Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah I'd say so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If you want maximum performance, get the rg353v, that's going to run most PS2 games decently and you can connect a Bluetooth controller and HDMI cable and use it as an android console :ouya:

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

If you want maximum performance, get the rg353v, that's going to run most PS2 games decently and you can connect a Bluetooth controller and HDMI cable and use it as an android console :ouya:

The RG353V will probably play the lightest PS2 games but I think it's an exaggeration to say it will play most. The Retroid Pocket 3+ has a better SOC and still struggles with that generation.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

trufflefoo posted:

I feeling quite nostalgic for my old gameboy. I seem to have lost it in the house moves over the years.
What’s the best of the retro consoles, in the vertical/GB form factor?
Mini Plus?

My first recommendation is analogue pocket. It’s beautiful, plays real games, elegant AF. Connects to the tv… but it’s expensive and there’s probably still a long wait for it.
My wife does OT shifts at her job and sometimes it’s just sitting in a chair while someone sleeps in the other room. I lent her my rg351p so she could play Tetris and she felt it was too complicated. I don’t dare give her the pocket, as I might never get it back.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

trufflefoo posted:

I feeling quite nostalgic for my old gameboy. I seem to have lost it in the house moves over the years.
Mini Plus?

Depends a bit on both how much you want to spend and how much power you want out of it, on the cheap end I'd say the Anbernic RG35XX(it and the Miyoo Mini Plus are near identical in most performance respects but the former is easier to find at the moment) while on the higher end I'd recommend the Anbernic RG353V at least if you're insistent on the device having a vertical Game Boy style layout, personally I think the horizontal RG353P model is better from an ergonomics angle but again it ultimately comes down to personal preference(both the P and V have cheaper versions, the PS and VS models respectively that do so by dropping the ability to dual boot into Android and dropping the touchscreen of the standard models, however being limited to Linux only does mean that you won't be able to get the most performance out of the higher end systems the device can handle and not having a touch screen also heavily limits what it can do with DS emulation)

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah the RG353 devices aren't really going to be handling PS2 games natively(assuming you use custom firmwares on both the Linux and Android sides the device's native emulation really tops out at Dreamcast and PSP emulation) but since they can handle Moonlight you can stream them from a computer that can handle PS2 and other systems beyond its native capabilities, what you said about it being usable as a TV box with its HDMI port and Bluetooth connectivity for controllers is accurate though(works with both it's Linux and Android modes in fact)

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Are you looking for one specifically for the nostalgia factor of the vmu, or just to have a tiny retro handheld?

Because Anbernic has this coming out soon that's going to be smaller, more powerful, and a lot cheaper

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Anbernic-RG-Nano-Official-details-revealed-for-new-gaming-handheld.720465.0.html

I’ll probably end up getting one of these too, but it’s mostly just one of those random retro handheld fixations I get every so often. This time, it’s micro handhelds.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m really hoping the Miyoo Flip comes in those insane colors the leaked photos have.

My RP3+ is awesome but I’m not finding myself using the screen’s real estate as much as I thought I would. May consider going back to 4:3 and a clamshell would definitely sweeten the deal.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Thinking about Oouyaghhbhhhhhh makes me wonder if the android set top retro console scene is still just a bunch of random Chinese boxes.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

coconono posted:

Thinking about Oouyaghhbhhhhhh makes me wonder if the android set top retro console scene is still just a bunch of random Chinese boxes.

You know it is

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yep, no-one cares about Android TV boxes when for their main purpose they're either little HDMI sticks or built into the TV itself and native Android gaming is lmao.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

njsykora posted:

Yep, no-one cares about Android TV boxes when for their main purpose they're either little HDMI sticks or built into the TV itself and native Android gaming is lmao.

The Walmart Onn box isn’t bad for $20.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The generic Samsung TV I brought already have all the youtube and streaming apps and very janky game streaming apps. I think its the main reason of people not buying NV Shield style TV boxes.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

njsykora posted:

I have an Nvidia Shield TV Pro that I keep in my "projector a/v equipment" bag and it I use it exclusively for sports streams over IPTV on KODI. Other than that I can't think of what it's good for.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

trufflefoo posted:

Mini Plus?

Miyoo Mini Plus and RG35XX are probably the easiest recs, as they're among the cheapest options for their performance and they're quite small (both smaller than a Game Boy Pocket). Here's a comparison of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdo44c2HsQY

If you're willing to go a little higher, the RG353V is stronger, can stretch to newer consoles a bit more, and in my opinion is a more comfortable size. It's about the size of a Game Boy Color.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Anyone bought the Miyoo Mini+ off Geekbuying? Currently on sale for $60 shipped there with a coupon code...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1663680440836694018?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Finally you can play switch games on the go

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
finally, portable switch games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thank god, so tired of my Switch Heavy

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

:thejoke:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Maybe they're talking about the Switch Pontoon, that's pretty heavy. We can all go Retro gaming on our boats now, isn't that grand?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
So I picked up a RG35XX, and it seems like I have two options for firmware (if I don't want the nobody tried default): MinUI if I want something that looks like a human designed it, at the cost of losing some of the emulators, or GarlicOS if I want to keep all of the functionality but then I've just turned this into a tiny Retroarch box.

a) Is there some third or more option out there I've missed in quick searches of this thread/online?
b) How feasible is swapping OSes between the two if I need to dig into titles on platforms MinUI doesn't support?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

secretly best girl posted:

So I picked up a RG35XX, and it seems like I have two options for firmware (if I don't want the nobody tried default): MinUI if I want something that looks like a human designed it, at the cost of losing some of the emulators, or GarlicOS if I want to keep all of the functionality but then I've just turned this into a tiny Retroarch box.

a) Is there some third or more option out there I've missed in quick searches of this thread/online?
b) How feasible is swapping OSes between the two if I need to dig into titles on platforms MinUI doesn't support?

If it's at all like Onion OS for the Miyoo Mini then Garlic OS should be default configured as such that you shouldn't really need to tinker around much with Retroarch so I'd say go with it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I doubt it's going to be under $100, but it will probably be competitive with the Anbernic rg353 series

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is this going to be in GBA SP shape?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
This is the current rumor, I hope it’s true:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rolo posted:

This is the current rumor, which is why I hope it’s true so much:

I get that they’re a “why not” kind of bonus addition, but ouch, that stick placement.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah like at that point I can absolutely see why not. But it's a Miyoo device so no-one will be able to buy it anyway.

Actually having said that, the Mini+ is in stock on their official store right now.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rinkles posted:

I get that they’re a “why not” kind of bonus addition, but ouch, that stick placement.

Well where else do you put them? If you don't put them in at all, will you break many PS1 games?

I see MM+ purple version is like $69 on Temu so I think they are in stock now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Well where else do you put them? If you don't put them in at all, will you break many PS1 games?

Ape Escape and uhhhh that's it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Pretty sure it breaks exactly 1 PS1 game.

I said this before and I love my RP3+ but I’m ready to go back to 4:3 and a clamshell would be the icing on the cake so I wouldn’t need a case. Since getting my SHTEEMDECK I don’t use these for anything that uses a 16:9 screen and I’m prolly gonna go back to something smaller.

That said the sticks are dumb and if it were 10 bucks cheaper without them then yeah I’d bite but oh well.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

You will break exactly 1 PS1 game, and if they're going to be that awkwardly positioned to where they might make the regular buttons annoying to use I'd rather just use one of the 60 other devices I own that can play Ape Escape including my PS5.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now that they're both somewhat available and software has been tinkered with for a few months, is there a clear winner between the 35XX and MM+ yet?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd personally go with the Miyoo for the wifi so I can do boxart scraping, but the 35XX's larger size is probably better if you have bigger hands. Those are the only 2 real differences though so I think it's personal preference now they're both in stock.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Rolo posted:

This is the current rumor, I hope it’s true:

if this didn't have sticks it'd be an instabuy for me, especially if it was this color scheme.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Screw it I ordered a Mini Plus. Found a reseller that will deliver it today for 80 while backed by Prime.

Mostly itching to use it for pre-PS1 so something this much smaller and portable than the RP3 sounds nice. Like unneeded sticks, empty screen space shouldn’t bother me but it does.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Sorry MM+ vs 35xx are old news, the next console war is between Miyoo Mini SP and Abnernic RG Nano.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Onion's latest beta update added the wifi time-sync function to the MM+ as well, so it's got something resembling RTC now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I bought a RG353P. I couldn't resist the SNES controller. Also it was roughly ~$105 on Temu which made it an easy decision