Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

On one hand, they are still trying to push NFTs last I checked, on the other hand, this...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Samovar posted:

On one hand, they are still trying to push NFTs last I checked, on the other hand, this...?

CBU3 and YoshiP in particular seem to be much less moronic and short sighted than the rest of Square, and they're given quite a lot of autonomy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My only wish for FF16 is to be able play characters beyond just Sword Guy.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was it Waypoint that had the podcast about FPSs with the English guy who just said 15 litcrit terms in a row without ever making a point

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

Was it Waypoint that had the podcast about FPSs with the English guy who just said 15 litcrit terms in a row without ever making a point

Why can’t we just talk to the cyberdemon about death of the author without fighting it?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Open Roads devs all leave Fullbright

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/open-roads-team-completely-separates-from-fullbright

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Good to see them split from Gaynor, shame that they're still tethered to Annapurna.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

shame that they're still tethered to Annapurna.

?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's been a minute so hopefully my memory isn't hosed, but as I recall Annapurna, in response to a different studio with an abusive head, decided the best solution was to keep said abuser on and give him a new studio to lead.

Edit: Eurogamer summary article + the video that kicked things off: https://www.eurogamer.net/emotional-abuse-at-indie-studios-undermines-the-importance-of-auteurs I think what I'm remembering concerns the first case, but also there's Fullbright as one of the three.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 14, 2023

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

John Murdoch posted:

It's been a minute so hopefully my memory isn't hosed, but as I recall Annapurna, in response to a different studio with an abusive head, decided the best solution was to keep said abuser on and give him a new studio to lead.

People Make Games has a pretty good video on the topic that can give more detail without a weird game of telephone being played.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Annapurna is obsessed with auteurs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's cool that Open Roads is still being made after all this time and that the devs successfully broke off from Gaynor although with this kind of troubled development who knows what the final product will be like.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The EU has approved the MSFT/ATVI deal with provisions for cloud gaming.

https://twitter.com/gamedevdotcom/status/1658134616039931905

The CMA put out a response thread that's quite something. Kinda wild how different the interpretation is here.

https://twitter.com/CMAgovUK/status/1658131200181952516

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1661336530734968834?s=20

sounds like layoffs incoming at a later point, despite their games being profitable

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/embracer-shares-have-nosedived-after-the-collapse-of-a-2-billion-deal/

were they trying to get into bed with Ubisoft or something?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Microsoft and the CMA block put a hold to embracer being sent to the Call of Duty mines

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Barudak posted:

Microsoft and the CMA block put a hold to embracer being sent to the Call of Duty mines

:what:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/psychonauts-2-and-homeworld-3-crowdfunding-platform-fig-goes-offline-tomorrow

quote:

Crowdfunding platform Fig will go offline on Sunday, May 28th, and all pages related to previously funded campaigns will disappear along with it. That means that creators who were continuing to use the platform to communicate and deliver rewards to backers are currently scrambling to transition to alternative methods, including the likes of Double Fine and Gearbox.

Double Fine, who funded Psychonauts 2 through the platform in early 2016, posted an update to their Fig page earlier this week stating that they had "been informed that the Fig website is going to be brought offline on Sunday." They still need to deliver certain backer rewards, including "plushies, art books, physical editions", and say that future communication about these rewards will come via email. They've also moved all the previous project updates over to the Double Fine site.

Gearbox Publishing posted a similar message related to Homeworld 3, stating that communication will come via email and project updates will eventually appear on the official Homeworld site.

Fig launched in 2015 as a crowdfunding platform specifically for video games. It differed from Kickstarter in that, as well as being able to back projects, some users could also invest in projects and receive a share of potential future revenue. Several well-known industry figures sat on Fig's advisory board, including Tim Schafer, Brian Fargo and Cliff Bleszinski. A number of games were successfully funded through the platform aside from Psychonauts 2 and Homeworld 3, including Outer Wilds, Wasteland 3, Kingdoms and Castles, Pillars Of Eternity 2, and Phoenix Point.

quote:

In 2020, Fig was purchased by Republic, a platform through which users can invest in "startups, crypto, real estate, art, music, and more." Republic previously announced their intention to eventually close down Fig, but seemingly only confirmed the exact date for going offline this week.

lol

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

People Make Games just came out with an investigative report on Disco Elysium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGIGA8taN-M

I'm not done watching it yet but its pretty interesting stuff. One thing to add (which they probably didn't mention because it's not a smoking gun in and of itself) is that Companies House, the UK's business registry is notorious for not doing due diligence on what companies are created and registered, especially from abroad. It doesn't necessarily mean anything but definitely a little weird for an EU-based firm, since labour is cheaper in the Baltics. Maybe there are better subsidies for game dev in the UK?

It's pretty frustrating how opaque the financials of privately held firms are.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 29, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s two and a half hours long. I’ll watch it eventually but someone write up the cliff’s notes, please.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ohhh man, def gonna watch that, but its still such a sore spot for me :(

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Blizzard makes a "Diablo 4 Devs Answer YOUR Questions" and answers their own questions:

https://twitter.com/pixelsbyphil/status/1662189983539822592

Unrolled thread version: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1662189983539822592.html

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That is so incredibly loving pathetic.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
It's so incredibly blatant too, like, no normal person asks questions like that.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Apparently they tried to get questions on Twitter but nobody replied, which is easily corroborated by checking the Future Games Show twitter. Why they didn't use the GamesRadar twitter account instead is anyone's guess, but while Blizzard is... well, Blizzard, this sounds like a Future Games Show mess.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah this seems like an FGS thing. I imagine Blizzard just responded to whatever questions they posed (probably along with a lot of other outlets) with no idea where they came from.

https://twitter.com/futuregamesshow/status/1663521382976614402?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Anno posted:

Yeah this seems like an FGS thing. I imagine Blizzard just responded to whatever questions they posed (probably along with a lot of other outlets) with no idea where they came from.

https://twitter.com/futuregamesshow/status/1663521382976614402?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

A mix of 0% of your questions and 100% of ours. Which we created social accounts for so that they'd look like they came from you.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Love the bit where they bought 13-year-old hacked Twitter accounts to look legitimate.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much all major game 'journalism' is bought and paid for.

Outlets like IGN are explicitly part of the marketing plan of major games and you just need to cut them a check and they'll write an 'editorial' for whatever you want.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You’d think there would be some ethics in games journalism.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Outlets like IGN are explicitly part of the marketing plan of major games and you just need to cut them a check and they'll write an 'editorial' for whatever you want.

Yeah, years ago my friend was a writer for the official X-Box magazine, and he was specifically told which titles he could give honest reviews of and which ones he had to give positive reviews.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The NA League of Legends Championship Series' player association voted for a walkout, protesting Riot's sudden closure of the regional amateur circuit. LCS is supposed to start this Thursday and no changes in the schedule have been announced after the player vote, with multiple insiders reporting that Riot is allowing orgs to hire scabs from any rank and anywhere to fill their team spots as needed, and orgs scrambling to convince former players out of retirement to fulfill their contractual obligations to Riot.

Summary of the situation prior to the walkout vote: https://leadergrev.substack.com/p/league-of-legends-lcs-walkout-vote

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ignis posted:

The NA League of Legends Championship Series' player association voted for a walkout, protesting Riot's sudden closure of the regional amateur circuit. LCS is supposed to start this Thursday and no changes in the schedule have been announced after the player vote, with multiple insiders reporting that Riot is allowing orgs to hire scabs from any rank and anywhere to fill their team spots as needed, and orgs scrambling to convince former players out of retirement to fulfill their contractual obligations to Riot.

Summary of the situation prior to the walkout vote: https://leadergrev.substack.com/p/league-of-legends-lcs-walkout-vote

Seems very much like a "the rich owners cried about costs so we changed the system for them" situation.

I wonder how trying to get replacement players would go, I can't imagine a community as hostile then LoL would take kindly to it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nuh uh

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Normally I wouldn't expect gamers as a collective to have any kind of solidarity at all.
But in this case the non-pro League players are pissed as well because killing the amateur league is killing their own route to get into the competitive scene.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

AG3 posted:

It's so incredibly blatant too, like, no normal person asks questions like that.

Blizzard, your marketing campaign for Diablo IV has the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Rarity posted:

Blizzard, your marketing campaign for Diablo IV has the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

I saw this post in a different thread already. :mad:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

IGN re-reviewed Overwatch and gave it a 10/10. In 2020.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh hey it's 2014 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I was under the impression that Rock Paper Shotgun was clean.