Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Have any of you ever bought anything from Mezco Toys? I kinda like the look of some of their Godzilla box sets. If only their Mothra box with the Shobijin fairies was still in stock...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Mantis42 posted:

Have any of you ever bought anything from Mezco Toys? I kinda like the look of some of their Godzilla box sets. If only their Mothra box with the Shobijin fairies was still in stock...

Yes, they're legit. I have their Kong and it is way better than the ones NECA was releasing at the time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yah, I have their Destroy All Monsters sets and they are great!!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
God, i know theyre super goofy but the suit designs from those old movies are so charming and fun

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just got out of Shin Kamen Rider. I’ve only ever seen a handful of clips of the original show shared by friends, so maybe I’d have gotten more out of it if I was familiar with the source material, but it was… fine.

I just couldn’t stand Takeshi. He’s so incredibly dour and joyless and he brings the tone of the movie down with him. The early fights also kinda drag on forever, especially the Wasp’s. To be honest, I really wasn’t into the movie at all until Hayato showed up and I really wish he’d been the lead instead.

I didn’t hate it, but it’s definitely my least favorite of the three Shin movies we’ve gotten.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did a rewatch of the 90s Gamera trilogy just last week and goddamn but Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris was bad. Also that cliffhanger ending was total bullshit. :argh:

what in tarnation

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

what in tarnation

that's what i said. i just rewatched the trilogy too and i think it's one of those great trilogies where you can make an argument for each entry being the best one.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

that's what i said. i just rewatched the trilogy too and i think it's one of those great trilogies where you can make an argument for each entry being the best one.

I think it gets better as it goes along, but yeah absolutely. the pacing in the first one is just a little off for me, and the final Iris battle is unimpeachable which puts it just a bit ahead of Legion, which has a great golden age sci fi invasion vibe. I watched them with my kids this winter, too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

for me, Guardian of the Universe is the best as just a well-rounded blockbuster (it's interesting that you single out the pacing because that's kind of my favorite thing about it), Attack of Legion has the most insane kaiju suit effects/fights, and Revenge of Iris has the wildest plot/themes for a kaiju movie.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did a rewatch of the 90s Gamera trilogy just last week and goddamn but Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris was bad. Also that cliffhanger ending was total bullshit. :argh:

I’ll second this - Gyaos sets the stage, Legion really hits its stride, and then Iris starts strong but gets lost. Like I really loved the ‘side effects of monster rampage’ angle but I remember just wanting it to end. Legion is really the true top tier.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Gamera the Brave is good because there's a baby Gamera and he's cute

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for me, Guardian of the Universe is the best as just a well-rounded blockbuster (it's interesting that you single out the pacing because that's kind of my favorite thing about it), Attack of Legion has the most insane kaiju suit effects/fights, and Revenge of Iris has the wildest plot/themes for a kaiju movie.

Maybe it was watching it with kids but some of the puzzle solving research segments drag on a hair too long, while the equivalent scenes in Legion are a little livelier. Iris would be improved if Iris was more puppet and less CGI but it’s too ambitious of a monster. Legion perfectly straddles the line between Power Rangers monster and actually threatening

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I was born without the ability to produce the anime digestion enzyme, so Revenge of Iris goes a bit too far for me, though I appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship involved. GotU and Legion are both all-timers though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe it was watching it with kids but some of the puzzle solving research segments drag on a hair too long, while the equivalent scenes in Legion are a little livelier. Iris would be improved if Iris was more puppet and less CGI but it’s too ambitious of a monster.

The overreliance on CGI is a bit of an issue when it comes to Iris and I do think the fully grown Iris design is a little busy but I love the "immature" form of Iris, really a marvelous movie monster.

RichterIX posted:

Gamera the Brave is good because there's a baby Gamera and he's cute

this is also true

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HannibalBarca posted:

I was born without the ability to produce the anime digestion enzyme, so Revenge of Iris goes a bit too far for me, though I appreciate the artistry and craftsmanship involved. GotU and Legion are both all-timers though.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The overreliance on CGI is a bit of an issue when it comes to Iris and I do think the fully grown Iris design is a little busy but I love the "immature" form of Iris, really a marvelous movie monster.

this is also true

To combine these observations, the problem with big Iris is she’s a little too anime and not cute anymore. When she’s both adorable and horrific, like some kind of xenomorph Pokémon, that’s perfect. Gamera is also both cute and monstrous, it’s a good match.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

That's exactly it, the reaction to seeing the young Iris is "aw, it's cute!" almost immediately followed by "oh no what is it doing". It's extremely effective.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

DeimosRising posted:

the final Iris battle is unimpeachable

Look, I'm a huge G3 stan, and I think it's one of the finest giant monster movies ever made, but no. The final battle is absolutely impeachable.

That brief bit in the air loving rules and both monsters get an honest-to-god Wrestlemania entrance, but once they touch the ground, the only things that happen are

1. Gamera gets pushed down/into a building from off-screen.

2. Human drama/stomach surgery

3. Shoryuken.

I can see why someone might feel a bit bored watching if the characters didn't click and they went in expecting even a standard monster brawl. The Legion and Gyaos fights were loads more fun.

If it weren't for the boring, watered-down Salvia trip that that was the Space Godzilla fight, I'd say it was the biggest let-down final kaiju fight of the 90's.

Two out-of-five stars, from me, a professional wrestling critic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Danzilla93_GNP/status/1664662010779279367

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Ahh that's sad. I was watching a video about her just the other day. Terror of Mechagodzilla is actually relatively subtle compared to a lot of its immediate predecessors, it's an underrated flick

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Terror of Mechagodzilla owns. RIP

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dangerous Person posted:

Terror of Mechagodzilla owns. RIP

It's my second favorite Showa Godzilla. It's also one of the all time greatest fashion movies ever made. Every outfit is next level

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Takayama also wrote a sort of “sequel” manga to Terror of MG focusing on Katsura and Titanosaurus being revived in the far future, it’s an interesting little side story.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I watched Godzilla (1954) as part of kinda getting back into movies and, like, drat. That's one hell of a film. Beyond thinking about it constantly since it's also awakened a bit of an interest in Kaiju stuff broadly.
So, I followed up with Mothra, which is a pretty hinky film in places both structurally and in its use of compositing effects, but it was fun. It was nice to go from the deep, deep sadness of Godzilla to a more fundamentally goofy & good-natured film. I like Mothra herself a lot, her flapping about sending all the lil' minature cars flying was pure joy. Also enjoyed some of the wild motif choices about how polynesian natives were the true christians all along (??)

Next I kind of want to sample platter my way through the history of Godzilla just watching a few random movies from each era that strike me as potentially neat. I was tempted to watch every godzilla movie in chronological order, but there are a lot of these and most of them probably aren't that interesting. So, are there any I definitely shouldn't miss? Next will be Godzilla vs. Hedorah I think.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Terry van Feleday posted:

I watched Godzilla (1954) as part of kinda getting back into movies and, like, drat. That's one hell of a film. Beyond thinking about it constantly since it's also awakened a bit of an interest in Kaiju stuff broadly.
So, I followed up with Mothra, which is a pretty hinky film in places both structurally and in its use of compositing effects, but it was fun. It was nice to go from the deep, deep sadness of Godzilla to a more fundamentally goofy & good-natured film. I like Mothra herself a lot, her flapping about sending all the lil' minature cars flying was pure joy. Also enjoyed some of the wild motif choices about how polynesian natives were the true christians all along (??)

Next I kind of want to sample platter my way through the history of Godzilla just watching a few random movies from each era that strike me as potentially neat. I was tempted to watch every godzilla movie in chronological order, but there are a lot of these and most of them probably aren't that interesting. So, are there any I definitely shouldn't miss? Next will be Godzilla vs. Hedorah I think.

Showa era is my jam - I found most of Heisei too boring and stiff and anything after that I tend to lose interest because they lose that old school charm that I love so much.

Personal faves:

1960s:
Mothra vs Godzilla
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster
Destroy All Monsters

1970s:
All of them, basically lol
vs. Hedorah is mad and brilliant
vs. Gigan, vs. Megalon, and vs. Mechagodzilla are all peak "Godzilla as b-movie" films, they're tons of fun even if they're mostly not good
Terror of Mechagodzilla is a little bit more subtle and serious

Heisei era:
Godzilla vs. Biollante is ok if a bit po-faced
Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah is comparatively gonzo and really good fun

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I was tempted to watch every godzilla movie in chronological order, but there are a lot of these and most of them probably aren't that interesting. So, are there any I definitely shouldn't miss?

If you’ve just watched Godzilla and Mothra, Godzilla x Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS are a direct sequel to both of those, telling a single self-contained 4-part story.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hedorah is essential, so enjoy. Beyond that, vs. Gigan is my pick for the most underrated Godzilla movie. I'd also say you can safely skip Godzilla Raids Again, Son of Godzilla and Godzilla's Revenge from the Showa period (60s-70s). vs. Biollante, vs. King Ghidorah and vs. Destoroyah are the best of the Heisei movies. If/when you get to Godzilla 2000/MIllennium, watch the US cut.

And while not featuring Godzilla at all, you need to watch War of the Gargantuas.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I would honestly recommend watching all of the Showa-era films. If you were going to pass on any, I think that Raids Again, Destroy All Monsters, and All Monsters Attack are the most skippable, although they're all interesting in their own way. Make sure to watch the Japanese cut of King Kong vs. Godzilla if you can; it's probably the series entry with the biggest quality gap between the American and Japanese versions.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I don't think I really dislike any of the Showa era except for All Monsters Attack. Biollante, King Ghidora, and Destoroyah are the best in the Heisei era. I also like 2000, and Against Mechagodzilla almost entirely because of the Mechagodzilla drop to rocket punch moment.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
All Monsters Attack is a sorta interesting documentary on Japanese society at the time though. Just don’t go into it expecting a lot of killer kaiju action since all of it just the kid daydreaming.

However, being “interesting” is unfortunately not the same as being “good”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You could probably skip Raids again too, even if it does have Anguirus.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Godzilla vs. Ebirah (or Sea Monster) has some of the best human stories of any of the Showa era films. The human main characters are over the top, off the wall, and played completely straight. It's ridiculous, and I love it. You might too!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I tend to prefer the ones that have aliens in them. That's what the Monsterverse needs, more guys in jump suits trying to take over the world with a Godzilla themed amusement park.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Godzilla vs. Ebirah (or Sea Monster) has some of the best human stories of any of the Showa era films. The human main characters are over the top, off the wall, and played completely straight. It's ridiculous, and I love it. You might too!

I'm saving this one for a rainy day :unsmith:

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Cool, thank you all! That gives me plenty to go for.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

david_a posted:

However, being “interesting” is unfortunately not the same as being “good”

Definitely. The wacky, Home Alone style hijinks get old really fast.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Apple TV+ 'Monsterverse' Show Filming in 3D for Vision Pro Viewing
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/12/apple-tv-monsterverse-spatial-video-vision-pro/

quote:

Upcoming Apple TV+ show "Monarch: Legacy of Monsters" is reportedly being shot in 3D format to make the most of the immersive cinematic experience afforded by Apple's Vision Pro headset.

According to ScreenTimes' Sigmund Judge, the live-action Godzilla and Titans TV series that's based on Legendary's Monsterverse franchise has been shooting in a three-dimensional format supported by Apple's newly announced headset, based on conversations with people familiar with its production.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They should do it in the old, red and blue 3d for maximum authenticity

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
A bad week put me in the mood to binge through a bunch of the showa Godzilla movies rather quicker than I expected. My thoughts:

Mothra vs. Godzilla: I was hoping this would be a direct followup to Mothra, but instead it's another take on her mythos that... Kind of strips out much of what was really cool & interesting about it? I much preferred the hidden tropical paradise Infant Island over the mostly-unlivable one for its thematic implications, and so on. As a story I didn't find this one very compelling, though the kaiju action is cool. Mothra's death landed for me and her 2 ugly-cute little larva babies vs. the invincible super-lizard who casually shakes off so much nonsense in this film was some real hydrogen bomb vs. coughing baby booking. I also appreciate Godzilla being kind of a petty bitch

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster: This one's great! I loved the gonzo plotting with the venusian et al, her being this Cassandra figure who no one listens to because they're all too obsessed with making her Normal Again was simultaneously entertaining and quite sad. King Ghidorah is effectively weird & scary and probably the best-looking suit in any of these, and the Kaiju get a lot more characterization than I was expecting - Mothra pleading with the other 2 jerks was a great scene.

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep: The plot and premise of this one are just fun, fundamentally it's an entertaining movie about 4 idiots trying to steal a boat and stumbling onto a secret nazi cult nuclear weapons lab slash human trafficking operation. The Kaiju fight elements are weak by comparison, the titular Ebirah is kind of a chump and as a result the movie deflates a bit at the end. Also this isn't a complaint but uh, I was kind of taken aback by Godzilla's little dance number to say the least

Destroy All Monsters: I actually quite strongly disliked this one. Humans successfuly corraling & controlling the Kaiju is quite startling and I was hoping there would be an interesting thematic exploration of that, but instead the alien mind control conceit just kind of turns them into props. Mothra being treated as just another critter particuarly didn't sit right with me, you'd think the Infant Islanders would have some kind of opinion about that and that would be like, part of the story. I actually felt really bad for King Ghidorah at the end which. Doesn't feel right? I guess I'm just not a fan of alien invasion stories, and neither the aliens nor the human cast were very compelling in this one.

Godzilla vs. Hedorah: Slaaaaaaps. Abandoning any notion of subtlety or restraint and just going as hard on the imagery as humanly possible makes for some pure cinema. So many haunting and memorable scenes, deeply emotionally resonant. Even simple things like the movie practically beginning with the statement "Godzilla is Superman!" and letting that be the thesis about what his role is here really stuck with me.

Godzilla vs. Gigan: Was pretty bored throughout, oddly look back at it a little more fondly in retrospect. The human protag cast was actually great here and I wish they'd gotten more space to be characters rather than just move the plot along. The cockroach reveal slayed me. King Ghidorah really didn't need to be here, but it did give me a real appreciation for Anguirus. Poor guy's doing his best.

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla:

These alien invasions are getting a bit repetitive. Mechagodzilla is a cool baddie at least, and I enjoyed Godzilla getting a shounen training montage where he gets hit by lightning a bunch and turns himself into a giant magnet(?)

Terror of Mechagodzilla: Rather unexpectedly a serious contender for my favourite of this entire batch, though Hedorah is hard to beat. It takes a lot of ideas from the previous movies but executes them with much stronger cinematography and a willingness to really explore their implications. "Control" by virtue of its abstract nature is harder to turn into a physical baddie than something like pollution, and I think this movie succeeds where Destroy All Monsters falls short. The big triumph is the character of Katsura: Besides serving some A++ looks, in her we actually center the perspective of the victim and tie every aspect of the story together through directly paralleling her dad's paternal control over her with Titanosaurus' mind control device even before she becomes Mechagodzilla in the end. (Before Mechagodzilla becomes her?) It's the most elegant way to make the human & kaiju elements feel like a coherent whole I've seen to the point where it almost feels like cheating.
There's something poetic about finishing this mostly-goofball leg of Godzilla's history with an ending almost as desolating as the original, though in a different way and for different reasons. It does make me wonder if it doesn't land quite as hard if you're not a woman.

I'll take a break and watch some other stuff before continuing into the heisei movies, in the interest of not burning out. But so far, I'm having a fun time! I do seem to prefer the more weighty & serious films over the more sci-fi b-movie ones, but those do have their charms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Violator posted:

Apple TV+ 'Monsterverse' Show Filming in 3D for Vision Pro Viewing
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/12/apple-tv-monsterverse-spatial-video-vision-pro/

Well that will move $3500 headsets! Especially remembering how 3D TVs were so popular. Man, you couldn't go anywhere without hearing people talking about how much they enjoyed their 3D TVs.