Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The movie was fine and is a pretty good beat for beat remake of the original save for some additional songs. The Eric song in particular was my biggest annoyance.

I think Melissa McCarthy was the weakest link, but honestly I expected that. Should have gone all in on diversity and gotten a true queen in there to ham it up and really piss off the masses. Divine would have wanted it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Lizzo was robbed IMO

We KNOW she can do an evil cackle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ZjgQi4bRE

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
https://twitter.com/amandadeibert/status/1662879331650244608/photo/1

Burn it all down. Disney was a mistake.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's piss. They are selling piss.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Movie was good. Probably one of the best of the live-action remakes so far. Eric's dramatic song was stupid but the actor seemed to know this wasn't his show and didn't try to pull focus from Ariel.

My biggest disappointment was the cutting of Les Poissons. I guess it would've been hard to do all that fish gutting and chopping in live action without being too visceral and unsettling, but the John Stamos scenery-chewing version from the live stage show a few years ago was fantastic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked it. Really surprised that the commercials and trailers have all looked so murky, because it's actually quite gorgeous. Under the Sea in particular is a knockout. I think everyone in the cast worked, and the changes they did to Eric really worked and were needed. Rather than being just something for Ariel to want because "boy pretty", this is a dude where five minutes after he's onscreen you're like "yeah, okay, I completely get why Ariel's into him, this relationship makes sense". Overall definitely the best remake they've done since Cinderella.

Specifics:
Loved that Ariel and her sisters all have jobs and King Triton is pissed at Ariel for not showing up to what's effectively a cabinet meeting, rather than some random song glorifying him for no reason.

Giving Ariel a "siren song" is... a bit weird? I'm not sure what that added, except for the implication that she ensorcells Eric on the beach when she rescues him? But it does play into a change I very much liked, where it's made much more obvious that Ursula is loving Ariel over on their deal and isn't playing fair right from the start. Selling Ariel "oh I'm just gonna take your siren song" and taking her entire voice instead, as well as making it so she can't even remember the terms, was neat. (Didn't love that they cut the entire "body language" verse of Poor Unfortunate Souls out, but at least the former change covers for it well, since Ursula can't be giving Ariel "advice" on how to handle not having a voice when she's not telling Ariel she won't have a voice.)

The other lyric change, in Kiss the Girl, to telling Eric to use his words and, y'know, ask for a kiss, I liked that one. She can't talk, dude. What's your excuse?

Cutting out the weird little squib-things that Usrula's victims turn into was dumb; she loses that cool visual aid during the song and instead Triton just has to disappear for no reason at the climax and come back similarly randomly.

Definitely missed Les Poissons. You couldn't put LMM in a chef's hat and let him chew the scenery for three minutes? C'mon.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The graphics teams were working on it far past the trailer, so that makes sense

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Yeah I had low expectations from the previews but it was really pretty.

That's a really good review CapAndy, pretty much my thoughts exactly. And you uncannily covered all the details my wife and I talked about on the way home.

CapnAndy posted:

Cutting out the weird little squib-things that Usrula's victims turn into was dumb; she loses that cool visual aid during the song and instead Triton just has to disappear for no reason at the climax and come back similarly randomly.

I think they axed this for the same reason they cut the song we both mentioned-- may have been a little tough to convert to live action without being too gross or scary. Overall it didn't take that much away, except for the bit you said about Triton.

CapnAndy posted:

Definitely missed Les Poissons. You couldn't put LMM in a chef's hat and let him chew the scenery for three minutes? C'mon.

I don't hate LMM as much as others do for some reason so I think this would've been great (aside from how, y'know, he's not a very good singer, but for that bit who cares).

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Just watched it this afternoon.

I was hoping for a little more use of fathoms below, since the show version on the Disney Wish uses it a lot - but overall I liked it (and Ariel/this movie and I go all the way back to the very beginning) so I’m prime target for it.

I missed Les Poissons but I figured it might have been hard to do. I could have done without the Scuttlebutt song, mainly to speed up that section more than anything. Awkwafina was fine, I think Buddy Hackett was just someone you can’t replace easily in that spot.

I did actually like McCarthy, I felt she gave it her own take without copying Pat Carroll’s line readings to death. Javier Bardem was pretty meh for me though, no real expression in his face or voice.

Overall, I think Cinderella is still the most perfect recent live action (101 Dalmatians is perfection and they did it literally 30 years ago), but I liked this, Cruella, and I’m one of the few who really liked Beauty and the Beast (Emma’s voice not part of the like though, that was a little rough).

Halle singing the absolute hell out of Part of Your World and the reprise though, drat I teared up.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Universal donated their Jurassic Park triceratops to Give Kids the World, and are now taking it back so they can put it outside the Jurassic Park store in Universal.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Anya posted:

Overall, I think Cinderella is still the most perfect recent live action (101 Dalmatians is perfection and they did it literally 30 years ago), but I liked this, Cruella, and I’m one of the few who really liked Beauty and the Beast (Emma’s voice not part of the like though, that was a little rough).

Big agree on Cinderella being the best of the live-action takes. They got everything right so it still felt somewhat more grounded (something they've tried to do with mixed success), but succeeded in actually feeling like an old-fashioned fairy tale. I also liked Beauty and the Beast, minus Watson's Belle. I wish they had just gotten someone else to sing her parts for her. She gets outshone in that movie so badly by everyone else who had more stage and musical experience. The amount of pitch correction they used on her is super noticeable.

I never saw Cruella but I keep being told that it's actually good.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Nottherealaborn posted:

Universal donated their Jurassic Park triceratops to Give Kids the World, and are now taking it back so they can put it outside the Jurassic Park store in Universal.
That seems like a really ungenerous reading of the actual post, which says that they're borrowing it back, seemingly with the charity's consent, for a few months to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the movie.

Doronin posted:

Big agree on Cinderella being the best of the live-action takes. They got everything right so it still felt somewhat more grounded (something they've tried to do with mixed success), but succeeded in actually feeling like an old-fashioned fairy tale. I also liked Beauty and the Beast, minus Watson's Belle. I wish they had just gotten someone else to sing her parts for her. She gets outshone in that movie so badly by everyone else who had more stage and musical experience. The amount of pitch correction they used on her is super noticeable.
Beauty and the Beast fucks up on much more fundamental levels than Emma Watson's voice. Too much of the script seems to have been written to address the tedious complaints of sub-CinemaSins level nerds who've spent the last 30 years whining about nonexistent plot holes and missing the point of the movie, and it's followed them so far down those rabbit holes that now it can't find its own point either.

The moral of the entire story is "beauty is not skin deep". That's the clear throughline, from the opening minute of the prologue where the sorceress disguises herself as an ugly commoner, to the closing moment where Belle searches the prince's eyes and finds the Beast in them. Everything is built on that. This is a movie that says, not especially subtly, "here is a handsome, popular jock and here is a scary, loner monster, and if you think you know which one is the good guy and which one is the bad guy based on that description, you're loving doing it wrong". It is a plea for tolerance and looking past labels and society's superficial expectations, delivered by a gay man dying of AIDS. Its heart is right there out on its sleeve.

And the remake fucks. It. Up. Repeatedly. The village is not misogynistic, full of eye-rolling scolds het up about washing machines and uppity women daring to learn to read. The scorn Belle gets is entirely equal-opportunity; the men and the women are united in their opinion of her, which is "it is extremely strange that someone that beautiful bothers with reading, since looks are the only thing that matters". There's a whole song about this. It's called "Belle". It opens the movie. Again -- not exactly subtle. Ashman didn't have time for subtle.

From this village we have Gaston, and it is vitally important that Gaston is popular. First off, it fucks up the plot if he's not, since Act Three will revolve around his ability to have a villager institutionalized and a lynch mob whipped up purely on his say-so. Much more importantly, it fucks up the point that the movie's making. Gaston is basically the avatar of the village, all of its ideals given flesh. He's perfect and handsome and manly. He's got floozies hanging off of him, any of which he could have for the asking, but he's set on Belle. Why? "The inventor's daughter? But she's..." "The most beautiful girl in town! And that makes her the best. And don't I deserve the best?" There you go, there's the entire thesis of the movie, spoken out loud. They have nothing in common but their looks, and looks are the only thing that matters. And Gaston is wrong. And the village is wrong, too, which is why they celebrate him, and why Belle wants out.

And you lose all of that by making Gaston a weird semi-recluse who the town side-eyes, as much of an outcast as Belle, so much so that Lefou has to bribe the patrons at the pub (and, incidentally, if they don't like Gaston, what the gently caress are they doing hanging out there? That's his pub) to participate in "Gaston". It's the most baffling choice, it adds absolutely nothing and completely wrenches the entire story so badly out of true that it can never get rolling again. They don't need to be bribed and cajoled into celebrating how great Gaston is. They're dying to do it! They love the guy! He's literally everything they think people ought to be!

But no, we have to gently caress all of that up so we can devote a bunch of time to going "noooooo, Belle doesn't have Stockholm Syndrome, even though she clearly never did in the first place, please don't write clickbait thinkpieces about us again" and ticking nerd-box ephemera like "yes, it is a bit hosed up that the sorceress cursed a dog and a toddler, but rather than just acknowledging that maybe she was a random curse-slinging sorceress and perhaps not a moral paragon herself, let's weakly justify it" and "well sure, I suppose that logically since the castle is within a day's ride of the town, the Beast would be their liege lord, so ummm oops! turns out everyone forgot about that and also any of their loved ones if they were working in the castle, there, does that make things better and not actually way more complicated and upsetting than if we'd just let it go unremarked on", who loving cares it is a fairy tale.

...that one may have been festering for a while.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Actually, Belle totally had Stockholm Syndrome in the first place.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The tribute store is temporary, yeah. It’s probably running until HHN merch drops take over.

Last year that was like… July. I imagine they’ll give JP a bit more time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sir, this is an Aloha Isle

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

I don't disagree with a single thing you said except I think Belle despised the poor provincial town, and I lol'ed in the theater when they went out of their way to establish that, yes, Chip has a father, and neither of his parents are elderly as gently caress.

The rest, I just shut my brain off and let it wash over me. The songs where Belle wasn't singing were very good and they included the one deleted scene song, so I mostly enjoyed it. Next time it gets queued up on Disney+ at my house though, I'm going to remember your post and actually think about it this time.

EDIT: Nearly forgot, that movie dropped the ball on Belle's dress. Super underwhelming. Actually, aside from Cinderella, it's been shocking how bad of a job the live action movies have done with the iconic dresses that they've been marketing and selling to kids, very successfully, for decades. Little Mermaid may have been the worst offender so far. Both dresses were dull as hell.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 30, 2023

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Cruella slaps everyone but the dogs

I think I’ll watch it now actually. My son loved it, we saw it in the theaters twice.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/mickeyhardinggg/status/879718645735272449

(The original doesn’t seem to be on Twitter anymore?)

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I didn't care for how hard the live action beast went with the negging.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A point you've missed out on is that Disney adapted the French version of the story and thus the main character doesn't even have a name, just an adjective.

The stockholm syndrome reading of the earleir versions is one, but they tend to gloss over the weird incest of it. Belle is a secret princess and the Beast is actually her cousin.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

J33uk posted:

My Mum was very amused when on a corporate night out with me (HIMSS if anyone has had the pleasure) she got to explain how rotary telephones worked to a 30 year old co-worker of mine. This was thanks to one of the phone booths outside Kings Cross and they treated her like some sort of ancient witch. I really hope that the Epic Universe expansion keeps that sort of attempt at immersion and doesn't solely go for big rides and thrills.

It will. Monsters Land is basically a rethemed Hogsmeade, the Potter area is Paris from Fantastic Beasts, Dragon looks pretty cool though I've never seen the movies, and Nintendo is exactly what they put in the Japan/Hollywood parks so you can just look it up on youtube.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The list of lands opened since Hogsmeade is Pandora, Diagon Alley, Springfield, Batuu, and Nintendo, right?

I really don't think we're ever gonna see another non-immersive land again. Hogsmeade changed the industry.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Don't forget Toy Story and the Epcot France expansion, plus Avengers at DCA..

So yeah, Hogsmeade changed the rules.

e: oh, and the Fantasyland redo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
We're possibly never gonna see a new non-IP land again :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They just did Toontown at Disneyland.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The non ip lands creep me out.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

We're possibly never gonna see a new non-IP land again :(

To be fair,a lot of the rides at Disney were rides before Disney turned them into movies of varying quality because they didn't have a better idea.

Universal's schtick has always been "ride the movies!" anyway.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't consider Avengers at DCA or Pixar Pier (2018) to be an immersive land.

Honestly the problem isn't IP, it's relentless synergy which is often anti-immersion. Nobody complained about French Space Mountain being based on a Jules Verne book because "ugh IP", but Tony Baxter had been tinkering with a Verne concept since the 70s and Discoveryland was a way for him to squeak some of that into reality. People do complain about that same Space Mountain having been stuck in Hyperspace Mountain mode while the Columbiad with all it's Verne inspired gewgaws continues to look like a steampunk set piece, all because promoting Star Wars in a superficial fashion is more important than preserving the thematic integrity of Discoveryland (again, anti-immerson.)

The first rumors in France that the Star Wars overlay would go away pegged it happening in 2018, and it's still there today.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 31, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
edit: misread post, ignore this

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 09:57 on May 31, 2023

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Kong, Fast/Furious, Guardians, and Tron are IP but "just rides" without an immersive land around them.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
But it’s unlikely a non-IP land will be built at the major parks any time soon. Epic Universe is all IP except perhaps the central hub, and because of that I’m not all that excited about it. If every park becomes just a series of IP specific lands, then they lose their identity and there’s no real point to building different parks.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I think the part of Epic Universe I'm most excited about is the Universal Monsters area, probably because we have no real conception of what that's supposed to look like. There's a lot of room for creative freedom there, and honestly the monsters are so iconic that they barely even register as a company-specific IP for me (something Universal is obviously desperate to change, thank god the DARK UNIVERSE fizzled immediately).

I hope they have Abbot and Costello as walk around characters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Craptacular! posted:

The first rumors in France that the Star Wars overlay would go away pegged it happening in 2018, and it's still there today.
IIRC back then it was just part of their "Season of the Force" promotion to try get people to show up to the park while it was still too cold to enjoy doing so and was only there from February until July or something, but then they seem to have just decided that it's a 24/7 thing and that's the end of it being an overlay. I can see why it'd annoy you if you really loved the original version, but if you didn't it's basically the back half of Discoveryland is a small Star Wars land now since it's right beside Star Tours and the parked X-Wing. Also there's a statue of Wall-E right outside it because why not?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Arquinsiel posted:

IIRC back then it was just part of their "Season of the Force" promotion to try get people to show up to the park while it was still too cold to enjoy doing so and was only there from February until July or something, but then they seem to have just decided that it's a 24/7 thing and that's the end of it being an overlay. I can see why it'd annoy you if you really loved the original version, but if you didn't it's basically the back half of Discoveryland is a small Star Wars land now since it's right beside Star Tours and the parked X-Wing. Also there's a statue of Wall-E right outside it because why not?

Understand my points isn't that there should be no Star Wars in Discoveryland at all, but that the Space in Paris is unique in that it has an actual story told throughout it's building. It's not that we haven't had rides that break thematic consistency with the land (some of them were original and high quality, like America Sings appearing in Tomorrowland) but that they half-assed it so that people are shooting out of a 19th century steampunk cannon to swoop TIE Fighters and somebody said "eh, good enough." It's hard to think of a ride that's in the same situation as this, because few rides cloned around the world have as little story as Space Mountain in every other park and few were as thematically cohesive as Eurodisney's.

It's like replacing the CGI screens to Toy Story Mania with characters and footage from Elemental, but still keeping the oversized toy props in the queue because you're cheap. And then saying "yeah that's fine because the other movie is Pixar so it works with the Pixar Backlot land" although that isn't the problem.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Using the Euro Village set at USH as part of the epic universe monsters land design would be cool. Make that the Main Street hub of that area or something.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I was excited for the Universal Monster Area until I read a spoiler on what the setting is supposed to be,I forgot where I read this:

A descendant of Frankenstein has opened up the castle and village to tourists,so the natives are in on the zeitgeist(kinda like some parts of Romania are with Dracula. It turns out all the classic monsters were slumbering under the castle and get unleashed by us/the descendant

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First half sounds bad and dumb. Second half saves it and sounds fun.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Quixotic1 posted:

I was excited for the Universal Monster Area until I read a spoiler on what the setting is supposed to be,I forgot where I read this:

A descendant of Frankenstein has opened up the castle and village to tourists,so the natives are in on the zeitgeist(kinda like some parts of Romania are with Dracula. It turns out all the classic monsters were slumbering under the castle and get unleashed by us/the descendant
That sounds cool and fun, though?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Craptacular! posted:

Understand my points isn't that there should be no Star Wars in Discoveryland at all, but that the Space in Paris is unique in that it has an actual story told throughout it's building. It's not that we haven't had rides that break thematic consistency with the land (some of them were original and high quality, like America Sings appearing in Tomorrowland) but that they half-assed it so that people are shooting out of a 19th century steampunk cannon to swoop TIE Fighters and somebody said "eh, good enough." It's hard to think of a ride that's in the same situation as this, because few rides cloned around the world have as little story as Space Mountain in every other park and few were as thematically cohesive as Eurodisney's.

It's like replacing the CGI screens to Toy Story Mania with characters and footage from Elemental, but still keeping the oversized toy props in the queue because you're cheap. And then saying "yeah that's fine because the other movie is Pixar so it works with the Pixar Backlot land" although that isn't the problem.
My point is the theming is completely trashed now anyway, and was before the seasonal overlay stopped being seasonal. Sure there's a bit of a tone shift between the workings of a steampunk cannon and the launch bay being full of Star Wars flags, but that's now just the Discoveryland vibe. Same way the Discoveryland Theatre shows Mickey's PhilharMagic sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Quixotic1 posted:

This is exactly the type of backstory they give their HHN houses. A year round HHN-esque land would be really cool.

Agreed too that this land has my interest the most, followed by the hub area which will supposedly be astronomy themed. For Nintendoland, we know what it is. I still think a third Potter land is dumb and short-sighted. The franchise is dying and it just further muddies the identity of their parks. "How to Train Your Dragon" land - yes I know the movies were successful hits, but they don't have wide appeal and have been lost in the huge sea of other "acceptable" animated films. I really hate that they went through with this one.