Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do any of you have recommendations for a camera bag? I bought a cheap one off amazon, and I realized after a few hikes that it is way too cramped for everything I carry.

I have a LowePro PhotoSport bag that I really like. I understand the newer version fixes a couple of the complaints I have about the older one, too — like having a removable camera cube in case you want to go out without your gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

Went to a two night trip with friends. One friend slept outdoors, without a tent or tarp or anything, just on ground. Cool :D

Looks like the Boundary Waters here in Minnesota!

You have enough trees, join the elevated amongst us and start hammock camping!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Group camping, heard a bear pacing around the area we'd cooked dinner in the middle of the night. No one else heard it. In the morning there were no physical signs of any wildlife coming through.

Starting to think I'm the crazy one.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always assume the wildlife noises are raccoons or deer or something. One time it was definitely coyotes though.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Squirrels are absolutely the loudest fuckers out there.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm always surprised at how much noise porcupines make when stomping through a campsite

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also don't discount the possibility of drunk campmate looking for a good spot to pee without a headlamp

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

Also don't discount the possibility of drunk campmate looking for a good spot to pee without a headlamp

That was my initial thought but it was day three and we were out of beer.

Maybe it was sasquatch. Shoulda filmed it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

Group camping, heard a bear pacing around the area we'd cooked dinner in the middle of the night. No one else heard it. In the morning there were no physical signs of any wildlife coming through.

Earplugs all the way. Get those nice silicone ones and just let the bears either ignore you or wake you up when its already to late as they tear you asunder.

Seriously though, between owls, loons, and whipporwills I'd have a hard time falling asleep outside without ear plugs on occasion.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do any of you have recommendations for a camera bag? I bought a cheap one off amazon, and I realized after a few hikes that it is way too cramped for everything I carry.

I like most anything Peak Design makes, including their Everyday Backpack.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

*taps the sign*

waffle enthusiast posted:

Everything that makes noise between dusk and dawn is a bear.

If it whinnies, or brays, chirps or otherwise makes non-bear noises, it’s a sly bear.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

xzzy posted:

to put on the bear scold hat, you can hear a bear walking by the cooking area, it was too close to camp.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I cook within 20 feet of my camp unless I'm in prime Grizzly territory. Black bears are just big raccoons.

I do always store my food a good 200 feet away and downwind from me though.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to put on the bear scold hat, you can hear a bear walking by the cooking area, it was too close to camp.

Its interesting though because all these established drive-in campgrounds (in bear country) will have a fire pit and picnic table within 10' from the tent pads (an no bear boxes). I'm mostly referring to washington state (and lots of the midwest but bears aren't as much of an issue there). Some places simply don't give you anywhere else to go within a site. Usually when I backpack, I take way more precautions to separate my cooking and my sleeping spaces. I also only have to worry about black bears and not brown which would likely elevate my precautions.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Day hikes or overnighters+? For day hikes, the Flipside trek line from Lowepro is solid and holds various gear really well (camera and not). For real backpacking trips, the best move is to get a dedicated camera insert/cube and pack it in a normal backpacking bag (along with a dry bag if you don't have a full bag liner). On the high end, Shimoda make nice stuff if you want to drop many hundreds.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP37...c7-93deae8f9840

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Camera+cube&crid=37GQHTHFZSVGX&sprefix=camera+cub%2Caps%2C168&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Muir posted:

I like most anything Peak Design makes, including their Everyday Backpack.

Definitely not for hiking. They're too form over function IMO. The dividers don't hold gear securely, the bags are too rigid and not very comfortable for any real distance, and some of the materials can fail at critical points (like where straps attach to the bag). I've had to send 2 in that I use for weddings and I don't even carry them most of the day.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Anybody got any recs for a backpacking quilt? I have decided I loving hate sleeping bags, especially mummy bags, they're like sleeping in a drat straightjacket.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oracle posted:

Anybody got any recs for a backpacking quilt? I have decided I loving hate sleeping bags, especially mummy bags, they're like sleeping in a drat straightjacket.

Enlightened Equipment. I have a synthetic revelation as a compliment to a down bag and I generally prefer it in every way.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Oracle posted:

I have one from Enlightened Equipment that works very well. Mine is rated for 30F and handles it great. Only negative is when its real cold you don't have the 100% surround of a mummy bag and you need a hat. Can also sometimes need more upper body clothing to sleep in since its not as perfect of an enclosed thing even with it cinched tight.

Can zip it closed for the last 1.5ft section around your feet and it has an upper drawstring as well to help keep drafts off your upper body. drawback there is the only location such a cinch can work is directly in the center, so right by your face. Also the lower section using a similar drawstring so there is the slightest opening there that you WILL notice if you sleep barefoot in the cold, so stuffing something down there like a sock solves that problem well. Or get the worlds thickest wool socks like i do and only use them for sleeping.

https://enlightenedequipment.com/revelation-sleeping-quilt/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp5jA3-Wd_wIV5CzUAR2VkQc5EAQYASABEgJ7MPD_BwE

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 30, 2023

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

xzzy posted:

That's a pretty big topic, unfortunately so without knowing what you do/don't like it's all guesses. If you want a frame pack look at shimoda or atlas. If you want a standard frame pack you can adapt anything to be camera friendly, the only feature you might want to insist on is a back opening (the side with the shoulder straps). Mammut makes some decent packs with that option.

If you want something in the smaller day hike territory it's an even bigger topic.. provide more details on what features you like and people can probably make suggestions.

Bottom Liner posted:

Day hikes or overnighters+? For day hikes, the Flipside trek line from Lowepro is solid and holds various gear really well (camera and not). For real backpacking trips, the best move is to get a dedicated camera insert/cube and pack it in a normal backpacking bag (along with a dry bag if you don't have a full bag liner). On the high end, Shimoda make nice stuff if you want to drop many hundreds.

https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP37...c7-93deae8f9840

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Camera+cube&crid=37GQHTHFZSVGX&sprefix=camera+cub%2Caps%2C168&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Definitely not for hiking. They're too form over function IMO. The dividers don't hold gear securely, the bags are too rigid and not very comfortable for any real distance, and some of the materials can fail at critical points (like where straps attach to the bag). I've had to send 2 in that I use for weddings and I don't even carry them most of the day.

Ah yes sorry, it would be for day hikes.The photosport/lowepro bags look like exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the recommendations! :cheers:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oracle posted:

I love my Warbonnet DiamondBack and LocoLibre quilts. High dollar but worth every penny.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Oracle posted:

We had zpacks make us some.

A while I read that the Lululemon ABC joggers were the secret sauce for backpacking, I didn’t realize yoga pants (joggers) could cost $120

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hammock Gear also makes pretty good quilts. I would add ~8F to their stated temperature ratings though, so don't be afraid to spring for some extra stuffing.

But as always night time comfort is super subjective.

The Kenosha Kid
Sep 15, 2007

You never did.

Oracle posted:

Big fan of my feathered friends flicker 20°. I keep it completely unzipped and use it as a blanket most of the time.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Hi hiking thread. I was hoping someone might be able to recommend a good camelback type of pack. I'm looking for around 2-4 liters/quarts and hoping to keep it under $50 if possible, but I rather buy once cry once if that's the case. Use will be daily 5k hikes, and some longer 10 mile hikes a few times a month. I'm not huge on aesthetics, but I would prefer something not black (super hot here) or tacticool, bright happy colors would be welcome.

Also, geeze asking for a lot here, wondering if anyone can recommend a good boot as my current Colombia ones are starting to show their age. I prefer a boot to trail running shoe, even when I do some jogging. Ankle support is important to me and durability (of course). Trails here are mostly dirt, shale, limestone and sandstone if that helps anything. We have a few small local hiking shops I could go try on boots at, I suppose.

I have an REI account already, so that's fair game too, Thanks!

Aragosta fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 4, 2023

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

REI has osprey hydration packs on sale currently. Osprey stuff is great so just pick out whichever size you need. I'd go with the 7l pack for water and essentials for day hikes

https://www.rei.com/product/221603/osprey-katari-7-hydration-pack-mens

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Oh, that's nice. I might pull the trigger on it. Thank you.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If you're larger bodied ultimate direction fits the best ime but a little more pricey

https://ultimatedirection.com/ultra-vest-6-0/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bottom Liner posted:

REI has osprey hydration packs on sale currently. Osprey stuff is great so just pick out whichever size you need. I'd go with the 7l pack for water and essentials for day hikes

I read this as having a 7 liter reservoir and I was like drat!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

I read this as having a 7 liter reservoir and I was like drat!

It's a weighted backpack you can drink when it gets too heavy.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I did a desert backpacking trip last weekend and I would kill for a 7L water bladder tbh

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
That vest is cool too and I am a bigger person 6'5", 215 lb, 44" chest and 38" waist currently. It's a bit out of my range for now though.

I do like to carry a few extra bottles though, for weight and Incase you run across anyone in distress. A lot of tourists around here underestimate the heat it seems.

I pulled the trigger on the pack. It looks about right for what I need right now and a good price, thanks again.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I definitely miss being able to head out on a trip with naught but a 26oz bottle and a filter, knowing i was never more than 30 mins away from some form of fresh water.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
It's been a while since I wore boots but my last pair was the Vasque St Elias. They were rock solid and held up under some brutal conditions.

I have no idea what's the popular boot these days so you're probably better off just going to a store and trying some on, then reading some reviews online to see if they hold up.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Keen targhees seem like the golden basic boot standard these days. Not long lasting though

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Merrell Moabs and Solomon quest boots are also pretty standard boot recommendations. I feel like my Solomon's will last much longer than my Moabs ever did. They feel a little more robust and sit higher on the ankle.

That said it all depends on your foot. Go try whatever you can in person.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has anyone thru-hiked the Enchantments in Washington in a day? I might do it this year. I really want to see the Core Enchantments but it sounds really, really hard and painful. Curious of others' experiences tackling this madness.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Bottom Liner posted:

FYI the same pack is currently $49.50 on osprey's website: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/katari-7-KATARI7.html

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Has anyone thru-hiked the Enchantments in Washington in a day? I might do it this year. I really want to see the Core Enchantments but it sounds really, really hard and painful. Curious of others' experiences tackling this madness.

I haven't through hiked it but I've done Lake Stuart to Core zone and back in a day which is ~ 15 miles and a bunch of vert/gain. The day before we had scrambled up the ridge between Stuart and Eightmile. Probably not the best idea the day before a massive hike to the core zone. It was pretty brutal and I was in pretty good shape then. I was with two buddies and we left around 8am to day hike up to the core zone. We got up to the core zone about an hour before sundown. I don't think we got back to camp at lake stuart until 1-2am. We ran out of food/snacks for the day and were starving. One of my buddies sprained his ankle going to the shitter before we left so he was hobbling all day and the other was a slow hiker. My body went into auto pilot once we hit colchuck and felt like I could've kept going forever.

Ive heard the through hike is pretty daunting (19 miles? and 4500 gain), plan to use up the whole day from sun up to sun down but you'll see great stuff. If I remember correctly, the upper zone doesn't really melt out until mid july etc.

If I were chosing a direction, I would start at at colchuck and go to towards snow lakes. I would rather go up aasgard earlier vs going down it after a bunch of miles. I think the snow lake route is gentler going down, but not much. I would try to start very early in the dark as the trail going to colchuck is pretty easy. This will give you the most daylight while up there and going down and out.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Verman posted:

I haven't through hiked it but I've done Lake Stuart to Core zone and back in a day which is ~ 15 miles and a bunch of vert/gain. The day before we had scrambled up the ridge between Stuart and Eightmile. Probably not the best idea the day before a massive hike to the core zone. It was pretty brutal and I was in pretty good shape then. I was with two buddies and we left around 8am to day hike up to the core zone. We got up to the core zone about an hour before sundown. I don't think we got back to camp at lake stuart until 1-2am. We ran out of food/snacks for the day and were starving. One of my buddies sprained his ankle going to the shitter before we left so he was hobbling all day and the other was a slow hiker. My body went into auto pilot once we hit colchuck and felt like I could've kept going forever.

Ive heard the through hike is pretty daunting (19 miles? and 4500 gain), plan to use up the whole day from sun up to sun down but you'll see great stuff. If I remember correctly, the upper zone doesn't really melt out until mid july etc.

If I were chosing a direction, I would start at at colchuck and go to towards snow lakes. I would rather go up aasgard earlier vs going down it after a bunch of miles. I think the snow lake route is gentler going down, but not much. I would try to start very early in the dark as the trail going to colchuck is pretty easy. This will give you the most daylight while up there and going down and out.

In addition to going up Aasgard Pass rather than down, Colchuck trailhead is significantly higher in elevation than Snow Lakes. Going Colchuck to Snow Lakes is generally more downhill than the opposite direction (relatively speaking).

When we camped at Snow Lakes, we saw quite a few groups passing by heading out towards the trailhead well after dark. From the overhead conversations it seems that many of them didn't plan for that or were a bit demoralized by not beating the sun. Bring a headlamp and extra batteries, start early. Having said that, once you hit Snow Lakes it's a pretty non- technical trail. There are worse trails to hike in the dark.

There is plenty of water at almost all points along the trail (especially in the Core), so I'd pack a filter and not worry about carrying too much.

Edit: I should add that I have never through hiked the loop either. I've only been to Snow Lakes and the Core. I've considered doing the loop in a day in the future though, so I'd love to hear a trip report if you end up going for it.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
At 2 miles an hour it seems like it could be done in 12-13 hours including time for breaks. Good footwear will probably be your best friend on a hike that long, the rest just being taking breaks when you need it and being fit enough (mentally and physically) to not shut down when poo poo starts getting exhausting.