Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
We don't have official policy on cameras, so I turn it off in large meetings and usually turn it on in small meetings where I have a chance to actually remember people. But sometimes I don't turn on the camera at all and that's fine too, I don't see why you'd force people to be on camera.

wilderthanmild posted:

My current company has 100% coverage on all new things. It catches lots of stuff, but still misses some, and oh man is it a maintenance nightmare.

Call me when that is MCDC coverage and not line coverage :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I'm mostly camera on with my team and cameras off in larger meetings, though execs usually make passive aggressive comments when we have large, non-webinar meetings and people have their cameras off.

I do want to toe that line of ~ optics ~ but also gently caress our c-levels for holding 90 person meetings and being weird about cameras

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mega Comrade posted:

Don't use rackspace.

There's a name I haven't heard in a long while

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Xarn posted:

We don't have official policy on cameras, so I turn it off in large meetings and usually turn it on in small meetings where I have a chance to actually remember people. But sometimes I don't turn on the camera at all and that's fine too, I don't see why you'd force people to be on camera.

Some distant relative of my wife's that I met a few times at family functional mentioned that while her team was remote during covid she required them to be in a meeting all day with both mics and cameras on at all times. Just a meeting of bodily functions and keyboards clacking because she's a lunatic control freak. Oh and she enforced office dress code, including below the camera, via visual inspection.

I extricated myself from the conversation before I got myself banned from future family events.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

prom candy posted:

There's a name I haven't heard in a long while

You probably won't be hearing at all much longer. Pretty sure they are going under.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Some distant relative of my wife's that I met a few times at family functional mentioned that while her team was remote during covid she required them to be in a meeting all day with both mics and cameras on at all times. Just a meeting of bodily functions and keyboards clacking because she's a lunatic control freak. Oh and she enforced office dress code, including below the camera, via visual inspection.

I extricated myself from the conversation before I got myself banned from future family events.

absolute psycho

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

this person should be on a watch list

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

holy poo poo.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wish this was the first time I'd heard of the all day remote work video call

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Worst vibes: asking my manager for a PR review and getting a calendar invite as a response

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
this job market sucks, i hate it, can we turn it off and on again

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

10 years ago I would have put up with this while searching for a new job. Today I would quit on the spot.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Worst vibes: asking my manager for a PR review and getting a calendar invite as a response

Hah. I assume they won't have a single thing to say about your approach in the code, but I will a dangling participle in a comment you didn't even write that you will have to change.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Lol actually he just wanted some time to hang out and connect, and the pr ping reminded him. I think I might just stay at my current job forever

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Insanite posted:

holy poo poo.

I enjoyed hearing her complain about how everyone around her is an incompetent idiot who needs to be micromanaged.

When she said that I started to think about how at her employees' houses, they were complaining to their families about how some micromanaging psychopath was keeping them from getting any work done by making sure they were wearing the right shoes.

I shared my management style with her ("always feel comfortable coming to me with questions if you need help. don[t surprise me with last-minute bad news, tell me as soon as you know something won't work/is broken/won't be done on time. now I will leave you the gently caress alone because I trust you"). She was aghast, and I deftly ended the conversation before it could go off the rails any further by yelling "LOOK OVER THERE" and running and hiding in another room while her back was turned.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, I think there's a middle ground between 'boot licking corporate wageslave who thinks there is any reward for hard work other than more work' and 'nihilist rear end in a top hat disliked by all their coworkers' and I think in tech there's far too many people clustered on either side of that spectrum.

I think the oath to enlightenment goes “hard work is rewarded” -> “hard work combined with shrewd marketing is rewarded” -> “wait the hard work part doesn’t matter” and it’s easy to replace the third step with “nothing matters.”

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Lol actually he just wanted some time to hang out and connect, and the pr ping reminded him. I think I might just stay at my current job forever

Aren't you the one who works with the dev who thinks having a meeting without someone is violence?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Mega Comrade posted:

Aren't you the one who works with the dev who thinks having a meeting without someone is violence?

Used to! I was caught up in a layoff round, took a month to find a new job, and I ended up somewhere way way better. That dev still works for the old company as far as I know.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

raminasi posted:

I think the oath to enlightenment goes “hard work is rewarded” -> “hard work combined with shrewd marketing is rewarded” -> “wait the hard work part doesn’t matter” and it’s easy to replace the third step with “nothing matters.”

I don't fully disagree with you here, but here's a rant anyway, because this topic irritates me and every single job I've had has one rear end in a top hat who tries to treat it like some sort of cynical exercise in profit extraction to the detriment of all the other employees.

I think that the third part is where you find corporate ladder climbing assholes. Sure, if your only goal is to get promoted as quickly as possible, then you can cynically look at it and go 'oh appearances are all that matter, so I can just do fuckall as long as I get my marketing down' and sure, it might work in the right environment, but you're going to make a lot of enemies on your way to the top.

Which is kind of what I was getting at with my original point; everyone is at work to get paid, but I think if your literal only goal is to make as much money as possible, you're probably a sociopath, and frankly I kind of blame the internet for fostering this as a thing to aspire to, because it's basically the workplace analogy to pick up artist influencers. Sure, that poo poo might work, but uh, do you really want to live like that?

The alternative to 'hyper-competitive corporate ladder climbing' isn't wageslave bootlicker; the alternative is a whole spectrum of stuff where you can enjoy your job. You should enjoy your job, to one degree or another. That's not to say that you should mindlessly enjoy it and suck down corporate propaganda until you're numb to the pain, and there's plenty of things you shouldn't accept, but there's a whole goddamn middle ground there. Especially when we're talking about software dev, a job that almost completely avoids a lot of the stuff like physical damage that are endemic to other jobs, there's nothing at all wrong with showing up to work, putting in a reasonably modicum of effort, having a friendly relationship with your peers that isn't really true friendship but is a form of camaraderie, and then going home and enjoying your life.

Sure, modern capitalism is certainly trying to ruin that, but I think the better answer to that is to stick to your guns, set boundaries with your workplace as best as possible, and to not work lovely jobs if you can at all afford to do so. Obviously, some folks are in personal situations where they're literally stuck (small towns, etc) but I've worked some lovely jobs before and I've always been able to at least be friendly with people and try and find some upside there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Me: so when are we shipping the MVP?
Them: oh, we aren’t shipping that, it was just to have a milestone in the plan.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Milestone Visibility Placeholder

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
What are 3 ways you can increase velocity so the burn-down charts don't look sad at the end of the sprint?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

America Inc. posted:

What are 3 ways you can increase velocity so the burn-down charts don't look sad at the end of the sprint?

#1. Remove QA from the process and call it a dev sprint, line goes down when story moves to QA.
#2. Enforce swapping out points that are added during a sprint so burns can only go down not up.
#3. Resize stories point values for being the remaining work not their original value.

IE: This 13 point story only has 3 points left? Great it's now a 3 point story!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
And I'm pretty sure all three of those Aren't Scrum™

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

1. Inflate story points, a 3 is now a 5.
2. Commit to less each sprint.
3. Stop worrying about it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My job just switched from non-estimated stories and kanban to something more closely resembling scrum and I'm thinking of leaving. I loving hate this made up bullshit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

prom candy posted:

My job just switched from non-estimated stories and kanban to something more closely resembling scrum and I'm thinking of leaving. I loving hate this made up bullshit.

I came from pointless 'grooming' meetings where one person publicly walks through pointing tasks while everybody else falls the gently caress asleep, to a non-estimated "no deadline" kanban culture and can confirm, would not go back

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I came from pointless 'grooming' meetings where one person publicly walks through pointing tasks while everybody else falls the gently caress asleep,

That's basically what's going on already. We all vote on story points during grooming but the lead is usually the one who makes the final decision.

It's useful when devs on the team speak up and give their opinion on the work to be done during voting because I can see into their thought process. But as a decision-making exercise, it's pointless. I'm going to ask what our product owner thinks about it.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I came from pointless 'grooming' meetings where one person publicly walks through pointing tasks while everybody else falls the gently caress asleep, to a non-estimated "no deadline" kanban culture and can confirm, would not go back

Yeah I'm really disappointed. My team was constantly getting praise for getting a lot done with a very small team too. It was working well.

I have some money in the bank and I'm tempted to try to start my own company just so I can set up the kind of work life I want. But of course I'd probably end up spending most of my time doing sales and customer support instead of coding and hating it, or burning through my savings and not making any money.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

prom candy posted:

Yeah I'm really disappointed. My team was constantly getting praise for getting a lot done with a very small team too. It was working well.

I have some money in the bank and I'm tempted to try to start my own company just so I can set up the kind of work life I want. But of course I'd probably end up spending most of my time doing sales and customer support instead of coding and hating it, or burning through my savings and not making any money.

The best strategy I have for dealing with forcibly imposed scrum is to pretend it doesn't exist and skip the meetings. Forced scrum eventually goes away after a few months after the project it's being used on fails. Don't argue with scrum advocates or try to use reason, you'll have better luck arguing with Jehovah's witnesses.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

smackfu posted:

Me: so when are we shipping the MVP?
Them: oh, we aren’t shipping that, it was just to have a milestone in the plan.

Oh god, we're going through something like this on my team. Absolutely ridiculous.

In our case, it's a symptom of much wider fuckery. We've got a legacy monolith app that's being split in two, where our new stuff is supposed to get called by another team's new service, which roughly replaces the API of the old service. Only, the other team have written themselves a pass-through straight back to the old monolith, instead of calling us. Some mumbling about phased releases and split tests was involved, but the takehome is that the other team have given themselves all the leverage, and have left us high and dry.

Annoyingly, this is the second job in a row I've wanted to leave after less than a year. How many times is it acceptable to do that before it starts looking flakey?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
I wish someone could explain to me what the benefit of scrum is supposed to be (over a simple Kanban priority system), as I've never worked in an environment where we weren't randomized enough the idea of 'commit to what you're doing for the next two weeks' is just ridiculous. Maybe it's just a different team setup thing?

On my current team, oncall eats up a good chunk of that time, so half the time we look and go 'well I've got uh...twenty four engineering hours in the next two weeks to work on this project so I guess I'll...just keep working on the same thing I did last time.'

Part of that is that our current projects are hard to decompose down into something that can be delivered in less than two weeks anyway, which I guess just indicates longer sprints would be useful? Like we need some PM rigor, but I'm worried it's going to come from extra scrum overhead and I'm going to try and push for 'Kanban but we actually try and keep the tickets updated with relevant details'.

Like I can point to a bunch of things to increase our 'getting poo poo done' level, but none of it tracks back to 'fixed periods of sprint planning' compared to just 'here's the stuff I'm working on right now, you can tell because it's assigned to me and In Progress on the board' Kanban feels like a really good level of 'you can see your backlog, you can see status of things, you can see what's been completed' compared to zero organization.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Oh god, we're going through something like this on my team. Absolutely ridiculous.

In our case, it's a symptom of much wider fuckery. We've got a legacy monolith app that's being split in two, where our new stuff is supposed to get called by another team's new service, which roughly replaces the API of the old service. Only, the other team have written themselves a pass-through straight back to the old monolith, instead of calling us. Some mumbling about phased releases and split tests was involved, but the takehome is that the other team have given themselves all the leverage, and have left us high and dry.

Annoyingly, this is the second job in a row I've wanted to leave after less than a year. How many times is it acceptable to do that before it starts looking flakey?

Bigger companies with more uptight hr have asked me questions about two 1-year jobs in a row. Smaller companies did not care one bit. I suspect that trend extrapolates at least a little bit

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I can imagine pointing being useful if there is a variety of technical specialties or no strong tech leadership, so folks need to briefly discuss the easiest way or pitfalls for a problem, or figure out if a ticket should be broken up.
Meetings where the lead says "How many points should this one be? Wrong, the answer is 4!" sound fun for maybe 1 person.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I can imagine pointing being useful if there is a variety of technical specialties or no strong tech leadership, so folks need to briefly discuss the easiest way or pitfalls for a problem, or figure out if a ticket should be broken up.
Meetings where the lead says "How many points should this one be? Wrong, the answer is 4!" sound fun for maybe 1 person.

Oh you can't pick 4, it's not a Fibonacci number, agile sizing blah blah blah blah blah

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I used to pick 4 on purpose when I was bored with the meeting and wanted to irritate the Scrum master

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Just tell them 4 is the xth Fibonacci number where x ≈ 4.549.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Sprint planning meetings seem like they could be great if everyone had a decade or more of experience in the code base.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Falcon2001 posted:

I wish someone could explain to me what the benefit of scrum is supposed to be (over a simple Kanban priority system), as I've never worked in an environment where we weren't randomized enough the idea of 'commit to what you're doing for the next two weeks' is just ridiculous. Maybe it's just a different team setup thing?

As far as I can tell it's all about planning and projections on the business side. Managers need to tell their managers what's going to be done in 3 months so that those managers can tell their managers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
It's basically exactly that. If it's done well, the team velocity is reasonably estimated, short term (the 1Q level)
progress charts can be made with a level of reasonable possibility, and the business side doesn't demand the world every week because the PM can say "ok well this is what they're working on and this is how fast we've been going so," eng has reasonable, self generated timelines, and all is in harmony.

It is usually done, however, by taking whatever was happening before, adding meetings, and declaring "we are now agile."

Agile CAN potentially help your organization, but that's not a guarantee, and it really depends on workflow. It is simply not suited for things that aren't relatively short term product creation teams, who control their own deadlines and can work around external factors. Most things are not this.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 7, 2023