Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lol he's using the "reading something ridiculous" raised eye brow duck from the Liberal Definition strips

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Are the Minions "woke" now? I thought the right was touting them as "anti-woke".

They serve the evilest beings around. After their standalone movie came out, I think this very cartoonist depicted them serving the democrats.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

nonsense, this is an election year!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Randall Enos

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trapezium Dave posted:

Lethbridge:

Literally the Kelly "when we talk about race" argument.
drat, it's going to piss off racists and cause political discourse? Guess representation isn't worth it!

Ah yes a community is known for being exclusionary if nothing else.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, we don't support the P, which stands for Pedophiles.
wee....

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

It's hard out there for large children who have to hold their disembodied heads in front of their chests

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Gnome de plume posted:

It's hard out there for large children who have to hold their disembodied heads in front of their chests

Dullahans have the same rights as the rest of us and it's time we all recognized this.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

My god…just look at it.

Kellies Nomination : Worst Caricature

I mean...my god.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While this doesn't fill me with the same level of incandescent rage that weepily invoking 9/11 does among these shitbags, I do find it incredibly disgusting. Then again, it's kind of fitting they lionize dead soldiers. Dead soldiers don't need any kind of support, as opposed to the people that get out the other side alive but physically or emotionally wrecked.

JamesBont posted:

Kellies Nomination : Worst Caricature

I mean...my god.

I won't pretend this isn't lovely, but I think it's trying to hit both Biden and Gru? But that would require these Facebook-addled fuckalopes to remember that Despicable Me ever existed, instead of Minions just kind of devouring the entire franchise.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

My big takeaway from skimming thru the australian cartoons posted in the thread is

Amazing that you've drawn Anthony Albanese and Peter Dutton so accurately.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Stantis definitely reused this art right? You can see a little bit of text peeking out from behind the unmatched color behind Carmen's line.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
I too pray for a day when we won't have anymore cartoonists making maudlin tributes to Are Troops every year

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

nerd plus rage posted:

Stantis definitely reused this art right? You can see a little bit of text peeking out from behind the unmatched color behind Carmen's line.

That's just a dot, and there's a gap between that dot and the colour box. I think he's innocent of this particular charge.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

nerd plus rage posted:

95%+ of Stantis's art is reused. There's a few generic, lifeless poses he strings together, sometimes with an optional extra hand gesture on a lower layer. It's why nothing is visually expressive. Everything's pulled from a library of premade drawings.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Bob Gorrell

Chip Bok

Chris Britt

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Marshall Ramsey

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

https://i.imgur.com/t3G8eop.png

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Skios posted:

Andy Marlette

Guess both Mary and Tina Turner went to Uncle Ruckus' dream version of Heaven, where everyone becomes white.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
As a non-American, it does feel weird to see all those cartoons celebrating dead soldiers who died in wars outside of the US, in which the territorial intergity of the US was never in danger and saying that they died defending something and it's "the price of freedom", when the only thing that was in danger was the price of oil.

No wait, that's the wrong word. I don't feel weird.

I am loving disgusted.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Stantis' condemnation of "most" wars gives him the loophole he needs to be wrong again.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies nomination: Worst gaslighting.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

Nice of him to actually come out and admit that he wants automation to replace jobs so that he doesn't have to interact with those filthy workers begging him for money.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Tom Johnston on Britain’s out of touch political masters – The chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, has said that he would defend more interest rate rises to curb inflation even if they tipped the UK into recession"

Telegraph:

Covid inquiry faces court battle over ministers’ WhatsApps

Times:

Turkey election: Erdogan ally joins prayers on Ottoman anniversary

Evening Standard:

Comedians back campaign against Lake Windermere sewage pollution

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fister Roboto posted:

Nice of him to actually come out and admit that he wants automation to replace jobs so that he doesn't have to interact with those filthy workers begging him for money.
Literal Kelly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Coerced tipping"

You are free not to tip at any time but everyone will think you're an rear end in a top hat so it's basically a mugging qq

Can't we just fire the workers instead so I don't have to see them?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

VitalSigns posted:

"Coerced tipping"

You are free not to tip at any time but everyone will think you're an rear end in a top hat so it's basically a mugging qq
Similar to how they think freedom of speech is never being disagreed with, I guess.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A request for an optional tip only feels coercive if you're capable of guilt so I'm surprised it bothers them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Microplastics posted:

A request for an optional tip only feels coercive if you're capable of guilt so I'm surprised it bothers them

Since they just want the workers fired and replaced with androids it's probably shame not guilt.

They don't like looking like an rear end in a top hat in front of other people because that's embarrassing, but they don't feel anything for the worker at all.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

French is continuing to move around this thing called the Jespersen Cycle. It's a general kind of thing languages just do on their own, but French conveniently has been doing it very rapidly for a long time when he happen to have good records so it's the model. Basically, word meanings change over time and that applies to the functional-machinery grammar words too. The Jespersen Cycle is the weakening of negation leading to the necessity of intensifiers eventually allowing the intensifiers to "become" the negative element.

In Old French a.k.a. Really, Really Vulgar Latin you made sentences negative with ne (which is straight from Latin) : Charles ne marche (Charles NEG walk) "Charles isn't walking". Then in Middle French, they started wanting to make it really clear they were negating things so they would add an intensifying noun : Charles ne marche pas (Charles NEG walk step) "Charles isn't walking a single step". Over time, this became so common that it was reanalyzed as just the way you say negation and this should seem familiar if you learned French in school or hang around weirdos who care about "proper" French. By now "Charles ne marche" is actually ungrammatical because you'd be skipping half of the negation. (There were other intensifiers like "not eating a single crumb" or "not drinking a single drop", but as pas was reanalyzed those died out, probably just because there are a lot of verbs of motion and it was the "elsewhere case" so to speak.)

But if you actually go to France or talk casually it's semi-mandatory that you drop the ne, because pas is the real negator now! You can say it, people understand you, but you're gonna sound wrong so you definitely shouldn't because this is the "real" French just like we're casually posting in the "real" English. In normal conversation that's not a news broadcast, pretty much everyone uses only pas after the verb when negating it. And if you want to say "why not?" in French it's pourquoi pas? (for.what PAS)

What's going on with plus is a knock-on effect of the negation leap-frogging over the verb like that. See also rien/personne/etc. Since there's no more ne they're sort of "soaking up" the negation.

Fascinating. Never knew about that cycle. Makes perfect sense.

China Daily

Flattening the economy by Cai Meng

Le Monde

by Herrmann from Switzerland
After taking Bakhmut

Charlie Hebdo

The fight against welfare scams: the images that you won't ever see again!
Referring to the governmental initiatives to crackdown on welfare scams.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I have never been more confident the student loan relief will happen than I am right now.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The Senate is investigating PricewaterCoopers after they were brought in to help tighten laws on tax avoidance but instead leaked confidential information to international clients to help the avoid tax. 'Clearly disturbing': Treasury referred PwC to police after emails exposed by Senate (ABC).

Rowe:

Golding:

A problem is that multiple government department used and are still using PwC as consultants. 'Dracula at the blood bank': PwC still has access to Defence Secret Network (SBS).

Le Lievre:

Lethbridge:

Lethbridge draws a lot of rugby cartoons and here's one with politics in it. State of Origin is played between NSW and Queensland, the states Albanese and Dutton are from. Current polling on the Voice says Victoria and NSW are the states most likely to vote yes, Queensland is the only state where no is outpolling yes.

Spooner:

Mark McGowan resigns as premier of Western Australia, saying he is ‘exhausted’ (Guardian). His two defining moments as premier were handling COVID where Western Australia shut itself off allowing the state to stay open while the rest of the country had rolling lockdowns giving him sky-high popularity (at one point 91% approval rating), and his re-election where he got the largest win in WA history with 53 out of 59 seats.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Too many loving words.

EDIT: Kellies Nomination: Too Many Words

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 12, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jesus loving christ i am not reading any of this

it literally hurts to look at

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is there a kelly nomination for too many loving words?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fister Roboto posted:

jesus loving christ i am not reading any of this

it literally hurts to look at

That's a valid description of every Tom Tomorrow cartoon.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Ann Telnaes

Mike Thompson

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's a valid description of every Tom Tomorrow cartoon.

yup. i like the guy but.....dude. write a blog. if you want to draw add the drawings as pagebreaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

He's explained before, no one wanted to publish his columns but they'll publish his cartoons.