Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

James Garfield posted:

https://twitter.com/adamcancryn/status/1663689714145083392

McCarthy somehow got negotiated into increasing the number of SNAP recipients by 78,000???

No one doubted the no. of recipients would increase if the criteria for eligibility included the unhoused, given that that number (at the minimum) constitutes hundreds of thousands of people in this country, especially if the unhoused are not subject to the work requirements under the bill.

The issue isn't the total number of people on SNAP; the issue is the barriers presented by economic & other manners of means-testing, like work requirements, that end up costing more than they save given the administrative costs and/or shifting federal money to NGOs to oversee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

biden isnt european hes american

and america its weird to be naked in front of strangers or professional colleagues

him skinny dipping in front of the secrer service, is weird

It’s not weird, it’s sexual harassment and he should have been arrested for doing it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

snorch posted:

When I was young living in Europe everyone was naked and it was nbd, it's the weirdos sexualizing nudity that's the problem.

What we have are people trying to foist their learned shame on others.
Cultural context very much matters. If you’ve got secret service in the room, just put on some swim jammers, Christ.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Killer robot posted:

That's not at all incompatible. I don't mean "serial rapist" in the terms of someone who stalks strangers: someone attacking a number of girlfriends/dates/coworkers/etc, people he already knew, is what it had suggested. Repeat offenders who keep going until they're stopped because that's how they treat the women in their lives.

But again, even if it's true that only a fraction of rapes are committed by a one-time offender, the magic of statistics means that a larger percentage of rapists are one-time offenders, so "there weren't any other accusations" wouldn't mean much even in a world where victims all came forward.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I was operating under an incorrect definition of serial rapist. Do you know if there's any good epidemiological data on perpetration? Because obviously, the data that we get from the UCR is only going to be those convicted. On the other hand it's also not something that you're liable to self report. I imagine we just don't have a lot of good data on it.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

OctaMurk posted:

biden isnt european hes american

and america its weird to be naked in front of strangers or professional colleagues

him skinny dipping in front of the secrer service, is weird

I had to learn something, now you have to learn it too:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_swimming_classes_in_the_United_States

Apparently for people of Biden's generation this would have been extremely common.

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s not weird, it’s sexual harassment and he should have been arrested for doing it.

This is like, a joke, right? This isn't even remotely enough information to classify this as sexual harassment.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 31, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Yawgmoft posted:

Apparently for people of Biden's generation this would have been extremely common.
Note those were never co-ed sessions. That was also many decades ago, and totally irrelevant.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

World Famous W posted:

I've posted in nothing but good faith and think calling those posts rape apologia is fair

I don't have problems with you World Famous W. It's the rear end in a top hat showing up and going "You're a threat to women in your lives! *cutesy emote*" and Fister trying to apply a reductive claim to something vastly larger than that that have made me give up on discussing this.

As i've said, the claims against Biden should not be tossed out on account of her past behavior. But the pattern of cynically exploiting the trust of others, lying in a way that undermines her claim, and the vast majority of character related stuff like literally claiming to be the victim of domestic abuse to get custody of her kid and then perjuring herself so thoroughly in cases involving domestic abuse as a witness that the prosecution even admitted she was an issue, and now this --- claiming she has proof of a conspiracy by Biden and fleeing into the arms of a fascist power after spending decades running fairly organized lies against a vast multitude of people for her own profit that lead to harm and in several cases even the destruction of other people's lives and freedom is not going to help her case and makes her look like another grifter. You're free to disagree with this if you want. I have no problem with that. But i'm telling you, that that's what it looks like for someone who is familiar with gaslighting abusers who know how to prey on other people like that.

It is not rape apologia to point out that someone has consistently shown they have no bottom when it comes to a lack of honesty, and has actively hosed over other people to the point of possibly ruining their lives with seemingly no remorse whatsoever. It is pointing out that people should withhold judgement on the situation until more is known given the tremendous amount of damage that she has done to other people's lives, sometimes literally contributing to ruining them with prison time even though she herself claims to have been the victim of the same horrible thing.

Or to put it as someone else did:

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's not "lied about one thing" so much as an unambiguous and sustained pattern of manipulation and deceit that had now been capped off by fleeing to the arms of a fascist foreign power.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 31, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

This is like, a joke, right?

And calling African Americans racist words was OK when he was growing up. Does that give him a free pass to yell racist epithets around African Americans?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FlapYoJacks posted:

This is indistinguishable from the logic conservatives use about gay pride events and drag shows. Perhaps you should do something about that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Archonex posted:

Sure thing!
For the manipulative, deceitful, and user of people thing:
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/15/tara-reade-left-trail-of-aggrieved-acquaintances-260771

For the perjury thing and other stuff

https://www.montereycountyweekly.co...24a816d1cb.html

That probe was closed without any findings, and the other allegations here are at least contested

https://theintercept.com/2021/03/14/new-york-times-tara-reade/

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

And calling African Americans racist words was OK when he was growing up. Does that give him a free pass to yell racist epithets around African Americans?

The human body is like a racism car

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I was operating under an incorrect definition of serial rapist. Do you know if there's any good epidemiological data on perpetration? Because obviously, the data that we get from the UCR is only going to be those convicted. On the other hand it's also not something that you're liable to self report. I imagine we just don't have a lot of good data on it.

It's a hard thing to get good data about for sure. A quick check turned out one study that focused on college students, but pretty sure I've seen it on other groups too.

https://jimhopper.com/topics/sexual-assault-and-the-brain/repeat-rape-by-college-men/

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Yawgmoft posted:

This is disingenuous and you know so. Something being socially acceptable in the past does not give you an excuse to do it in the present if it’s no longer socially acceptable.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Yawgmoft posted:

And a sexual-assault apologia car, apparently.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

FlapYoJacks posted:

This is disingenuous and you know so. Something being socially acceptable in the past does not give you an excuse to do it in the present if it’s no longer socially acceptable.

Something offending your personal sensibilities or not being "socially acceptable" does mean it is morally wrong or should be forbidden.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

GlyphGryph posted:

Something offending your personal sensibilities or not being "socially acceptable" does mean it is morally wrong or should be forbidden.

Wow it sounds like these secret service agents should just leave if he's making them uncomfortable

Hey what was all that fuss about Louis CK, just normal human body stuff

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Show me where it’s socially acceptable in the United States to purposefully swim nude in front of your female subordinates.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Real blast from the past vibes going on here. Insane Tara Reade arguments, posts from uninterrupted like from back before he copped a double ban from here and cspam, now all we need is some reregs dropping in

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Let's go ahead and say that the full variety of opinions on Joe Biden's swimming preferences have been expressed and move on, please.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
E: sorry mods

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

Is it a valuable use of your time to defend a man who has, on camera, touched and kissed women and children without their consent?

Baronash posted:

Let's go ahead and say that the full variety of opinions on Joe Biden's swimming preferences have been expressed and move on, please.

Drafted and posted before seeing this.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

snorch posted:

When I was young living in Europe everyone was naked and it was nbd, it's the weirdos sexualizing nudity that's the problem.

What we have are people trying to foist their learned shame on others.

It doesn't work that way here, where men exposing their genitals to women is used as a power-and-intimidation tactic, or in this instance.

It has nothing to do with "shame" and everything to do with the hostile subjugation of women entrusted with the life & safety of the guy harassing them.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

edit per mod directive

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 31, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Baronash posted:

I’m glad we can just agree to disagree on this.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Regardless of what you think of her past claims, I can't help but little amused by the idea that Tara Reade is on the run from homicidal federal agents determined to silence her, but somehow also so tied into deep state intelligence networks and high-level Democratic politics that she already knows the details of Biden's plans to steal the '24 election. What is she, Jack Ryan or something?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
settle down, mellow seas

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Yeah sorry but if he always swam naked and the secret service has a rule like "we can't look away while you swim" well that sucks but I wouldn't change my habits either.

E: " you cannot go to and onsen for four years" would be a hard pass for me.

Sorry that the vice president loses his private life but seems like a fair trade.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Man, I've been offline all day, but there's a sparkle in the air like an antagonistic power with a weaponized media army co-opted a contentious yet vulnerable figure for a throwaway media clip just to drum up confusion and the misplaced hatred/infighting that naturally ensues at no cost to said antagonistic power. Oh well might as well use my sit-down time to start catching up on the ol' USCE thread to make sure that's not the ca- *balls explode, turlet shrapnel penetrates two walls and the fridge*

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

It doesn't work that way here, where men exposing their genitals to women is used as a power-and-intimidation tactic, or in this instance.

It has nothing to do with "shame" and everything to do with the hostile subjugation of women entrusted with the life & safety of the guy harassing them.

I thought a liberal viewpoint was that conservatives in America are too uptight about “sex” but wholly don’t have a problem with violence (as depicted in film/media for instance) so what the hell is the problem with being more “European” in this regard?

Joe must have some Hunter-Dick going on if you think he’s “intimidating” his female subordinates with his dangly old man parts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Majin posted:

I thought a liberal viewpoint was that conservatives in America are too uptight about “sex” but wholly don’t have a problem with violence (as depicted in film/media for instance) so what the hell is the problem with being more “European” in this regard?

Joe must have some Hunter-Dick going on if you think he’s “intimidating” his female subordinates with his dangly old man parts.

so - just to be clear here - your take is that getting naked in front of your female subordinates is okay as long as you're an old guy with a little dick

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I for one have always been a supporter of Rap Culture...

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Killer robot posted:

It's a hard thing to get good data about for sure. A quick check turned out one study that focused on college students, but pretty sure I've seen it on other groups too.

https://jimhopper.com/topics/sexual-assault-and-the-brain/repeat-rape-by-college-men/

Very cool thanks. This is what I was looking for. It cites this one, which seems pretty solid:

Swartout KM, Koss MP, White JW, Thompson MP, Abbey A, Bellis AL. Trajectory Analysis of the Campus Serial Rapist Assumption. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Dec;169(12):1148-54. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.0707. Erratum in: JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Dec;169(12):1179. PMID: 26168230.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronash posted:

Is this a warning about discussing the Reade story at all, or just about the nude swimming thing?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fister Roboto posted:

Is this a warning about discussing the Reade story at all, or just about the nude swimming thing?

Just the swimming thing, which I think it is fair to say wasn't headed in anything approaching an interesting direction.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The whole discussion around Tara Reade has been abysmal

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cool thanks for the clarification.

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's not "lied about one thing" so much as an unambiguous and sustained pattern of manipulation and deceit that had now been capped off by fleeing to the arms of a fascist foreign power.

It doesn't matter how many other unrelated things she's lied about, or what she's done since then. She could have never told a single truth in her life and it wouldn't matter. She could have a picture of Putin on her nightstand and it wouldn't matter.

You don't have to like her. You don't have to believe her about anything else. You don't have to agree with her decision to move to Russia. But you have to understand that absolutely none of it is conclusive evidence that her allegations are false.

Like I said, this is exactly what rape defendants do. They dig into the victim's past, try to find anything that can paint them as untrustworthy. Sometimes they even dig up things that are true, and guess what? It doesn't loving matter.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Fister Roboto posted:

Cool thanks for the clarification.

It doesn't matter how many other unrelated things she's lied about, or what she's done since then. She could have never told a single truth in her life and it wouldn't matter. She could have a picture of Putin on her nightstand and it wouldn't matter.

You don't have to like her. You don't have to believe her about anything else. You don't have to agree with her decision to move to Russia. But you have to understand that absolutely none of it is conclusive evidence that her allegations are false.

Like I said, this is exactly what rape defendants do. They dig into the victim's past, try to find anything that can paint them as untrustworthy. Sometimes they even dig up things that are true, and guess what? It doesn't loving matter.

You are factually correct that if she's "never told a single truth in her life" it doesn't conclusively prove that she's wrong.

Your saying that "it doesn't loving matter" is a matter of opinion, and I'll suspect it's far from universal. If someone has in fact never told a single truth in their life, I am going to be inclined to disbelieve their allegations until I get a chance to hear the other side and am given at least some level of evidence or third-party corroboration. Especially if they're openly aligning themselves with groups that are known to spread lies for ulterior political motives.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The Washington Post has a well-researched and written article on the right wing christian home schooling movement, framed by the narrative of some of the families that grew up in it and are now breaking out of its clutches.

The revolt of the Christian home-schoolers

quote:

They said goodbye to Aimee outside her elementary school, watching nervously as she joined the other children streaming into a low brick building framed by the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Christina and Aaron Beall stood among many families resuming an emotional but familiar routine: the first day of full-time, in-person classes since public schools closed at the beginning of the pandemic.

But for the Bealls, that morning in late August 2021 carried a weight incomprehensible to the parents around them. Their 6-year-old daughter, wearing a sequined blue dress and a pink backpack that almost obscured her small body, hesitated as she reached the doors. Although Aaron had told her again and again how brave she was, he knew it would be years before she understood how much he meant it — understood that for her mother and father, the decision to send her to school was nothing less than a revolt.

Aaron and Christina had never attended school when they were children. Until a few days earlier, when Round Hill Elementary held a back-to-school open house, they had rarely set foot inside a school building. Both had been raised to believe that public schools were tools of a demonic social order, government “indoctrination camps” devoted to the propagation of lies and the subversion of Christian families.

Across the country, interest in home schooling has never been greater. The Bealls could see the surge in Virginia, where nearly 57,000 children were being home-schooled in the fall of 2022 — a 28 percent jump from three years earlier. The rise of home education, initially unleashed by parents’ frustrations with pandemic-related campus closures and remote learning, has endured as one of the lasting social transformations wrought by covid-19.

But if the coronavirus was a catalyst for the explosion in home schooling, the stage was set through decades of painstaking work by true believers like those who had raised Aaron and Christina. Aided by the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) — a Christian nonprofit that has been dubbed “the most influential homeschool organization in the world,” and is based less than five miles from the Bealls’ house in Northern Virginia — those activists had fought to establish the legality of home schooling in the 1980s and early 1990s, conquering the skepticism of public school administrators and state lawmakers across the country.

Through their influence, a practice with roots in the countercultural left took on a very different character. Among conservative Christians, home schooling became a tool for binding children to fundamentalist beliefs they felt were threatened by exposure to other points of view. Rightly educated, those children would grow into what HSLDA founder Michael Farris called a “Joshua Generation” that would seek the political power and cultural influence to reshape America according to biblical principles.

The authors are seeking stories from people who have had experience with the home school movement, if anyone is able to contribute.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Tatsuta Age posted:

very cool of you to slam in here and immediately kinda prove kronix's point

I already was posting in here and I don't believe it proves Kronix's point.

People have been complaining that "believe women" was out of control since almost the very beginning of #metoo. It's a very very common way to shut down people who believe women.

And like I said, there's no perfect victim and I'd rather err on the side of the victim especially when the dude has been caught touching people inappropriately so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Discendo Vox posted:

The authors are seeking stories from people who have had experience with the home school movement, if anyone is able to contribute.

There was one person around here who would probably have a lot to say about it but I'm pretty sure she doesn't post here anymore.