Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Alhazred posted:

It also shows how evil and brutal the city government is. They have relations with Hell and no one there thinks that's kinda weird.

Honestly, it felt a little too on the nose for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I mean, if hell existed I'd drat well want an embassy available too, regardless of what my government was.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I couldn't finish Iron Council, it was kind of a slog. Maybe I should revisit it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

I mean, if hell existed I'd drat well want an embassy available too, regardless of what my government was.

I think we could trust the Devil not to abuse his diplomatic immunity.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Oasx posted:

I think The Scar is great, but it’s my least favorite Bas-Lag book by far, mostly because I really hate the ending.

yeah same. iron council is the best of the three.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

exmarx posted:

yeah same. iron council is the best of the three.

Totally this, the same, except the exact opposite.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I came into the book from playing Fallen London, where Hell's embassy is common knowledge and devils give public lectures on the value of souls, so it felt comparatively understated.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Iron Council is the best, although a bit Trotskyist. I’ve read Scar first, enjoyed all three. Don’t be afraid and just dive into Bas-Lag, it’s one of the truly unique and weird fantasy settings.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I found myself wondering what had happened to China Mieville not long ago, and found a rather unpleasant answer: scroll down to Sablefool's comment that begins with 'Whilst we do not live in...'

I read through the last 2-3 pages and it hasn't been mentioned, so the claim put forth on that reddit thread is that CM was accused of untoward behavior similar to what has been attributed to Warren Ellis, but has thoroughly scrubbed a lot of it from the Internet. It's suggested that his low profile could be related to that situation.

Pretty disappointing if true. He has a notice on his personal site about being stalked which is probably a response to what I've mentioned, so I have no idea really.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 7, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tosk posted:

I found myself wondering what had happened to China Mieville not long ago, and found a rather unpleasant answer: scroll down to Sablefool's comment that begins with 'Whilst we do not live in...'

I read through the last 2-3 pages and it hasn't been mentioned, so the claim put forth on that reddit thread is that CM was accused of untoward behavior similar to what has been attributed to Warren Ellis, but has thoroughly scrubbed a lot of it from the Internet. It's suggested that his low profile could be related to that situation.

Pretty disappointing if true. He has a notice on his personal site about being stalked which is probably a response to what I've mentioned, so I have no idea really.

This has come up before in the thread. The thing is, assuming it's the same person at least, what she appears to accuse China Mieville of is, being an rear end in a top hat. Her whole article is a lot of words about manipulation and gas-lighting and stuff, but I remember reading and not actually understanding what she was accusing him of, more or less cheating on her and lying about it, which is lovely but like...

The article referenced in that Reddit is the one I read a year or more ago, from 2012.

So, I don't know what to believe. Often in cases like this, there is more than one accuser, and there's a pattern of behavior. The complainer alludes to many other cases and says he's doing it to other women and then says he's using legal threats or whatever to keep them from talking about it. It's certainly plausible. I think it's also plausible this was an ugly relationship that ended badly. I'm not saying I hope another accuser comes forward, but

Also, it seems like he's mostly just writing non-fiction right now.

Er I don't want to seem like I'm white-knighting the guy, I'm not saying do or don't believe her or him, just it's hard for me to want to memory hole someone over some fairly vague allegations that appear to be unsubstantiated and unique - it's entirely possible he's a serial abuser and so proficient at it that he's keeping people from reporting or talking about it. I know the UK has very different laws about libel and such.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tosk posted:

It has come up here in the past (the original blog post from 2012, not the reddit recap).

It's difficult to really establish what happened in any concrete detail - could just have been a nasty breakup, maybe he's just a lovely boyfriend, could have been a genuine abuse situation. Sablefool (whose writing here is broadly insufferable lol) compares him to Ellis but there's no real specificity as to what he actually did - it does sound like there's a similarity in that it's about gaslighting and power imbalance but I'm not sure we have enough to really compare him to how serious the issues were with Ellis?

Not that we need every gory detail and I don't want to downplay it, but I don't really know what to take from what we do have.

It does seem fairly clear that part of the reason it's all so vague is that he made legal threats which is undeniably lovely and that alone makes it hard to trust him.

It's the first time I've seen his low profile connected to the situation and I think that's a reach to be honest; he's pretty successfully cracked down on the whole thing and it was 10 years ago, he went quiet much more recently than that.

e: yeah it was a good few years ago we discussed it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2994531&pagenumber=61&perpage=40#post485568937

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I had no idea the situation was that old! I hadn't checked the dates involved and as that reddit post is from less than a year ago, just assumed it was fairly recent. I would definitely agree it's all too vague to compare to what happened with Warren Ellis. I appreciate being corrected, thanks!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

pseudanonymous posted:

Also, it seems like he's mostly just writing non-fiction right now.

I think this is really all there is to it. He’s still writing and publishing, so I don’t get the impression he’s trying to keep his head down because of the allegations and such (which, as noted, are from a while ago). He’s just not writing and publishing the stuff that fans of his fiction necessarily want to read. It’s a bummer but :shrug:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Mieville could be making big cash by just pumping out Bas-Lag, the fact that he chooses to spend his time writing non-fiction to me is positive, because I am not interested in his half-assing his work.
I do hope he gets back to fiction some day.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/1663616544167829506

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Embassytown 2, let's gooooo

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Oh my god. I can't wait, I was just thinking today actually after I saw that Planescape is being revived that Bas-Lag is due something too.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tekopo posted:

Embassytown 2, let's gooooo

Embassytown 2 : Homophones.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I usually one-and-done books but I think I've re-read Embassytown cover to cover 5 times so far.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Written entirely in fraction words this time

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In some interview last year he said finishing this book was his "white whale"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Written entirely in fraction words this time

Maybe he apostrophe ll spell out all punctuation this time period

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I recently read The Scar followed by Railsea. Real mirror image books in a lot of broad thematic ways, it feels like a friend telling the same story, but in The Scar they're depressed and in Railsea they've had a few beers and is a happy drunk. Definitely loved the reveal around the Captain's arm.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I know that many people don’t like YA, but I still give a big recommendation to Railsea.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Give me a sequel to Embassytown or a book in Bas-Lag about the Ghosthead Empire, you coward.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Vanderdeath posted:

Give me a sequel to Embassytown or a book in Bas-Lag about the Ghosthead Empire, you coward.

No way, I want a High Cromlech book first.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Guess there's no better time to note this bit from a critical internet commenter review of PSS that caught my eye recently.

some rando posted:

Ending spoiler:And then it follows with a whole lot of magical mathematical gobbledegook that makes no sense, in part because it's supposed to make no sense, because the magic system is supposed to sound scientifically rigorous even though it lacks scientific grounding

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's almost as good as the review of embassytown where an apparent linguist/brain surgeon said that it was impossible for a species to be biologically unable to lie.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Literally punched the air in excitement. Hell yeah.

Also I didn't see anyone posting about this before, but back in December of last year, Miéville was on Chris Hayes's podcast Why Is This Happening?, of all things. They had a rather nice and respectful conversation about the Communist Manifesto.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tekopo posted:

That's almost as good as the review of embassytown where an apparent linguist/brain surgeon said that it was impossible for a species to be biologically unable to lie.

Lol. If you can find that I’d love to see how dumb it is.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was pretty sure it was in goodreads but I can’t find it now.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I finished The Scar a couple of nights ago and I just need to say that the chapter where they descend to investigate why the avanc is sick scared the absolute bejeezus out of me

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Literally punched the air in excitement. Hell yeah.

Also I didn't see anyone posting about this before, but back in December of last year, Miéville was on Chris Hayes's podcast Why Is This Happening?, of all things. They had a rather nice and respectful conversation about the Communist Manifesto.

Thanks for linking that, really enjoyable listen.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Idk if this tempers expectations at all but the new book is publishing under Pan Macmillan's literary imprint Picador so it might not be as outwardly sf/f as we hope

Might be more like Census Taker/New Paris

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Maybe it’s a classy horror.

Dude does good horror.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
SFF guys giving non-SFF novels a go is often an interesting thing.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hedrigall posted:

Idk if this tempers expectations at all but the new book is publishing under Pan Macmillan's literary imprint Picador so it might not be as outwardly sf/f as we hope

Might be more like Census Taker/New Paris

that's quite a range, as I really liked This Census-Taker but despised New Paris. I will get it when it is out but I hope its more the former

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FPyat posted:

SFF guys giving non-SFF novels a go is often an interesting thing.

The City & The City has some unnatural aspects but I’m not sure I’d describe it as Sci-fi or fantasy. It’s more like Balkan speculative fiction.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

The City & The City has some unnatural aspects but I’m not sure I’d describe it as Sci-fi or fantasy. It’s more like Balkan speculative fiction.

It's sci-fi in the sense that imagining a parallel Earth with different geography and history is always going to be. Even if you're realistic outside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Yeah, Miéville just writes really interesting and novel ideas. I'd honestly much rather throw the dice on some weird new premise than get a sequel to an existing setting of his. A long, more "literary" novel is super exciting.