Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i wanted to ask y'all

what is up with all the star wars stuff hahaha. i loved all the movies as a kid

i watched phantom menace last night and wow i uh don't know. i mean it looked good to me but there was so much dumb stuff. jar jar. what is that mess come on

cousin todd watches that boba fett show whatever it is, i don't know. but there's so much star wars now.

did people go nuts for the new trilogy when it came out

are any of the new movies really good

No, they suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

As far as I know Star Wars went through a revival in the 90s which culminated with the prequel trilogy starting with Phantom Menace. I like it, especially episode 3. It does hit different from the original stuff. The newer trilogy (ep 7, 8 and 9) is super meh.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i watched phantom menace last night and wow i uh don't know. i mean it looked good to me but there was so much dumb stuff. jar jar. what is that mess come on

This is the proper version of Phantom Menace, anything else isn't worth your time:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5919C8DE6F720A2D

e: Or watch this yeah:

cumpantry posted:

harvey you should watch starship troopers

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 31, 2023

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i wanted to ask y'all

cousin todd watches that boba fett show whatever it is, i don't know. but there's so much star wars now.

it's all trash. leave it as the original 3. everything after was made out of greed rather than desire to tell a story. soulless, shiny, expensive dogshit

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

cumpantry posted:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i wanted to ask y'all

Great thread, dude, and welcome back to the world.

There's a lot more dumb stuff where those movies came from. That lightsaber fight between Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, and Qui-Gonn? That is the best "new" Star Wars you'll see on screen except for the movie Rogue One (which is basically "How did we get the Death Star plans in the first place?" -- a great film -- and sets up Andor, the best Star Wars TV show).

The Boba Fett TV show is meh, but the Mandalorian (who wears armor like Boba Fett's) is like a Western in Star Wars, which is a good thing, complete with things like its own Magnificent Seven (well, Two) episode.

eta:

cumpantry posted:

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 31, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I heard that Andor is actually really good but I haven't watchee it yet

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Congrats Harvey!

Star Wars got big again in waves, and while I like certain newer movies the quality is... inconsistent. Disney bought the franchise and the shows are really big right now, especially The Mandalorian. Baby Yoda was a big cultural thing. Some people are super into the franchise. I'm not really one of them.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Episode 7 was OK, but it was essentially just a remake of 4.

And yeah, the prequels are what you get when you let George Lucas run free with no one to tell him 'no'. It turned out in the end that the linchpin of the entire Star Wars franchise was Lucas's ex-wife Marcia. She rescued the original trilogy through editing and telling Carrie Fisher she needed to lay off the coke. Once Marcia was out of the picture everything went to poo poo.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

cumpantry posted:

i just watched the trailer and this looks cool thank you

but tonight i am going to watch the thing. my sister and i were scared to death when we watched it haha

i guess i should watch the star wars 2 and 3 just because, but i don't know about the others. we'll see

oh and cousin todd really wants to watch a movie called prey with me

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Prey is really good

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

The prequels were pretty universally blasted as bad by both critics and fans. Kids liked it. Those kids are in their 20s now so there's a resurgence of people who are both familiar with them and liked them as kids.

Disney bought star wars in the early 2010s and revived it. The new stuff has a pretty big range in terms of quality. They really flooded the market with Star Wars poo poo and had to scale their plans back when it wasn't as big of a slam dunk as they thought it would be.

The best new Star Wars stuff is the comics, imo. Really good stories that take more risks than the movies. There are bad ones of course but in general, all the movies and TV shows are kinds boring and generic to me. They look pretty, though.

Lots of people will have strong opinions on this subject.

I hope you find a pet you click with. Animals are my biggest passion. Try to get an adult pet if you can. Their personalities have solidified so you know what kind of pet you're getting. Tell the shelter what your home and schedule are like so they can get you a good match.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cousin todd is doing right by you, then.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i wanted to ask y'all

Jar Jar was supposed to be a sith lord in prequels 2 & 3 but Lucas chickened out and made an even bigger mess:

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-details-prove-darth-jar-jar-theory/#palpatine-carefully-orchestrated-everything

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i wanted to ask y'all

Andor is good. Very understated. Speaking as someone who thought rogue one was unnecessary but you might be blown away by how good it looks

Mandalorian is Xena with a big budget whatever that means to you

Play the games first

Tie fighter, X-wing

Then Dark Forces 1 and 2 then the force unleashed which I didn’t play but people seem to love even if the story doesn’t fit canon anymore

You can probably skip masters of Terras Kasi and Yoda adventures.

Prequels are a little on the nose but you gotta think of them as fairytales for kids like you’re a kid and not like Alec Guinness.

Sequel trilogy is…..eh. You have the novelty of the original cast back and when you get past the excitement it doesn’t hold up. Watch it. Forget it

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

harveys zoo zoos posted:

but tonight i am going to watch the thing. my sister and i were scared to death when we watched it haha

i guess i should watch the star wars 2 and 3 just because, but i don't know about the others. we'll see

Star Wars 2 is pretty bad. Star Wars 3 is also pretty bad, but the giant fight sequences at the end are impressive.

the awful dialogue from the movies spawned a decade of internet memes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

harveys zoo zoos posted:

Yo

Watch the first Matrix movie

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The Simpsons is also still on and it is so terrible now and has been for about twenty plus years.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

gently caress all these suggestions, watch the sopranos & the wire

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Andor is a real good Star Wars TV show. It's set at the start of the galactic rebellion (like 18 years before the battle of Yavin IV if I recall correctly) and there's a really cool couple episodes in a scifi prison. I highly recommend it and I'm sorry for the slight spoiler.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

okay someone asked how hard it was to avoid being part of a gang or stay safe from them

it wasn't that hard really, not for me anyway. the biggest thing was to not make waves. gangs' main way to get people was to offer protection for pay or as a gang member.

some people got jumped in unwillingly because they had something the gang wanted like connects on the outside. i didn't have jack poo poo though so i was safe hahah. also my friend lamar was really respected so i guess they thought i was cool too

but the first rule in prison is all about respect. you have to show it to get it. and if you're respectful people will mostly leave you alone unless you just gently caress up.

some rules i learned fast were-

don't say forbidden things like 'suck my dick', or call someone a 'punk'. a punk is someone forced to do sexual favors. they are usually small and timid and big men took advantage of them.
avoid eye contact. unless you're talking to someone directly of course. but man awkward eye contact caused a lot of brawls to jump off and worse
unless they approach you first don't talk to guards alone if you can at all help it. that looks suspicious. if you sucked up to a guard we called that 'riding the leg', so don't ride the leg
don't talk too long on the phone. it would cut off anyway after a set amount of time but drat people were so impatient they'd go wild if someone took too long

i mean if you bumped into someone on the block you wouldn't get beat up or killed just for that, it wasn't that bad. but you did have to say sorry man my bad or whatever. if you didnt well that could cause trouble later if you kept it up

so really it was mostly about minding your own drat business. but a lot of people cant help it just like outside i guess. but the difference is you will get molly whopped real quick

oh and don't drop the soap haha. that means more than just in the shower, it means dont be vulnerable in general

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Achmed Jones posted:

cousin todd is doing right by you, then.

honestly harvey one of the best parts of this thread is reading how much your cousin is helping you out. he obviously really cares for you. except for pointing you to SA. nobody is a saint

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

If you loke scifi there's a bunch of other good poo poo too, like The Expanse. Special effects and cgi are insanely good now where TV shows look just as good as big budget movies. It's not like the 90s anymore where there was a noticable difference between tv and cinema.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hey you like maritime fiction, watch Master & Commander because that movie kicks rear end

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Peggy Edson posted:

the prequels are george lucas sticking his head so deep in his rear end he can eat twice. episode 3 is okay

disney bought the entire franchise in 2012 and anything released since then is soulless corporate cash grab garbage

none of it is good

Disagree, Andor is excellent.

Although the prison scenes might be a bit unfun for the op.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

GolfHole posted:

gently caress all these suggestions, watch the sopranos & the wire

this

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

cumpantry posted:

Also: The Fifth Element

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I just realized OP got to miss ALL ten years of of GoT being the dominant pop culture entity

you lucky bastard

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Watch Deadwood. Stay away from Game of Thrones.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Game of thrones was really good, and everyone in the world was talking about it every week, but that last season was just hot garbage, and everyone is mad about it still.

The mandalorian is my favorite star wars property personally, but I was never a super fan of the original trilogy. It seems like the more a person cared about the originals the more they hated everything that came after, but if you are okay with a bunch of middling space western and not going to get worked up over it it's all watchable, if not always great.

And congratulations on getting a job! The last time was unemployed it took a couple of years to get a full time job again, and that's with a college degree, so I'm really glad you didn't have that kind of experience.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

With peace and love (and not trying to backseat mod) but I wanna float the suggestion that we NOT flood Harvey with media recommendations unless he specifically asks. We can easily flood multiple pages with suggestions in a couple days, amounting to weeks or months of content, and he'd have no way of knowing how to prioritize. Plus we already have megathreads in the subforums for the purpose of recommending stuff.

Harvey if they ask you to do anything unsafe or sketchy at the job, make a note of it, write it down, and research if they're allowed to do it later. Refuse things that look unsafe if you can do it without getting fired. Some employers will take advantage of felons because they know they have a MUCH harder time getting work. Businesses have been cutting back on pay, benefits, and safety for decades as means to inflate profit.

You should also be paid for every moment you work. If they make you stay 5 minutes late, you better be paid for those five minutes. Give your employer no charity.

I keep a doc with racist/sexist/etc poo poo my boss says, times they ask me to work without pay or do things outside of my job description, etc. I hope I will never have to use it... but I have. Dates and times and specifics have saved my job before. I'm lucky to have a job now where I haven't had to open that document a single time. It's the only job I've had in 15 years where it hasn't been useful

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
re: star wars

yeah i was a huge star wars kid back in the day but in general i've found the rule of thumb for star wars is "the more jedi are involved, the worse it is". this infects all the non jedi characters too, so first trilogy having tons of jedi rolling around is, imo, directly responsible for jar jar doing jar jar things.

there ARE some star wars properties out there that aren't terminally jedi poisoned but they're pretty rare and depend on your tolerance for the space wizards.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hey yall i got the job at the junkyard. i start saturday. i'll be splitting time between there and the recycling center. they take stuff that's hard to recycle like batteries and electronics, paint, oil, stuff like that

i might also get a part time job at a storage facility, cleaning out storage spaces that have been closed for non payment

That's the way it is
Get your money
Get live y'all
Earl Flynn

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Harvey if you want a goofy fun space movie, I recommend 1984's The Ice Pirates.

Just watch out for Space Herpes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5gHZWxxVhk

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus, shut up about Star Wars.

Harvey, watch The Raid.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

Jesus, shut up about Star Wars.

Harvey, watch The Raid.

Kindly take your own advice and shut all the way up, OP literally asked about star wars.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

You gotta watch The Room!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol getting really heated making tv and movie suggestions for a guy who was in jail for decades. classic gbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I used to be in the Star Wars sucks camp. I thought Disney just sucked at owning star wars and wrote off all of it. I enjoyed Rogue One, it's my favorite outside the original trilogy, but the other movies just sucked. Then Andor came out and it was amazing. I wanted more, so I watched The Mandalorian, and it is also great. Then I realized that Disney didn't ruin star wars, JJ Abrams did. The same way he destroyed star trek. He just likes to destroy what's already established so he can throw in whatever dumb poo poo he wants like an enterprise that was built in Iowa and is also scaled up 10 times larger than it was in the shows for no reason. Everything he's involved in sucks poo poo and he made me think star wars is bad now when it's actually really good.

So my advice to Harvey is, if you liked the original movies, check out Rogue One. It captures the feel of the old movies really well. Then watch Andor.