Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

UKJeff posted:

Joe Biden would habitually swim naked in front of female secret service agents.

I don't understand why I should care about this one or how it fits the image you're trying to build here. Even in that article it sounds like the Secret Services were more peeved about having to go to Delaware than about the nudity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't understand why I should care about this one or how it fits the image you're trying to build here. Even in that article it sounds like the Secret Services were more peeved about having to go to Delaware than about the nudity.
Luv 2 swim naked in front of people I have power over.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
loving hell don't defend bosses getting nude before their subordinates

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look, I like to swim naked and these people won't stop watching me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Did he force people to watch him swim or was it part of the job description. I mean I guess he could not swim naked. I know a few people who love to skinny dip and such but if he is doing it as a power play than that is hosed up.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Madkal posted:

Did he force people to watch him swim or was it part of the job description. I mean I guess he could not swim naked. I know a few people who love to skinny dip and such but if he is doing it as a power play than that is hosed up.
Do they do that in front of their professional subordinates?

Like I’ve been to nude beaches a number of times, but never with students or professional subordinates.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Yeah sorry but if he always swam naked and the secret service has a rule like "we can't look away while you swim" well that sucks but I wouldn't change my habits either.

E: " you cannot go to and onsen for four years" would be a hard pass for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

cat botherer posted:

Do they do that in front of their professional subordinates?

Like I’ve been to nude beaches a number of times, but never with students or professional subordinates.

They aren't really in a position where they have a protective agency following them everywhere they go.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

I have no problem believing that the accusations are credible because nobody is a perfect victim and Uncle Touchy Joe is creepy as hell about personal space.

If it turns out to be provably made up, I still won't feel bad for believing a woman vs a powerful man in politics as a sex pest.

This is where I think #metoo has broken peoples brains and forced us not to be able to think critically. People who claim they are sexually abused should always be given a voice and be treated as credible, but we owe it to the accused to vet the claims and if they’re not credible we need to be up front about that too.

The problem is and always was that she has a history of lying (including under oath), making contradictory statements and claims of outright fraud. It doesn’t make you a bad person to not trust someone who has a public record of abusing trust.

Nobody should be surprised that she fled to Russia to hang with Butina it 100% makes sense. Anyone who isn’t expressing at least a bit of doubt about her claims has an agenda.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Archonex posted:

2. Reade’s friend admitted to lying to a reporter to fit Reade’s narrative. McGann spoke with one Reade friend, who told her last year that Biden had harassed Reade but had definitely not sexually assaulted her:

Last year, Reade encouraged me to speak with a friend of hers who counseled her through her time in Biden’s office in 1992 and 1993. The friend was clear about what had happened, and what hadn’t.

“On the scale of other things we heard, and I feel ashamed, but it wasn’t that bad. [Biden] never tried to kiss her directly. He never went for one of those touches. It was one of those, ‘sorry you took it that way.’ I know that is very hard to explain,” the friend told me. She went on: “What was creepy was that it was always in front of people.”

After Reade changed her allegation, McGann circled back to the friend, who explained that she had said something the friend knew to be false because Reade “wanted to leave a layer there”:

I spoke with Reade’s friend again this week. She said that Reade had told her about the alleged assault the week it happened in 1993. I asked the friend why, then, did she volunteer so explicitly that Biden “never tried to kiss her” or touch her inappropriately. “It just organically rolled out that way,” the friend said. “[Reade] and I had many conversations a year ago about what her degree of comfort was. She wanted to leave a layer there, and I did not want to betray that. It just wasn’t my place.”

Omitting a relevant detail to protect your friend is one thing. Adding false detail is another.

PBS NewsHour’s report turns up several more problems.
im getting worked up, so ill just address 2 there. It seems to be saying her friend didnt stop believing her or that Reade changed what Reade told her, but that she only admitted to the reporter what Reade was at the moment comfortable revealing. Not really

Archonex posted:

, and her friends later admitted that they were pressured by Reade to lie on her behalf corroborating her claims that Biden was handsy with her in public so Reade could set up a "layered" story she could unveil later on after Reade changed the nature of her allegations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Killer robot posted:

I've seen studies in the past suggesting that the great majority of rapes are committed by a relatively small number of serial rapists.

Not true. Most rapes are committed by a perpetrator known to the victim. Not consistent with the profile of a serial rapist.

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/perpetrators-sexual-violence

However, it is likely for perpetrators to have a criminal history.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

kronix posted:

This is where I think #metoo has broken peoples brains and forced us not to be able to think critically. People who claim they are sexually abused should always be given a voice and be treated as credible, but we owe it to the accused to vet the claims and if they’re not credible we need to be up front about that too.

The problem is and always was that she has a history of lying (including under oath), making contradictory statements and claims of outright fraud. It doesn’t make you a bad person to not trust someone who has a public record of abusing trust.

Nobody should be surprised that she fled to Russia to hang with Butina it 100% makes sense. Anyone who isn’t expressing at least a bit of doubt about her claims has an agenda.

"Believe women" is "broken people's brains"?

No gently caress that. I'd rather err on the side of believing women after a billion years of doubting them.

If you have proof that she lied, post it, otherwise I'm still going to believe her.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Jaxyon posted:

"Believe women" is "broken people's brains"?

No gently caress that. I'd rather err on the side of believing women after a billion years of doubting them.

If you have proof that she lied, post it, otherwise I'm still going to believe her.

very cool of you to slam in here and immediately kinda prove kronix's point

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Madkal posted:

They aren't really in a position where they have a protective agency following them everywhere they go.
Are they in the bathroom with Biden when he’s making GBS threads? I’d refrain from totally optional activities like skinny dipping way before involuntary subjecting subordinates to that if I were president.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

World Famous W posted:

im getting worked up, so ill just address 2 there. It seems to be saying her friend didnt stop believing her or that Reade changed what Reade told her, but that she only admitted to the reporter what Reade was at the moment comfortable revealing. Not really

To be clear, the friend admitted she lied outright by adding a false detail to the claim. She didn't come forward about it until directly confronted about it because she thought she didn't think it was her place.

Also, the whole thing with Reade deliberately perjuring herself is utterly terrifying. She straight up contributed to multiple people getting locked away, and the prosecutors themselves admitted that she lied through her teeth about her credibility, which almost certainly contributed to a reduced sentence to make amends for the clear error in the proceedings and justice. Never mind all the lying to various landlords and neighbors (One even says that they think she's escalated to going after a bigger con by going after Biden in the first article.) to extract money and housing from them before ghosting them which can be seen in the first article.

I understand this is a sensitive topic, and I agree that given the culture around rape accusations we should give people the benefit of the doubt when they come forward with an accusation.

But there is just so much poo poo with this person that you really should be demanding more evidence before taking her word at face value. She has a clear history of manipulating other people for her own gain, literally preying on their good nature and sympathy as one article puts its, and often has repeatedly done this to other people's detriment without a seeming care in the world for the harm she herself has caused. Hell, she herself claims to be a victim of domestic abuse but straight up had zero problem lying on stand in domestic abuse cases to the point where the prosecutors sought to lower the sentence afterwards. It's genuinely hard to get more untrustworthy than that.

This is not saying that the claim should be tossed out outright, or that Biden is an innocent little snowflake, but if there was ever a person who should be given a very clear look at before treating their claims as gospel it's Tara Reade. That she now claims she that has discovered a plot decades out from her association with Biden to steal the 2024 election (a wing nut right wing grifting trick that they tried to whataboutism about at one point to downplay the J6 coup attempt, it should be added) and thinks that she's going to be assassinated by Biden should also concern folks.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 31, 2023

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

cat botherer posted:

Luv 2 swim naked in front of people I have power over.

He was in his own private pool in his own private home and there's no reporting I've seen that he was, at any time, doing anything remotely sexual or otherwise inappropriate - just swimming.

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Not true. Most rapes are committed by a perpetrator known to the victim. Not consistent with the profile of a serial rapist.

This doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. Most serial rapists are going to be known by their victims, people knowing their rapist prior to the rape has absolutely no bearing on how many rapes the rapist has done before. The most prolific serial rapists I've had the misfortune of knowing knew all of their victims beforehand, those social connections were how they enabled and perpetrated their rapes.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 31, 2023

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Archonex posted:

But there is just so much poo poo with this person that you really should be demanding more evidence before taking her word at face value.
from the very same politico article you posted

quote:

A former neighbor, however, told Business Insider that Reade spoke of the assault in the mid-1990s. A work colleague from around the same time told the publication that Reade complained to her of sexual harassment in Biden’s office. A document filed by Reade’s ex-husband in 1996 also states that Reade had complained of harassment.

From the Vox article the nymag article pulled from

quote:

When we spoke a year ago, Reade told me the only named sources she could give me were her deceased mother and the friend I spoke to. A recently uncovered tape of her mom on Larry King Live appears to corroborate Reade’s claim that she was struggling in Biden’s office in 1993, but does not include an assault allegation.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Madkal posted:

I mean, this was the guy who nipple-twisted a child while he was on camera; of course it was a power play.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Archonex posted:

To be clear, the friend admitted she lied outright by adding a false detail to the claim. She didn't come forward about it until directly confronted about it because she thought she didn't think it was her place.

Also, the whole thing with Reade deliberately perjuring herself is utterly terrifying. She straight up contributed to multiple people getting locked away, and the prosecutors themselves admitted that she lied through her teeth about her credibility, which almost certainly contributed to a reduced sentence to make amends for the clear error in the proceedings and justice. Never mind all the lying to various landlords and neighbors (One even says that they think she's escalated to going after a bigger con by going after Biden in the first article.) to extract money and housing from them before ghosting them which can be seen in the first article.

I understand this is a sensitive topic, and I agree that given the culture around rape accusations we should give people the benefit of the doubt when they come forward with an accusation.

But there is just so much poo poo with this person that you really should be demanding more evidence before taking her word at face value. She has a clear history of manipulating other people for her own gain, literally preying on their good nature and sympathy as one article puts its, and often has repeatedly done this to other people's detriment without a seeming care in the world for the harm she herself has caused. Hell, she herself claims to be a victim of domestic abuse but straight up had zero problem lying on stand in domestic abuse cases to the point where the prosecutors sought to lower the sentence afterwards. It's genuinely hard to get more untrustworthy than that.

This is not saying that the claim should be tossed out outright, or that Biden is an innocent little snowflake, but if there was ever a person who should be given a very clear look at before treating their claims as gospel it's Tara Reade. That she now claims she that has discovered a plot decades out from her association with Biden to steal the 2024 election (a wing nut right wing grifting trick that they tried to whataboutism about at one point, it should be added) and thinks that she's going to be assassinated by Biden should also concern folks.

Skex posted:

The reason I was skeptical of the rape allegation is that abusers aren't typically one and done. It wasn't just Carroll accusing Trump it was dozens. It wasn't an actress accusing Harvey Weinstein once again dozens same with :kav: . The fact that it was just her didn't help her credibility. I mean even with Franken there were multiple accusations of groping.

That's not an automatic dismissal but it's going to be a higher bar given the circumstances and that the timing seemed mostly intended to neutralize Trump being accused of being a serial rapist by putting a cloud over Biden suggesting that he's a rapist too.

This idea that we have to have a signed confession accompanied by a video of a crime to make the obvious inference is bonkers. Her rape accusation was made after it was too late to change the outcome of the primary so we were stuck with Biden regardless whereas the same accusation a year earlier would have given people a chance to change course on their primary preference. So the timing is extremely suspect to start.

Then there's the complete lack of other victims coming forward which is unusual in this circumstances because abusers are generally habitual.

Even then skeptical doesn't mean dismissive, but her falling in with the MAGAts and Quidiots undermines her accusation as well, then literally going to Russia while spouting fascist propaganda.

At this point I'm comfortable concluding that it was just another Russian intelligence op rather than going through some convoluted mental gymnastics to dream up a sympathetic narrative to justify her choice to become a fascist.

Sometimes something is exactly what it appears to be kind of like Trump being a Russian asset.

Hi you're both rape apologists, and a direct danger to the women in your lives🥰

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

GlyphGryph posted:

This doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense. Most serial rapists are going to be known by their victims, people knowing their rapist prior to the rape has absolutely no bearing on how many rapes the rapist has done before. The most prolific serial rapists I've had the misfortune of knowing knew all of their victims beforehand, those social connections were how they enabled and perpetrated their rapes.

Yeah, after looking it up, I think I conflated the definition of serial rapist with serial killer. Thanks for the clarification.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Not sure if this is discussed elsewhere or old news some how but https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/05/30/mccarthy-chip-roy-speaker-deal/
Chip Roy is saying he has a deal with McCarthy that nothing passes the House Rules Committee unless all 9 Rs agree to it. Most folks thought the deal was just 7 Rs, but pretty much everyone admits McCarthy was desperate as hell so they're saying "I don't think that's right" instead of "No, that's dumb, committees work by majority vote".
I think the debt ceiling will still go through, there's too much incentive, but for folks to be screaming "This wasn't part of the deal, McCarthy" 4 months into his speakership and on the first thing they try is ... about what I expected I guess.
Absolute unworkable shitshow.

The Washington Post posted:

We knew the House was liable to get messy when Republicans took it over and Kevin McCarthy needed to cut a mysterious agreement with the right-wing House Freedom Caucus to become speaker.
What we might not have fully appreciated at the time is how much that mess might result from not being able to agree on what the agreement was.
The first big hurdle for the debt ceiling deal McCarthy (R-Calif.) cut with President Biden over the weekend was the all-important House Rules Committee on Tuesday afternoon. This committee can make or break legislation, which is why the Freedom Caucus was keen to pry three seats from the speaker loyalists that usually inhabit it. That left McCarthy with only six such votes on a 13-member committee, shy of a majority of his allies.
But as the committee was about to take up the debt ceiling deal, one of its Freedom Caucus members lodged a remarkable claim about the January agreement: that GOP votes to advance bills on the committee effectively needed to be unanimous.
“A reminder that during Speaker negotiations to build the coalition, that it was explicit both that nothing would pass Rules Committee without AT LEAST 7 GOP votes — AND that the Committee would not allow reporting out rules without unanimous Republican votes,” Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.) claimed Monday on Twitter.
This is a little complicated, but Roy was basically claiming that he, fellow Freedom Caucus member Rep. Ralph Norman (R-S.C.) and a third non-McCarthy loyalist on the committee, Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.), each had veto power. So even if something like the debt ceiling deal got a majority of GOP members or the committee as a whole, they would be able to stop it.
There were real reasons to doubt this. CNN’s Manu Raju reports that senior GOP aides said the agreement did require seven GOP votes to advance a bill, but not all nine.
That seven-vote threshold, in itself, would be a pretty big deal, because it would mean the committee isn’t really a majoritarian one. It looked like the bill would clear that threshold Tuesday, with Massie saying he anticipated voting yes. But a nine-vote threshold would mean it didn’t advance.
And as Roy’s claim was being chewed over, McCarthy allies acknowledged that they didn’t really know what McCarthy had given up.
“I have not heard that before,” Rep. Dusty Johnson (R-S.D.) told CNN. “If those conversations took place, the rest of the conference was unaware of them.”
Rep. Stephanie I. Bice (R-Okla.) added: “I don’t know what Speaker McCarthy agreed to, but that has not been something that any of us were familiar with.”
Another member who was apparently unfamiliar with what Roy was talking about : Massie, the most crucial vote on the Rules Committee when it came to getting to those required GOP seven. (Both Roy and Norman indicated they were opposed.)
Just to put a fine point on that: This is one of the most consequential levers of power in the House, and not only do we not have public clarity on how it works, but some Republicans admit they, too, are in the dark. Or as Bice put it, “I don’t know what Speaker McCarthy agreed to.”
That’s a remarkable state of affairs. And it traces back to a deal that was rather obviously forged with secrecy in mind — despite McCarthy’s promises of transparency.
Back when it was cut, a few brave House Republicans ventured that it might be good to know what McCarthy had given away. But their leverage was holding out on the rules package vote that came shortly after McCarthy’s election as speaker, and they passed on pressing the issue in favor of moving forward as a party after an arduous few days that included 15 ballots in the vote for speaker.
At the time, there were reports of a three-page “addendum” to the rules — a document that would seemingly outline something like this. McCarthy and others talked around whether such a deal actually existed. But Roy himself suggested that it was more of a handshake agreement.
“There’s no official list,” Roy said. “You look somebody in the eye and shake their hands and move forward. That’s precisely what happened here.”
It’s a nice idea, in theory. But then you come to a state of affairs like this, when the full faith and credit of the U.S. government is on the line, and the key players can’t agree on what the rules are.
It seems, based upon all indicators, that Roy has gotten this wrong. (His office didn’t respond to a request for comment, and he didn’t press the issue in committee Tuesday.) The fact that Massie, of all people, seemed unfamiliar with such an agreement — and that Norman hasn’t raised this as an issue — would point in that direction. The question from there is whether Roy feels misled somehow, and how that might affect his relationship with McCarthy.
Roy seemed to double down on his claims Tuesday morning, calling the deal a “betrayal of the power-sharing arrangement that we put in place.” He added that if the deal passed through the Rules Committee, “we’re going to have to then regroup and figure out the whole leadership arrangement again.”
For now, most other Freedom Caucus members aren’t talking about removing McCarthy as speaker by using a “motion to vacate the chair,” which is part of another concession they gained in January.
But it’s unlikely to be the last time McCarthy will need Roy on something big. Throw on top of that the fact that the House is basically being run with secret rules, and that’s a real recipe for some hard feelings — at the least

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tatsuta Age posted:

very cool of you to slam in here and immediately kinda prove kronix's point

Yeah, some folks can't handle talking about this, it seems.

Like, you folks uncritically assessing this are defending someone who claimed in a divorce proceeding to be the victim of domestic abuse, then turned around and straight up loving lied about her credibility and credentials in cases involving domestic abuse that lead to life imprisonment and imprisonment for longer than a decade. She did this ten times.

uninterrupted posted:

As someone who's had to deal with emotionally abusive and manipulative family members that act like her and has been nearly murdered by an abusive family member I invite you to thoroughly go gently caress yourself and shut the gently caress up. The accusation of rape does not exclude people from looking at someone who has gone out of their way to ruin lives themselves for their own profit by constantly lying through their teeth for decades on end with a note of skepticism. Especially now that she's openly gone full right wing wingnut and thinks Biden plans to kill her and is straight up posting right wing grifting conspiracy theories to the news on behalf of loving Russia of all places.

Edit: And it looks like you're forum banned from D&D, and are a genocide denying CCP shill going off your rap sheet. Color me loving shocked at this development.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 31, 2023

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DeeplyConcerned posted:

That's not at all incompatible. I don't mean "serial rapist" in the terms of someone who stalks strangers: someone attacking a number of girlfriends/dates/coworkers/etc, people he already knew, is what it had suggested. Repeat offenders who keep going until they're stopped because that's how they treat the women in their lives.

But again, even if it's true that only a fraction of rapes are committed by a one-time offender, the magic of statistics means that a larger percentage of rapists are one-time offenders, so "there weren't any other accusations" wouldn't mean much even in a world where victims all came forward.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Archonex posted:

Yeah, some folks can't handle talking about this, it seems.

Like, you folks uncritically assessing this are defending someone who claimed in a divorce proceeding to be the victim of domestic abuse, then turned around and straight up loving lied about her credibility and credentials in cases that lead to life imprisonment and imprisonment for longer than a decade. She did this ten times.

Saying "she lied about one thing, that means she's probably lying about being sexually assaulted" isn't critical thinking. It's the exact opposite of critical thinking. In fact it's one of the most common smear tactics for defending sexual assault perpetrators. It's bullshit when people do it to Jane Doe, it's bullshit when you do it about Tara Reade.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/adamcancryn/status/1663689714145083392

McCarthy somehow got negotiated into increasing the number of SNAP recipients by 78,000???

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

Hey just wanted to point out this is disgusting behavior from you.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Yawgmoft posted:

You're right I'm sorry I missed your horrifying "what's wrong w whipping your cock out in front of your employees" post

Yawgmoft posted:

Yeah sorry but if he always swam naked and the secret service has a rule like "we can't look away while you swim" well that sucks but I wouldn't change my habits either.

E: " you cannot go to and onsen for four years" would be a hard pass for me.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Yeah, there's way too many people being lovely trolls or bad faith arguers to continue this discussion. Still trying to process Fister's nonsense misrepresenting the posts by saying she only lied about one thing when in reality it was so much more than that.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 31, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Is it really such a burden that along with the privileges of being president, he can no longer skinny dip?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

You're right I'm sorry I missed your horrifying "what's wrong w whipping your cock out in front of your employees" post

Americans are so loving weird about the human body. Being naked is not the same thing as "wiping your dick out". Why are you here, when there are so many children being sexually abused because they saw an old man in the locker room at the Y you could be saving?

Adenoid Dan posted:

Is it really such a burden that along with the privileges of being president, he can no longer skinny dip?

It's really more like why is it even a problem

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 31, 2023

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

Saying "she lied about one thing, that means she's probably lying about being sexually assaulted" isn't critical thinking. It's the exact opposite of critical thinking. In fact it's one of the most common smear tactics for defending sexual assault perpetrators. It's bullshit when people do it to Jane Doe, it's bullshit when you do it about Tara Reade.

The last time an iteration of this thread went through this, it all went very badly and there were quite a few people who left and never came back due to the seriously undercooked views a lot of the men (sorry, but, y'know) here have on sexual assault. It's one thing to intellectually understand that people with mental illness or disability are the most likely people to be victims of assault -- sexual or otherwise -- it's quite another to actually recognize that when it presents itself.

Victims do not need to be perfect; they don't need to be likeable, hell, they don't even need to be good people. But for a lot of men (again, sorry), the ability to empathize with a victim is generally contingent on him being able to see her as someone in his own life. Biden being much more handsy than appropriate isn't news or a new thing for anyone to hear, but a lot of people really do have trouble recognizing what counts as assault because so much of it is played off as "he's from a different era" or "she's overreacting." The best we can do, I think, is to reiterate that there's no good reason for victims of sexual assault to go on record to smear a powerful man because it has been shown repeatedly through the ages that doing so will literally ruin your life. See: Anita Hill; Dr. Christine Blasey-Ford; etc, etc.

Personally, I was sexually assaulted as a child multiple times and was told "no you weren't" by people who were literally there while it happened. The burden of proof required to get people to believe you when the person you're accusing is well-liked or powerful is astronomical. It doesn't really matter if she's decided to be a Russian spy or whatever at this point, because none of what she said impacted Biden at all. There's no reason to hound her for more details or delve into whatever her life is like now, but for whatever reason it's a common thing to see when someone "lied" (read: didn't have enough evidence for people already disinclined to believe them) about sexual assault. It sucks.

I'd prefer it if we went back to talking about thread-rules lawyering or food chat or that there are no mountains on the east coast, tbh.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fister Roboto posted:

Saying "she lied about one thing, that means she's probably lying about being sexually assaulted" isn't critical thinking.
It's not "lied about one thing" so much as an unambiguous and sustained pattern of manipulation and deceit that had now been capped off by fleeing to the arms of a fascist foreign power.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoft posted:

Americans are so loving weird about the human body. Being naked is not the same thing as "wiping your dick out". Why are you here, when there are so many children being sexually abused because they saw an old man in the locker room at the Y you could be saving?

What is acceptable depends on the culture we live in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Adenoid Dan posted:

I hear he even packs them a hot lunch when he travels

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I’m pretty grossed out and appalled by a number of statements made in the past few pages. Biden has, at best, touched and kissed women and children without their consent (on camera even). Why anyone would be willing to spend time to defend him or spend time discrediting allegations is beyond me.

This post that started it all is incredibly gross. What is the point of this post and a single “LOL” behind it?

Also I’m confused why it was able to be posted at all without a summary and just a simple acronym.

I’d love and explanation on why this post doesn’t violate rule I.A.6.a

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
When I was young living in Europe everyone was naked and it was nbd, it's the weirdos sexualizing nudity that's the problem.

What we have are people trying to foist their learned shame on others.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yawgmoft posted:

Uh does this mean there is a possibility that Biden's sexual assault allegation was a Russian psy-op?

Why would anyone flee to Russia in 2023 if they're not literally a Russian asset?

The far-right (including Russia) have been openly friendly and welcoming toward her, for fairly obvious political reasons.

Moreover, she was reportedly having career troubles even before the Biden accusations made it even harder for her to find a decent job. And she has some knowledge of Russia and some connections there as a result of research she did for a novel she was writing, and posted a bunch of pro-Putin stuff online during Trump's first term. If the Russian government made her a good offer, it's not hard to see why she'd take it, regardless of whether or not she'd been previously involved with them.

In summary, her trip to Russia doesn't tell us whether her sexual assault allegations against Biden are true or false. It does, however, suggest (though not outright confirm) that Putin or other powerful Russian figures are interested in those allegations, since it's hard to imagine that she managed to arrange a Sputnik press conference without a patron of some kind.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Archonex posted:

Yeah, there's way too many people being lovely trolls or bad faith arguers to continue this discussion. Still trying to process Fister's nonsense about how she only lied about one thing when in reality it was so much more than that.
I've posted in nothing but good faith and think calling those posts rape apologia is fair

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I’m pretty grossed out and appalled by a number of statements made in the past few pages.

I think we all are, although obviously for wildly different reasons.

As you point out, there's plenty of actually disturbing stuff to pin on Biden, dipping into the conservative bullshit wells of "everything is inherently sexual and people must be protected from that" and "divergence from the norm is morally wrong and weirdness is bad" as the foundation of your arguments should be unnecessary - and yet people can't help themselves.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
biden isnt european hes american

and america its weird to be naked in front of strangers or professional colleagues

him skinny dipping in front of the secrer service, is weird