within range and capability to be attacked. Sure, they sent some lovely small drones today. What happens when a juicy target presents itself outside of the city and the Ukrainians have something a little better at their disposal?

I've been seeing comments like this, and even a comparison to the Doolittle raid. And I mean, sure, it could work that way, but it could also build into Putin's message and harden Russia's resolve. Especially when there's a civilian apartment building hit by an enemy weapon to point at. It seems like a gamble on Ukraine's part.

Humans are weird, and sometimes they're a lot less willing to back down in the face of threats than they are to, say, work an extra day a week because the government tells them it's important for a war effort that seems far away.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
realistically it is extremely difficult to make a drone or missile or anything else that can navigate hundreds of miles, evade enemy AD, resist enemy jamming and other interference, and still precisely deliver a payload. far and away the most simple and most likely explanation is that their attack failed to hit whatever they were going for.

Icon Of Sin posted:

yeah even as a likely failure of a strike it's still succesfull at communicating that and it's remarkable that something that conspicuous made it that deep into Russia yet again. I'm sure they would've loved to blow up the dome of the kremlin a second time, but even getting something to Moscow is pretty remarkable for what is likely 6 months of development.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 30, 2023

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Icon Of Sin posted:

It definitely begs the question how well is e.g. Russia's energy infrastructure protected. Transformer stations, oil refineries, pipeline pump stations. It wouldn't directly help Ukraine, but Russia has to spend resources to protect them or repair them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Majority of drones were shot over elite (like, super-elite) suburbs, so such target choice is unlikely to make population afraid or angry. Solovyov appealing that Rublevka residents are Russians too is just pathetic.

Provoking Russian officials who are dead set on NOTHING HAPPENING CITIZEN MOVE ALONG into losing their poo poo over questions is valuable though.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's also worth noting that I think that Ukrainian high command is made of human beings under a great deal of stress, strong emotions, not enough sleep and too much coffee. It might very well be the case that there wasn't a very coherent strategic concept behind the attacks other than "It'd be nice to strike back against those fuckers in the Kremlin." Not everything is part of some brilliant 5D masterplan that will inevitably win the war, sometimes people just do things and their reasoning for doing so don't always stand up to scrutiny after the fact. This isn't to say that the Ukrainians don't think through their actions or anything, but there is a reason why the old saying goes that victory in war belongs not to the side that makes no mistakes, but rather to the side that makes the fewest mistakes.

I don't think the raid is senseless, mind you - I feel like it's quite likely that part of the motivation is to try and divert AA defenses from the frontlines to Moscow. But I do think it's also quite possible that "Do you want to make Putin personally poo poo his pants when you set off a loud bang over Moscow y/n" is a pretty tempting motivation for a Ukrainian general, regardless of any military value involved.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

maybe the intent is in part to shape the media narrative in some way?

More political pressure on Putin to pull back forces to defend Russia's borders rather than let his generals redeploy them to southern Ukraine in preparation for Ukrainian offensives. See also the cross border raids, minor counterattack around Bakhmut.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tomn posted:

It's also worth noting that I think that Ukrainian high command is made of human beings under a great deal of stress, strong emotions, not enough sleep and too much coffee. It might very well be the case that there wasn't a very coherent strategic concept behind the attacks other than "It'd be nice to strike back against those fuckers in the Kremlin." Not everything is part of some brilliant 5D masterplan that will inevitably win the war, sometimes people just do things and their reasoning for doing so don't always stand up to scrutiny after the fact. This isn't to say that the Ukrainians don't think through their actions or anything, but there is a reason why the old saying goes that victory in war belongs not to the side that makes no mistakes, but rather to the side that makes the fewest mistakes.

I don't think the raid is senseless, mind you - I feel like it's quite likely that part of the motivation is to try and divert AA defenses from the frontlines to Moscow. But I do think it's also quite possible that "Do you want to make Putin personally poo poo his pants when you set off a loud bang over Moscow y/n" is a pretty tempting motivation for a Ukrainian general, regardless of any military value involved.

yeah, good point. i mean moscow had something like 35 suicide drones over kyiv last night in a continuing aerial siege that even at its most effective didn't do much to slow the ukrainian war effort

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Tomn posted:

Yeah as much strategy as I considered for these strikes, if someone dropped missiles on any of my immediate family I would not be responding with any sort of concern for decorum or moderation. I would probably respond with pure unmitigated rage and cause as much damage as possible to whoever was responsible, which is why it's essential to have friends and allies to temper our impulses. A big part of Ukraine's success in this war has been their incredible level-headedness.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Tomn posted:

It's also worth noting that I think that Ukrainian high command is made of human beings under a great deal of stress, strong emotions, not enough sleep and too much coffee. It might very well be the case that there wasn't a very coherent strategic concept behind the attacks other than "It'd be nice to strike back against those fuckers in the Kremlin." Not everything is part of some brilliant 5D masterplan that will inevitably win the war, sometimes people just do things and their reasoning for doing so don't always stand up to scrutiny after the fact.

somehow the idea of an entire state military apparatus, one that's being heavily advised by the largest and best-funded military intelligence community on the globe, just havin' a whoopsie ADHD moment and launching a drone strike at moscow without thinking about what to target or if it'd have a purpose seems unlikely

like, i dunno the actual reasoning, but that's the kind of thing that explains someone putting diesel into their gas tank on accident, not launching an air raid on the defended capitol of a nuclear power

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
yeah, looking at the available evidence it seems clear those drones where on their way somewhere else before EW confused them and they got shot down over Moscow

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's not like it even matters in the end, Putin won't stop sending tons of suicide drones and missiles to bomb civilians in Kiev just because some jammed drones crashed inside Moscow, they've been doing that for quite some time already.

Bombing civilian houses with drones seems so utterly wasteful that it feels so extremely unlikely that they were the targets and not an nearby fuel depot or something similar.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The purpose of the attacks isn't the physical damage they inflict - the numbers and payload are inconsequential, and the majority are going to be intercepted or jammed so won't be able to hit any kind of target meaningfully.

Instead its purely about the political and pyschological impact.

The intent is to demonstrate that despite this being framed as a special military operation (ie: a colonial war in which the imperial core is completely safe and can go about its business with impunity), it is actually a real war, that is messy and bloody, and one in which the other side can strike back at the very heart of the Russian Empire.

Its like the Doolittle raid or the attack on the US Embassy during the Tet Offensive in Vietnam - an attempt to bring the reality of the war home to the people of the other side.

The objective is to influence Russian civilian morale, especially the 'depoliticised blob', which people like Vlad Vexler suggests is around 70% of the population. They might prefer to ignore the war because its an unwelcome and difficult subject to think about, but it becomes harder tp disregard it when they realise the war isn't just happening in a far off land, but is on their doorstep.

It also helps make Russian leadership look weak by being unable to completely protect their capital, and thus gives them political incentives to redeploy fighter and ground-based air defences to protect major cities, rather than the front lines. With Ukraine having new strike capability in the form of Storm Shadows, and them eventually getting F16s, this is important.

It's also heartening for Ukrainians living under bombardment, to see that their country is striking back, even in a limited way.

As for hitting civilians - yeah that would not be a good thing. But I think Ukraine deserves the benefit of the doubt here though... There's a tendency on some folks' part to fuss about Ukraine's inevitable 'future' crimes - whilst ignoring previous and current ACTUAL Russian crimes. No one was killed or hurt here, and this is the first of such strikes - frankly they are operating at such distances, in the face of missile and EW defenses, that its going to be very hard to hit any kind of targets precisely - I highly doubt whatever they hit was their actual target.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Libluini posted:

yeah, looking at the available evidence it seems clear those drones where on their way somewhere else before EW confused them and they got shot down over Moscow

For real. C'mon people, Ukraine didn't fly a bunch of drones halfway across European Russia in order to crash them into random apartment buildings. They were obviously going after soft strategic targets like transformers, refineries, or fuel storage (or symbolic targets like putting some more scorch marks on the Kremlin) but none of them got through. It's not that complicated.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm kind of falling into Tomm's argument that this is just a badly-thought out operation, or an ineffectively-executed one. I can't for the life of me see any strategic or operational benefit to deliberately hitting civilian targets. The German will to fight was not broken by Dresden; the Japanese was not by Tokyo. I suppose you could argue that Serbia's will to fight in the 90s was broken by airpower hitting civilian power infrastructure, but I think it was more the threat of ground intervention.

I just can't think of what Ukraine gains from hitting apartment buildings, while at the same time can see a lot of scenarios in which drones like this could accidentally hit them. GPS spoofing is reason #1.

I think what this actually shows is that Moscow's air defenses are pretty good. They kept several dozen small UAVs from hitting anything of military significance. That is not a small operation. Imagine the Ukrainian GRU (I think that's what it's called?) has a fairly strong presence inside of Russia proper. Even with such a presence, getting 30+ drones aloft and moving is not something you can just do every single day. It takes a lot of people, resources, and risk.

Ukraine has conducted a lot of smart, effective operations this war. I don't think this is one of them. It's okay, though: winning a war is rarely winning every single fight, and Ukraine probably mostly expended operational potential inside of Russia: a far lower cost than, say, large swaths of territory, or tens of thousands of civilians missing.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

FirstnameLastname posted:

somehow the idea of an entire state military apparatus, one that's being heavily advised by the largest and best-funded military intelligence community on the globe, just havin' a whoopsie ADHD moment and launching a drone strike at moscow without thinking about what to target or if it'd have a purpose seems unlikely

like, i dunno the actual reasoning, but that's the kind of thing that explains someone putting diesel into their gas tank on accident, not launching an air raid on the defended capitol of a nuclear power

State military apparatuses, even ones with world class funding, do silly (and sometimes quite expensive) poo poo all the time for reasons that in retrospect aren't as strong as they looked at the time. Even in (or arguably especially in) wartime. Every single military in every war has a litany of stupid poo poo they've done at one point or another for reasons that may or may not have seemed justified even at the time they happened, and I don't think the Ukrainians are any exception to that. Mark you, I'm not suggesting that the internal government proposal just went "Let's bomb Moscow lol," but it's entirely possible that whatever sound military reasons there may have been to go ahead with it may have been drowned out by an inner voice yelling "YEAH LET'S GET THOSE FUCKERS" that might have weighed a bit more heavily on the benefit side of the cost/benefit analysis than a completely detached outside observer might have done. Because, well, the Ukrainians are explicitly not detached outside observers. Who expects them to be?

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Ani Lorak is a popular Ukrainian singer, who currently lives in Russia and is under sanctions in Ukraine since October last year. It's obviously a meme referencing her weak public response to the invasion, but a meme that only someone from Ukraine would employ, I imagine.

She came 2nd in Eurovision in the early aughts, with the in hindsight comically presciently titled song 'Shady Lady'.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Chalks posted:

These attacks have a very interesting profile. Done in daylight, massively increasing the intercept chance, small payloads with unclear targets. It's not clear that even the ones that hit targets were actually aiming for those targets.

Looking forward to seeing more analysis on this. Seems like the primary objective of these attacks was visibility rather than the drone strikes themselves. Embarrassing the Kremlin? Tying up AD systems and stressing the command structure prior to the counter offensive? There's also talk of a potential false flag to provide cover for a full mobilisation in the coming weeks, so I guess we'll see if that pans out.

Feels like Ukraine can (and probably will) perform much more effective and strategic strikes in future.

A message was sent, sender and recipient yet unknown. :iiam:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This day in stupid:

https://twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1663615880435990532?t=QrqhyLfmILcFwPW5nh8exw&s=19

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Have there been any calculated guesses as to what the real target was, based on the flight path and the purple/violet dots where they were intercepted /crashed?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

This tells us they’re going to likely double down on this attack during the next US election, but if she’s being mediated through the direct propaganda outlets it’ll probably be less effective.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Why would Tara Reade want to move to Russia? I don't see the connection...? Why would she be hanging out with spies?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Agronox posted:

Why would Tara Reade want to move to Russia? I don't see the connection...? Why would she be hanging out with spies?

She saw those ads promising cheap gas and family values

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Agronox posted:

she's been regularly showing up on RT for a while and has been showing up at some, uh, questionable events

hard to say what it all means though, the message there is too subtle for me