Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cubone posted:

lol

is cornette's cheeseburger addiction just exactly what it sounds like?

He stopped eating Wendy's burgers a long time ago, actually, just to help ensure that he outlives Russo and gets to piss on his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cubone posted:

lol

is cornette's cheeseburger addiction just exactly what it sounds like?

I don't think he goes on the road any more but he used to always carry "burger towels" so he could just shove them into his huge mouth and not worry about messing up his clothes. If you check on youtube there's probably like 13 hours of Jim Cornette talking about cheeseburgers.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

John Tenta aka Earthquake was a down to earth guy who did a bunch of interviews with the dude that runs Wrestlecrap. Sadly he got cancer not long after getting niche internet celebrity status and passed away. thankfully a whole bunch of wrestling fans did get to tell him how much they loved him as a kid or whatever so that was cool.

Seemed like a really nice guy who got hosed over by the carny nature of the business. When WCW signed him in the early 90s, they turned into a human shark, and forced him to get the LSU tigers tattoo he had redone into a shark.

I loooooooved this promo he did where he comes out and says I'm not a shark, I'm a man

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TowM2e1XADI

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
while Jim Cornette's food quirks aren't nearly as bizarre as Vince's, I admit "burger towel" is a phrase I definitely would have assumed came from or was foisted onto some goon in olden times in printer-toting/apple-dieting/Grover-hausing fashion

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jim cornette has a story of him and the creative team going to lunch in a nice deli not far from vinces house and vince would always order a large turkey sandiwch with white bread and slathered in mustard, eat it in two bites, and would get pissed off at everyone else taking their time and enjoying their lunch because they were wasting time and not working

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

https://twitter.com/knoxben1/status/1662616185291112449?s=46&t=rSc-CAl4ZevcACnaJdfMFg

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Kevin Nash was basically fiddling as WCW burned and was happy to just take their money and then not bother to do the dumb poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uBATjbsWTc

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jim cornette has a story of him and the creative team going to lunch in a nice deli not far from vinces house and vince would always order a large turkey sandiwch with white bread and slathered in mustard, eat it in two bites, and would get pissed off at everyone else taking their time and enjoying their lunch because they were wasting time and not working

Vince didn't "eat food", it was a means to an end - it was like he was actually angry at the sandwich. He'd just pound it down. Nourishment for the next workout.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Vince would just be shoving a turkey club down his throat, screeching "You motherfucker, I will betray Bret Hart."

Jim Cornette would try to talk him out of it, but it was too late. Shawn Michaels promised Vince a mountain full of cocaine, so the screwjob was on.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Szyznyk posted:

They Nashed every dollar of that poor kid’s lottery winnings away on that disaster. Carny as gently caress.

I am unfamiliar with this story but feel strongly it belongs in this thread.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

TheSwizzler posted:

they try to make him do commentary on thunder and he makes sure they regret it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfjzvxgtLrs

"Here's a fact you don't know Tenay! Luger is horrified, terrified of skeletons!"

:hmmyes:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

pentyne posted:

Kevin Nash was basically fiddling as WCW burned and was happy to just take their money and then not bother to do the dumb poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uBATjbsWTc

thing is he was a booker for a significant portion of the decline. he was coming up with a bunch of the dumb poo poo. nash is funny as gently caress but he absolutely was part of the problem.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nash is a terrible worker employee*, but a decent human being.

Maybe part of it was working his body to specific failure and grabbing that dragon horde when it was being shoved his way because gently caress if you know what's gonna happen medically.

* changed because my word choice didn't sit well, since Nash is a great talent and skilled athlete and admirable in a number of other ways. From a company standpoint, he definitely took any chance to make his workload lighter.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 29, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
You probably had to be mindful of your momentum, too. Fail to go upwards in WCW, you are very likely to fall downwards. It's an absolutely toxic working environment that encourages absolutely bullshit behavior, but I imagine Nash was very aware that if he didn't take on the job as booker and just do whatever, they might have a feud with Hacksaw Jim Duggan ready for him, fighting for the custody of Duggan's secret child... Kevin Nash!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

A guy won a $35 million Powerball jackpot, took a $17 million lump sum, and decided he wanted to use the money to recreate GLOW but in 2010. He partnered with Jimmy Hart and a former GLOW producer and they made one season of a really bad TV show. They announced that they were working on a second season and hired some new wrestlers and started filming matches for it but it never materialized. Probably because he ran out of money.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Nash is a terrible worker, but a decent human being.

Maybe part of it was working his body to specific failure and grabbing that dragon horde when it was being shoved his way because gently caress if you know what's gonna happen medically.

IIRC, Nash grew up poor in Detroit and so he was always mindful of making sure he was going to be financially secure, even before getting into wrestling.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUZwd9yC3I

This is all you need to know really.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the story I heard about Kevin Nash was he went in to the production truck there and talked to one of the guys in there, and I guess the guy was out of the closet because Nash asked him "are you gay?"
and the guy said "uh yeah"
so Nash said "cool, you smoke weed?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

isn't that a kids in the hall joke?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
kevin nash doesnt have any major controversies outside of robbing wcw blind he's a saint by wrestler standards

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wasn't the clique of Nash, Hall, Michaels, and whatever the 123 Kid's given name was kind of a nightmare in the locker room?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wasn't the clique of Nash, Hall, Michaels, and whatever the 123 Kid's given name was kind of a nightmare in the locker room?

he's a saint because he's not shawn michaels or triple h who were even worse

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

This video is emblematic of the dying days of the WCW. They still had the money and the talent to do anything, and instead, they did this.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Animal-Mother posted:

This video is emblematic of the dying days of the WCW. They still had the money and the talent to do anything, and instead, they did this.

In my experience, pretty much every business in the world is run this way. Companies only make good products when absolutely all other options have been exhausted. I think someone ITT offered a similar explanation as to how the Attitude Era happened.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was curious about what the 123 Kid's given name is and lol his first and middle names are Sean Michael, while Shawn Michael's given name is Michael Shawn.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

1+2+3= Syxx

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AlmightyBob posted:

1+2+3= Syxx

:crossarms:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
And he eventually got the nickname of "Syxx-pac" in WCW by his NWO friends.

So when he returned to WWE, his name was now X-Pac. Ex-Pac.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
x-pac sucks

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
x-pac is like that middle aged guy who hangs out with teenagers at the park. Onw of those guys.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

x-pac is like that middle aged guy who hangs out with teenagers at the park. Onw of those guys.

that was everyone in the NWO

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Xpac broke his taint doing the Broncobuster.

Longest asscrack in wrestling, folks.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Let's go xpack!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Companies only make good products when absolutely all other options have been exhausted.

That explains so much.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kevin nash doesnt have any major controversies outside of robbing wcw blind he's a saint by wrestler standards

Yes, by human being standards he is a top level guy in wrestling.

Professionally he was greedy, selfish, and held down guys like Eddie Guerrero, Benoit (may his bones be crushed), Perry Saturn, Dean Malenko, and Chris Jericho because they were "vanilla midgets"

He also helped write some of the dumbest storylines in the history of wrestling and helped kill Goldberg's career out of jealousy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if i were in kevin nash's very large shoes i would have done the same

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

he could have made more money though by not destroying the company that was so bad with cash that it was paying for every person on the roster to fly to every show even if they were not on the those shows or even actively wrestling

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

If Kevin Nash was a Game of Throne character, and he might very well have been in WCW, his house motto would have been "après moi, le déluge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yes, by human being standards he is a top level guy in wrestling.

Professionally he was greedy, selfish, and held down guys like Eddie Guerrero, Benoit (may his bones be crushed), Perry Saturn, Dean Malenko, and Chris Jericho because they were "vanilla midgets"

He also helped write some of the dumbest storylines in the history of wrestling and helped kill Goldberg's career out of jealousy.

Goldberg sucked so hard I can only think of his career being ruined as a boon to all wrasslin