Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

thinking about that story about her destroying a parliament house microwave by putting something in it wrapped in aluminium foil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

freebooter posted:

Without seeing the full context, would not be surprised if What People Should Be Wearing is the first hint of a dog whistle that eventually segued into some trans culture war poo poo

I would argue more it's some dress-code decorum poo poo, (men should always dress like a private schoolboy at a job interview), that branches off of the slut shaming style dress code stuff that the right wing establishment has for women.

I remember recently there was a thing where ABC Journalist Patricia Karvelas was kicked out of the press box because her shirt showed too much of her shoulders, (or something similar), for the Parliament dress code.

Which, to be fair is not a million miles away from what you are saying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Pocock never wears a tie but he's a brick shithouse so nobody mentions it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the libs all melted down about chandler-mather and bates not wearing ties in parliament on their first day

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's gate keeping bullshit to shame the common people

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-28/hirewire-philippe-petit-sydney-harbour-bridge-street-artist/102394658

Even high wire performers find :acab:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
McGowan just resigned

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

QUACKTASTIC posted:

McGowan just resigned

What! No not the God Emperor!?

I guess it’s a good time to refresh the government a bit so it doesn’t get stale. And hopefully he makes a move into federal politics after his rest.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 29, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I think he pulled an Ardern. Get out while they still think kindly of you.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

QUACKTASTIC posted:

McGowan just resigned

State daddy noooooo.

Who will lead the Glorious Westralia now?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Call it a Cincinnatus. Someone retiring from politics is someone who's actually been doing a job.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Getting ready to be the fall guy for the Perth Mint poo poo

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Call it a Cincinnatus. Someone retiring from politics is someone who's actually been doing a job.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
https://theshovel.com.au/2023/05/29/voice-to-parliament-scrapped-hire-pwc-instead/

The Shovel posted:

Plans for a First Nation’s Voice to Parliament have been abandoned, with Indigenous leaders saying it will be easier to have a say on Government policy via a rolling contract with consulting firm PwC instead.

Announcing the new direction, members of the ‘Yes’ campaign said putting PwC on retainer will save months of campaigning and lead to a better result.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://youtu.be/5CD5CIlScZ0

Why can't our troops have a beer when they are conducting operations??? Can't sink a few and kill an enemy any more!!!

I feel gross for having to get that link with my regular youtube account, i think i need to scrub it now

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Reading across a bunch of different media I'm surprised how many claim that WA was "closed to the world" or "closed to the rest of Australia" for the entirety of the pandemic. It reopened the state border in December 2020 and remained open in 2021 to the states that didn't have major outbreaks and lockdowns, i.e. every state except NSW, Victoria and the ACT.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

freebooter posted:

Reading across a bunch of different media I'm surprised how many claim that WA was "closed to the world" or "closed to the rest of Australia" for the entirety of the pandemic. It reopened the state border in December 2020 and remained open in 2021 to the states that didn't have major outbreaks and lockdowns, i.e. every state except NSW, Victoria and the ACT.

I don't know what media you're reading but they sound like shitheads, OP

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/is-the-government-too-reliant-on-consultants-/102414006

I thought that this was Kitty Flanagan doing a promo for the new Utopia series. Nope. It is Liberal Senator Jane Hume trying to cashsplain PWC and the enormous culture of coruption and crime that her government "oversaw". I put in the quotes because it was actually PWC that did the overseeing and were paid top dollar for their efforts.

It begs the question: Given PWC can't be trusted with commercial secrets shouldn't all of the Top Secret clearances for their consultants be cancelled pending a review? Oh wait forget I spoke. It's one of the big 4 that handles security clearances now too. Silly me. :blush:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TBH I'm somewhat glad this is coming out and being investigated rather than the pollies shrugging and letting PWC continue running the country for profit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

TBH I'm somewhat glad this is coming out and being investigated rather than the pollies shrugging and letting PWC continue running ruining the country for profit.

Ftfy.

Financial Review posted:

PwC was behind 15 schemes designed to help multinationals sidestep tax laws, Tax Commissioner Chris Jordan told a parliamentary committee late on Tuesday.

Financial Review posted:

The Tax Office shared information with federal police in 2018 about former PwC partner Peter Collins leaking confidential Treasury documents, Commissioner Chris Jordan told a parliamentary committee on Tuesday.

If there was ever a time to talk about a social contract to operate...

I pray PwC gets absolutely blasted into the ground financially over this, as well as every single company who used them to cheat the laws.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

freebooter posted:

There are other states besides NSW???

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hooman posted:

I pray PwC gets absolutely blasted into the ground financially over this, as well as every single company who used them to cheat the laws.

Absolutely agreed. Funnily enough my workplace has had PWC consultants before (not about tax dodging of course) so I’m looking forward to the next time someone suggests it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
they weren’t even good schemes

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

freebooter posted:

To be fair... us sandgroppers were deliberately egging them on to get the eastern stater tears flowing. Especially when it was after years of people outside WA constantly asking why WA exists, theres nothing there, Perth isn't a real city, I wouldn't be caught dead there, etc. and then the second the lockdowns hit the same people demanded to be allowed to fly over

Also consider that the reason WA locked down in the first place was due to being the first state to have an outbreak. Daddy Mac got us locked down fast and things were under control in about a month, while everywhere else seemed to go to poo poo

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Silver linings people. Silver linings.

:suicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The Head of the Reserve Bank of Australia wants two things:

People to not have homes to reduce the cost of them
A recession to force wages low.

He needs to be sacked, immediately, for failing the 3rd part of the Reserve Bank: for the general wellfare of Australia.

And if it's not his job, it will soon be his actual one. Because Guillotines have very high....productivity.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SecretOfSteel posted:

What . The . gently caress ?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rba isnt a good substitute for affordable plentiful housing

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

starkebn posted:

What . The . gently caress ?

We've had it wrong all along, landlords and real estate agents, benevolent and altruistic, are just trying to help you.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

SecretOfSteel posted:

Hey stop working from home and rent that home office out to make some extra money

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SecretOfSteel posted:

This is what happens when we outsource economic decisions to a central bank though. We are seeing results of the sins of previous Liberal and Labor governments at various levels.

hooman posted:

Nothing will happen, I'm afraid due to the way these firms are constructed.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

Recoome posted:

This is what happens when we outsource economic decisions to a central bank though. We are seeing results of the sins of previous Liberal and Labor governments at various levels.

Nothing will happen, I'm afraid due to the way these firms are constructed.

Hard to find the time to read through the solid wall of text that is First Dog on the Moon, but essentially a repeat of this from the Banking Royal Commission:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

PwC did the honest thing and apologised and I think we should accept the apology..

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The ABC Finance guy was positively gleeful when he said on the the radio that the Governor of the Reserve Bank plans to drive the country into a Recession because wages might be going above...3%. When the inflation rate is above 6%.

Expect further interest rate raises before he gets canned to enjoy his multiple millions and cushy job reward in the finance industry where he'll take advantage of the Recession to make his number go up.

And so he can buy more properties to allow his family to become land lords.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I'm not going to read the West, was the lower social housing only as compared to just before the estate housing was demolished? Or is it an overall longer term decline without replacement? I have no doubt the West would happily not report if the govt had recently increased social housing in anticipation of the demolishment but just don't know.

In any event, concentrated social housing is fraught with risk and WA used to be good in social housing front by insisting that every development, no matter how fancy or expensive, would have an allocation for social housing. Specifically to avoid "white flight" and concentrated poverty.

A bit late, but I reckon social housing is only fraught with risk now because it has become "last resort" housing. Back in the day my grandparents lived in social housing, but so did almost everyone in their town.

freebooter posted:

Yeah, and there were times where it was difficult, but not entirely impossible. I was kinda surprised how upset people from those states were about not being able to come to WA.... And stuff like the bit in bold below was why:

Paingod556 posted:

To be fair... us sandgroppers were deliberately egging them on to get the eastern stater tears flowing. Especially when it was after years of people outside WA constantly asking why WA exists, theres nothing there, Perth isn't a real city, I wouldn't be caught dead there, etc. and then the second the lockdowns hit the same people demanded to be allowed to fly over

Also consider that the reason WA locked down in the first place was due to being the first state to have an outbreak. Daddy Mac got us locked down fast and things were under control in about a month, while everywhere else seemed to go to poo poo

I mean, from a WA perspective it seemed the eastern states people were asking us to throw open our borders so they could come and infect us all because of some mix of "it's not fair that we have lockdowns and live music bans and you don't, let 'er rip :regd08:" and "I want to enjoy a holiday/see my family like the good old days, gently caress the rest of you".

I know it's not as simple as that, but it's not like us sandgropers didn't miss out, either - I couldn't see my grandmother before she died, and while I could have gone to her funeral, I would have been locked out of the state for months until I could come home. So we attended her funeral online... Which was a good decision, considering that some of our extended family came down with covid not long after (presumably from the funeral - where everyone was wearing masks).

Does anyone else remember that article (I think it was from Crikey? But I can't find it) about how throwing open the borders had all downside and minimal upside to WA people, so of course we were reluctant?

froglet fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 31, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Nothing wrong with social housing, what is important is to avoid the projects effect in the UK that actively (and to some extent, by design) segregated socio economic classes. this is done by spreading it throughput the community. Don't put all the people exiting a rehab program in one massive building in the light industrial area no matter how much cheaper it is (and how much someone from Nedlands despises having an ex-con in their community), for instance.

Bit of the WA vs east coast is a bit of jealousy, I think. WA did have more restrictive setting for the general population, but was able to keep the main economic wheels turning on the boomtown iron ore and other mining industries that allowed WA (government at least, but also a lot of middle class workers) to keep saving up for the inevitable price rises that were built into world-wide lockdowns of productivity. Tourist sector in QLD and Tasmania was far more impacted than the gold mining and O&G industries as an example.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Friendly reminder social housing and public housing are two different things.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

froglet posted:

Yeah, and there were times where it was difficult, but not entirely impossible. I was kinda surprised how upset people from those states were about not being able to come to WA.... And stuff like the bit in bold below was why:

I mean, from a WA perspective it seemed the eastern states people were asking us to throw open our borders so they could come and infect us all because of some mix of "it's not fair that we have lockdowns and live music bans and you don't, let 'er rip :regd08:" and "I want to enjoy a holiday/see my family like the good old days, gently caress the rest of you".

I was fascinated by the people on the east coast who have never been to WA, have no connection to WA, have no family in WA and had no particular plans to go to WA who got red-hot mad about McGowan and the border closures. People who did have family there, it's more understandable, but I mean - my entire family is there, I didn't see them for two years, and while that sucked it was worth them living a completely free 2019-esque life. If Victoria and WA had both been in lockdown nobody would have been seeing anybody.

And going beyond the utilitarianism of it I find it bizarre that WA and Qld copped so much flak when SA and Tasmania, who had largely identical policies, didn't. Obviously both had Liberal premiers so the media plays a role in that, but I think it's also possibly because they kept more quiet about it all whereas McGowan and Palascuk were acutely aware that no premier from a smaller state ever loses votes by criticising Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra. There seemed to be a lot of people livid at the fact that a premier's job is first and foremost to protect the interests of their state, and whose own premiers would have acted exactly the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

quote:

Does anyone else remember that article (I think it was from Crikey? But I can't find it) about how throwing open the borders had all downside and minimal upside to WA people, so of course we were reluctant?

Paywalled, but I also recall it being very good if anyone wants to post it:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/09/03/two-counries-border-closures/

Electric Wrigglies posted:

WA did have more restrictive setting for the general population

I presume you're talking about the state border closure here? In terms of day to day life WA was more free and open than pretty much anywhere in the world. (Except certain American red states I guess, but also without being swamped in COVID.)

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

froglet posted:

Back in the day my grandparents lived in social housing, but so did almost everyone in their town.

"Guvvie" housing in Canberra never had a stigma attached to it because it usually meant government housing constructed for public servants as departments relocated to the capital. Huge swathes of suburbs were built by the federal government (and I think actually by govt employed workers, not subbied out to companies) and then rented to workers at a fixed proportion of their salary. Residents had the option to buy the homes after they'd lived in them for a while.

Guvvies also included public housing for people who needed assistance but there was really no way to tell where/who these were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

SecretOfSteel posted:

How the hell does this rear end in a top hat still have a job? He literally presided over what is nominally the biggest loss in bank history and he dares still try to think he's qualified to say poo poo