Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Morrow posted:

The thing is, that only works until you need their vote again, at which point they won't make any deal with you again.

In his defense, the "Pull the football away and then promise you won't do it again, do it again anyways" strategy works on the Dems often enough you're bound to think it'll work on other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Donald Trump has promised to end jus sanguinis (birth-right citizenship). Would Congress or the Supreme Court be able to limit it's scope, despite the constitutional language being pretty clear and concise?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nonsense posted:

Donald Trump has promised to end jus sanguinis (birth-right citizenship). Would Congress or the Supreme Court be able to limit it's scope, despite the constitutional language being pretty clear and concise?

He'd need a constitutional amendment and if he did somehow get a constitutional amendment passed, then there isn't much the Supreme Court could do if it was explicit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If he ends birthright citizenship that means that 3/4 of the states have gone trumpist and we all have way bigger problems

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nonsense posted:

Jus sanguinis or jus soli? The latter is pretty much unrestricted in all of North and South America and restricted or non-existent elsewhere, and makes anyone born in country an automatic citizen. That’s what the GOP is targeting, no?

Like by contrast, my kids are both french and russian despite never being there. Foreign parents in Russia have their kids still counting as immigrants, in France the kids can apply if they are there at 18 and have been for the majority of years 10-18. GOP definitely wants the Russia look I assume

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 30, 2023

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

He absolutely doesn't know that it would need an amendment to the constitution.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm sure there is at the very least 2 votes on the supreme court for overturning us vs. wong kim ark

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Hardcore anti-immigration conservatives insist that the constitutional language is not clear or concise, and that there are holes that could be used to end birthright citizenship. For example:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1057624553478897665

Everyone else says that's a bunch of crap. But it's the Supreme Court that decides how the Constitution is to be officially interpreted.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about this particular promise. Trump first proposed ending birthright citizenship halfway through his presidency, and then made no effort whatsoever to actually move forward with it. Given the timing on that promise (less than a week before the 2018 midterms) and the total lack of action afterwards, it was likely nothing more than an attempt to hype the base and boost GOP turnout to the polls.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rosalynn Carter has dementia. She has likely had it for a little while, but they are just making it public now. Their Grandson has said that Jimmy and Rosalyn are both likely "coming to the end" and "spending their last days" together, so it is either fairly far along or a fairly aggressive type of dementia.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1663594008147263510

quote:

Rosalynn Carter, the former first lady of the United States and wife of former President Jimmy Carter, has dementia, the Carter Center announced on Tuesday.

“The Carter family is sharing that former First Lady Rosalynn Carter has dementia. She continues to live happily at home with her husband, enjoying spring in Plains and visits with loved ones,” the center announced. Additional details about Carter, 95, were not immediately provided and the Center said it did not expect to comment further.

The Center said that, in sharing news of Carter’s diagnosis, it helped to “increase important conversations at kitchen tables and in doctor’s offices around the country.” As first lady, Carter made mental health advocacy her platform and formed a presidential commission on the matter during her time in the White House, a legacy that continues today.

President Carter, 98, began home hospice care in February after a series of short hospital stays.

At an event in Norcross, Georgia, last week honoring the former president, President Carter’s former UN ambassador, Andrew Young, described the former president to WSB-TV as being in good spirits during a visit with him last month.

“They’re coming to the end,” the Carters’ grandson, Jason Carter, said at the event. “He’s going to be 99 in October, but right now, it’s sort of the perfect way for them to spend these last days together at home in Plains. They’re together, and they’ve been together for 70-plus years.”

Rosalynn Carter traveled across the country and the world as first lady in support of breaking mental health stigmas.

“Since 1971, Rosalynn had been a champion of mental health issues, and her leadership in this cause continues even now,” President Carter wrote in “White House Diary,” an annotated account of his time in the White House published in 2010.

Carter continued, “She mounted a worldwide crusade to reduce the stigma associated with mental illness and helped persuade the World Health Organization and Centers for Disease Control to include mental health on their agendas.”

Dementia is a broad term for an impaired ability to remember, think and make decisions, according to the CDC. People with dementia may have trouble with memory, attention, communication, judgment and problem-solving, and visual perception beyond typical age-related vision changes.

Dementia is not a normal part of aging, according to the National Institute on Aging, but about one-third of all people age 85 and older may have some form of dementia.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rosalynn Carter has dementia. She has likely had it for a little while, but they are just making it public now. Their Grandson has said that Jimmy and Rosalyn are both likely "coming to the end" and "spending their last days" together, so it is either fairly far along or a fairly aggressive type of dementia.

https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1663594008147263510
Too bad Georgia doesn’t have a Senate seat up for election this cycle, or she’d be a shoo-in for the dem nomination.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

House Freedom Caucus members have said they are considering filing a motion to vacate to depose McCarthy as Speaker.

McCarthy says:

- He's not worried about it.

- Believes they won't do it or that it will fail.

- Is confident that at least half of the House Republicans will end up supporting the bill.

- Admits that they only got a tiny portion of what they wanted, but says Democrats got nothing. The bill is 100% Republican priorities, even if it is not advancing them as much as they hoped, and that means it is a win.

- He's scheduling a House vote on the debt ceiling bill for tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1663598382022000663
https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1663609481656164355
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1663606330643341313

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Too bad Georgia doesn’t have a Senate seat up for election this cycle, or she’d be a shoo-in for the dem nomination.

She isn't Diane Feinstein, she is a dying woman who advocated to reduce the stigma around mental illness while she was first lady, and now she has dementia. Maybe a small amount of humanity or compassion is warranted in this situation.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
sorry to hear it for her and the democrats have way to many mummies in seats of power and should be mocked for it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Name Change posted:

Republicans vote against their own debt ceiling concessions, spider queen Joe Biden's trap closes around them

Yeahhhh they're gonna end up owning the global meltdown if that's the way they're gonna go with this

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

She isn't Diane Feinstein, she is a dying woman who advocated to reduce the stigma around mental illness while she was first lady, and now she has dementia. Maybe a small amount of humanity or compassion is warranted in this situation.

Yeah Diane Feinstein isn't going to read this, but you never know what other nonagenarian with advanced dementia is going to be browsing the forums and get upset at a satirical critique of the DNC

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah Diane Feinstein isn't going to read this, but you never know what other nonagenarian with advanced dementia is going to be browsing the forums and get upset at a satirical critique of the DNC

Or someone who has family who has struggled with this particular affliction and thinks making GBS threads on the dying elderly is a bad look.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dude it's a really tasteless joke.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Chuck Schumer says they have "made progress" on a series of unannounced bipartisan negotiations and hopes to have final bills that will pass the House on the following subjects before the next recess at the end of June:

- "China competition"

This doesn't have full details, but the bill will likely be based on one Bob Menendez introduced in the Senate last month.

It mostly focuses on increasing foreign aid "to counter China's belt and road initiative" and spending money on new manufacturing in the U.S. in industries where China is also focusing. It will also include "measures to avoid a conflict in Taiwan" and "look into ways to deter China from invading Taiwan."

quote:

This year's planned legislation would also seek funding for additional domestic investments in key technology areas and provide a better U.S. alternative to China's Belt and Road global infrastructure initiative, an effort to counter Beijing's international influence.

quote:

The U.S.’s investment last year through the landmark CHIPS and Science Act was critical but other sectors require significant backing. We need to consider areas like biotech or bio-manufacturing and work to identify other key areas of technology that need funding.

- AI

Absolutely no info on this except that it would set up "an AI taskforce" to determine where AI should be banned/encouraged in public policy and what opportunities/threats AI poses internationally.

- Prescription drug prices.

Likely an attempt to expand on the Rx drug price negotiation in the IRA. Unlikely to be major changes if it can pass the House, but a bill to mandate private insurance cap the price of insulin is likely (although all the major manufacturers of insulin have already agreed to cap their prices following the IRA provisions for Medicare and upcoming generic insulin availability, so this may be mostly symbolic/targeted at the worst offenders).

- Rail safety

A series of changes to rules:

- Update requirements for what cargo qualifies for mandatory extra safety measures - rules have not been updated for decades.

- Mandate railroad companies install and use "defect detectors" in all their freight trains.

- Increases funding for fire departments and DOE disaster employees to purchase updated PPE.

- Mandate that rail companies alert local and state governments when they plan to expand freight rail to carry hazardous material within X miles of residential areas and give states veto-power over new interstate rail construction that may haul hazardous materials.

- Mandates more frequent and detailed inspections of freight cars.

- Increase maximum fine for freight rail safety violations from $100,000 to $10 million.

- Finalizing a tax treaty with Chile

Treaty would provide for cooperation between U.S. and Chile tax authorities, source taxes on royalties and interest to the residency of the payor, allows a withholding tax on certain stock sales made in the U.S. by Chilean nationals, and sort out certain business taxes by making them subject 100% to one country or the other to prevent double taxation and tax evasion.

https://www.bennet.senate.gov/publi...eral-government

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1663624898160340993

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 30, 2023

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1663624151028908033?t=08hGvHnRwwfzTwrINO_TxQ&s=19

LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Can you provide any more context or a summary?

From what I have gathered, she is announcing she says she is "defecting" and that Maria Butina reached out to her to assist her with getting Russian citizenship.

Also, you can't "defect" to a country you aren't at war with. So, I'm not sure what she means in that context. Emigrating?

But, I don't really know why she is doing this from your link and her press statement is just a link to a live video on Russian state TV with no text.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 30, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I see I have some competition in the tasteless-joke department today.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
using your own personal twitter account to announce your own press conference with a "BREAKING" headline is some heady stuff

no comment or implication meant about anything else

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Levitate posted:

Yeahhhh they're gonna end up owning the global meltdown if that's the way they're gonna go with this

sucks that there's a non zero chance of this happening, but regressive dark money helped these dumbasses win. something something frog scorpion, leopard face, reap and sowing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

From what I have gathered, she is announcing she says she is "defecting" and that Maria Butina reached out to her to assist her with getting Russian citizenship.

Also, you can't "defect" to a country you aren't at war with. So, I'm not sure what she means in that context. Emigrating?

But, I don't really know why she is doing this from your link and her press statement is just a link to a live video on Russian state TV with no text.

Okay, found some context.

From the transcript, she apparently said she was forced to do this because Biden was either going to have her killed or imprisoned before the 2024 election. She says her "only two choices" if she stayed in the U.S. were to be dead or abducted and put in a cage on her way home from work by the end of the year.

So, it is apparently real and pretty wild.

Transcript from Sputnik:

https://sputnikglobe.com/20230530/biden-accuser-tara-reade-my-two-choices-in-us-were-to-walk-into-cage-or-be-killed-1110800326.html

Non-Russian state media source:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joe-biden-accuser-tara-reade-claims-she-defected-to-russia-after-sexual-assault-allegations

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Just because we're not in a declared war doesn't mean that they aren't hostile. And the term defect is what was used all through the cold war which wasn't a declared war either.

I mean the context is yet another supposed leftist horseshoeing into fascism and it kind of makes one question whether they were ever actually left to begin with. You pretty much lose any credibility in my eyes when you move to Russia. This ain't the Cold War and Russia isn't even pretending to be communist anymore. So the only reason I can see that someone would move to Russia at this point is that you support Putin's fascism.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Skex posted:

Just because we're not in a declared war doesn't mean that they aren't hostile. And the term defect is what was used all through the cold war which wasn't a declared war either.

I mean the context is yet another supposed leftist horseshoeing into fascism and it kind of makes one question whether they were ever actually left to begin with. You pretty much lose any credibility in my eyes when you move to Russia. This ain't the Cold War and Russia isn't even pretending to be communist anymore. So the only reason I can see that someone would move to Russia at this point is that you support Putin's fascism.

Is Tara Reade known for being a "supposed leftist" or is she an alleged victim of sexual assault who you're projecting your issues with leftist posters on?

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

this is my shocked face

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Skex posted:

I mean the context is yet another supposed leftist horseshoeing into fascism and it kind of makes one question whether they were ever actually left to begin with.

Literally her not being a leftist was part of how Biden backers deflected her accusations, but go on.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

this is my shocked face
This just goes to show how we should always believe victims, except when they disagree with our politics.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...why are we concentrating on "whether Tara Reed is *really* a leftist" comment and not on "why the gently caress did she think she was going to get blackbagged???" conversation?

I'm not saying that the goverment *doesn't* murder activists, I mean that politicions don't tend to order the murder of people who accuse them of sex crimes. At least now they don't.

And it's not like Tara Reed's accusation is new. It's years old. Why the gently caress would Biden order her death *now*???

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It does make her sound paranoid.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Twincityhacker posted:

...why are we concentrating on "whether Tara Reed is *really* a leftist" comment and not on "why the gently caress did she think she was going to get blackbagged???" conversation?

I'm not saying that the goverment *doesn't* murder activists, I mean that politicions don't tend to order the murder of people who accuse them of sex crimes. At least now they don't.

And it's not like Tara Reed's accusation is new. It's years old. Why the gently caress would Biden order her death *now*???

She also says she has knowledge that Biden has taken steps to steal the 2024 election. If true, that would upend the entire election, potentially vindicate Donald Trump's claims of fraud, possibly drive Biden out of the White House, and result in criminal charges.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Uh does this mean there is a possibility that Biden's sexual assault allegation was a Russian psy-op?

Why would anyone flee to Russia in 2023 if they're not literally a Russian asset?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
welp the news drop from russia is doing what its suppose to do and making a drama bomb in certain places.

e: snowdan went to Russia and probably isnt a directly asset at the time. He needed a shield from the US and played his cards and deck the best he could.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 30, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PhazonLink posted:

welp the news drop from russia is doing what its suppose to do and making a drama bomb in certain places.

e: snowdan went to Russia and probably isnt a directly asset at the time. He needed a shield from the US and played his cards and deck the best he could.

Snowden also went to Russia before they started attacking Ukraine.

In any case Reade has been hanging around in pro-Russian circles for a while now:

https://twitter.com/palazio/status/1627339816365965313

The last one is important because she agreed to appear at an event which was originally planned to also feature convicted pedophile sex offender Scott Ritter. Though Ritter didn't actually attend the event.

https://twitter.com/lane668/status/1621911842011365379

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 30, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

She also says she has knowledge that Biden has taken steps to steal the 2024 election. If true, that would upend the entire election, potentially vindicate Donald Trump's claims of fraud, possibly drive Biden out of the White House, and result in criminal charges.

Only Putin can stop the steal and free America.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Clarste posted:

It does make her sound paranoid.

Well she is speaking out on the most powerful person in the world and also the last guy in office literally did black bag people

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Still worth asking why she thinks the risk has only become unacceptable now and not at any other point in the past three decades

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Okay, found some context.

From the transcript, she apparently said she was forced to do this because Biden was either going to have her killed or imprisoned before the 2024 election. She says her "only two choices" if she stayed in the U.S. were to be dead or abducted and put in a cage on her way home from work by the end of the year.

So, it is apparently real and pretty wild.

Transcript from Sputnik:

https://sputnikglobe.com/20230530/biden-accuser-tara-reade-my-two-choices-in-us-were-to-walk-into-cage-or-be-killed-1110800326.html

Non-Russian state media source:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joe-biden-accuser-tara-reade-claims-she-defected-to-russia-after-sexual-assault-allegations

I assume there’ll be a Trump press conference featuring her and Putin at some point during the upcoming campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The only thing that makes me a little skeptical is that Biden taking steps to steal the 2024 election and have his loose ends murdered over 1.5 years before the election shows a level of dedication to decisive and preemptive political action that has not been a defining characteristic of his previous campaigns.