Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter really seems to think she can argue her way around kicking her brother in the head being his fault.

Can’t hurt to try right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Potty training day 1 is over. went ok I think? She peed on the floor in a bunch, went in the potty once during the day, and then like 4 times in a row before bed time. We don’t know if she was just excited she did it and wanted to sit on it over and over again or was trying to delay bedtime or what. Hopefully tomorrow shows more improvement!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Potty training here has been awful. 2 days, absolutely nothing in the potty, 3 pees on the floor. I can tell he is holding it in :(

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

My wife is away in work for 3 weeks. We've made it through one week, including the last day of school, and I had fun plans for the long weekend, it was going to be great. But (of course this didn't work out) school decided to send one last gift home with the kids! One of them has been rocking a fever for the last 24 hours (it goes down with medicine), and then the other two got it.

I had planned to get them out of the house, having fun dad time. Now we're all inside, all the of them are cranky, and I'm losing my mind. I'm just waiting for my fever to start...

So I'm laying here at 1:30 am, having given ibuprofen, waiting for their temp to drop so maybe I can get some sleep, instead of anxiety keeping me awake.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I feel you. My wife just jetted out for a week and mine is crusty boogers, I saw that anime snot bubble thing for the first time in real life today. Thoughts and prayers

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I bought these roughly last year

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089R6HWTF

A set of flash cards

At 2.5 she will grab the deck out of your hand and play "let's review colors and shapes" - direct quote. She knows all of them. She struggles with counting* and the word cylinder* but otherwise she gets them all - even robot and rocket

Looking for the next step up. Do we go to alphabet and words?

We were at the hardware store and in the aisle with stick on letters and numbers (separate) "what are these?" "Those are numbers" "what are these?" "Those are letters". That was almost a month ago. Clearly she's catching on

Ok so she knows the difference, uh, what next. I thought this would be an age 4 thing

What do you advise next? Start with letters and then go to words?

*Although she can count to ten in English and Spanish, but that's probably memorization

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
^^ that happened with lil bee at roughly the same age. She just really got a kick out of them, I guess. We just kept using more complex flash cards and eventually she started pointing at random words on signs outside and being able to read them aloud.

We used ones like this with the word and the picture: https://www.amazon.com/Learning-Tod...2dDbGljaz10cnVl

bee fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 29, 2023

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

My 2.5 year old can count to ten too. She’s started holding up the correct number of fingers when counting to five. And the other day she brought me her numbered duplo blocks and correctly told me what numbers they were most of the time.

She knows a bunch of letters too, so I’m trying to teach her to read by looking at street signs, since she’ll point to the stop sign a lot and say, “Top!”

Currently her favourite thing to spell is Blippi. “B O I B B I, Bippi! Good job! See you amorrow!”

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Welp, wife is a week overdue so today we head in to begin prep for induction, with planned induction tomorrow!

Our first is almost 4 so it seems like the infant days are so long ago, but hoping for some smooth sailing and that it mostly comes back quickly. Looking forward to posting again from the 4/8/12/16 month sleep regressions zones!!!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crazyweasel posted:

Welp, wife is a week overdue so today we head in to begin prep for induction, with planned induction tomorrow!

Good luck! Our little one did not want to come out despite increasingly powerful attempts to induce labour so in the end it had to be a caesarian instead. Born at 42+1 technically!

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

killer crane posted:

My wife is away in work for 3 weeks.

So I'm laying here at 1:30 am, having given ibuprofen, waiting for their temp to drop so maybe I can get some sleep, instead of anxiety keeping me awake.

At 8AM I started throwing up, and puked every hour for 6 hours. Youngest daughter still has fever... Fml.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Our 2 year old threw up 3 times last night, we were running out of blankets and were on 4th string stuffed animals. Not sure what we would have done if there had been a 4th incident :ohdear:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's fascinating that they always develop that stuffie hierarchy

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Jose Valasquez posted:

Our 2 year old threw up 3 times last night, we were running out of blankets and were on 4th string stuffed animals. Not sure what we would have done if there had been a 4th incident :ohdear:

Honey this is your new best friend, Vomit The Bear.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
We just buy multiple copies of first stringers

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

nachos posted:

We did this once, and then my oldest decided she's rather have a hand-me-down stuffy that's been discontinued by the manufacturer as her favorite. All 3 of them choose a hand-me-down, or garage sale stuffy as their first stinger. Kids always find a way to ruin plans like that.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

killer crane posted:

At 8AM I started throwing up, and puked every hour for 6 hours. Youngest daughter still has fever... Fml.

God bless my mom. She came to visit around lunch time, and let me take a huge nap. I still feel like dookie, but my mother is a saint for dealing with all three kids while I puked and slept.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Kids came home after two and a half days with their dad, we were playing in the back yard and my daughter screamed “LOOK AT THAT STUPID loving SQUIRREL!” She’s never said the F word before. I told her it wasn’t a nice word, but later she told me to “let go of the loving swing.”

I am so very, very tired of doing damage control after every visit with their dad.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nachos posted:

My son started with a stuffed bunny blanket that is no longer made, my wife found a similar elephant blanket to keep as an emergency backup, but he saw it and so then he had Bunny and Ellie.

My wife bought a second Ellie to keep as a backup and he saw it, so now he has Bunny and Ellie and Second Ellie.

He has played us for fools

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My kids mainly have plastic toys and blankets in their beds right now so fortunately we can just wipe them down pretty good or throw the blankets in the washer when they puke on them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Ours has Bear. He has no knowledge that daycare bear and Montessori bear and home bear and travel bear are all discrete individuals. It's wonderful.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Some of the most athletic moments of my life involved scrambling to distract my then 18 month old before she opened the secret hiding spot for backup first string elephants. Mother lifting car to save child energy

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
My almost-3-year-old has had a brace on for a fractured wrist for about a week now. The first week was smooth but the novelty has worn off and now he's back to trying to climb poo poo while asking to take the brace off.

Yesterday he saw a younger kid climbing a ladder and fuckin lost it when I said he couldn't do the same :(

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Our 2.5 year old definitely had too much fun and too much sun this weekend. Lesson learned, she is wiped out and we should absolutely have paced ourselves a bit better. Birthday into carnival into parade into splash pad over the last few days.

It’s definitely a little frustrating that I am always the one trying to caution for sticking to a schedule or otherwise being responsible about activity levels, while my wife is protective of her family time, and the time our daughter gets to spend with her cousins.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Progress update on potty training:
She went the whole weekend using underwear. No accidents. She’s still withholding pooping until she gets into her pull-ups for night-time (looks like a comfort thing) even though she was eager to use the potty when she had some tummy troubles a couple of weeks ago. Shipping her of to preschool with backup clothes and being grateful for teachers there that are more than willing to enforce the potty training protocol.

Fingers crossed. We might actually pull it off.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yesterday (I typed this 4 days ago, it was in my drafts) we were able to catch the toddler prepoop and carry him over the toilet before the nugget dropped. It was delayed, but once he realized that's what we were trying to do all these months it clicked for him. He shouted "I did it!". Still... Whole weekend was not a potty weekend. In-laws came in so that slice of time got stuffed for Kite flying and brunch.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Good luck! Our little one did not want to come out despite increasingly powerful attempts to induce labour so in the end it had to be a caesarian instead. Born at 42+1 technically!

Similar, regular nurse couldn't get the petosin in. Other nurse couldn't get the petosin in. They had to go out to the hallway and get the strong nurse on shift, fuckin 6'3" viking lady had to pry open my wife's hoohaa because we were 48 hours into the induction and made no progress in loosening up.

Best of luck on induction, bring two cellphone chargers and the long cords.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

space uncle posted:

At least it will never happen again now that the child is here. A self correcting mistake.

Had a fun Friday - our only neurology appointment was during the time we had tickets to fly to Chicago for a week of vacation. So had to push flights from the morning to the evening and pay the change fee. The appointment ended at 9:30 AM in the same city as our flight out at 7:30 PM, which was an hour and a half away from home. So just long enough where we figure it’s not worth it to drive back and we will hang out there all day.

Edit: neurology said he’s low risk but to bring him back for 4 hour EEG to figure out if his brain is normal. So we got that to look forward to.

At noon the kid starts running a low grade fever, which given my previous post about Hand Foot and Mouth exposure gets us concerned. We had to try and figure out if we should cancel our week long trip and stay home, if we will be superspreaders of HFM on an airplane?, or if he will simply recover from the fever within 24 hours and be perfectly fine the next day like the last two random fevers.

Game time decision. We figured that having a sick kid sucks regardless of if you are home or if you are away. We decided to go for it and made the incredibly fun and stupid decision to take a sick child to an airport, stick them on a 3 hour flight, keep them up 4 hours past their bedtime, and then sleep in the same room as them. He slept nearly the entire flight fortunately.

With several doses of ibuprofen later - he is currently fever free so far today and in a great mood. Will see if this holds until our Cubs game tomorrow. No sores yet.

The sores appeared during the 5th inning of the baseball game. Jesus Christ.

Fortunately he seems to have a mild case and they aren’t really bothering him. He ate a whole hotdog and loved the 7th inning stretch and the home runs.

Unfortunately now my wife is getting sick too so this vacation is rapidly turning into watching TV on the couch while ordering Instacart. Which to be honest is what we would have done at home, so I think the original decision to come was mostly sound.

Made it to the Lincoln Park Zoo at least. We’re trying to stay in outdoor areas and not become superspreaders.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Stolen from the schadenfreude thread:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Lmao

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

lol that video

The Perfect Stroller is basically my white whale of kid gear.

We use our stroller(s) a ton, way more than our car, and there is nothing perfect on the market, despite what the sponsored content momblogs say.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The V2 UPPAbaby strollers are pretty fantastic, hydroformed aluminum frame, oversize wheels, extra wide track. What don't you like about them? We got the Vista while my buddy who lives in Colombia got the Cruz as they have pretty narrow sidewalks and it's quite a lot more narrow

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

UPPABaby Minu V2 here. I love it, though we have't used it in almost a year now.

I think I got the suggestion from here:
https://www.youtube.com/@BarnevognverkstedNo
https://www.patreon.com/thestrollerworkshop

I subscribed for a month to get their review/comparison PDF. It was the only place where I could find really comprehensive reviews.
We needed something that will work on rougher terrain, will fit me as I'm over 6ft tall, and folds small to ease air travel.
One of the best spent $5 ever.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Hadlock posted:

The V2 UPPAbaby strollers are pretty fantastic, hydroformed aluminum frame, oversize wheels, extra wide track. What don't you like about them? We got the Vista while my buddy who lives in Colombia got the Cruz as they have pretty narrow sidewalks and it's quite a lot more narrow

The UPPAbaby was otherwise great but conflicted with one major personal constraint- whenever we use the stroller we have to carry it down 7 steps. The used UPPAbaby Vista we tried (and eventually resold at cost!) was very difficult for me to carry safely down the stairs- large and no good crossbar to carry it by. We used it through the bassinet stage but it was too unwieldy for a daily.

We did end up putting a ton of miles on a Bugaboo Lynx (plus toddler board). It recently went into storage because it took up an ungodly amount of room and the kids don’t need as much Stroller, but it was a workhorse similar to the Vista and Cruz. The footprint and folding mechanism sucked though.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I have the uppababy cruz and it's been fine except the rubber on the wheels seems to erode in no time. I've replaced the set once already and it's looking like I'll need to do it once more before kiddo has outgrown it

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Ooh- before we had our second, we used a Colugo Compact most of the time. It was really good 90% of the time and folded up ~so small~, but the harness buckle was The Worst and could not be reliably fastened on a mad toddler.

I looked at the Minu V2 and it probably would have been a better choice than the Colugo. It’s too bad you can’t pop a UB boogie board onto them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ah yeah I've only used it with roll in roll out operation. My mother in law's house has a single step

Edit: I've never heard of this rubber problem before. Do you store it outside in the sun or something

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 30, 2023

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

We got the Nuna Triv Next and it's pretty nice, but the baby is only 1 month old so I guess we'll see how I feel in a year. Takes me about 30 seconds to get the stroller out, unfold it, and move the seat from the car to the stroller. We considered the Trvl but it felt kinda flimsy, and we just plain didn't like the Tavo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Hadlock posted:

Edit: I've never heard of this rubber problem before. Do you store it outside in the sun or something

nope, lives in the hallway at home and we live city center so it's only pushed around on paved surfaces and the grass at the park. the wheels were replaced free first time round, their customer service said 'shimmying(?)' was a known issue on some of the V1 types which can cause uneven wear.

I also managed to break the little plastic clip that holds it closed when stowed on day 1 so it never stayed shut unless you laid it down

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
We got the Joovy Qool, that thing is a tank. Not a compact fold AT ALL, but manages to fit in the back of a mid-size sedan nevertheless. Vista was a no-go as the toddler seat only goes to 35lbs, and the then-2.5yo was already north of 30 when baby bro was born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Potty training is coming up soon for us and I am dreading it.

We're going to take the "devote a full weekend with no diapers and lots of toilet time" approach I guess. Not looking forward to cleaning up a lot of pee and poop off the floor. But we've been doing cloth diapers for a while that you have to spray anyway so maybe my poop tolerance is high enough to handle it.