Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Down to desert stuff and the Thunder Manifestation to clear, the latter of which still stumps me as to how to proceed. It's got a bargeload of HP, and eliminating Fischl wipes out most of my main damage options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Lobsterpillar posted:

Yeah geo resonance is a great source of shield.

I guess just goes to show that how a character plays in game Vs their card can be very different, even if superficially similar
Yeah strong Collei in the CCG is awesome. Plus her dynamic skin burst animation is the best one.

gandlethorpe posted:

Cryo and Electro aren't garbage to run together, for one
Lol I have the exact same experience. At least I get to run Ayaka + Fischl SOMEWHERE.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

https://twitter.com/genshin_ddkdk/status/1663381058673594369

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

delfin posted:

Down to desert stuff and the Thunder Manifestation to clear, the latter of which still stumps me as to how to proceed. It's got a bargeload of HP, and eliminating Fischl wipes out most of my main damage options.

delfin posted:

Jean 80 C1 / Festering Desire 90 (main character, never leaves my team)
Fischl 80 C4 / Skyward Harp 90
Albedo 80 C0 / Prototype Rancour 71
Beidou 80 C2 / Prototype Archaic 74
Xiangling 70 C2 / Crescent Pike 80
Xingqiu 70 C3 / Sacrificial Sword 70
Klee 70 C0 / Prototype Amber 59
Diona 70 C0 / Favonius Warbow 60
Razor 70 C1 / Debate Club 70
Ningguang 61 C1 / Eye of Perception 70
Noelle 60 C4 / The Bell 50
Sucrose 60 C3 / Sacrificial Fragments 54
Barbara 60 C1 / Thrilling Tales 40
Xinyan 60 C0 / Prototype Archaic 64
(afterthoughts after this point, obviously)
Kaeya 50 C1
Traveler 40 C6
Amber 40 C1
Lisa 20 C1
Kaveh 1 C0
Collei 1 C0

This is just how I play so you don't have to care about it if it doesn't interest you, but since you get 3 of the basic blue 'Not Event Banner' Fates from taking people to 70/80 I recommend leveling everyone up to that degree even if you're not gonna play them. As far as teams go, I think maybe Diona, Xingqiu, Kirara, Albedo/Jean? Could work? Albedo will probably not be able to contribute damage wise but having extra shields won't hurt. Plus his cooldown's so short that even if the construct gets destroyed you should be able to put it back near immediately.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

delfin posted:

TM is a ranged pyro check. Klee, Yoimiya, Yanfei, etc. Outside of abyss where you're not on a time limit there's also Hu Tao, Xiangling, Bennet, Diluc... you're pretty much just looking for a good fire + other. Add a healer/shielder if you can't foodheal through it.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Nah, the answer to TM is the same as 90% of bosses: just hyperbloom it

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I throw rocks at it with ningguang

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

So japan had a Genius Invokation TCG tournament and apparently the finals was a Zhongli/Raiden/Ningguang mirror??? I guess Zhongli's talent card gets really crazy.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I've tried out my fledgling Yoimiya there, and I can at least see the HP bar move, albeit a pixel at a time. It's a war of attrition and figuring out how to avoid damage, I suppose.

I don't know that I'd call Klee "ranged damage" since her effective range is about ten feet.

On the plus side, I did finally manage to get the 12 Abyss Stars BP award. Minus is that I can only do it once, as some of those stars came from floors 7 and 8.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

delfin posted:

I've tried out my fledgling Yoimiya there, and I can at least see the HP bar move, albeit a pixel at a time. It's a war of attrition and figuring out how to avoid damage, I suppose.

I don't know that I'd call Klee "ranged damage" since her effective range is about ten feet.

On the plus side, I did finally manage to get the 12 Abyss Stars BP award. Minus is that I can only do it once, as some of those stars came from floors 7 and 8.

Well the good news is you have 40(or 80ish) days to improve before you need to do it again!

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

gandlethorpe posted:

Nah, the answer to TM is the same as 90% of bosses: just hyperbloom it
Yeah there were somewhat limited options before but after 3.0 dendro and dendro reactions just rip through it like they do with everything else. Before then I mostly just used Ganyu when farming the overworld one since :effort:

Kale
May 14, 2010

I wonder if some of the people that have been insisting Mihoyo is absolutely forcing the TCG on them have even actually played the event which is not only way shorter than the last one but way shorter in general. Like the people that hate the reading and the TCG are both well served here because it requires winning all of 4 games on easy for primos and each event story is like 25 mins tops through 3 of them as opposed to 45-90 mins.

No Wave posted:

So japan had a Genius Invokation TCG tournament and apparently the finals was a Zhongli/Raiden/Ningguang mirror??? I guess Zhongli's talent card gets really crazy.

Any footage anywhere or was it just an on site private event thing? I take it Japan hasnt developed a consensus about it being the worst thing ever then?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could really use a keqingmains website for tcg alone

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I could really use a keqingmains website for tcg alone
There seems to be way less interest for it in the west than even Japan (let alone China). I get annoyed at how few resources there are too. Put "deck import codes" on your surveys this month pls.

Kale
May 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

There seems to be way less interest for it in the west than even Japan (let alone China). I get annoyed at how few resources there are too. Put "deck import codes" on your surveys this month pls.

Not terribly surprising as TCG just isn't as popular in the West as Asia and again there seemed to be this rapidly accepted concensus in English speaking circles that its just kind of the worst without a really compelling argument as to why precisely.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's slow, excessively random, and it's a start-from-zero grind for resources in a game that already demands at least 100% of a sane person's capacity for grinding by design

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the bigger question is what anyone sees in it positively

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I liked in this event with the first two matches where you had omni dice? Definitely showed me that the dice stuff is the worst part of the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I want the cat but I have no gems :cry:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

1. It requires learning a different ruleset with different nuances compared to the regular/rest of the game, especially with the new (?) mechanics they added for charged attacks and plunging attacks with this event.
2. Its RNG based (everyone hates the artifact grind, which is also RNG, so there's some associative trauma there).
3. It has no reward track that exists outside of the minigame itself (unlike, say, the teapot which has a weekly resetting shop with useful things).
4. Also, it takes forever just to play a single round.

Any single one of the above by themselves would be enough of a reason for me to skip out on it unless its required to get primos or crowns ( which I do), but all of them exist. It's just not worth the hassle unless you are already a TCG person, in which case, I guess good for you, enjoy?

They should have just kept it a limited time minigame with nothing but pregen decks that they roll out for the occasional event, like windtrace, instead of turning it into a mainline feature.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Waaay too high effort to compare it to Windtrace. They absolutely should speed up the roll phase, neat that they made dice physics and all but they really don't need to be shown after the first roll of the game.

I joined a bunch of random worlds today to do a daily commission in another world to reroll Project Baby tomorrow and a few people in NA were in the cat's tail. So it's not totally ignored. But deck import/automatically made decks could really help people out who dont know every deck should be a resonance deck.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the bigger question is what anyone sees in it positively

TCGs are just physical gacha

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Genius Invokation TCG rules because there is zero randomness to collecting everything. You can get every card. You're not doing blind card packs or poo poo like that. Most of the cards are just straight able to be purchased.

Also it's a fun chill time. I don't do any of the multiplayer duels, but I sure as gently caress have almost completed every single NPC adventure challenge and duel.

Genius Invokation TCG haters can vacate.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'd like it if its animations weren't slow as hell. Sorry for complaining about this again but it's SOOOO SLOWWWW and I'd rather be playing Inazuma story quests than staring at dice roll.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the TCG is also 100% ignorable if you don't want to play it, by virtue of having nothing but TCG rewards locked behind it

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Yeah there were somewhat limited options before but after 3.0 dendro and dendro reactions just rip through it like they do with everything else. Before then I mostly just used Ganyu when farming the overworld one since :effort:

Literally the only boss that hard counters Dendro is Fire Cube, and that's because it's permanent pyro aura uselessly eats all dendro app.

anyway, the worst thing about tcg event is having to suffer through terrible deck design, against opponents with no such restrictions. eh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the tcg's design isnt terrible but its insanely slow both in a ui sense and in a game design sense. they should have just fully committed to the pokemon ripoff and had energy cards.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I do tend to agree that it plays a little slow yeah

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It also isn't very fun starting with meh cards and being forced to use filler literally worthless to your deck to meet minimum size requirements. I think folks really into the TCG forgot how bad the starting stuff is. It's a barrier to entry. If I have a half hour to play genshin I'm going to do some combination of something; currently fun, that gets me primos,or improves the base gameplay loop.
The TCG at level 1 or 2 does none of those, even if I might enjoy it at some later level.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the TCG does get you primos though. feel like multiple people are missing this, you get a chunk every time you go up a TCG level. ofc dont bother with it if you dont want to i think even if you max it out you get maybe a dozen rolls worth, but.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
yeah but

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

the TCG does get you primos though. feel like multiple people are missing this, you get a chunk every time you go up a TCG level. ofc dont bother with it if you dont want to i think even if you max it out you get maybe a dozen rolls worth, but.

While that's true, it does require quite a bit of work to get all of them and it's not like it's thousands of primogens. I don't mind the game that much as I don't understand how to play it and enjoy when I'm winning and don't really like it when I'm not.

Like I haven't put the work in to make all the furniture sets or do hangouts for primigems either because I'm just not that interested in a one on one conversation with a silent protagonist. The other characters interacting together is what's interesting to me.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I do enjoy the TCG, but the biggest improvement I can think of would be to create something like a points system instead of the current three character system. Give a player 30 points to distribute amongst their characters, so they could have ten 3-point characters, three 10-point characters, or one 30-point character, and build a deck around that. The system is optimized for three 10-point characters as it currently stands, but you'd at least introduce some deck variety that players might want to build around.

Basically what I'm saying is that I want to build a slime weenie deck

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shinji2015 posted:

I do enjoy the TCG, but the biggest improvement I can think of would be to create something like a points system instead of the current three character system. Give a player 30 points to distribute amongst their characters, so they could have ten 3-point characters, three 10-point characters, or one 30-point character, and build a deck around that. The system is optimized for three 10-point characters as it currently stands, but you'd at least introduce some deck variety that players might want to build around.

So what happens if someone uses pierce on your ten three health characters?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 31, 2023

franks
Jan 1, 2007

Alcoholism is the only
disease you can get
yelled at for having.

No Wave posted:

You chose….. poorly.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

No Wave posted:

:shrug:

I'm fine with it being a suboptimal strategy. I just want more options for deckbuilding, and I think there's room to explore beyond the current three character system

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

delfin posted:

She can throw upwards (I think?) which is something melees can't do. TM isn't really difficult beyond being effectively invulnerable the melee for the bulk of the fight. In general, though, if you're fighting a level 91 enemy with a level 60 (or whatever) character and a level 50 bow and some random 4* artifacts things are probably going to be a bit more difficult than they're intended to be. Yoimiya is a great TM counter appropriately leveled/geared.

Kale posted:

Not terribly surprising as TCG just isn't as popular in the West as Asia and again there seemed to be this rapidly accepted concensus in English speaking circles that its just kind of the worst without a really compelling argument as to why precisely.

I have no idea why, culturally, there would be a difference so I can't speak to that. In terms of why it's not a great game there's plenty of reasoning behind that. The dice adding a heavy manascrew element sucks. The UI is so slow that I don't even bother with the weeklies. Constant nerfs means good characters have a one patch shelf life. At the core of it, though, it just isn't deep enough to be a good game.

If you were to take a Magic example: we both have a creature and you attack. This simple action fires off so many variables. I might want to block, or not. I might have a card that can prevent this attack, but still choose to withhold it. I'm reading your hand, your deck, the field, my hand, my knowledge of what has happened so far... there's so many things going on that this rather benign situation feels unique and super interesting.

If I have the energy and dice to burst on XQ, I burst 100% of the time. I will then switch characters to utilize that burst. There is literally no value in withholding it or not switching that can beat the value of doing it. As my opponent, you also know this. If I can kill a character, I will. If you have a card in your hand and it could be I Haven't Lost Yet? I'm still killing that character. Whether or not you have/play that card is inconsequential to my actions. The only thing that matters at all is how many and what color dice are available... which is random.

It ends up feeling a lot like Monopoly or Sorry. You're moving the pieces, and there can be fun in doing that, but once you try to get past the surface you realize the game is playing itself and you're just following the instructions.

There's the argument that this is a minigame within the real game and I'm not arguing against that. If it appeared like Windtrace or tower defense or OSU we'd probably never really notice. You don't lose anything by not engaging with it on a weekly basis. If you're wondering why it was a huge hit and then died, though, there ya go.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

There are summonable monster cards. I’ve never used them.

Took Hu Tao out to do weekly matches. She’s fun, and easy to use with the new artifact set. I have her in a proficiency team, but i think she’d be great with Mona. Dunno if I’d ever use her in pvp. She;s greedy for field time which tend to screw you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I GOT THE CATGIRL, MY MISERABLE LIFE IS NOW WORTH IT

e: next roll was my first Layla...what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Mailer posted:

She can throw upwards (I think?) which is something melees can't do. TM isn't really difficult beyond being effectively invulnerable the melee for the bulk of the fight. In general, though, if you're fighting a level 91 enemy with a level 60 (or whatever) character and a level 50 bow and some random 4* artifacts things are probably going to be a bit more difficult than they're intended to be. Yoimiya is a great TM counter appropriately leveled/geared.

Oh, I wasn't expecting miracles with my Yoimiya-in-progress and I didn't get them yet, either. I can see where she would be a very solid counter; there's a video out there of someone wrecking TM with a buffed-up Amber, for instance. Time and effort and pulling better gear (I have a hand-me-down Stringless on her right now, which seems suboptimal on her) will provide.