Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CelticPredator posted:

Hey why are they making a how to train your dragon live action movie

Money.

The Disney live action movies make bank, so it's not that surprising a DreamWorks CEO would see that and think "I wanna piece of that pie!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the sharktale live action movie is gonna be hosed up

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Hihohe posted:

if ya wanna see all the design sheets and notes for that movie here you go

https://www.traditionalanimation.com/cats-dont-dance-model-sheets/nggallery/page/1

Oh my god thank you!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The 7th Guest posted:

Bring back Scorsese imo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sir Lemming posted:

Luca made a decent first impression and has only gotten better with time. When you get past all the confusing discourse about whether it's really a metaphor for LGBTQ+ stuff and whether studio mandates got in the way... it still holds up as just a really solid "accept people's differences" story with beautiful artwork and a nice low-stakes Ghibli-style vibe. (I mean, you can definitely read gay subtext into it and I have no doubt they were trying to go there, but whether by design or by studio intervention, it is not there in the text. And it gets confusing when you consider that his parents are also sea monsters, so are they prejudiced against themselves, or...)

A metaphor doesn’t have to have complete 1 to 1 correlation. Do consider the two old women who out themselves at the end of the movie though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's just all the actors in a local public swimming pool, delivering their lines while bobbing about wearing armband floatation devices.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Don't even bother with character names, just make
them puns off the actors' names.

Anglerina Joleech
Marlin Scorseseal
Rockfish De Niroe
Whale Sm... Uh, pass
Jackfish Blackfish

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

CelticPredator posted:

Robindaybird posted:

there's unfortunately a lot of pissing to mark territory attitudes among executive-types, that they feel a need to shut down the successes of predecessors and change poo poo just to show they're the ones in charge, looking after their own ego instead of what is actually good for the company.
Besides the "not invented here" syndrome of it being the first time Disney basically "took" Pixar's property and did their own thing with it, it is also possible that some really unpleasant/nasty power plays went down in the making of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, something like Disney execs pulling their "we own you" card when Pixar execs objected, breaking of past promises, or Pixar people just asking if they can at least give their input and ideas and Disney saying no, etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The 7th Guest posted:

don't worry they've got AI on the case to do the will smith fish mashup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQr4Xklqzw8&hd=1

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CelticPredator posted:

Why do they make any live action remakes of animated movies? Because god has abandoned us

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Live action how to train your dragon? Truly, Satan has the mandate of heaven.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They should make a movie of the book How To Train Your Dragon while they're at it

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, I suppose the sequels could be improved upon…

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mystes posted:

They should make a movie of the book How To Train Your Dragon while they're at it

Also in the books Toothless was a lot smaller, Snotlout dies, Vikings never hunted dragons to begin with, Fishlegs was the son of a villain from the TV show and Astrid didn’t exist at all.

Anyway, have a new trailer for the TMNT movie:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IHvzw4Ibuho

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Das Boo posted:

Jackfish Blackfish

Lol perfect

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Larryb posted:

This looks real good, I’m not a Turtles guy but it really has a style and sense of humor all its own

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

That actually looks a lot better than I was expecting from the previous trailer

The previous trailer made it seem like the animation was good but the humor might not land but based on this trailer it doesn't seem like it will have that problem

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Some things about this adaption will definitely take some getting used to but overall it doesn’t look too bad (also I kind of like Grandpa Splinter)

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think emphasizing the teenage part instead of the ninja part is a really strong choice. I am excited for it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

This looks real good, I’m not a Turtles guy but it really has a style and sense of humor all its own

And also quoting Ice-T.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wittgen posted:

I think emphasizing the teenage part instead of the ninja part is a really strong choice. I am excited for it.

The last couple adaptations have focused on that, and it works surprisingly well. I think it helps they strike a decent balance between, these guys are awkward social outcast teens but also a firm and loving family who have spent most of their lives with nothing better to do than practice ninjutsu.

Personally I'm just adoring the faux-claymation style, it's hitting some very specific 90s nostalgia buttons for stuff like Plasmo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

After so many absolutely terrible versions, I'm not even particularly nostalgic for TMNT despite watching the first cartoon when I was a kid, but I actually think I want to see this one

I'm getting more of a Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse vibe in a good way

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

mystes posted:

After so many absolutely terrible versions, I'm not even particularly nostalgic for TMNT despite watching the first cartoon when I was a kid, but I actually think I want to see this one

I'm getting more of a Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse vibe in a good way

Honestly, if anything Spider-verse's biggest strength was having TMNT vibes at times.

I don't think there's ever been a crossover because Spidey and the turtles would just get along way too well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly, if anything Spider-verse's biggest strength was having TMNT vibes at times.

I don't think there's ever been a crossover because Spidey and the turtles would just get along way too well.

TMNT’s crossed over with Batman and the Power Rangers (more than once counting the comics) but I don’t believe they’ve ever been involved in a Marvel property (which seems like a wasted opportunity imo)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 31, 2023

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Unless you count the unofficial crossover that is their and Daredevil’s shared origin story.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It just occurred to me that we are probably dangerously close to a Bee Movie remake (live action or not). The memes are going to Morb it into existence.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

TMNT’s crossed over with Batman and the Power Rangers (more than once counting the comics) but I don’t believe they’ve ever been involved in a Marvel property (which seems like a wasted opportunity imo)

They also crossed over with the Ghostbusters.

Batman vs TMNT was real good. I like how it's one of those where instead of how the comics did it, they don't bother with any portal poo poo (despite both franchises having precedent) and just having a setting where the turtles' NYC and Batman's Gotham City both exist, and the characters aren't any particular incarnation but clearly incorporate elements from various versions. Also kinda funny that the Batman vs Shredder fight highlights that they're actually pretty similar in presentation and fighting style, being ninja martial artists who mostly leverage their strength, just Batman leans more towards technology while Shredder more to skill and mysticism.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mycot posted:

It just occurred to me that we are probably dangerously close to a Bee Movie remake (live action or not). The memes are going to Morb it into existence.

I think after the world watched Sony buy into the memes and re-release Morbius then watched it fall flat on its rear end second time, Paramount won't make that mistake.

Then again, expecting a major Hollywood studio not to make a dumb move is a dangerous call.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I haven't quite watched the entire Bee Movie but I feel that there was a very good movie hiding in there.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Bee Movie is a film about how capitalism is good, actually, and frankly I appreciate the audacity.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Today I was thinking about the old Ghostbusters cartoon. What the hell was Slimer exactly? Was he the goat is since guy that ate himself to death? Some kind of imp? One of papa nurgles farts?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Get this man to play the love interests boyfriend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbyEVp7MjtA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Panfilo posted:

Today I was thinking about the old Ghostbusters cartoon. What the hell was Slimer exactly? Was he the goat is since guy that ate himself to death? Some kind of imp? One of papa nurgles farts?

There's actually a bit in the IDW comics where the Ghostbusters themselves swap theories of Slimer's origins, which include nods to some proposed origins from previous side material. The commentary apparently jokes that he's the ghost of John Belushi. (and they also have the cartoon ghostbusters meet the movie ghostbusters)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was gonna say "he's the ghost of Zed from Police Academy" but decided to sleep on it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've seen some bad parenting in animated films but this mom in Next-Gen takes the cake!!!!

e: this is a film about how a bullied kid's life can be improved by having a gun. i am enjoying it but the messaging is so all over the place that i kind of have to ignore it. i do appreciate it showing may going overboard and realizing she's going too far with it at least. but lol. this is as messy as it is fun

e: e: odd 2nd-half pacing, I have kind of beef with how so many animated movies are 100+ minutes now when the 75-80m runtime of yesteryear made a lot more sense for animated film story structure, it ends up having an entire 30 minute climax and I think that's a bit much. in the end i did like the film though. more meaningful sacrifice than iron giant imo

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 1, 2023

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

CelticPredator posted:

If I found a real live dragon I'd want to show people too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

i've seen some bad parenting in animated films but this mom in Next-Gen takes the cake!!!!

e: this is a film about how a bullied kid's life can be improved by having a gun. i am enjoying it but the messaging is so all over the place that i kind of have to ignore it. i do appreciate it showing may going overboard and realizing she's going too far with it at least. but lol. this is as messy as it is fun

e: e: odd 2nd-half pacing, I have kind of beef with how so many animated movies are 100+ minutes now when the 75-80m runtime of yesteryear made a lot more sense for animated film story structure, it ends up having an entire 30 minute climax and I think that's a bit much. in the end i did like the film though. more meaningful sacrifice than iron giant imo

RebelTaxi's Pan Pizza said it's a cartoon movie for school shooters born from Netflix's lack of fucks when it comes to what their filmmakers do. I really need to watch this soon.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rewatched Batman Mask of the Phantasm and mourned a bit about how so many animated movies with bad stories get great animation but this movie has a great story and animation that is so inconsistent. Some sequences really work and others are like “oh the offshore studio didn’t quality control this or understand how to time out the poses…”

Thankfully Batman Beyond Return of the Joker moves incredibly well and part of the highlight of Jokers performance is just how well they can accentuate his emotions with proper timing and great expressions.

Oh yeah and I watched the new Spiderverse and it’s a masterpiece. I’m in the minority maybe as someone who enjoys the first one more though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ccs posted:

Rewatched Batman Mask of the Phantasm and mourned a bit about how so many animated movies with bad stories get great animation but this movie has a great story and animation that is so inconsistent. Some sequences really work and others are like “oh the offshore studio didn’t quality control this or understand how to time out the poses…”

I watched the Toy Galaxy video on Mask of the Phantasm the other day. The inconsistency you speak of is probably the result of the movie shifting from direct to video to theatrical partway through production. Coincidentally, they just announced a 4K release for later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

It's a shame a lot of the DCAU movies are inconsistent in quality.

Phantasm and Return of the joker are solid films. Then you have things like the Freeze movie, mystery of Batwoman, and the Brainiac attack film that are less so.