Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
you can do your part to save these beautiful creatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

those fuckin egghead scientists should actually do something

https://twitter.com/ScientistRebel1/status/1656316525878423552

maybe if scientists actually spoke out instead of being cowardly nerds it would make a difference

https://twitter.com/SR_Netherlands/status/1662463867937538052

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ruggan posted:

I mean you (and I) did do worse. We got dunked into the toilets by capital anyway and we didn’t even publish anything cool first.

Not sure they were ever actually empowered to do anything, the greed of the human race is too strong. Most people will do anything for short term gains, especially if the negative side effects can all be externalized. I guess it’s just a problem with our rotten-to-the-core culture.

Anyway here’s some great news:

Europe is banning SF6 and reducing emissions by 90% in 2050, so expect that line to level out and begin its 3200 year descent to baseline levels.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Knitting Beetles posted:

Europe is banning SF6 and reducing emissions by 90% in 2050, so expect that line to level out and begin its 3200 year descent to baseline levels.

What even is the baseline level? That chart starts at 4 but it looks like it was on a pretty steep incline even then :lol:

Is the baseline level zero???

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

MightyBigMinus posted:

what an insanely ignorant and entitled viewpoint

the ipcc is a vehicle for research funding and report publishing. they're not the loving illuminati. they publish scientific reports that get utterly ignored the same as every other branch of science that conflicts with capitalism.

just really is amazing how petulant a baby brain it takes to make a few thousand people doing their homework well the bad guys.

academics do not exist in a vacuum. the control relationship between academia and policy in an institutional context is that the research wings study how the world works, then the policy wings suppress and/or guard against the findings that are bad for Capital, and boost and/or act on the findings that are good for Capital. that's how the imf works, that's how the ipcc works, that's how the who works, that's how academia works. it's the file drawer problem on a massive scale.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Mola Yam posted:

the earth's last hope, a confederacy of nerds and third-tier bureaucrats, has failed. we are doomed.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the eggheads don't even get paid. lol they are losers

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
guess its like marketing or somethin. PLEASE GRANTS if u show ur good boy work

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

oh yea, you know how Alberta, land of tar sands, has been on fire all month?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/danielle-smith-leads-ucp-to-majority-alberta-government-1.6853380

the people will not save themselves

there is no help coming

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
*a dork finishes up his presentation at the latest COP meeting and starts to flip a table *

Haha whoops it nearly fell over there *pushes glasses up nose* dunno how that happened *comically giant sweatdrop forms on forehead*

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Turtle Watch posted:

you can do your part to save these beautiful creatures

Goddamn

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Raine posted:

let me be clear, i truly believe that i, my family and friends, and all of you with your families and friends are going to die from climate change related wars, disasters, etc and when i do my epitaph will read "may my death be a useful statistic for an IPCC report"

nerds like this are gonna be so pissed off when we all die from old age/heart disease like normies instead of a cataclysmic apotheosis that proves us all right

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Communist Thoughts posted:

nerds like this are gonna be so pissed off when we all die from old age/heart disease like normies instead of a cataclysmic apotheosis that proves us all right

you have it backwards and you'll understand why as time goes on

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Wheeee posted:

oh yea, you know how Alberta, land of tar sands, has been on fire all month?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/danielle-smith-leads-ucp-to-majority-alberta-government-1.6853380

the people will not save themselves

there is no help coming

just a reminder to everyone that the ucp cut the Wildland Firefighter Rappel Program in 2019 and managed to save a grand total of.... <$1.5M (vs their projected $23M savings because they always lie about how much this stuff costs)

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

I wrote a paper in uni on plasticizers leaking from food adjacent products. Turns out that prof worked for a plastics manufacturer so I got a terrible grade because "it just can't happen." Haha

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

it's going to be good when ai can produce nature documentaries. we won't even miss the real animals, we can still see them where it matters: on tv

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
"and here we see the 8-and-a-half fingered lemur"

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Wheeee posted:

climate scientists should just straight up publicly talk about the actual reality of the situation

i'm sure they won't be downplayed by the media, ignored by the public, and be arrested/have their careers ended, no way that could happen

what if one auto-immolated in front of the supreme court, surely the media and public couldn't ignore that

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Tungsten posted:

what if one auto-immolated in front of the supreme court, surely the media and public couldn't ignore that

but he had mental health problems [could not comfortably maintain a dissociated work / entertainment / sleep cycle while studying how the wealthy have chosen to end this civilization]

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Tungsten posted:

since we're mostly plastic, burning yourself seems bad for the environment.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
*shoveling donuts into my face* i'm a carbon capture facility!

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Zodium posted:

academics do not exist in a vacuum. the control relationship between academia and policy in an institutional context is that the research wings study how the world works, then the policy wings suppress and/or guard against the findings that are bad for Capital, and boost and/or act on the findings that are good for Capital. that's how the imf works, that's how the ipcc works, that's how the who works, that's how academia works. it's the file drawer problem on a massive scale.

Yeah, I don't think there's much understanding here that if you provide scientific advice to power you DO NOT attempt to dictate policy. You present the scenarios, try to communicate the probability that $BadThing will happen on their watch, then let the democratically elected / coup-installed politicians get on with their job. A personal :crackping: was how far the language in the 2017 report deviated from that convention. At that point I went from "We're hosed" to "We're seriously hosed, and much sooner and harder than expected".

Cold on a Cob posted:

just a reminder to everyone that the ucp cut the Wildland Firefighter Rappel Program in 2019 and managed to save a grand total of.... <$1.5M (vs their projected $23M savings because they always lie about how much this stuff costs)

Is it my imagination, or am I opening a tab for the BC Wildfires page earlier every year?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

feeling that holiday creep with fire season

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I swear the trees are catching fire right after the decorations come down

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Raine posted:

you have it backwards and you'll understand why as time goes on

much like your posting

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

What’s it like to be this ignorant? Is it blissful?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I hope to get crushed to death by a trash tsunami.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

FlapYoJacks posted:

What’s it like to be this ignorant? Is it blissful?

genuinely hope it is

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's like that old adage, "not knowing things is happy"

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

silicone thrills posted:

its cool that i learned about this in my college climate class in 2009 and like, we talked about this sort of feedback loops as being one of the worst case scenarios and lol here we are

Yep. My college climatology classes were well over a decade ago with a teacher who was considered wildly doomer (but probably optimistic by modern standards) and it's rare that I see news that isn't just like "oh yeah, I remember learning about this in college."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
4 Cat 5 storms in the Pacific and the season hasn't even officially started yet lol

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

the content I crave

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

TehSaurus posted:

the content I crave

Speaking of which ...

Usually I try to avoid ideologically tinted works, but I'll give this one a shot. :kiddo:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ideology is good

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Hubbert posted:

Speaking of which ...

Usually I try to avoid ideologically tinted works, but I'll give this one a shot. :kiddo:

Can you post a trip report when you’re done? Sounds like a cool book.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i thought the cover was some sort of weird quiche for a minute

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Hubbert posted:

Speaking of which ...

I may have some bad news for you friend

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

Speaking of which ...

so you just don't read, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Zodium posted:

so you just don't read, or what?

https://twitter.com/akoz33/status/1232052025514496002?lang=en