Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WoodrowSkillson posted:

he could have made more money though by not destroying the company that was so bad with cash that it was paying for every person on the roster to fly to every show even if they were not on the those shows or even actively wrestling

I wonder which WCW wrestler had the longest time on the roster being flown to every show and despite being healthy was given nothing to do but still got a paycheck. Gotta be a few dozen who did that for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I know they had Lanny Poffo under contract unused forever but I’m not sure if he was being flown out or sitting at home

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
when you think about it kevin nash burying goldberg meant less people were in danger of being maimed by goldberg he's a hero

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

TheSwizzler posted:

I know they had Lanny Poffo under contract unused forever but I’m not sure if he was being flown out or sitting at home

they were buying him, and everyone else under contract, tickets for every flight. Like they just determined there were X number of wrestlers so they bought X number of tickets and never bothered to see if the seats had people in them.

Literally A Person posted:

Goldberg sucked so hard I can only think of his career being ruined as a boon to all wrasslin

he did suck but for good or ill he was the best thing they had going at the time and ending his push did not help anyone.

the book The Rise and Fall of WCW rules and it is staggering how utterly stupid the company was from top to bottom, and how they managed to gently caress up a good thing via sheer incompetence

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when you think about it kevin nash burying goldberg meant less people were in danger of being maimed by goldberg he's a hero

When you think about how many wrestlers Goldberg has injured, and how many Gillberg has injured, it makes you wonder who's the real wrestling legend?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the book The Rise and Fall of WCW rules and it is staggering how utterly stupid the company was from top to bottom, and how they managed to gently caress up a good thing via sheer incompetence

Oh yeah that book is a must read. So many delightful WCW screwups, especially the charming little ones like paying for newspaper ad space for events that already happened. I like how despite the wastefulness, Ted Turner messing around with WCW was like a percent of a percent of a percent of the $99 billion AOL Time Warner loss that finally took down WCW.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

Deki posted:

When you think about how many wrestlers Goldberg has injured, and how many Gillberg has injured, it makes you wonder who's the real wrestling legend?

Goldberg delivered some legendary injuries.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Benoit (may his bones be crushed)

Do you (or anyone else who wants to chime in) have similar feelings towards Verne Gagne?

For anyone not familiar, Verne had Alzheimer's and dementia. He choked out a 97-year-old man in the nursing home they both lived in, and later bodyslammed the same guy to death.

Is it different because Benoit killed multiple people, or because his victims weren't 97 years old but instead were a 40-something woman and a young child?

Both benoit and verne killed people in a fit of dementia. Does it matter that one was caused by Alzheimer's and one by CTE?

I wonder because while we mention benoit often, i never see discussion of verne gagne.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

titties posted:

Do you (or anyone else who wants to chime in) have similar feelings towards Verne Gagne?

For anyone not familiar, Verne had Alzheimer's and dementia. He choked out a 97-year-old man in the nursing home they both lived in, and later bodyslammed the same guy to death.

Is it different because Benoit killed multiple people, or because his victims weren't 97 years old but instead were a 40-something woman and a young child?

Both benoit and verne killed people in a fit of dementia. Does it matter that one was caused by Alzheimer's and one by CTE?

I wonder because while we mention benoit often, i never see discussion of verne gagne.

I don't think there's a lot Verne could have done differently in his life to prevent him having Alzheimer's at 83 or whatever.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't think most people know about Verne Gagne period.

Beyond that, yes I think the context is different. He attacked the guy in a fit of dementia but he died because he was elderly. Gagne didn't inject him with Xanax and strangle him in his sleep. Also at the time of the Benoit murders, CTE was not well known. So I think the initial reaction was more "wow this guy went nuts on steroids and drugs" but there I am hazy because I wasn't really following wrestling then, although somehow I managed to tune into the tribute show.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I don't think most people know about Verne Gagne period.

This.

Dude was before most of our times.

titties
May 10, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

I don't think there's a lot Verne could have done differently in his life to prevent him having Alzheimer's at 83 or whatever.

That's fair but given that people only really started discussing CTE after benoit and those football players that murdered their girlfriends or whatever, i doubt that benoit would have had the foresight to predict this particular outcome.

I'm not trying to cheerlead for benoit, it just seems to me that his extreme brain damage is often handwaved.

However, I either didn't know or forgot that he drugged them up beforehand which really does make it more hosed up imo.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Benoit was clearly nuts even before he committed the murders, CTE or no CTE. As has been mentioned before, other wrestlers talked about how he only ever wanted to talk about wrestling, which would be like if you were an accountant and one of your fellow accountants only ever wanted to talk about crunching numbers when you hung out together after work: weird at best, off-putting at worst. Additionally, Nancy had already tried to leave him once before, and was in the process of preparing to leave him for good when the murders were committed; and as the facts began to come out, it was plainly evident that Benoit had enough presence of mind to plan aspects of the crimes out beforehand. That's a world of difference from Verne having a dementia-addled fight with another elderly man in the same nursing home, and Verne certainly didn't have the presence of mind to know that he was potentially going to injure or kill him.

E: just the simple fact that he called his WWE bosses and told them a story about not being able to make a PPV because his family was all sick and vomiting from food poisoning, when they were already dead in the same house he was calling from, should be all the proof anyone needs to know he didn't commit those murders in a "fit of dementia". He knew exactly what the gently caress he was doing.

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 30, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Whatever you do, don't tell New Jack Benoit did it because of CTE

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

TheSwizzler posted:

He truly was the genius.

I'm not saying its good, but I've heard that fights between old people in nursing homes isn't particularly uncommon, whether is alzheimer's related or whatever.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Whatever you do, don't tell New Jack Benoit did it because of CTE

I don't think that's going to be a problem.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If it lasts until, say, 2026 someone in XPW will have this name and gimmick

titties
May 10, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Benoit was clearly nuts even before he committed the murders, CTE or no CTE.

I know that he was definitely not ok for a long time, but i really forgot a lot of important details about the case.

In my mind both incidents had boiled down to "hosed up brain, did a murder". I remembered that they definitely weren't equivalent to one another but they are a lot less similar than i thought.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

We still don't fully know how CTE affects people, but it seems clear it's different from case to case and amplifies whatever mental illness you already have. If it were just CTE that made you violent, someone like Foley would be a serial killer instead of just really into Christmas.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

titties posted:

world of difference

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
benoit was already an rear end in a top hat before CTE it may have aggravated his condition but many people with CTE dont wind up killing their family over it benoit was the perfect storm of brain damage, steroid abuse, and personal demons that led to tragedy

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
Honestly, I'm just glad that none of the "Benoit was framed" loons still out there in the world are posting here

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

titties posted:

I know that he was definitely not ok for a long time, but i really forgot a lot of important details about the case.

In my mind both incidents had boiled down to "hosed up brain, did a murder". I remembered that they definitely weren't equivalent to one another but they are a lot less similar than i thought.

Yeah, they're completely dissimilar. Verne's situation would technically be something like involuntary manslaughter: he had diminished capacity and wasn't capable of realizing what he had done, and indeed probably didn't even realize he'd injured the other guy so bad that it would wind up killing him a few days later.

On the other hand, as mentioned before, there is plenty of evidence showing that at least some aspects of Benoit's murders were planned out beforehand. Additionally, it should be remembered that Benoit's brain was basically soup by the time police discovered his body, and that the organization that studied what was left of his brain said that while it was pretty evident he had CTE and that the amount of brain damage he had could be responsible for what they termed as "aberrant behaviors", they couldn't conclusively say that it would have been the sole cause of the murders and his subsequent suicide, nor could they explain why Benoit was otherwise able to function in society if his brain was basically that of an Alzheimer's patient in their 80s (like Verne). It seems like the CTE just basically amplified or removed whatever barriers he might have had, in terms of any underlying mental problems he may have had by the time he decided to kill his family.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

im saint germain posted:

"Benoit was framed" loons

Wait stop. Hold on. Was this seriously a thing?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

im saint germain posted:

Honestly, I'm just glad that none of the "Benoit was framed" loons still out there in the world are posting here

Wasn't that just paradol ex?

quote:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about professional wrestling, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about the death of Chris Benoit, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about the WWE's future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Chris Benoit. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----

Chris Benoit is a murderer. He killed his wife and child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Chris Benoit. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about wrestling and the bastards involved in it, you could always muffin out Chris Benoit as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could muffin to as a true professional who honored the sport he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to professional wrestling without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock in another sport or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he wanted to be a movie star or because he saw wrestling as a means to an end. He was in it for professional wrestling. He was dedicated to being the best professional wrestler he could be, and it showed in the ring.

I wanted to be a professional wrestler since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in San Antonio when I was on the phone to my girlfriend a thousand miles away and finally admitted to myself and to her that coming to Texas to be a wrestler had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not athletically or charismatically talented enough to be a professional wrestler was one of the worst moments of my life. The business glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Chris Benoit in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be a WWE champion. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a third generation wrestler. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest professional wrestlers in history. By 40 years-old.

Chris Benoit was only forty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the sport could end his life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like MVP, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their voice in the ring, and that that same man could strangle his wife and child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Nancy, and not for their child.

Chris Benoit owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Mondays and Fridays are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Chris Benoit is dead. And he died a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Chris Benoit was a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 31, 2023

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
In (even) stupider parts of the internet, there are conspiracy theorists who says Benoit was straight-up innocent, murdered along with his family by someone else entirely. I don't feel like going down that particular incredulous rabbit hole tonight, but cursory googling will reveal at least some of the folks still pushing the idea to this day

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Wait stop. Hold on. Was this seriously a thing?

some people believe that vince mcmahon had chris benoit and his family personally murdered for some evil vince reason

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if vince wants you dead he will just make you do dangerous stunts or do steroids until your heart explodes he's not going to hire a hitman to do it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
there is a large group of wrestling fans that still want chris benoit inducted into the WWE hall of fame not that the hall of fame has integrity to begin with jimmy snuka and donald trump are in it but even vince knows that having a man who murdered his whole family inducted into his hall of fame is a stupid idea

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The big (and absolutely idiotic) conspiracy theory was that Nancy's ex-husband Kevin Sullivan was behind it. Basically, he was married to Nancy and he was booking himself into a feud with Benoit where Nancy was into Benoit. Sullivan decided he wanted them to make it look as legit as possible to the point that they were sharing hotel rooms and poo poo, but then Nancy legitimately left Sullivan for Benoit. Oops!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There's another good book on the subject called Nitro. It adds some more details to stuff and has some different perspectives. Probably the most interesting thing about it is how the two books handle the wrestler Swoll and the No Limit Soldiers storyline in WCW.

Short version for those who don't know is that a face group called the Filthy Animals were feuding with a heel group called the West Texas Rednecks. The Filthy Animals then aligned themselves with Master P and his entourage, with Master P getting paid a shitload of money per appearance. Master P used his pull to bring in a couple gigantic friends of his, including a guy named Swoll who couldn't wrestle for poo poo, but got a massive contract. The storyline imploded for various reasons and Master P vanished after a few weeks.

Rise and Fall of WCW pointed out how silly the whole thing was and took a second to laugh at how WCW was stupid and careless enough to give someone like Swoll such a contract.

Nitro dedicated an entire chapter to it from Swoll's point of view, where he did kind of scam his way into his position (claiming he had a career in NJPW when he had like two matches in the early 90s), but watched how terribly the company was run and how much rampant drug use was going on backstage and was kind of freaked out by it. Then he lost his friendship with Master P because P was such an egomaniac that he didn't understand that "his team gets beat up one week so they can get revenge later" was a regular part of wrestling storytelling and cut ties. Swoll's time in WCW was very short, but he made the most out of it financially and felt like he escaped a dark fate if he stayed active.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if vince wants you dead he will just make you do dangerous stunts or do steroids until your heart explodes he's not going to hire a hitman to do it

I'd find it far easier to believe he intentionally killed Owen Hart than had anything to do with Benoit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Nash being able to book for himself explains how, one summer night, I channel surfed to WCW and saw an asian lady with ridonkulous fake boobs tease Nash with flashing her goods only for Big Sexy to be given a chair to the back of the head.

I swore for the longest that had to have been something I dreamt up.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Vince can't hire a hitman, none of them will work for him since he screwed the last one.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Deki posted:

I'd find it far easier to believe he intentionally killed Owen Hart than had anything to do with Benoit.

I mean, Vince was willing to try played around on Shaun Michaels's zip line, but not Owen's harness. Plus, that pratfall is so easy to do safely. Just have the cable connect to a Y, with one end having the quick release that killed Owen and the other end about a foot longer going to a proper fall arrest hook like Sting probably used every week. If the quick release is triggered early the real hook will catch Owen shortly after. If everything goes according to plan, there will be enough slack to release the real hook while pretending to fumble with the harness and then you can safely trigger the quick release to drop Owen on his face from a safe height.

But why? Vengeance for Steve Austin's neck? Which deprived Vince of years of revenue with his top star?

I still don't buy it, but we could probably get it trending on Twitter.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

some people believe that vince mcmahon had chris benoit and his family personally murdered for some evil vince reason

Kevin Sullivan, actually.

anyways Sandra Toffoloni did an interview with Chris Jericho about it years ago.
I haven't listened to it since then:

https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/talk-is-jericho-13045/episodes/inside-the-benoit-family-trage-61051814

*content warning: Chris Jericho. Oh, and discussion of a double murder/suicide I guess*

edit: oh right! The reason I posted that was for the personal 'gently caress You' from a member of Chris and Nancy's family to all the people on the internet who want to make theories about why Chris did it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
owen died because vince and russo wanted to make fun of stings entrance but didnt want to spend the money for a safer harness because it would look too fake owen died for the stupidest and pettiest reasons imaginable

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
martha hart was demonized for years for sueing the WWE and forbidding them from profiting off his likeness or allowing them to induct him into their hall of fame despite being in the right for wanting neither of those things because the company killed her husband and didnt even have the decency to stop the show so the wrestlers, all friends of owen, had to wrestle in the same ring he died in on the same night he died

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Nash being able to book for himself explains how, one summer night, I channel surfed to WCW and saw an asian lady with ridonkulous fake boobs tease Nash with flashing her goods only for Big Sexy to be given a chair to the back of the head.

I vividly remember watching raw or whatever and seeing sable hand JR a copy of the playboy issue she was in lol, that's just what wrestling was like then

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

martha hart was demonized for years for sueing the WWE and forbidding them from profiting off his likeness or allowing them to induct him into their hall of fame despite being in the right for wanting neither of those things because the company killed her husband and didnt even have the decency to stop the show so the wrestlers, all friends of owen, had to wrestle in the same ring he died in on the same night he died

*Was* demonized? She's still being demonized by the WWE fans who are pissed off she's working with AEW to honor Owen's legacy.

FilthyImp posted:

Nitro Girl Chae, probably. Her and Kevin were a thing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vandar posted:

Nitro Girl Chae, probably. Her and Kevin were a thing for a while.
I dont even remember there being Nitro Cheerleaders.

Sadly not her. And even more sadly, Wrestlecrap tells me it was a really terrible Outsiders match in which they were paired against Porn stars.