Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
You can go to https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/ if you want to see high level job sets and get an idea of the job’s aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
high end job aesthetics are just what color are you going to dye your bikini or banana hammock

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If you're in a regular raid group (whether capital-H Hardcore or just "the friends who are around when I run stuff") and ever feel like you're the weak link not pulling your weight, go try to do some Party Finder. It's good to recalibrate what incompetence looks like. Fighting over what markers to use ("Yours are half a yalm closer to the middle, that's terrible!" when all you need them for is marking which way North is). People who "know the strats" going to the wrong side or trying to make stuff up on the fly. More vuln stacks than day 1 of an alliance raid.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 30, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

That gripe about markers reminds me: any time you're trying to find a reference point for mechanics, look at the floor. That ornate circle isn't just decoration, it's what you need to avoid when the AoE happens. Those lines? They're a grid. A whole lot of mechanics can be simplified by figuring out those tells instead of relying on a player-placed marker to be pixel-perfect. Save the markers for the stuff that needs their extra help, either because it's not marked in the same way or there's so much glowy stuff going off at once you can't see the floor.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

That gripe about markers reminds me: any time you're trying to find a reference point for mechanics, look at the floor. That ornate circle isn't just decoration, it's what you need to avoid when the AoE happens. Those lines? They're a grid. A whole lot of mechanics can be simplified by figuring out those tells instead of relying on a player-placed marker to be pixel-perfect. Save the markers for the stuff that needs their extra help, either because it's not marked in the same way or there's so much glowy stuff going off at once you can't see the floor.

So many floors show off mechanics, you can tell when they put the effort in.

Even now in the Voidcast Dais, there's a nice circular mark in the middle for the knockback (but I admittedly do put a square marker on), and his unmarked point blank AoE is drawn on the arena the purple circle.

My favourite is the knockbacks in p3s. There's two small orange squares by each tornado. By standing on one, you are left in the absolute perfect position to deal with the knockback and upcoming aoe.

It's even true in dungeons. The second boss of Troia shoots the lines on the ground that detonate. They're not rectangular AoEs, they're a sequence of circles. And those circles are drawn onto the floor.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Bruceski posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFvdWcYR5c4

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Even now in the Voidcast Dais, there's a nice circular mark in the middle for the knockback (but I admittedly do put a square marker on), and his unmarked point blank AoE is drawn on the arena the purple circle.

That knockback is one I like to use markers on because there's so much visual stuff going off. My preferred markers puts four there to make sure it's visible, since the rest of the fight doesn't need them. No "am I standing on the right side of C", it's "I am either in 3 or 4, I have X and the arena has Y so it's 4".

A guildy was noting stuff in the new Normal raids to guess at mechanics in the Savages. We'll see if he's right.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

That knockback is one I like to use markers on because there's so much visual stuff going off. My preferred markers puts four there to make sure it's visible, since the rest of the fight doesn't need them. No "am I standing on the right side of C", it's "I am either in 3 or 4, I have X and the arena has Y so it's 4".

Yeah I progged the fight with my static, and our normal yolo marks are 1-N, A-NE, and moving clockwise. All I eventually dig was plop 1 into the middle because we had a couple pulls that were off due to all the visual noise going on.

I did want to use a square specifically so you can even line up corners more accurately.

I find the others are useful at times - calling letters for Terrastorm 2 or Stardust safespots, etc., or as visual reference for cardinal directions, but definitely not necessary.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Re:jobs: I know I posted this in the newbie thread, but I can't remember about here. I made a video that gives a very quick at-a-glance look at the general idea of each job, their "gimmick," and how they play at end game. Might help new players wondering where to start, but as others mentioned, you can always switch later to try something else if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5-uOFecj3E

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

IX and X materia last patch were not good investments.
:negative:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah I progged the fight with my static, and our normal yolo marks are 1-N, A-NE, and moving clockwise. All I eventually dig was plop 1 into the middle because we had a couple pulls that were off due to all the visual noise going on.

I did want to use a square specifically so you can even line up corners more accurately.

I find the others are useful at times - calling letters for Terrastorm 2 or Stardust safespots, etc., or as visual reference for cardinal directions, but definitely not necessary.

The best markers I saw for the fight (and forgot to steal) had 1234 on the diagonals adjacent to the center. It makes it very easy for everybody to know where to stand for knockbacks while a ton of effects are overlapping since you're all standing close together. Terrastorm locations are still easy, just stand diagonally next to the markers rather than on them.

I've got the fight more or less cleared, I just didn't put all that much time into it last week.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Heran Bago posted:

The price peaks about 2 weeks before a patch

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stormblood LP concludes the 4.1 MSQ with some HIGH DRAMA!

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

I dunno, I made a good 2 mil from flipping the tier IX materia I received as dungeon drops over the last two patches. Pretty good for getting them randomly while I was otherwise capping tomes. :colbert:

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Robo Reagan posted:

high end job aesthetics are just what color are you going to dye your bikini or banana hammock

Wrong. I am wearing the Vietnam gear on my pretty kitty.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

if you're a tank and your armor glam doesn't look like it could help you take a beating i respect you less :twisted:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

World War Mammories posted:

if you're a tank and your armor glam doesn't look like it could help you take a beating i respect you less :twisted:

:hai: Underdressed tanks are not deserving of my commendations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What if I have abs of steel?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Armor is for the weak. I have Determination.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Hell, HP is for the weak. I have Superbolide

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
https://twitter.com/schakerin/status/1663651654216867849

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

For a while I was rocking the skyworker's singlet on my GNB before switching to the Makai trenchcoat.

I was still wearing giant gauntlets.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 31, 2023

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

did a lockout of p9s in a PF, which is probably the first time I've jumped into a savage/ish PF since maybe final coil? had a pretty good time, and it was nice finally having a fight I can run BLM on after practicing on EX/random content for the past few weeks. dunno how long I'll keep doing it, especially since my ult static takes priority, but as long as group quality doesn't get too dire I'll keep jumping in on nights that I'm free.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The next relic weapons should have us getting a degree at Sharlayan U. and we become Archons during the process.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could unironicaly go for more adventures at Elf-School.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Scholasticate questline from HW needs a sequel at Sharlayan.

Fourchenault: "Ahhh, what I like most as a member of the Forum is the quiet, dignity, and respect I receive."

*a giant laser lances the surface of the Moon*

Fourchenault: *eyes narrowing* "Scion House."

Fourchenault: "You Scions are a disgrace to this university! Whenever a nation rebels, it's the WoL. Whenever ancient archives are looted, the WoL. Whenever a human corpse is reanimated-
Thancred: "Now, I can explain that..."
Fourchenault: "That's enough out of you. From this day forth, Scion House is on dodecatuple-secret probation!"
PC + Entire Questline Supporting Cast: *synchronized /aback*

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

"Was it over when the Domans unleashed Bahamut? Hell no!"

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Thancred and Urianger don't talk about the time they lured the Dean's prized Chocobo into his office and fired a gunblade

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

p9s down last pull of the night whooooooooooooooooooooo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lucky you, we got past Levinstrike one time last night, and we're gonna have to reprog next week anyway since we had an absence :negative:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
We went in blind for a few hours last night and we think we have a solution for Levinstrike. Cool fight so far. Just don't like how long after the cast bar some of the raidwides resolve, which makes it a bit annoying to line up mits.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Just don't like how long after the cast bar some of the raidwides resolve, which makes it a bit annoying to line up mits.

I checked the logs for that and it works like this:
0:21 Boss starts casting Ravening
0:25 Cast finishes. This actually does nothing.
0:31 Damage for Soul Surge is locked in without a cast bar or anything
0:32 Damage is applied to players

So basically, if you see him cast Ravening, you can do 3 more GCDs before you need to hit your mitigation

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tamba posted:

So basically, if you see him cast Ravening, you can do 3 more GCDs before you need to hit your mitigation

That's just goofy. Why even bother having a castbar at that point.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I haven't seen the fight yet, it it apparent whether that's an animation bug or intended? Feels bizarre compared to what's been in the game so far, though I haven't examined them too closely.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not a bug. He does the cast, then a long animation plays where he eats the crystal.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i love hitting third eye as the cast bar finishes and it dropping off before the damage hits

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Arist posted:

It's not a bug. He does the cast, then a long animation plays where he eats the crystal.

Yeah, looking again at what was written it's a transition cast, and then an unmarked follow-up attack. That's something we've seen before the timing is just weird and unintuitive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, "Ravening" is not the actual attack, the actual hit is something else. It's not very intuitive for sure.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Tamba posted:

so there is no snapshot on the cast at all? i can hit reprisal 5 seconds after the bar is done and it will apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Awesome! posted:

so there is no snapshot on the cast at all? i can hit reprisal 5 seconds after the bar is done and it will apply?

There's no snapshot on the cast because the damage and the cast have basically nothing to do with each other. If you do it late you're fine, yeah