Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBF for all the US South sympathising crap, the show doesn't shy away from showing the space confederates as impoverished lawless hellhole planets where slavery and tyranny is the norm.

The space unionists live in gleaming sci fi metropolises with a mild case of MIB authoritarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
that's true! and Our Heroes depend on these conditions to get work, and if the space unionists helped everyone with poo poo like access to medical care and shelter, well, Mal would be out of a job

our main characters specifically don't want things to get better for anyone bc it threatens what they see as their 'way of life', so they're crab bucketing and for some reason its being presented heroically

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Firefly had the following:

Fighting against big corporations
Interracial marriage
Normalizing sex work

It is quite possibly the most liberal and progressive show in history

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

joss whedon is a cultural war criminal and should be held accountable for his crime.s.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

NoiseAnnoys posted:

joss whedon is a cultural war criminal and should be held accountable for his crime.s.

Lol he’s still making Marvel movies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I would like to note that alternate universe Kira owns lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Reince Priebus

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I bet Joss Whedon fans have lower than average life expectancies.

On account of the obesity.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, to be fair, it also had one of the worst TV theme songs of all time.

Enterprise is worse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbnTZREMEJI

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Firefly sucked rear end lol

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lol he’s still making Marvel movies

truly the kissinger of nerds.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Firefly still garbage. This thread has more views than the avg firefly episode

Never seen it but the more you rag on it the cooler it seems

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wanted to like Firefly but it just felt like it was made for 13 year olds. If I had watched it when I was actually 13 I’m sure I would have loved it

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I don't know if known sex pest Joss Whedon's Confederate-empathetic work is the what I'd use to try the ol' 'the more you sensitive nerds hate it, the more I LOVE IT!!' tactic but hey. You do you.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 31, 2023

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The confederacy only lasted one season lol lmfao

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Things that I remember liking about Firefly:

Alan Tudyk

Nathan Fillion

The scene where they do the "let's lose them by flying through this crazy canyon" thing and the pursuer just flies above the canyon

Early the bounty hunter

C'mon everyone, let's be positive here.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Oh gently caress you're gonna make me quip.
-J. Whedon

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

If it was so good how come they only made one season?

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Tnuctip posted:

Freaks and Geeks

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jelly posted:

Freaks and Geeks

But enough about GBS posters

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I remember all through the early 2000s and into the early 2010s everyone was all, "oh Joss Whedon write such good female characters and his shows are so great for women and blah blah," and that never felt accurate to me. The "strong" women in his shows only ever had strength or depth from having the absolute poo poo beaten out of them by a man/men until they became beautiful broken dolls with superhuman skills. Firefly was no different, Zoe was the only woman character with a hint of agency.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Tnuctip posted:

It was too woke for 2004

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Ok I was joking about liking I before I've had that dumb drat song stuck in my head all day

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

13Pandora13 posted:

I remember all through the early 2000s and into the early 2010s everyone was all, "oh Joss Whedon write such good female characters and his shows are so great for women and blah blah," and that never felt accurate to me. The "strong" women in his shows only ever had strength or depth from having the absolute poo poo beaten out of them by a man/men until they became beautiful broken dolls with superhuman skills. Firefly was no different, Zoe was the only woman character with a hint of agency.

Buffy was a hot girl show written not to alienate women viewers. I think Alyson Hannigan said she didn’t even imagine her character was important to lesbians until fans told her so.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I remember trying to watch Firefly and not being able to get past two episodes or so which I don't remember anything about. But I watched the movie and I thought to myself that the big bad was stolen by the Mass Effect games, the reavers or reapers or someshit?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
When I saw the Fright Night remake about 13 years ago, I was just rolling my eyes at the film.

Turned out a Buffy writer also wrote it.

Fright Night's about due for a Teen Wolf/Buffy/Stargate tv series reboot, though.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

The theme song was okay.

The sci-fi show with the most wrongly-maligned theme song is Star Trek: Enterprise. :colbert:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I just think all things considered we should all be extremely grateful Firefly never got a Musical Episode

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Bible posted:

The theme song was okay.

The sci-fi show with the most wrongly-maligned theme song is Star Trek: Enterprise. :colbert:

I was going to comment on the weirdos trying to one up one another on hating an okay show but this trash opinion really needs to be dealt with. Please never post again, and leave the planet so I can be assured we will never meet. The only question worth exploring is which version is the worst not whether or not it's wrongly maligned.

Howard Beale posted:

I just think all things considered we should all be extremely grateful Firefly never got a Musical Episode

Man, the man they call Jane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI-fiGUjAPY

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Farscape was the best of them, partly because of the muppet aliens. The muppet aliens ruled

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Duck and Cover posted:

I was going to comment on the weirdos trying to one up one another on hating an okay show but this trash opinion really needs to be dealt with. Please never post again, and leave the planet so I can be assured we will never meet. The only question worth exploring is which version is the worst not whether or not it's wrongly maligned.

I do believe I said ":colbert:".

empty sea posted:

Farscape was the best of them, partly because of the muppet aliens. The muppet aliens ruled

Quoting for truth. Also, for being a ship full of weirdo outcasts but the human is the most deranged out of all of them, constantly stomping around the halls loudly ranting nonsense.

LEXX was also a good fever-dream. Tell me any other show where a holographic Tim Curry tries to impregnate a janitor with his robot dick.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 31, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The Bible posted:

I do believe I said ":colbert:".

Quoting for truth. Also, for being a ship full of weirdo outcasts but the human is the most deranged out of all of them, constantly stomping around the halls loudly ranting nonsense.

LEXX was also a good fever-dream. Tell me any other show where a holographic Tim Curry tries to impregnate a janitor with his robot dick.

The song sucked and even dino Nazis couldn't save the show from also sucking. Which you would know if you weren't some sort of eldritch horror masquerading as a human. Actually I suspect you do know that and are trying to fool people. YOU CAN'T FOOL ME.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

drat, i forgot how bad that was

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Buce posted:

drat, i forgot how bad that was

Nah, it was a bold choice and it rules.

I also unironically love Voyager. Fight me.

Edit: Not as much as DS9 though, I'm not Satan

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I don't know if known sex pest Joss Whedon's Confederate-empathetic work is the what I'd use to try the ol' 'the more you sensitive nerds hate it, the more I LOVE IT!!' tactic but hey. You do you.

check out this fucken dweeb

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The Bible posted:

I also unironically love Voyager. Fight me.

Quoting for posterity so your shame can live on.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Quoting for posterity so your shame can live on.

I'm a Voyager fan. I have no shame.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dispersal pattern Sierra. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Yeah IDK, maybe they just bought more or made them or something. Same with the shuttlecraft. And bulkheads, circuitry, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:owned: