Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It blows my mind how these people are truly convinced that “the city” is in violent anarchy.

My cracker gringo rear end got on just fine in a barrio in the Bronx, it gets on just fine here in the crime ridden hell of New Orleans

Now I did get queer and jew bashed where I grew up in bumfuck rural Texas. It’s almost as if some projection is happening

I have walked through the streets of baltimore well after midnight, in some of the "bad" areas, and been completely fine despite being nearly see through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I also learned during a "fake news/real news" so-called comedy segment that apparently there's a ride share app that requires the driver and the passengers to be armed.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/app-hires-rideshare-drivers-pack-211000305.html

Black Wolf will now compete with Uber and Lyft to bring a different kind of journey to riders, and founder and CEO Kerry KingBrown told Atlanta News First, “We’re about security and safety at all times.” KingBrown, who is a private investigator and experienced bodyguard, told the outlet he wants riders to have “executive protection” during times of uncertainty. “Who are mostly on the news getting robbed, getting raped? The average person,” he said. “What I’m creating is a necessary evil. It’s a necessity.”

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

Today the fill in for Dennis Prager explained how because we let gay marriage happen, polygamy is on the rise and also we let sm/furies at pride so that 1) there can be assigned human at birth dogs because we let trans people exist 2) that's just going to let us do beastiality 3) just before pedophilia is legal because the pc police make you say map.
He finished it with "stop yelling at the radio, you know I'm right". He kept saying how they warned us this would happen but we didn't take them seriously and now it is happening were shutting them up by calling them bigots and whatever phobes
Then this evening Matt Walsh was going on another anti transtirade.

Depressing night
Do large really any size groups of non-religious polygamists even exist? Seems like the hyper-religious types are the only ones going through the effort of making their multiple partners husbands or (really almost always in the US) wives.

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

Panfilo posted:

Marjorie Tyler Greene told a reporter how there's some city in Georgia where it's "mandatory" for homeowners to own a gun, and since this law was passed there were ZERO murders. The fact that she didn't mention the city by name or contrast the change in crime makes it sound like she's pulling the whole thing out of her rear end.

This is similar to the "Democrat controlled cities have more crime" claim they make, which I was ranting to my mom about today. Where is this republican Shangri La town where everyone is strapped and crime is nonexistent?

Next time some chud brings up the democrats crime blerg blerg talking point I'm gonna ask them to name a republican mayor of a city with a population of over a million. Ok now let's compare it to a Democrat city of over a million with similar race, age, and economic demographics. Surely by this metric they'd be able to demonstrate the republican city has less crime, right?

A recent argument for gun ownership as a deterrent to crime I saw on Twitter was, "If the penalty for speeding was to be permanently banned from using roads for life, nobody would speed. It's the same way with using Lethal force to protect your property".

It's Kennesaw, GA and while there is a law about compulsory gun ownership it's not actually enforced. People like her love to trot out the "everybody owns guns and it led to zero crime" bullshit but the numbers were already low, not everybody is walking around strapped at all times, and the entire state of GA experienced a drop in crime rates over the same period without any kind of similar law.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/kennesaw-gun-law/

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Islamic Shock posted:

Do large really any size groups of non-religious polygamists even exist? Seems like the hyper-religious types are the only ones going through the effort of making their multiple partners husbands or (really almost always in the US) wives.

His evidence was some survey that said some percentage of somebody's were ok with a polyamours relationship. Or had been in one. I don't know I missed the middle of the rant because I spent an hour at the dog park and he was still going when we got back to the car and apologizing to the audience for still going

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 27, 2023

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Panfilo posted:

Next time some chud brings up the democrats crime blerg blerg talking point I'm gonna ask them to name a republican mayor of a city with a population of over a million...

I'm not sure this exists. Jacksonville, FL is I think the largest city with an R mayor and it's just under 1m people and he was just voted out. Next largest cities per this Wiki page I'm using are Fort Worth (935k) and Oklahoma City (688k).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Islamic Shock posted:

(really almost always in the US) wives.

lmfao no but go off, american exceptionalist

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh he actually called that out:
"It wasn't even one husband many wives like you'd expect"

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

lmfao no but go off, american exceptionalist

I think you're reading that sentence wrong, there's not even a hint of American Exceptionalism in it, merely a limiting scope.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tree Dude posted:

I'm not sure this exists. Jacksonville, FL is I think the largest city with an R mayor and it's just under 1m people and he was just voted out. Next largest cities per this Wiki page I'm using are Fort Worth (935k) and Oklahoma City (688k).
Jacksonville and Colorado Springs were two cities notable for being Republican dominated and just both recently (like, within the last month) elected D mayors by big margins. :getin:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Is Colorado Springs the one that had self funded streetlights or some lolbertarian fantasy like that?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Weatherman posted:

Is Colorado Springs the one that had self funded streetlights or some lolbertarian fantasy like that?

yep

quote:

Take the streetlights. Turning them off had saved the city about $1.25 million. What had not made the national news stories was what had happened while those lights were off. Copper thieves, emboldened by the opportunity to work without fear of electrocution, had worked overtime scavenging wire. Some, the City Council learned, had even dressed up as utility workers and pried open the boxes at the base of streetlights in broad daylight. Keeping the lights off might have saved some money in the short term, but the cost to fix what had been stolen ran to some $5 million.

“Sometimes the best-laid plans don’t work out the way you’d hope,” says Merv Bennett, who served on the City Council at the time and asked officials at the utilities about whether the savings were real.

It's also evangelical capital and contributor to the Air Force being hella christian lunatics

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BiggerBoat posted:

I also learned during a "fake news/real news" so-called comedy segment that apparently there's a ride share app that requires the driver and the passengers to be armed.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/app-hires-rideshare-drivers-pack-211000305.html

Black Wolf will now compete with Uber and Lyft to bring a different kind of journey to riders, and founder and CEO Kerry KingBrown told Atlanta News First, “We’re about security and safety at all times.” KingBrown, who is a private investigator and experienced bodyguard, told the outlet he wants riders to have “executive protection” during times of uncertainty. “Who are mostly on the news getting robbed, getting raped? The average person,” he said. “What I’m creating is a necessary evil. It’s a necessity.”

To be fair, it's just another way to grift paranoid idiots out of their money. And if you're targeting people who are wealthy enough to afford to carry guns around with them, they're probably wealthy enough to want to pay a premium for their paranoia.

That being said, driving around extremely paranoid armed individuals who are willing to pay a premium to be indulged in their delusion that the world is out to kill them seems like a hell of a liability.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Dirk the Average posted:

To be fair, it's just another way to grift paranoid idiots out of their money. And if you're targeting people who are wealthy enough to afford to carry guns around with them, they're probably wealthy enough to want to pay a premium for their paranoia.

That being said, driving around extremely paranoid armed individuals who are willing to pay a premium to be indulged in their delusion that the world is out to kill them seems like a hell of a liability.

No way that doesn't result in multiple drunken murders cuz the drivers won't stop at wendys on the way home from the bar.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1662631123782979587?t=7IRALOA0_M1a3b9Hko26Zw&s=19
Everyone is outraged at the idea that a person could get away with being late so many times then sue their employer for being fired over it. People in the comments are saying "now nobody will hire black people because they're afraid they'll get sued!" :ohdear:

Pretty sure this is the garden variety racial discrimination issues at work twisted into "actually we fired her for being late, a totally reasonable cause for termination".

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I work in Social Security, recording hearings for judges. Typically disability hearings for people who filed, were denied, and asked for a hearing before a judge to appeal.

I had a case recently where the claimant had been fired from his last job as a prison commissary guy (like a convenience store setting but in jail- he was not an inmate). The notes on his records claimed he slept on the job, tended to just stare in a rude/creepy manner, and threw things at the guards and inmates when bothered.

For the first two, he had absence seizures that were undiagnosed at the time. For the last one, he had been in a car accident years ago and essentially did not have any arm strength- if I remember correctly his dominant arm was missing the bicep, soooo...

It took the judge 45 minutes or so of direct, intense interrogation before they realized that the prison guards who reported him may have maybe been perhaps lying a teensy bit.

Frankly the fact his case got to the hearing level at all was mind boggling.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 28, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1662631123782979587?t=7IRALOA0_M1a3b9Hko26Zw&s=19
Everyone is outraged at the idea that a person could get away with being late so many times then sue their employer for being fired over it. People in the comments are saying "now nobody will hire black people because they're afraid they'll get sued!" :ohdear:

Pretty sure this is the garden variety racial discrimination issues at work twisted into "actually we fired her for being late, a totally reasonable cause for termination".

Lol even in the right-wing circle-jerk that Twitter has continued to spiral into, Andy Ngo still gets fact-checked.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Before Musk took over, I almost never saw that feature used anywhere except on the Trump tweets which put Twitter into a legally-questionable position. It was practically nowhere else, just on the absolute minimum amount of stuff to scare away the would-be regulators.

While it appears as if that fact-checking notice would be a useful thing overall, that it is being comparatively overused so much is probably another sign of company-wide malfunction. It's almost ominous, in a way, that this one thing is working "correctly" when so much else is falling apart.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Morroque posted:

Before Musk took over, I almost never saw that feature used anywhere except on the Trump tweets which put Twitter into a legally-questionable position. It was practically nowhere else, just on the absolute minimum amount of stuff to scare away the would-be regulators.

While it appears as if that fact-checking notice would be a useful thing overall, that it is being comparatively overused so much is probably another sign of company-wide malfunction. It's almost ominous, in a way, that this one thing is working "correctly" when so much else is falling apart.

I didn't even know it existed pre Musk. The only time I see it now is to weaponize right wing narratives. It's rare I see it used to rebuke reactionary points. As a hosed up example, there was a video of a trans woman getting brutally beaten by police in Italy and the community notes were basically,

quote:

Readers added context they thought people would want to know:
This man exposed his penis to children in a park and was resisting arrest.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Morroque posted:

I think it had been incubating for a while and the timing just sorta lined up with Musk taking over.

The algorithm is open-source and seems decent. From what I can tell, it likes to show notices when a diverse group of people all agree that a note is appropriate.

I think a lot of the feedback loops that normally appeal to lovely people don't really click, so you get a more "Wikipedia" vibe than we normally see in social media.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Panfilo posted:

I saw something similar happen on Friday.

(Content Warning. Dead children, medical neglect.)

On a Twitch stream I watch there was a discussion where someone posted a newspaper article about "Somalian immigrant sues NHS for failing to tell her to feed her baby."

The guy who posted this was using it as an example about how there are a lit if stupid people out there who want their hand to be held all the time.

Upon fact checking the article, the background to it came out. This was a 21 year old woman who had given birth to a child. She wasn't monitored while in the hospital, she wasn't given enough information on how to breast feed her baby and as a result the child ended up dying within 24 hours of being born.
She then sued the hospital and the NHS for this shocking example of medical negligence and was awarded substantial compensation.

But the newspaper headline (from the Daily Telegraph an infamously right wing news paper) was one that was technically correct, but also hugely misleading.
It is worded in such a way as to imply the person was awarded money for suing the NHS for not telling her "simple common sense stuff everyone should know" when really she was not given the care a new mother and newborn child require.
It also had the right wing dog whistle racist element of "look this silly foreigner girl came here and took loads of OUR NHS money because she is too stupid to know that you feed babies." to enrage their readers.

Not surprising the whole thing became a online squabble. But as a general rule, if a headline makes it sound like someone got a massive ammount of money for being stupid, then it's worth reading the article in full or another one. Since courts generally look at cases with a fine tooth comb and don't make snap judgments.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Jacksonville and Colorado Springs were two cities notable for being Republican dominated and just both recently (like, within the last month) elected D mayors by big margins. :getin:

Everyone wantin' the D these days

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Question IRL posted:

I saw something similar happen on Friday.

The same insidious poo poo that we saw with the McDonalds' hot coffee lawsuit, but through the lens of right-wing rags instead of corporate misinformation. Cool. :cripes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

I guess. I know I always feel much MUCH safer in a car filled with people I never met all carrying a loaded firearm. Bonus feelings of safety if I have my 12 year old son with me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess. I know I always feel much MUCH safer in a car filled with people I never met all carrying a loaded firearm. Bonus feelings of safety if I have my 12 year old son with me.

Technically, if your 12 year old son is with you, one of the people in the car carrying a loaded firearm is someone you've met.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zamujasa posted:

The same insidious poo poo that we saw with the McDonalds' hot coffee lawsuit, but through the lens of right-wing rags instead of corporate misinformation. Cool. :cripes:

The people demand tort reform!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I remember back when RWM was exploiting the death of NFL player Pat Tilman. Stumbled onto this article that's a nice little summary of who he was versus what AM talk radio tries to make him out to be

https://deadspin.com/this-memorial-day-let-s-honor-the-real-pat-tillman-1847001614

This Memorial Day, let’s honor the real Pat Tillman

quote:

What the USA! USA! Propaganda machine doesn’t want you to know about Pat Tillman are these things: That he enlisted in the Army 9 months after 9/11, largely because he didn’t believe it was fair that defending the nation fell disproportionately on marginalized communities and Americans of color. As SI’s Gary Smith wrote in perhaps the definitive piece on Tillman’s military service, “The foisting of all the dirty work onto people less fortunate than an NFL safety clawed at his ethics.” Tillman wanted to serve in Afghanistan, but was sent instead to Iraq (he was later re-deployed to Afghanistan), a war which he would eventually call “so loving illegal.”

Tillman didn’t want a military funeral or a 21-gun salute, should he be killed in battle. He probably also didn’t want a nationally-televised memorial service, but that’s what he got. Johnathan Krakauer, author of a biography of Tillman called “Where Men Win Glory,” told the Washington Post that the last thing Tillman wanted was to be held up as a patriotic emblem by the government. According to Krakauer, Tillman told a fellow soldier, “’If get killed, I don’t want Bush to parade me through the streets to use as a political tool.”

After Tillman’s death on April 22, 2004 in Afghanistan, it took the U.S. Military over a month to admit to the public that Tillman wasn’t killed by enemy combatants, but by his own unit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the kind of great comedy you get from this website

https://twitter.com/krangtnelson/status/1663561304299425794?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

The embed really buries the lede on Joey Mannarino. Spoilering this response because of screencaps of repeated transphobic slurs:

https://twitter.com/SunkenFlower/status/1663534025749692417?s=20

Dude thinks a lot about cum.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 30, 2023

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

FWIW Chik-Fil-A has been walking back their support of anti-LGBT organizations

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well I can't read it because of the paywall but the subheading is something like "LGBT rights organizations say they should do more"

Also isn't the issue that the CEO kept donating his money to kill-the-gays groups even after the corporation stopped doing that officially, not sure how this solves that. Like cool that the company isn't donating to Fellowship of Christian Athletes, but is washing the donations to even worse groups through the CEOs compensation and capital gains somehow helping gay people compared to just giving the money to anti-gay lobbyists directly?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 30, 2023

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It's funny, because the damage is already done. I don't eat a lot of fast food as it is, but Chick-Fil-A is at the bottom of my list of places to eat at, and I don't see much of anything ever changing that ranking.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

This should be viewed with strong skepticism, as Chik-fil-A has done this "walking back" press round repeatedly over the years. At root, a big part of their business model is real estate investment integration with Southern megachurches; unless that changes, the walkbacks aren't particularly material.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
chikfila is pretty standard chicken and ill never understand why it draws such a large crowd they sometimes slow down regular traffic with their drive thru lines

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

How does Raising Cane's feel about trans rights? Their chicken ain't amazing but it's made up by the dippins

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

AtomikKrab posted:

I have walked through the streets of baltimore well after midnight, in some of the "bad" areas, and been completely fine despite being nearly see through.

Otakon doesn't count.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Neito posted:

Otakon doesn't count.

:iceburn:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Who knows? People went ape poo poo for Popeyes chicken sandwich a few years ago too. It’s fine but it is pretty crazy how busy they are. I think people just get it in their head that it’s so good they have to have it every time cause they’re so bored of the other fast food. Then a decade later they’re just humming along like all the others.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Every chicken dipping sauce people rave about is mayo, ketchup, mustard, and some sugar.

Anyhow, I'm hoping Popeyes doesn't come out as transphobic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jaxyon posted:

Every chicken dipping sauce people rave about is mayo, ketchup, mustard, and some sugar.

Anyhow, I'm hoping Popeyes doesn't come out as transphobic.
there’s not mustard or sugar, there is Worcestershire and garlic :colbert:

Dirk the Average posted:

It's funny, because the damage is already done. I don't eat a lot of fast food as it is, but Chick-Fil-A is at the bottom of my list of places to eat at, and I don't see much of anything ever changing that ranking.

Can you really say the damage is done when they are immensely popular and got more love from conservatives than boycotts from progressives?