Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

quote:

For the "ryokan somewhere" we're having a little more trouble figuring out, if anyone has good suggestions? We'd look for somewhere between Gotemba and Kyoto, inclusive of either, fairly easily accessible by public transport

South Gifu prefecture has a good balance of transport access and history/mountains.

料理旅館いずみ荘
0575-33-0426
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zqBH5BtLveeMcfXj8

peanut fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

peanut posted:

South Gifu prefecture has a good balance of transport access and history/mountains.

料理旅館いずみ荘
0575-33-0426
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zqBH5BtLveeMcfXj8

It looks like by train that about 5 hours of travel time (5 hours from Gotemba to there, 3 hours from there to Kyoto; vs. 3.5 hours from Gotemba to Kyoto). We thought about renting a van to go around, but in the end the trip is so big-city-focused it's not worth hassle to save a few ¥¥¥ by renting a car. Maibara is a normal stop directly on the main train line from Tokyo to Kyoto and is next to the lake and hills... and I also just noticed that booking.com specifically lets you select "Ryokan" which is pretty neat so I think I've just solved my issue. I had been looking at Japanese websites with Ryokan lists but the ones I found, at least in English, feel like they were designed in 1999 and I'm unsure if they've been updated in a decade, like this one: https://www.ryokan.or.jp/english

Some of these places look incredible, like https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/kyoto-garden-ryokan-yachiyo.en-gb.html

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Heckin lovely :3 Booking.com is p good in Japan, do whatever makes the most sense for you and your group!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lol I couldn’t tell if that was an earthquake just now or if the beer I just slammed on an empty stomach hit really hard.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Lol I couldn’t tell if that was an earthquake just now or if the beer I just slammed on an empty stomach hit really hard.

Apparently a 6.2 just tumbled off Ibaraki. The surest sign that there’s an earthquake is foreigner-in-Japan Twitter/Masto, it’s line rushing to comment “First!”

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was grabbing a bite and it felt surreal that no one in the joint really stopped eating so I was like 50/50 “this is an earthquake” and “I’m really drunk unexpectedly”, until someone said 地震ですね and I was relieved to see at least I wasn’t making it up :haw:

Anyway, tomorrow’s my last day. Thanks for all the advice etc., everyone. It’s been a great three weeks but my feet are absolutely killing me and I’m at the “ready to go home” stage after some last minute gift shopping.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Anyway, tomorrow’s my last day. Thanks for all the advice etc., everyone. It’s been a great three weeks but my feet are absolutely killing me and I’m at the “ready to go home” stage after some last minute gift shopping.

This is the point where I get depressed and panicky.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Two of our favorite places to eat while visiting Hong Kong were actually chains: Din Tai Fung and Tim Ho Wan. I realized yesterday that both have a location under 15-minute walk from our hotel in Shinjuku. So now I'm super stoked to eat more dim sum in.....Japan.

Edit - I knew there were Din Tai Fung locations in the US but didn't realize there are also Tim Ho Wan.....learn something new every day.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 26, 2023

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Unless someone is seriously injured or dead, your earthquake post is worthless.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Tim Ho Wan.....

Tim Horton's with Chinese Characteristics

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Kaddish posted:

Edit - I knew there were Din Tai Fung locations in the US but didn't realize there are also Tim Ho Wan.....learn something new every day.

Din Tai Fung are everywhere, we have them in Australia and I've been to one in Singapore. Pretty sure there's a Tim Ho Wan in Melbourne too :)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oh, I get that they're chains and ubiquitous in Asia but no locations around us, and the truffle soup dumplings from Din Tai Fung are probably one of the best things I've ever eaten. Evidently the one in Tokyo has crazy wait times without reservations, which is probably a good thing for us.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Speaking of food, any recommendations for 'you need to book months in advance, but it's totally worth it and the $$$ to eat there' places for a date night? We're visiting Tokyo, Okayama, Kyoto and Osaka so I would love to hear about awesome restaurants in any of those places please :)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Oh, I get that they're chains and ubiquitous in Asia but no locations around us, and the truffle soup dumplings from Din Tai Fung are probably one of the best things I've ever eaten. Evidently the one in Tokyo has crazy wait times without reservations, which is probably a good thing for us.

There are like six in central Tokyo by my count, and a few more further out or in Yokohama. The waits can be bad but maybe 30 minutes or so? Which isn't out of the realm of feasibility in my experience.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
I wouldn’t say it’s ultra expensive but you might need to book ahead of time.

Genkai shinjuku, the food there can’t be found out of country

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Wonton posted:

I wouldn’t say it’s ultra expensive but you might need to book ahead of time.

Genkai shinjuku, the food there can’t be found out of country

what is this? Chicken soup?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

(Kyoto) holy poo poo the humidity now that the rains hit

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lol, this is nothing

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It was worse when I was in Guangdong/Canton, China in summer, before the pandemic.

I still don't like it. My body isn't made for this weather.

Anyway I visited Nara today and I'm going to Hiroshima tomorrow.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the rainy season is nice. much better than summer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Carbon dioxide posted:

It was worse when I was in Guangdong/Canton, China in summer, before the pandemic.

I still don't like it. My body isn't made for this weather.

After spending July and August in Japan once I was happy to get back to the pleasant coolness of subtropical China.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can’t even imagine the summer tbh. I was drenched walking anywhere last week and that’s just end of May.

Unless someone tells me there’s a better window to get a good mix of fall jacket weather and colours, I’m going to aim for late October or early November for a 2024 trip.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I can’t even imagine the summer tbh. I was drenched walking anywhere last week and that’s just end of May.

Unless someone tells me there’s a better window to get a good mix of fall jacket weather and colours, I’m going to aim for late October or early November for a 2024 trip.

Last week was alright, the humidity came on over the weekend though. Yesterday is probably the last jeans day until late September.

More into November is probably better, it’s been staying in the 20s until Halloween in recent years in Tokyo area.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I'm trying to plan a ~3 week trip either in fall or spring, almost certainly next year. I really don't like heat and humidity. Having never been to Japan, does it make sense to do something on the order of a week in Tokyo (either start or finish) and then go north, with the idea being getting to Hokkaido/Sapporo? Most of the discussion about Japan seems to revolve around the "middle" with Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka/Nagoya. What, if anything, is in the north chunk of the country? We like nature and culture/museums so having "exciting fun" isn't critical. Also eating and booze (I'm curious about their craft breweries). And probably a Disney park because we are stupid.

One catch though is that we take a slightly dim view of "nature that we can get in the US" - friends of ours recently went to South America and a lot of their hiking/biking looked like... California, and without much else since being out in nature-areas means there tends to be a lot fewer people and accompanying "stuff". Which I get, California is a huge loving place with ferocious geographical variety and what it doesn't have the nearby states fill in a lot of gaps. But ideally, something different from that, within reason.

I've planned out a few bigger overseas trips in the past and was able to rely on Rick Steves as a pretty good filter for things that are worth seeing if you'll likely never go back - is there a Japanese equivalent? As people have griped, Google SEO is making this harder to figure out than I thought. Should I just rely on Fodors/Lonely Planet? I realize how insanely broad this seems but I don't really know what a good starting point is.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Onsens are natural and unique to Japan I would say.

Cherry blossoms, good snow, autumn leaves.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Mister Chief posted:

Onsens are natural and unique to Japan I would say.

Cherry blossoms, good snow, autumn leaves.

I am interested in onsens (and ryokans); are there better regions for these or are they generally ubiquitous? I guess for comparison if someone asked for creole food and swamp adventures in the US I would point them to Louisiana, not North Dakota.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Zachack posted:

I am interested in onsens (and ryokans); are there better regions for these or are they generally ubiquitous? I guess for comparison if someone asked for creole food and swamp adventures in the US I would point them to Louisiana, not North Dakota.

Well Beppu in southern Japan has the largest concentration I guess.

I love an open air onsen in the snow which would be an option if you choose to go north.

But yes in general there are onsen towns and such around Japan like Karuizawa/Kusatsu, Kaga, Beppu etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Let me try to go point by point here:

• Sapporo is one of the major cities in the country, but it's the anchor big city for Hokkaido (Fukuoka is such for Kyushu), so it'll have the big airport (easy flights to/from Haneda in Tokyo), amenities, etc. Hokkaido is pretty spread out and a bit rolling grass hills and mountains, which are lovely and less humid that most of Japan in the summer and get lovely snow in the winter (mid-late December on for ski season). There's an entire page here of Hokkaido sights, but do note that some of the big ones there include beer and hard alcohol breweries.
  • Disney is set right next to Tokyo. Alternatively, Universal Studios Japan is near Osaka. Might not be easy to do both in one trip.
  • Onsen are definitely uniquely Japanese, but also spread throughout the country - big 'onsen towns' near Tokyo, out in western Japan, in Kyushu, etc.
  • Guide wise the afore-linked Japan Guide is a decent shout, there's more that I know I'm forgetting but others can chime in.
  • I think a page or two ago there was discussion of museums? There's a lot of good museums that are maybe under-discovered by foreign tourists.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Onsens are all over Japan, but as somebody who has been to like every major onsen town, I will openly say that I have strong preferences for certain ones.

In Kyushu my top ones for feel is definitely Kurokawa, although there is a lot of good water all over.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

ntan1 posted:

Onsens are all over Japan, but as somebody who has been to like every major onsen town, I will openly say that I have strong preferences for certain ones.

What are your thoughts on kinosaki?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's ok --- the service is going to be generally pretty good, with a decent amount of competition on food and just general room quality. The main issue with Kinosaki is that the onsen water is sodium/calcium sulphate, which is one of the most common and simple in Japan. The town center is pleasant, but nothing particularly different or unique compared to other hot spring towns in Japan.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations on what to do in Kyoto and Osaka after 6pm? I do plan to go to Spa World in Osaka unless there's reasons not to do that.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Kyoto - chill out/have dinner next to the Kamogawa. Hit up Pontocho. You said you liked jazz and Kyoto is fairly famous for it, there's a bunch of jazz bars around the Gion and Shijo area.

On the other hand, you might not want to do this today or tomorrow...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’m visiting October 30th for two weeks so around then

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Oh then that's the perfect time.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Kamogawa at night has such a good atmosphere. I ended up falling asleep on the riverbank and when I woke up the next morning an old lady in a kimono was looking at me from her backyard and did not seem pleased.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Osaka after dark, go to Dotonbori or Umeda (E Street I think might be the main strip.) Halloween definitely do Dotonbori.

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Kyoto - chill out/have dinner next to the Kamogawa. Hit up Pontocho. You said you liked jazz and Kyoto is fairly famous for it, there's a bunch of jazz bars around the Gion and Shijo area.

On the other hand, you might not want to do this today or tomorrow...

I'm in Kyoto today and tomorrow... What did I miss?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Nothing huge, just the weather's gonna get pretty lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everwake
Aug 9, 2021

Discord: everwake#0311
Steam: Everwake
Xbox: everwake#3338
PlayStation: everwakePS
Nintendo: SW-0815-2733-9404
Mastodon: https://gamepad.club/@everwake

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Nothing huge, just the weather's gonna get pretty lovely.

Ok, that's what I figured.

I got in a full day of stuff today. If only one day of a 2 week trip in late-May/June gets rained out I'll consider that a win.