Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

When are we gonna get the VR Labo patch for TotK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Pierson posted:

Is there a good third-party joy-con alternative? My twice-repaired official ones are drifting again. Already have a pro controller but I do like to be on handheld sometimes.

it's gonna be NYXI or Binbok or something like that. if you don't care/want rumble and stuff there's the horis, but if you want an actual joycon with gyro etc you're lookin at NYXIs or replacing the sticks yrself (which is more tedious than anything; i replaced mine on a lite tho and THAT was a pain in the rear end [this was also before driftless sticks were readily available so i'll likely have to do it again lol lmao hooray])

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
I got some white NYXI joycon replacements so I could have gyro and rumble instead of the horis. Unfortunately, sometime around 3 months/90 days of continuous use (they were all i used almost exclusively) my left one stopped staying connected to the switch- which made playing basically impossible. They still work wirelessly but I can’t use one connected and the other wireless unfortunately. I reached out to NYXI’s support and they said since it was past the 30 day warranty they offer, they wouldn’t replace it and then proceeded to offer a discount that was $5-10 less than replacing both of them. The whole situation left me pretty frustrated so I went back to my horis. I tried everything that I could to fix them without buying a replacement part (which i couldn’t even source online), like cleaning the contacts and making sure the ribbon cable was actually connected, but never successfully fixed anything. I guess I could force both to be wireless and still have them locked into the switch body but other than some botw shrines i haven’t needed my horis for gyro. I do miss dumb vibrations tho :/

This all being said that these low quality hardware companies defo have a v. v. low qc on their parts and will have a higher failure rates. With only 30 days to get a replacement it’s some what of a dice roll. I knew it was a possibility of lovely hardware because i’d seen some reports online but I took the risk and also took the L. Sooooo ymmv with the NYXI, but the Horis seem to be more of a tank- at this point all my button labels have worn off and dpad even has some indents from my nails ha but they haven’t stopped working.

I started my whole quest for upgraded joycons with the skull n co case and installed a dpad on my left joycon(so i could keep all of the joycon functionality and still have a comfortable grip), and kinda loved that set up in the beginning. But ultimately found the joy cons had just too small of buttons and sticks for reliable movements in games (not that i’m some crazy gamer or anything) but i really like to use dpads when I can.

I wish I knew more about micro soldering and how these types electronics communicate with each other because i’d absolutely replace the internals of the NYXI/Hori with a second set of joycons I have to make the product I want. In reality I’m sure there is some nonsense about the hardware specifics that wouldn’t make the internals a 1:1 swap.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lol, ersatz virtualboy. The magic of the 3ds was I didn't need to strap even more poo poo to my face to get 3d.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3D is over nobody cares anymore and I say that as someone who owned a 3D tv and watched a bunch of 3D poo poo on it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah like by the end of the 3DS lifespan there wasnt much that was actually using the 3d

it was really cool though

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I think I outdid myself finally in ToTK. Running around Hebra and entering the Wind Temple more or less randomly, wasn't too bad with some warm clothing and a fire sword strapped to my back. Struggling through 28 lighthouses before finding an Ascension tower in the depths, with only 4 hearts and 1 stamina wheel, was pretty intense, but once I got the Glow Armor, it wasn't nearly as bad to see where I was going, and I could pretty easily avoid enemies.

No, what actually had me abandon it was the Thunderhead Islands. I can't see poo poo in there! I flew a device into it, because of course I did, and instantly blind. I figured that by using ultra-hand a sort of infra-red zone would light up around you and you could see the ground a bit. Ok. Anyway, I left having found Shrine up there and having fought and beaten a Flux 3 construct (thank god for bomb arrows) with almost 0 visibility. I can only imagine you need a plot macguffin to help you out there, or I was too dense to figure out how to see where the hell I was going.

I found a shrine so I can get back there whenever I guess. Going to finish exploring Faron that is hit all the quickly visible shrines and continue east along the south.

I think my favorite discovery so far as been the Windfish remains in the desert. I even found the smaller version but couldn't find the skull so I left. I'll have to go back, I assume something's up around there.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Holy poo poo I'm addicted to taking perfect pictures that are just right for the Hyrule compendium

Makes me wanna replay botw just to do that one too lmao this is waaay too fun. The last 5 hours have been spent doing nothing but snapping pictures of random items and monsters and monster parts

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think my favorite discovery so far as been the Windfish remains in the desert. I even found the smaller version but couldn't find the skull so I left. I'll have to go back, I assume something's up around there.

There were three of these in BotW

Presumably one for each of the massive whales in the previous games

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Inside Jabu Jabu's desiccated remains

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I have a one year enrollment for Nintendo switch online (via some great goons in sa-mart) and the amount of gaming options are overwhelming.

I think I'd like to explore games as a series - i.e. do more Kirbys til bored of them, then Marios, then Zeldas. Are there any real stinkers to avoid or is the curation going to mean anything we try out is a good time?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Third-party games are gonna be more hit-or-miss, but Nintendo games should mostly be good. If in doubt, ask this thread.

The Kirby selection is gonna be pretty solid.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wasn't the biggest Star Allies fan, but Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a remaster of a great game with a really cool new expansion/mode

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wasn't the biggest Star Allies fan, but Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a remaster of a great game with a really cool new expansion/mode

I meant the Gameboy/NES/SNES/N64 ones, woops

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ugh, why are they trickling platinum!? I can’t even buy everything and I max nearly every week :mad:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

have we had an update on the condition of pneumonia daughter? is op still on the couch near the big tv?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

djfooboo posted:

Ugh, why are they trickling platinum!? I can’t even buy everything and I max nearly every week :mad:

You mean platinum points for the icon stuff? Have you done the website stuff?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Metis of the Hallway posted:

have we had an update on the condition of pneumonia daughter? is op still on the couch near the big tv?

I was trying to avoid beating a dead horse and dipping into that well for jokes too often, but real talk she had some kind of bronchitis brought on by a virus, has been on a nebulizer treatment and is doing much better.

I have not had the privilege of playing Zelda on any TV l, huge or otherwise for over due to reasons, which I assume is penance for invoking my ill daughter for forum laugh purposes.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
One problem I have with TotK (and also my brain) is that now that I know it's possible to use ascend (early game spoilers) to get out of the depths, I refuse to get out of there any other way, which just led to me spending over 4 hours running around down there after I hurled myself down the chasm in Kakariko chasing Naydra's horn. I wish there were some rhyme or reason as to where the exits are, and I wish there were more of them, because gently caress that was rough towards the end.

I activated around 15 light roots, smashed a few big bads, fought a load of silver bokoblins for the first time with their silly angler fish horns, covered lots of ground in vtol gliders, cleared about 5 or 6 yiga hideouts, reactivated a bunch of abandoned mines and learned many schematics before I finally saw an exit tower, right in the south east tip of the map overlooking Eventide Island. By that time I'd been all the way up and past the castle, back to the south west, then all around the south east under the mountain before finally finding it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You mean platinum points for the icon stuff? Have you done the website stuff?

Website! Stuff!?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

djfooboo posted:

Website! Stuff!?

Yes, log into the nintendo website and then click on your mii in the top corner and select the My Nintendo banner, then the earn points tab and if you scroll to the bottom to the platinum points part there's links to things you can do. You get points for logging in on the website weekly too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do not understand people who refuse to fast travel in games. Especially then complaining they can't leave a place. Especially when your character diagetically can teleport, it's not that are moving between inaccessible places with no explanation.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I do not understand people who refuse to fast travel in games. Especially then complaining they can't leave a place. Especially when your character diagetically can teleport, it's not that are moving between inaccessible places with no explanation.

Yeah it is kind of dumb if it's not explicitly a challenge thing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I do not understand people who refuse to fast travel in games.

They haven't realised they only have a finite time on this earth and there's no afterlife yet.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Eh, I definitely wouldn’t go as far as to never fast travel, but there’s some games that I think work well without using it too much, and TotK is one of them. You get more of a sense of place, you find koroks and caves you missed before, you find stuff in the sky you missed on the ground or vice versa, you get to play around with vehicles or chill out to the horse music, etc. I’ve yet to go from A to B without finding something interesting, even if I’ve been to both A and B before.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

if fast travel will save .5 seconds over walking you’re drat right I’m teleporting

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Depth are clearly intend to be a place you exit via fast travel, the UI even puts a li'l flag on the map to indicate where you were when you left for that reason.

I mean, I respect all forms of self-imposed challenge, you do you; I personally just limited myself to using fast travel from warp points, and felt that was enough of a limit.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

An Actual Princess posted:

if fast travel will save .5 seconds over walking you’re drat right I’m teleporting

one of the simple pleasures in life is taking a cab a few streets across kamurocho

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

They haven't realised they only have a finite time on this earth and there's no afterlife yet.

Tell that to all the Pharaohs that got buried with their Game & Watches. They got all the time in the world for Oil Panic high scores now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I was really hoping I could play TOTK with as little fast travel as possible, because it's just so dense with koroks to torturethings to do but pillars to ascend out of the depths are so few and far between that I've had no choice but to teleport out. I've been having fun using a printed paper map of Hyrule with a marker instead of opening the ingame map, though. I use the sun to figure out my orientation when the obvious landmarks are obscured, and when it's night, I just go towards anything lit up. When I'm on the surface, I only use fast travel to quickly pop in and out of the Tarrey Town de-fusion shop.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
playing without fast travel absolutely rules. you look at the world differently, using mechanics you might have used once or not at all, noticing things you would have missed, and so on. this is true of many games, and 10000x true for BotW and TotK

but the house rule I play with is that the moment I'm feeling more annoyed than challenged or immersed I just fast travel without a shred of guilt. hasn't let me down since Oblivion

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Argue posted:

I've been having fun using a printed paper map of Hyrule with a marker instead of opening the ingame map, though.

https://youtu.be/tj7RlQdF25A

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Wtf the master sword pickup is the best. I spent multiple play sessions reckoning how to get to the dragon, accidentally landing on the wrong dragon, blowing up rocket gliders, making camp on sky islands, etc. All that after hitting the stamina wall a few hours prior. Ultimately I got lucky and used an air balloon to get above her

Also re Lost Woods the whole Lost Woods situation is excellent. I got in via the depths, then like 15 hours later came back tough enough to cure the tree, after picking up the sword, and it was done. So glad the foggy paths thing wasn't enforced in the standard way

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 31, 2023

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Should I be concerned that there still isn’t an eshop page up for Katamari 2 even though it’s supposed to come out in a little over a day?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

"Mite-like Prince! It seems that in the course of our summer vacation we have forgotten to create our eShop page. A game needs a page, yes? The page should be a short and sweet... 300 words. The Gamers will wait patiently for only 24 hours. After that, even We don't know what they would do."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

maybealabia posted:

Inside Jabu Jabu's desiccated remains

Going by internet theories Jabu Jabu might not actually be one of the Leviathan Bones; they seem to map pretty well to the Wind Fish, Ocean King and Levias.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Fast travel is a necessity for most open world games because most open world games are bad and boring.

I have fast travelled before in TotK but this is one of the only open world games I've ever played where it comes down to a decision in that moment if I want to explore more naturally. I feel like the odds of stumbling into something fun and engaging, even if it's just a 2 minute thing like Addison and his dumb signs, are vastly higher in TotK than in any other open world I've ever played - on top of the general ambience.

It's just a nice world to exist in and you're never that far away from some sort of toybox to tinker with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

same with elden ring

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

I mean I already blamed it on my own weird brain, I know it's a self-imposed crutch.

But even within that context, the sparse placement of the exit towers seems a bit strange. IMO they should have either leaned fully into being able to exit by your own means, by increasing the amount of exit towers, and also allowing a few other means of egress - the first time I entered following the main quest, I had assumed I'd either be able to balloon out or ascend if I managed to reach close enough to the ceiling. When I did just that by climbing the big root system next to the chasm you enter from, and discovered I couldn't, it felt arbitrary, a feeling compounded by the balloons dotted around under chasms obviously indicating that's how NPCs are supposed to get in and out but then that method also being impossible because the devices despawn long before you can get anywhere close to escaping.

If they'd done this then they could have even leaned into using the depths as an alternative route to get to your objectives on the surface - maybe to avoid difficult terrain or weather conditions or enemies or whatever you could drop down into the depths and pop out again at your destination.

Or they should have removed any towers at all and just had someone tell you to teleport out when you want to leave. As it is, having only a few towers dotted around seems a compromise that pleases no-one and is a very rare instance of slightly frustrating game design in an otherwise stellar experience. I guess it's only worth mentioning because it runs contrary to the main philosophy that BotW and TotK espouse, which is ultimate freedom and variety of player choice being respected and encouraged. Having to spend literally hours hunting for a tower if you don't want to fast travel seems overly restrictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

You make those hours sound bad. I sort of love it and relish trekking down there. You find a ton of things on the way. Also once you find a couple you notice what they look like and you can find them more easily. Plus the depths feels smaller? I feel like you traverse space faster down there.