Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neeksy posted:

Katzenberg used to have some decent instincts, such as being the guy to shield Who Framed Roger Rabbit from executive interference.

What would have happened to Roger Rabbit if the execs got their way? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Electric Phantasm posted:

He'd have been censored.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The biggest thing Katzenberg definitively got wrong was the Black Cauldron, but he was new to animation and the movie had been stewing in development hell, so it was never going to turn out very well.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Maybe scaled back a lot since it was going way over budget.

I feel like I'm not much of a fan of Roger Rabbit. I know why it was important and led to a number of other things that I like, but it relies really heavily on cargo-culting classical theatrical shorts without necessarily understanding what it's doing, which bugs me a lot when I revisit the things that followed in its wake.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

The biggest thing Katzenberg definitively got wrong was the Black Cauldron, but he was new to animation and the movie had been stewing in development hell, so it was never going to turn out very well.

I feel like I'm not much of a fan of Roger Rabbit. I know why it was important and led to a number of other things that I like, but it relies really heavily on cargo-culting classical theatrical shorts without necessarily understanding what it's doing, which bugs me a lot when I revisit the things that followed in its wake.

The Black Cauldron certainly wasn't helped either by Eisenberg literally busting in the editing room with a pair of scissors and cutting who chunks of otherwise locked footage out of the film because he personally didn't think they were needed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get the impression if not for Kaztenberg we may not have had other animation characters besides Disney.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
At the time, Disney corp was actually thinking about abandoning animation altogether and go all-in on the parks. Roy Disney was extremely against this move away from animation/film; and it was Katzenberg who ran interference to let the movie get made how it needed to be made.

If Roger Rabbit flopped, it would have been bye-bye Disney animation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And that would have been a long slow death of the parks running out of things that make them any different from Six Flags. Disney's history seems to be a lot of trying to stop tight-fisted executives from strangling the golden goose.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And that would have been a long slow death of the parks running out of things that make them any different from Six Flags. Disney's history seems to be a lot of trying to stop tight-fisted executives from strangling the golden goose.

Disney as a company is basically one large fight between the creatives and the money people

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Disney's history seems to be a lot of trying to stop tight-fisted executives from strangling the golden goose.
The 80s renaissance is what let them get away from dying due to inaction over °•☆Walt's Vision☆•°

Also the concurrent focus on SatAM shows, and the creation of The Disney Afternoon, really helped its cultural cachet and draw with kids.

But yeah, Eisner was sharpening his axe and going after animation. Had the whole dept moved to a warehouse in Glendale. Then Mermaid happened and they were the talk of the town.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

just wanted to chime in to once again remind people that Jellystone rules. some of the changes they made compared to the originals were a little weird, but overall the show is great and way better than i expected it to be

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
My sister who is a cna had particular love for the Yogi and friends doctor episodes because as insane as there were, she felt like someone writing them had actual experience.
"We are triage Boo Boo, time to pick winners and losers"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/blameitonjorge/status/1657897618180313088?s=20

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching the new Muppets Mayhem show and not gonna lie, I was feeling that Desiigner Rockin’ Robin remix.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I got around to watching Transformers: Earthspark. It's good stuff! It's very much children's cartoon but tries to present things in emotionally mature and healthy ways. Like, one of the healthiest families on TV has giant robot children. Also, many decepticons are portrayed sympathetically and the conflict is less about good robots vs bad robots and more about robots vs human discrimination.

Great action, too, probably the best animated action scenes in transformers cartoon history.
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rlds8b1Thy1vfymiy_720.mp4

There was the backlash about one character being nonbinary which naturally means the show is "too woke" for some. Seems to be a vocal minority, the show has been otherwise well received.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
YO I enjoyed it quite a bit too, can't wait for more. I'm actually going back and watching Prime for the first time in order to get my fix-definitely more serious and plot-focused, but it's still a good time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Junpei posted:

YO I enjoyed it quite a bit too, can't wait for more. I'm actually going back and watching Prime for the first time in order to get my fix-definitely more serious and plot-focused, but it's still a good time.

Yeah, Prime's a lot of fun. I got to meet Sumalee Montano who played Arcee and she was very nice. It was also good Arcee was my favorite character in an iteration of the franchise because I never thought that would happen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I found TF Prime extremely dull. It has all the signifiers of good tv but nearly none of the substance.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Twibbit posted:

My sister who is a cna had particular love for the Yogi and friends doctor episodes because as insane as there were, she felt like someone writing them had actual experience.
"We are triage Boo Boo, time to pick winners and losers"

was watching the first episode again and boo boo handing an old lady a $10k medical bill for removing Augie Doggie's annoying daughter still gives me a good chuckle

so, are animated shows effected by the writer's strike too? or does the WGA not cover that area?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Some are affected, and others not. A lot of animation stuff is considered a separate union.
Family Guy/American Dad, for example, are shut down with McFarlane supporting the strike.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I saw that Ben Schwartz (Randy Cunningham, 9th Grade Ninja, Dewey from the Ducktales reboot, Leonardo in Rise of the TMNT, movie Sonic) supported it too as well

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Is Schwartz also a producer? I just assumed he was VO only.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Misread, I don't think he's striking, he's just supportive of it

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's not a big miss, SAG-AFTRA is about to vote on a strike after 37 years.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Today marks the 10-year anniversary of the original online release of the Steven Universe, Clarence, and OK KO pilots (plus a few others that didn't become shows)

Over the Garden Wall's pilot was also produced in said batch but was screened at film festivals instead

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Neeksy posted:

It's not a big miss, SAG-AFTRA is about to vote on a strike after 37 years.

We can probably thank that amazingly well-timed ad 'starring' a deepfake of Ryan Reynolds as the breaking point.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dawgstar posted:

We can probably thank that amazingly well-timed ad 'starring' a deepfake of Ryan Reynolds as the breaking point.

That ad is 100% gonna be a talking point at SAG's negotiation.

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Anyone else remember Codename: Kids Next Door? Man, that was a good show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/TMNTMovie/status/1660993996464984064

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The gremlins cartoon is on max.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Danny Phantom is coming back in graphic novel form this July:

https://nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/Danny_Phantom:_A_Glitch_in_Time

Phat Phingers
May 27, 2023

Ey Frito-Lay! FUH Q MANG!

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Danny Phantom is coming back in graphic novel form this July:

https://nickelodeon.fandom.com/wiki/Danny_Phantom:_A_Glitch_in_Time

Butch isn't writing it? seems like a missed opportunity.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Phat Phingers posted:

Butch isn't writing it? seems like a missed opportunity.
…how much do you know about Butch?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neeksy posted:

…how much do you know about Butch?

In my case, nothing (I only just watched DP for the first time fairly recently). Is he a John K level rear end in a top hat or something?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

About that level, yeah.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
He's a typical conservative Christian rear end in a top hat, has been involved in multiple questionable grifts, and makes hilariously bad twitter commissions.

https://twitter.com/realhartman/status/1004459941074231297

He's also neither the main writer nor character designer for Danny Phantom IIRC so literally the best aspects of the show weren't from him.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
First of all, where the gently caress is Steven's jacket? Secondly, why the hell does he have what looks like an Infinity Gauntlet? Also just the tone of the image is totally off.

mystes
May 31, 2006

That's Stephen Universe after he has transformed into the Incredible Sulk

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mycot posted:

He's a typical conservative Christian rear end in a top hat, has been involved in multiple questionable grifts, and makes hilariously bad twitter commissions.

https://twitter.com/realhartman/status/1004459941074231297

He's also neither the main writer nor character designer for Danny Phantom IIRC so literally the best aspects of the show weren't from him.

Good to know, is any of the show staff involved with the upcoming comic then?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mycot posted:

Didn't it come out he traced a lot of his commissions, too? Like just took somebody's art and gave them Butch Hartman faces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
https://www.insider.com/butch-hartman-accused-plagiarizing-commission-art-mikasa-drawing-trace-ackerman-2021-2

yeah, he ripped of some Fan Art for his $200 dollar commissions.

I mean, I don't know if I'd put him in John K level. As far as I know, he never lured 16 year olds to live in his house, be his girlfriend and work on his shows.

He's just a scammy prick, who mostly takes credit for of Steven Silver's character design work.