Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
X-post in’

I need a break from sponging, my poor bloody fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks everyone, I'm going to try to clip some of the helmets down, but overall I think I'm just going to use them. It helps that not all of them have axes. I think they will be less noticeable once I've got banners and vehicles that all have WB inginia. Also, as was correctly pointed out, I don't think anyone is going to care too much, and for anyone that does it can be "bring your bezerker to war day".

mllaneza posted:

Based solely on the photos I'd say they need another highlight pass. If they look fine in-person, ignore me, but otherwise they do need some variation in the red.

I've got another couple strips underway and am pushing the highlights a bit brighter, I think it looks better. In person they felt a tad dark, especially when placed next to my new ultramarines.

Yeast posted:

X-post in’

Those are very good. I'm about to do a couple myself. I was worried that due to the age of the kit it wouldn't look as nice, but you've clearly shown I need not worry about that.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Yeast posted:

X-post in’

Every time I think to myself "you know, I don't need an Imperial Good Guy army, the weird aliens suit me just fine" and then you go and do something like this.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Those Chimeras look great!

I'm very envious, they're so much nicer than mine.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Finished my Horus Ascended! Probably the best piece I've ever done. Took about a week, the most complex miniature I've had to work on, but well worth it. What a hunk.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
That's a very scary looking Horus!

I've been working on a Primaris Chaplain for my mixed Ultramarines Primogenitor collection. I can't really call it an army since they haven't seen the battlefield in a very long time.

The model is just amazing, and it's been a joy to paint. It's also my first Primaris marine, the slight upscaling does wonders for my ability to get some detail in. I just sprayed some varnish on the model, it's such a relief to not have to worry about rubbing paint off by accident.

He's still missing a shoulder pad and golden halo. I have to paint them separately, the shoulder pad in particular is impossible to paint if attached. I can see some small mistakes in the picture that I'll have to fix as well, but for once I managed to be tidy all the way through and not mess up earlier parts as I worked on the rest.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Decorus posted:

I've been working on a Primaris Chaplain for my mixed Ultramarines Primogenitor collection. I can't really call it an army since they haven't seen the battlefield in a very long time.

The model is just amazing, and it's been a joy to paint. It's also my first Primaris marine, the slight upscaling does wonders for my ability to get some detail in. I just sprayed some varnish on the model, it's such a relief to not have to worry about rubbing paint off by accident.

He's still missing a shoulder pad and golden halo. I have to paint them separately, the shoulder pad in particular is impossible to paint if attached. I can see some small mistakes in the picture that I'll have to fix as well, but for once I managed to be tidy all the way through and not mess up earlier parts as I worked on the rest.

This is good looking leather. Nice and scratchy.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Decorus posted:

Amazing work.

I finished up Abbadon yesterday. I learned a lot, but am now doing the "with what I learned, I'd do a much better job; maybe I should re-prime him?" thing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lumpy posted:

Amazing work.

I finished up Abbadon yesterday. I learned a lot, but am now doing the "with what I learned, I'd do a much better job; maybe I should re-prime him?" thing.

He looks great! I think if you start down the road of repriming him then he'll never be finished. You'll learn more/hone techniques as you paint him the second time, then when hes done you could repaint him and apply that and so on. For me that would end up probably burning me out. Apply what you've learned to something else instead, you can always reprime Abaddon a year down the road if you decide you really do want to give him another go.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Just give him as a present /sell him to someone who plays Chaos and get a new one down the road.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Max sized squad of rat ogres done, that's enough rat ogres for now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Use them as a custom Custodes kill team.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bottom Liner posted:

Use them as a custom Custodes kill team.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Geisladisk posted:

Those models are :swoon: the paint and the sculpt
Where do they come from?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Geisladisk posted:

Looking good, nice Custodes

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Finally got the gumption to just say gently caress it and put some work into it, it's 99% contrast paints, still a WIP of course

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Lumpy posted:

Amazing work.

I’m sitting staring at my own primed abaddon realising that past me was a colossal dumbass and glued the cloak on before painting.

:shepicide:

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
So ive decided to jump in to learning airbrushes because i started watching some of vince venturellas videos man some of that stuff looks nice, not that ill be able to airbrush like that right away but were gonna start learning.

I can get an Iwata eclipse at a hobby store near me for a decent price. If i remember correctly most AS186 compressors are made from the same company and just rebranded, ive seen people mention https://www.amazon.com/Timbertech-Airbrush-Compressor-Professional-Automatic/dp/B07VT3RV47 before, bout the same price as the compressors i could get from harbor freight.

I know i need to get a airbrush booth for ventilation, luckily ive got a window nearby i can just pipe the exhaust out of, all of the ones im seeing on amazon look exactly the same even if sold by different brands, is this another compressor situation? Got a respirator as well so i should be good on not breathing in horrid fumes.

Aside from

1. Airbrush
2. Compressor
3. Booth to draw the nasty stuff outside

Is there any other must haves for getting started with airbrushes?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

stackofflapjacks posted:

Those models are :swoon: the paint and the sculpt
Where do they come from?

Thanks!

First, third, fourth and sixth from the left are from here (I mirrored the one on the far right)
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-rat-ogres-pre-supported-133934

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-ogre-ratfolk-179179
Others are from here

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

So ive decided to jump in to learning airbrushes because i started watching some of vince venturellas videos man some of that stuff looks nice, not that ill be able to airbrush like that right away but were gonna start learning.

I can get an Iwata eclipse at a hobby store near me for a decent price. If i remember correctly most AS186 compressors are made from the same company and just rebranded, ive seen people mention https://www.amazon.com/Timbertech-Airbrush-Compressor-Professional-Automatic/dp/B07VT3RV47 before, bout the same price as the compressors i could get from harbor freight.

I know i need to get a airbrush booth for ventilation, luckily ive got a window nearby i can just pipe the exhaust out of, all of the ones im seeing on amazon look exactly the same even if sold by different brands, is this another compressor situation? Got a respirator as well so i should be good on not breathing in horrid fumes.

Aside from

1. Airbrush
2. Compressor

99% isopropyl alcohol. Mix 50/50 with water as a general purpose thinner and flow improver for acrylic paint (tested with Citadel, Vallejo and W&N) and spray pure to clean brush as well as for general brush cleaning.

FFP3 mask.

Edit ^^^ you can get isopropyl alcohol for less than 20% the cost of flow improver and it does the same thing and more besides.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’d be wary of recommending iso as a general purpose thinner for all airbrushing needs especially to a beginner. It doesn’t play nicely with a bunch of paints.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Aside from

1. Airbrush
2. Compressor

Make sure your compressor and air hose can connect. I bought a timbertek compressor and am waiting for the correct fitting. WTF sends an American a British Standard Pipe fitting?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I’d be wary of recommending iso as a general purpose thinner for all airbrushing needs especially to a beginner. It doesn’t play nicely with a bunch of paints.

I've definitely had issue with Vallejo acrylics with ISO. Makes the binder gummy and a nightmare to clean up. I find it solid for thinning tamiya!

Its worth doing some tests mixing thinners and different paint brands before you put it in the airbrush because one of the huge headaches with airbrushing is cleaning it out after a fuckup.

I use Mr Hobby's acrylic thinner for Tamiya instead of X-20a and tried it with the AK Real Color line which is very similar to Tamiya in that its in between a lacquer and acrylic in usage and it immediately gummed up but worked well with 99% ISO.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Thinner and Flow Improver are not the same thing.

Water by itself increases the ratio of carrier to binder thinning the consistency of the paint, by itself it will water down your paint and reduce coverage (it requires more volume of liquid to get the same consistency).

ISO breaks down the binder, making the paint consistency thinner without diluting the pigments, but it is also a drying accelerant, which will cause you to get dry tip faster. Using too much will also gum up your paint as it completely breaks down the binder and then causes it to dry out.

Flow improver is a surfactant, it disrupts the surface tension of the paint making is flow easier through the brush, it is also a drying retarder, so it will cause the paint to spiderweb when it hits the surface if you use too much.

The key is to use them both in the correct amounts.
Use thinner (ISO+water) to thin down thick paints, like if you use Citadel paints, or non-airbrush vallejo paints to get them to flow in your airbrush.
Use Flow improver to dial in your consistency and get a good spray.

You can make your own thinner with purified (or better distilled) water and ISO, somewhere between 1:4 and 1:9 ISO: Water ratio is probably best.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Mr Teatime posted:

I’m sitting staring at my own primed abaddon realising that past me was a colossal dumbass and glued the cloak on before painting.

I painted mine fully assembled, so you'll be fine!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Mr Teatime posted:

The Abby that my buddy printed for me had a super flimsy cloak and as soon as I started trying to paint it it just fell off so I decided "actually my Abaddon isn't wearing one" and never looked back. Seeing how he looks with one on though I definitely want to take another crack at it, That face looks amazing Lumpy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Has anyone used Army Painter Speedpaint on the old 1.0 rubbery Bones minis?

I feel that brushing on Vallejo White Primer and then using Speedpaint is the way to go, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with Reaper Bones and Speedpaint?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Has anyone used Army Painter Speedpaint on the old 1.0 rubbery Bones minis?

I feel that brushing on Vallejo White Primer and then using Speedpaint is the way to go, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with Reaper Bones and Speedpaint?

Prime them however you like, I didn't find the speed paints to work well on the raw bones material.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Yeah I can't imagine speedpaint sticking to old bonsium. It's too smooth and non-porous.

But vallejo surface primer brushed onto bones works just fine and I see no reason that speedpaints wouldn't bind with that like any other primer.

If I wanted to finish up the buckets of bones I have in my closet I'd probably do them with a contrast/speedpaint dip method.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
My Genesis Chapter Primaris Chaplain is done.

On a technical level, this is by far the best miniature I've ever painted. Somehow, I managed to paint the whole thing without messing anything up. Even the chapter symbol turned out okay, with all those straight lines on a curvy shoulder pad. :)

I would be happy with the result even if the model was twice as big. I'll have to take some better pictures this weekend, the light is a bit bad right now.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Decorus posted:

My Genesis Chapter Primaris Chaplain is done.

Very nice, he looks great!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
6mm shanty town, part 1

closeups:

a modest shanty

a shanty with satellite tv

a garage

trash man's house. fun fact: the top of the building is flat, the detail on the roof is just paint. the keep-out signs are plasticard rectangles

get some drank. the BAR sign and little keypad are also plasticard rectangles

if i were a rich man, ya ba dibba dibba dibba
i'd build a house with 3 AC units and loft held up by two-by-fours

community amenities

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That's some impressive 6mm work! I love the weathering details.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Where do you get those huge pennies?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ristolaz posted:

Where do you get those huge pennies?

all the pennies are generated by The Microsoft Bing™ AI

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Made my first from-scratch terrain today, and was my first use of resin. Went a bit sideways but since it's Nurgle, eyyyy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Finished the companion terrain to use the Malignifier pipe on something nice. My first time using resin and a foam cutter so it was a learning experience but I think it worked out ok.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Also, to the goon considering airbrushing - I got told OnewierdtrickTM for deep cleaning, especially the brass air tip (I use Harder & Steenbeck, it might be different on others)- Hoppe’s No. 9 gun oil.

It’s a lubricant for firearms, but works extremely well to break down acrylic paint in super hard to reach places by just pumping the needle in and out of the assembly. It’s cheap and one bottle will last you a lifetime.

I think a lot of people (myself included) when learning to airbrush think we’d cleaned the airbrush out really well, and then someone will go ‘have you checked here?’

This stuff really helped for me during long weeks of painting.

On the upside, I got to also visit a gun shop for the first time in my life.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 1, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Just mocked up a logo for my Space Marine chapter, which I think I'm calling the Manticores

Thought it would be a pain doing a "rampant" manticore so started with a lion head (to play off associations with The Lion as Dark Angels successors) and made a mane with part of the Dark Angels logo to also imply wings. Obviously will tidy it up before looking to get transfers made of it. Before I over explain it does this challenge anyone's perceptions of a Manticore too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just mocked up a logo for my Space Marine chapter, which I think I'm calling the Manticores

Thought it would be a pain doing a "rampant" manticore so started with a lion head (to play off associations with The Lion as Dark Angels successors) and made a mane with part of the Dark Angels logo to also imply wings. Obviously will tidy it up before looking to get transfers made of it. Before I over explain it does this challenge anyone's perceptions of a Manticore too much?

I think that's pretty wicked and the first thing I thought when I saw the horned lion head was Manticore. Linking it to the DA Wing is a nice touch.